• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Tiers? (Include an explaination)

RednaXale

Smash Apprentice
I always thought Ness was top. He had amazing jumps, throws, and forward smash.

Surri-Sama

Smash Hero
Just for the hell of it I’m going to post how i think the tier should be (say or do what you want i don’t care this is imo and nothing more)

1. Pikachu
2. Kirby
3. Ness
4. Fox
5. Captain falcon
6. Jigglypuff
7. Mario
8. Yoshi
9. Luigi
10. DK
11. Link
12. Samus

Ok now i know you people will want some reasons so ill do my best to state the obvious

Pikachu is obviously top of tiers due to EVERYTHING, except for weight, and even that helps him in most situations.

Kirby at top level play isn’t great, but these tiers don’t include mind games so Kirby is second based off priority and EASY *** combos

Ness is unbelievably fast with DJC and has a LOT of priority, but his cool down from UpB is yucky

Fox is the combo machine but again his 3rd jump is ****ty, and being a heavyweight he is relatively easy to combo

Captain Falcon has easy combos, but when he is not doing a combo he is in a combo (remember this is if everyone was exactly the same) plus a seriously bad 3rd jump :\

Jigglypuff has very easy combos, strong smashes and an awesome finisher, to bad she dies at 50% by strong attacks and a shield breaker by ness is a KO =.=

Mario definitely has for the most part, unseen talent, to the avg player he is balanced but to an experienced player he is a pain in the…Err anyway...Mario has some really good combos that work very well against both heavy and light weights and his Usmash provides an excellent finisher, but the difficulty of these combos is probably the highest for any char imo, making him lower on the ranks.

Yoshi has great combos like Mario, Great speed and control like ness, but being minus a third jump hurts him a lot more then most people would like to believe, most Ftilts can push him away from an edge after his 2nd jump, killing him at any %

Luigi has many of the same properties as Mario but He is really hard to control which adds to the difficulty of his combos, he makes up for this with his special UpB (STFUppercut) but his "awkwardness’s" sets him back as most people don’t even understand his move sets and how they function

DK, has easy (small but easy) combos and finishes, DownB Cancel--> Charged punch kills most at low percents but his third jump is very easy to spike because it has no vertical priority and it give him almost no vertical gain, this plus slowness and a crappy Dash attack = low tier

Link's spot is apparently debatable by those people who like to argue over nothing, but to me i think its justice, his Smashes are relatively slow, his combos are a LOT more situational then any other char (minus Samus) and his 3rd jump leaves him open for anything, the only reason he is higher then Samus imo is his projectiles give him a good mind game, and help in setting up for all those "situational" combos

Samus, has the same problems as Link With none of the benefits =.=, mind games ftw?...

Zantetsu

Smash Master
FIRST OF ALL, I was obviously (well, obviously not obviously enough) joking when I said "this is the definite tier list and if you disagree you're wrong." I was simply mocking other people who are like that. Clearly this board has no sense of humor.
Sarcasm doesn't work on the internet. You should know that by now >_>

Playa96

Smash Rookie
New to the boards, wondering what a general tier set up for ssb is.
  1. Pikachu
  2. Kirby
  3. Ness
  4. Fox
  5. C. Falcon
  6. Jigglypuff
  7. Mario
  8. Yoshi
  9. DK
  10. Luigi
  11. Samus
  12. Link

1. Pika
--------
* Quick dash and jumps
* Small size
* Very versatile, long, and quick recovery
* Possesses an infinite edge stall
* Has invincibility frames during his up B
* High priority aerials, many of which have invisible hitboxes
* Very good edgeguarding
* Has a projectile
* Disjointed forward smash
* Abusable grab
* Good at juggling

2. Kirby
-------
* Great recovery(1 normal jump, 5 balloon jumps and the B + up jump)
* Has two spikes
* Less vulnerable to combos
* Surprisingly long range attacks, especially aerials
* Has a shield break combo
* Good at edgeguarding
* Fastest jab
* Fastest u-tilt
* Is invulnerable to non-throw hitboxes when a stone

