• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Tier List Speculation

Jamble

Smash Apprentice
I agree in that huge sweeping changes in this point are more likely to unbalance the meta as much as they'll help them because it may necessitate more tweaks in other areas. Plug one leak just to spring another and all. Even though trades may get brutal, I feel like a buffed recovery would remove a weakness while not messing with other parts of the meta too much. Something like weight feels like it'd affect other members of the cast more than a recovery buff would, and both things would help Sonic in some way at least. It seems the safe option to say the least.

prem

Smash Apprentice
no one answered my question about ZSS or tethers in general earlier so I guess I'll ask again. I assume people thought ledge cancelling was possible but no ones' ever done it right? I've personally never seen it been done.

so I found out how to do it with everyone

I assumed all the zss players knew about it, and I know I've posted about it when talking about how I think her recovery is fine and doesn't need any buffs. I'm actually pretty bad at it though because i never practice it but its definitely really good and should be abused more. I've also never done something immediately after that's amazing I should practice that

Last edited:

Life

Smash Hero
How's the labbing going, Sonic mains?

Because I'm of the opinion that Sonic is in a pretty good place right now, all things considered; but I want to know how far you folks have gotten in advancing your character's meta. Maybe I'll be proven wrong.

InfinityCollision

Smash Lord
Yes, edge canceling forced hops is known.

Worth bearing in mind that Sonic narrowly manages to avoid being mind-bogglingly annoying in many matchups in part by virtue of his tendency to lose or trade (and do so unfavorably) in exchanges. Some characters (Peach, D3) are meant to win trades. Sonic is not. I'd be very careful with any considerations along the lines of mitigating that.

Last edited:

Avro-Arrow

Smash Journeyman
Life Life Sonic is in an alright place right now, he's just hard to use. Like, take for example the Falco/Samus MU in Melee. Falco puts in a lot of work, and it's difficult, but it's still even. Sonic's spread is all relatively close to even, it's just it takes a lot of work for Sonic to win. Even the Zard MU for example, which is one of his favourable MUs, can be frustrating. And yes, Sonic is also very frustrating to play against.

Nausicaa

Smash Lord
Sonic is the worst he's ever been.
He's still good.

Ripple Ripple or anyone else, how did you make your gif there so smooth, clean, and sexy? What do you use for that?

DrinkingFood

Smash Hero
In my view, Sonic's design is very apt in this current version of Project M; he has clear weaknesses and strengths. However, I feel that his weaknesses somewhat extrude themselves too harshly for them to all co-exist. In my opinion, Sonic's three main weaknesses are;
I don't think we should discuss characters in terms of weaknesses. Usually having a weakness implies a character is weak. I don't consider sonic a weak character. Lacking a particular strength shouldn't be considered a weakness, it should be considered a lack of strength. For example, if sonic lacks disjoint, he doesn't have a weakness, he lacks the strength of disjoint. A character only has a weakness when their existing strengths can't compensate for any of the strengths they lack. I don't think there are very many characters like that in PM, to any dire extent anyway.

Last edited:

Jamwa

Smash Champion
but how does lucas struggle against cc when he has djc dair lmao
Jamwa Jamwa unleash your rage over SDI
:054::054:
anyone comfortable enough to not panic during lucas' combo game and realize DI is not as significant in mitigating lucas's reactionary combos as much as SDI will roll the control stick in a circle, and provided they aren't playing fat characters like ganon or rob, will tend to escape the plethora of multi-hits of electrically hitlag-enhanced attacks.
escaping usually means
- ASDIing to the ground so that your character can crouch cancel the incredibly low base and growth knockback hitboxes such as the first 2 hits of dair, the many hits of nair before the last (the landing one gets ccd a fair amount too since the trajectory means you usually dont need any SDI before you ASDI), and from there either shielding, shining (for spacies), or using up-b (samus & gnw-esque up-bs).
>>please note, you can only ASDI and cc shield dair if you are airborne when first hit, and then crouch cancelling the 2nd hit so that you may shield before the 3rd. of course, being grounded before any of the hits allows you to cc right away.
-SDIing upwards (against mag, nair, jab) so that you can either footstall out before lucas has finished his endlag (obviously this doesnt put lucas in the footstall lag animation but it lets you keep your double jump), double jumping out (and DJCing to punish if your character can do that, or using a b-move that cancels vertical velocity), up-bing, or just using an aerial/b-move before you fall back down into the hitbox.
-the stagger animation of certain characters whose hurtboxes are very thin horizontally can often escape the following hit of dair (whether that be the 2nd or 3rd hexagon) in certain situations where lucas is not able to manipulate his aerial drift enough to compensate for how the stagger animation changes those characters' hurtboxes (shiek, mario). this isn't really something that occurs often, because situations where you cant manipulate lucas' aerial movement are few and far between, but the most common scenario is when using dair to punish a whiffed attack, where you dont have the time to space dair appropriately (this is also considering they aren't SDIing which is unlikely, especially since whiffing an attack is usually a trigger to begin SDIing incase the opponent reacts). this basically means that dair is useless in these quick moments, and forces lucas players to focus on using either grab (which is also horrendously slow but its our main option that beats CC), pivot tilts/smashes, or a DJC fast falled bair from above.

