• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Tiers? (Include an explaination)

AlexBarry

Smash Journeyman
yoshi is the best when/if played perfectly

however realistically, pika, kirby and falcon own top tier...the rest is up to you to decided. but without a doubt, pika, kirby and falcon on top. no questions asked
This is the most ******** statement I've heard in the past month. My brain couldn't even process the first sentence.
1. Any character should win if played "perfect"ly
2. Imagine a "perfect" yoshi vs a "perfect" fox. /headasplode
Neither would ever hit each other.

I hope the migraine you just gave me was intentional. If not, plz proof-read your posts. Better yet, think before you type.

_kSo_

Smash Master
This is the most ******** statement I've heard in the past month. My brain couldn't even process the first sentence.
1. Any character should win if played "perfect"ly
2. Imagine a "perfect" yoshi vs a "perfect" fox. /headasplode
Neither would ever hit each other.

I hope the migraine you just gave me was intentional. If not, plz proof-read your posts. Better yet, think before you type.

yoshi has parry and "just defend"

tech-wise, he has better skills. his DJC is 2 leet

Zantetsu

Smash Master
See this is what I don't get. Ness is top tier because he can be INSANE if played to the max. But the same with yoshi and he's bottom tier? The tier list is all screwed up >_>

AlexBarry

Smash Journeyman
Falcon's spike is not broken.
Maybe the people I play with just don't abuse it. /shrug

Zantetsu

Smash Master
Falcon's spike is not broken.
Maybe the people I play with just don't abuse it. /shrug
What I mean by broken is...The spikes that come out so fast like falcon, ness and kirby weren't supposed to be spikes. Thats why spikes in melee do a little charge kind of thing.

Wenbobular

Smash Hero
Too bad Ness has the mobility of a rat missing it's two hind feet.

Yeah, I lost a large post about Falcon being better than Pikachu.
It went something along the lines of Falcon having rigged combo starters on the ground.
Upsmash = giant pillow hitbox attached to man on jetskis. Maneuverable jetskis.
Throw = SSB64 near lagless throw attempts + stupid jetskis.
And from there, it's Uair x 20 --> Up-b, the stupidly easy to do finisher.
Pika actually has to work for his combos. It's harder to start from 0 with him. Though now that I've played him for a while, I'm thinking they're more equal now. Stupid gigantic hitboxes.

There's one thing that makes Falcon eligible for broken tier though, and that's combos that're relatively unaffected by DI. It's much harder to DI Falcon combos than people who rely on drills and multihits.

cam`

Smash Apprentice
pikachu combos might be harder but you can still consistently do them, especially when you have ******** hitboxes (f-air d-air u-air) you can use to open them with.

you can talk about tiers in SSB64 in terms of how accessible it is to play characters effectively, and in these terms i think the current tier lists (fox falcon pikachu kirby > other characters) are pretty accurate, but the 64 'metagame' is a worthless topic. what would the true 64 metagame be like? people 0-death'ing and nothing else? that's stupid and no one plays like that. ssb gameplay is too simple to be worth talking about tiers, unless you want to give some numerical value to things like priority and come up with huge averages. this isn't melee and any kind of tier difference can be overcome with mindgames (unless you are samus. samus blows)

Wenbobular

Smash Hero
I don't think Fox deserves to be higher than Falcon...he gets gimped almost as easily as Falcon does, and a lot of his combos need a drill somewhere in them to keep going...I'm not a big fan of drills. They're relatively easy to DI out of.

cam`

Smash Apprentice
i didn't mean in that order of fox -> ..., just that those characters have the most accessible and effective combos.

DSB

Smash Apprentice
Alright, here's my opinion:

Top:
Kirby
Pikachu

High:
Fox
Falcon
Ness

Mid:
Mario
Jigglypuff

Low:
DK
Luigi
Link

Bottom:
Yoshi
Samus

Dream Chaser

Smash Journeyman
My Take on the tier list is

-Fox
-Captain Falcon

High
-DK
-Ness
-Kirby

Middle
-Mario
-Pikachu
-Yoshi

Low
-Luigi

Bottom
-Link
-Jigglypuff
-Samus

Although I think it should be in three categories
The splits being in between kirby and mario and link and jigglypuff

_kSo_

Smash Master

Easier to use cheap wise. Throw throw throw SPIKE! But that shouldn't make him top tier =\
regardless, he can't be top tier kuz he runs too slowly and his recovery is easily edge-guard-able

if characters were hard to use and that made them low tier, then i guess since fox is hard to use in melee, he shouldnt be top tier? no, but i guess the tier list in melee is much better defined than the tier list in 64

vandwedge

Smash Cadet
First, forgive me if this has already been addressed -- I've read many of but NOT all of the 48 pages on this thread.

People have been saying a lot that "skill > tier" and "just because one player's link can beat another player's pikachu it doesn't mean pikachu isn't still a higher tier" etc.

My question then: what exactly does the tier ranking mean, if anything?

Does the list mean "this is how good the characters are for people who aren't very good at the game"? We've clearly established that it DOESN'T mean "this is how good the characters are for people who have mastered the game." People who have mastered the game (Isai) seem to really like beating people with Link and Donkey Kong.

Does the list mean "this is how easy the characters are to learn"?

"This is a ranking of character statistics that don't determine match outcome"?

Tell me, how exactly does one define the tier system.

greenblob

Smash Lord
Basically, imagine the best Pikachu you've ever seen. Pit that against the best Link you've ever seen. Who would win?

Surri-Sama

Smash Hero
First, forgive me if this has already been addressed -- I've read many of but NOT all of the 48 pages on this thread.

People have been saying a lot that "skill > tier" and "just because one player's link can beat another player's pikachu it doesn't mean pikachu isn't still a higher tier" etc.

My question then: what exactly does the tier ranking mean, if anything?

Does the list mean "this is how good the characters are for people who aren't very good at the game"? We've clearly established that it DOESN'T mean "this is how good the characters are for people who have mastered the game." People who have mastered the game (Isai) seem to really like beating people with Link and Donkey Kong.

Does the list mean "this is how easy the characters are to learn"?

"This is a ranking of character statistics that don't determine match outcome"?

Tell me, how exactly does one define the tier system.

Tier system would mean the best possibul playign style (an automaticly responding bot who can reflex to any action at any time and return intsiently with the best possibul counter attack) for each char, then who wins in a fight best link vs best fox..fox wins...bets pika vs best fox...pika wins of course we dont actually have the technology (or inteligance as 99% of you people have proven) to make a bot like that so we guesstimate :)

P.S.: also these "tiers" dont include the fact that DI is HUGE in ssb (dont argue because i dont care) ((bad attitude i know but again i dont care)) and no matter what char you are you can DI so the level of skill+DI+knowlage .vs. Technicalnessisims of tiers....we all know what really matters :)

Rupus

BRoomer
BRoomer
If two players of exactly equal skill were to go against each other, the one who has a higher tiered character would win the match.

Top Bottom