3. Ness
-------
* Long recovery
* Has many invincibility frames during recovery
* Can Double Jump Cancel
* Has multiple shield break combo
* Has a quick, high priority spike
* Has two projectiles
* Fast roll
* Grabs have great knockback
* Powerful forward smash
* Can deflect and absorb projectiles
* Can juggle well
* Has a powerful Up-B

4. Fox
-------
* 2nd fastest dash
* Fast roll
* Has a good projectile (Blaster)
* Can reflect projectiles
* Has the shine, which can be used to spike
* Can juggle well
* Has many combos
* Powerful Uair
* Versatile Jab
* Good short hop

5. C. Falcon
------------
* Great combo ability
* Fastest dash in the game
* Low lag aerials
* Can spike
* Great throws
* Heavy, thus harder to KO
* Good short hop
* Deceptive Up B
* Decent reach

6. Jigglypuff
-------------
*Great at juggling
*Very good edge guarder
*Very long recovery due to her Rising Pound
*Powerful Down+B
*Small target
*Easy to hit with her Down+B (Just down air and then immediately use rest)
*Quick throws

7. Mario
-------
* Good comboing ability with a deadly finishing move
* Potentially a very good recovery
* Good projectile
* Has a spike

8. Yoshi
-------
* Can juggle many characters well
* Shield/Roll has strange properties that benefit Yoshi
* Does not flinch easily while jumping
* Can Double Jump Cancel
* His shield does not shrink over time
* His Down aerial is the most damaging move and can spike
* Has invincibility frames
* Good up smash
* His forward aerial spikes at an angle
* Has a shield break combo

9. DK
-------
* Attacks deal lots of damage and have good knockback
* Long horizontal recovery
* Greatest grabbing range in the game
* Has two spikes
* Good reach, which allows for good combos despite slow attack speed
* Terrific throw combos
* One of the strongest throws in the game, in terms of knockback
* Heaviest character in the game.

10. Luigi
-------
* Powerful finisher
* Huge vertical recovery
* Has a projectile
* Has the highest initial jump
* His Down B can be used in his recovery.

11. Samus
---------
* Fast dash
* Has a projectile
* Good recovery
* Ranged grab
* Has a spike
* Decent range
* Floaty
* Heavy, thus hard to KO.

12. Link
-------
* Fast dash
* Has a projectile
* Good recovery
* Ranged grab
* Has a spike
* Decent range
* Floaty
* Heavy, thus hard to KO.

'Nuff said.

Wenbobular

Smash Hero
Since when did Link spike?
And you failed to mention any negatives whatsoever.

Blue Yoshi

Smash Master
There are many things you missed Playa96, including, as Wenbobular said, negatives.

One major strong point: Yoshi's second jump gives him invincibility to almost all attacks throughout the jump until the yoshi uses an attack (you still gain the damage, but don't get shot anywhere). You can recover past almost any edge guarder. There are some attacks that hit yoshi and makes him flinch, but not many.

Surri-Sama

Smash Hero
There are many things you missed Playa96, including, as Wenbobular said, negatives.

One major strong point: Yoshi's second jump gives him invincibility to almost all attacks throughout the jump until the yoshi uses an attack (you still gain the damage, but don't get shot anywhere). You can recover past almost any edge guarder. There are some attacks that hit yoshi and makes him flinch, but not many.
This is not entirly true, even if you dont attack theres a point where yoshi can be knocked back, and attacks with very high priority (pikachus Ftilt) can easily "push" him away and laugh, well pikachu doesnt laugh but i do :)

hambread

Smash Apprentice
despite invincibility frames DJC makes yoshi a difficult edgeguarder...sort of. but yoshi has 2 smashes, projectile and bunch of disjointed hitboxes to make up for it (correction needed)