so all that^ is why saying

If you're ccing then you're sdiing down
which won't help you
is actually opposite to the truth.
sure lucas has shield pressure (which is only safe if you're frame perfect), but the fact that you can force lucas to shield pressure even after he's gotten a hit confirm on his main aerials (nair/fair), or even punish if you have a quick oos option against dair, reduces the consistency of his punishes by increasing the amount of scenarios we have to either predict or prepare for depending on the situation.

as i said, this is all provided the opponent is comfortable with DI and SDI in this specific matchup, which is rare because lucas players are rare post 3.0, and thus the counterplay to this character isnt widely known. its hard to see a flaw in lucas' combo game when players such as hyperflame and neon showcase it so well, and especially when all you can hear is a bunch of multi-hits and buttons.
but once recognized, its very easy to learn and eventually implement this counterplay, as you mainly only need to focus on SDI when you're being combod, and learning to ASDI/CC isnt difficult.

When Lucky came to Australia, he could consistently ASDI and CC shine my nair approaches as fox, even up to 110% (he used shine before i could land/finish nair), and he could CC shield my dair and then shine oos. yes, lucky is a god because thats hard to do, but if a top level player can neuter lucas options out of neutral so effectively i dont see much of a future for this character's punish game.

i personally have no qualms with lucas' range, nor the priority of his hitboxes (as in, sweetspot/sourspot priority, not transcendence and all that). the things that i think are most important to lucas' moveset are either reducing his weakness to SDI by using SDI multipliers, or reducing the hitlag induced by his moves (but please, keep the electric aesthetic). i like how lucas focuses on using multi hits, and how he has to micro-space using DJC to be effective with his aerials/mag, and i think crouch cancel being strong against lucas is a necessary flaw we have to deal with as it forces you to be smart when throwing out his grab.
the current lucas is very in-line with his playstyle from brawl, in which he also had the ability to safely shield pressure (his nair and dair were +0/-3 on shield, and his jab was frame 2) if the opponent relied on shield as a defensive response. basically a character that flourishes in close quarters, and uses unconventional movement options to put himself into close quarters.

cc i consider healthy counterplay, because you must be somewhat close to the ground to ASDI into it.
Being able to SDI lucas' aerials/mag no matter the position is quite a lot less manageable though, as is dair's susceptibility to SDI and ASDI no matter the percentage or position due to its small horizontal range.

im not a very organized writer (which is why i use parentheses all the time), so if any points aren't clear i will elaborate and clarify when asked.
edit: i made a huge wall
edit 2: oh man i dont want to spell check this zzz
edit 3: readability (colours) since i suck at fluency
edit 217:
Overall Lucas:
* Range is fine
* Weak to CCing is fine
* I like his spacing and multihit design overall
* However weakness to SDI means ultimately his combo game is too easy to counter
* Too many electric multihits = lots of time to SDI
* Lots of time to SDI = ability to reach ground mid attack or outright escape up and out
* Ability to reach ground mid attack = ability cc the next hit and shield or use fast attack before final hit
* Ability to shield final hit = ability to force Lucas into his shield pressure

Last edited:

Avro-Arrow

Smash Journeyman
Ripple Ripple or anyone else, how did you make your gif there so smooth, clean, and sexy? What do you use for that?
I mean, that is arguable. In 3.5 he had more negative disjoints, so objectively speaking, 3.6 Sonic is better than 3.5 Sonic. Although, I'm sure that's not what you meant.

If you're talking about his position in the meta game, and I'm pretty sure you are, then that opens up a whole new can of worms. And you just may be right.

NyTR0

Smash Apprentice
Lol Sonic.... I feel like changing his weight would change around things a bit too much or just make things awkward. It would be nice to see a weight change but that wouldn't really do much. Disjoint is something that'd id say would be okay to change but my biggest concern is his up B. There's barely any reward (if any at all) with dipping down to try to recover cause you'll always just get hit. All it takes is for the enemy is to just sit there and wait until you rise up to just edgeguard. I'm not saying he should get a craaaazzy good sweetspot on up B (im looking at you G&W) but at least a decent one to actually reward for going as low as he does. You're better off SD'ing when you're forced to recover with Spring cause 99% of the time you'll just get easy-bake-edgeguarded because you cant properly defend yourself. (Bad hitboxes) This issue is something that should've been looked into a long time ago. Heck, I'm probably the only Sonic player that wouldn't mind a tiny bit of distance chipped off of up B in return for a good sweetspot.