Surri-Sama

Smash Hero
despite invincibility frames DJC makes yoshi a difficult edgeguarder...sort of. but yoshi has 2 smashes, projectile and bunch of disjointed hitboxes to make up for it (correction needed)
What disjointed hitboxes are you talkign about, and Yoshi's Smashs are only as good as every other chars "DJC makes yoshi a difficult edgeguarder" and this doesnt even make sense O_o

hambread

Smash Apprentice
What disjointed hitboxes are you talkign about, and Yoshi's Smashs are only as good as every other chars "DJC makes yoshi a difficult edgeguarder" and this doesnt even make sense O_o
oh god. i should check my posts. thanks man i realise you constantly correct my posts.

disjointed hitbox was a massive typo. i mean big hitboxes like usmash or fsmash...they ARE big right...?
my DJC comment was cuz you only get 2 jumps (instead of 3 or more others get) so if you have to be careful with your 2nd one cuz you might cancel it.
say fox. fox can jump out and edgeguard. if that misses he can DJ for another nair or whatever. he can DJ without fear of being out of reach of the platform because he has UB to get back.
now yoshi: yoshi can jump out and edgeguard. if that doesnt turn out properly yoshi has no choice by to DJ back to the platform because he has no UB to support him.

tell me again if i made stupid comments. yeah thanks -_-

Wenbobular

Smash Hero
oh god. i should check my posts. thanks man i realise you constantly correct my posts.

disjointed hitbox was a massive typo. i mean big hitboxes like usmash or fsmash...they ARE big right...?
my DJC comment was cuz you only get 2 jumps (instead of 3 or more others get) so if you have to be careful with your 2nd one cuz you might cancel it.
say fox. fox can jump out and edgeguard. if that misses he can DJ for another nair or whatever. he can DJ without fear of being out of reach of the platform because he has UB to get back.
now yoshi: yoshi can jump out and edgeguard. if that doesnt turn out properly yoshi has no choice by to DJ back to the platform because he has no UB to support him.

Have fun with Nairing a second time with Fox :lick:
It's generally a bad idea because you usually can't make it back without Firefox, and you should never use Firefox unless you're sure you'll KO or you're sure they can't gimp you. Or you have no other choice.

Surri-Sama

Smash Hero

yeah thats true but see Yoshis UpB is really good for forcing yoru foe into places so you can make edgegaurding easyer on yoruself (if your Yoshi and providing the Egg doesnt kil them itself hehe)

Vex Kasrani

Smash Master
Here's my take:

1. Kirby
2. Ness
3. Pikachu
No, completely wrong

Kirby is very bad at the highest levels of play in this game.

Ness has a recovery that is abused very badly, also he is combo'd decently and dies at low %.

Pikachu is a ****** machine, he should be top.

everything is IMO, but most people will agree with me I suppose.

DaRkJaWs

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Sharifi_shuffle
The fact that DK is ranked so low by most of you only shows how little you actually knew how to play with him. Ill tell you now that my DK would have beaten Isai's pikachu at least 50% of the time, I can tell by watching some of the replays I saw of him. Just because a few of DK's **** sucks, like his dash(which you aren't supposed to use at all, but YOU DONT NEED TO USE IT), his uair, and his recovery, it makes no difference as you're not supposed to get into those situations to begin with. DK is very versatile, has the best throw, and has no lag on dair and sideair attacks...which are lethal.

Surri-Sama

Smash Hero
The fact that DK is ranked so low by most of you only shows how little you actually knew how to play with him. Ill tell you now that my DK would have beaten Isai's pikachu at least 50% of the time, I can tell by watching some of the replays I saw of him. Just because a few of DK's **** sucks, like his dash(which you aren't supposed to use at all, but YOU DONT NEED TO USE IT), his uair, and his recovery, it makes no difference as you're not supposed to get into those situations to begin with. DK is very versatile, has the best throw, and has no lag on dair and sideair attacks...which are lethal.
Are you trying to say, your DK can beat Isai's pika, and that DK's Uair is no good?

i lol'd too Thino xD

Sensei

Smash Lord
$100 mm? your dk vs my pika.

DaRkJaWs

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Sharifi_shuffle
I haven't exactly played SSB since SSBM came out...otherwise I would gladly take any of your offers right now. And why are some of you laughing at the fact I say DK's uair sucked? It couldn't exactly kill anyone...so please explain the logic there. By all standards DK's uair in SSBM and SSBB are better, though almost everything else is worse. Isai's DK also isn't what it could be. I don't see why he holds back so often with him, or why he doesn't even bother to let his punch charge(not that it matters), I guess he likes to play games. SSBM is probably the reason for that.

ShoeThief

Smash Apprentice
Except that since everyone here disagrees with you, that would make everyone except you noobs.
Unless you were the one who is wrong.

DaRkJaWs

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Sharifi_shuffle
Hey idiot: Obviously I knew most people disagreed with me...I ****ing said it in my initial thread, for any of you to argue with me on this is stupid. I agree with the tier list completely except for the placing of DK, who I would put in the top 5.

DaRkJaWs

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Sharifi_shuffle
Dude any moves can be used in a combo fashion, and it doesn't kill on it's own unless they're really weak.

DaRkJaWs

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Sharifi_shuffle
and that's not really saying a lot is it?....and that's still off topic. DK should be top 5. If he wasn't so good then why were his moves nerfed so much in SSBM?

Wenbobular

Smash Hero
Go play some real DKs DaRkJaWs.
You think DK was nerfed in SSBM? What, no talk about Kirby? Pikachu? DK has his cargo carry vs space animals at least. Kirby gets what...swallocides? Pikachu has a good Upsmash and...not much else?
And Fox is generally placed within the top 5 of the tier list...in SSBM he got even better. Your "DK got nerfed in SSBM" logic makes no sense whatsoever.
Learn some actual SSB.

Thino

Smash Master
uair is a move that doesnt kill doesnt kill so its useless?
you shouldnt be in situations where you have to use his or his UpB? cuz they SUCK?

those statement prove you're the one that doesnt know what he's talking about.

dont dare judging someone's skill with a character from a VIDEO (lol) plus from a game you didn't play LONG TIME AGO ! I dont think you do that in SSBM neither

Vex Kasrani

Smash Master
and that's not really saying a lot is it?....and that's still off topic. DK should be top 5. If he wasn't so good then why were his moves nerfed so much in SSBM?
Same reason Ganondorf was nerfed in Brawl

Theres no reason.

Also sheer, kirby gets ***** to much rawr!

Moneyman228

Smash Cadet
DK should not be top 5, here are some basic reasons:

His ground game sucks because it is to slow although it has decent range
His predictable recovery makes him a giant bulls-eye for Mario/Luigi/Jigg Dair moves and other spikes
His mid-air attacks have good range, but that range works against him because you can attack his giant body, true sh/l'ed bairs or fairs are quite lethal, but any good character will know how to counterattack and punish.
Although he has a great grab, he is a perfect target for shieldbreaker combos like mario/luigi's SH > Dair > Uair > Lcancel > SH > Dair > Uair > Repeat until his shield is broken.

Maybe he does deserve to be higher than were he is, maybe he doesn't, whatever the case, calling people noobs because you believe differently is not going to make people listen to you. It makes you look unintelligent, use tact and show people WHY dk deserves to be in the top 5.

DK didn't get nerfed in SSBM, he just changed. He changed quite well actually. Uair juggling and shffl'ed bairs are lethal when used right. I mained him for a bit in SSBM, definetly a fun character.

Kirby on the other hand got destroyed in the most cruel of fashions. Oh and Darkjaws, pikachu is a little ball of urine in SSB64, he is so cheap its freaking annoying. He could destroy DK with the utmost ease. If you think DK's grabs are good, you should see pikas backthrow...Its evil...

Top Bottom