Last edited:

TheGravyTrain

Smash Ace
NNID
Theboyingreen
Jamwa Jamwa

You can't crouch cancel/asdi down the first 2 hits of dair unless the opponent is airborne because if you are grounded, you get hit by an angle of 270. Also, though I can't quite tell, when you are talking about first hit of magnet at the beginning, you can't asdi down and shield that, nor can you asdi down so you can true cc the launcing hit. Every character needs to go through empty landing out of asdi down before they can true crouch another hit, so linking hits such as magnet prevent full crouch.

Jamwa

Smash Champion
Jamwa Jamwa

You can't crouch cancel/asdi down the first 2 hits of dair unless the opponent is airborne because if you are grounded, you get hit by an angle of 270. Also, though I can't quite tell, when you are talking about first hit of magnet at the beginning, you can't asdi down and shield that, nor can you asdi down so you can true cc the launcing hit. Every character needs to go through empty landing out of asdi down before they can true crouch another hit, so linking hits such as magnet prevent full crouch.
sorry, i forgot to mention forbidden sdi
edit: nvm im silly

Last edited:

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
I don't think we should discuss characters in terms of weaknesses. Usually having a weakness implies a character is weak. I don't consider sonic a weak character. Lacking a particular strength shouldn't be considered a weakness, it should be considered a lack of strength. For example, if sonic lacks disjoint, he doesn't have a weakness, he lacks the strength of disjoint. A character only has a weakness when their existing strengths can't compensate for any of the strengths they lack. I don't think there are very many characters like that in PM, to any dire extent anyway.
This is definitely an interesting way of looking at things. Not sure if I've ever seen it articulated in such a way before, but I think you're on the right track.

DrinkingFood

Smash Hero
Yeah it's more of a way of discussing/thinking about the game rather than any big revelation about how it works. Usually when I see people "complain" about something in game, like a character, the first things I see are "Does character[x] even have any weaknesses???" and I feel, for project m, the answer is usually no. And that's usually fine- it doesn't really say much about a character. What's important are the strengths they lack, it'll tell you for example what zones of neutral are safest to occupy against the opponent, whether you should DI for survival even if it means eating a bigger combo vs DIing away from the combo even if it means going further offstage, etc. Something's only a weakness if the character can't work around it- a weakness is something you can abuse. But most characters in PM have ways to avoid needing to scenarios where they would need strengths they lack, and if they can do that, it's not a weakness, it's just the character's design. ROB's shield for example is small and his OoS options are bad, but he has excellent CC options, a very threatening grab out of DD, and the ability to briefly avoid interaction by boosting around, plus gyro makes shield options a non-issue, on top of his DJC-like boost aerials encouraging opponents to attack him where he is rather than overshooting his DD- all those strengths make his weak shield and shield options mostly avoidable. Wario may have a slowish ground speed and not very impressive reach on the ground outside of DACUS, but when he can just jump away from almost anything and come back in in-time for a punish, he doesn't have to worry too much about being committed to grounded positioning. Characters should be defined by their strengths and designed to have no glaring weaknesses. You make more interesting characters if you ask players to work around the opponent's character's strengths rather than abusing their weaknesses.

Last edited:

Star ☆

No Problem!
NNID
Autumnflow
He's still good.
Sonic's worst incarnation was his 2.6 one for sure in terms of his strength as a character. Design wise, his worst one was definitely 2.5.
Characters should be defined by their strengths and designed to have no glaring weaknesses. You make more interesting characters if you ask players to work around the opponent's character's strengths rather than abusing their weaknesses.
I also agree with Strong Bad, this is a very intriguing way to interpret characters. As you said, I can understand that this is more of a mental observation of the game rather than how it functions and it's probably more practical to be aware of a character's strengths and work around them rather than abusing their weaknesses both from a competitive angle as a player and from a balance standpoint. I'll see if I can reword my post to suit this methodology. Thanks for the interesting design perspective; it sure gives me something to think about.

Last edited:

Jamble

Smash Apprentice
I also think that that line of thinking and attitude is going to help newbies like myself get better, aside from the talk about balancing the game from a design standpoint. Ultimately when it comes to a matchup and how to play it, you're not really thinking so much of what an opponent is bad at moreso you think about what you are better at in PM and how to best capitalize on that. It's a healthier place for discussions to talk about a character's strengths in certain areas and how to capitalize on that rather than complain about perceived weaknesses as well. That really did hit home with me.

Boiko

:drshrug:
Only the launching hits on Lucas' nair/dair/magnet are electric element. The multi-hits are no easier to SDI than any other multi-hit with similar properties. Weakness to CC is not one of the first things that comes to mind when I'm thinking about Lucas. Although, approaching with nair is just asking to get CC'd. SDI is generally good counter play against his nair/dair/magnet, but he has options to work around that.

Jamwa

Smash Champion
Only the launching hits on Lucas' nair/dair/magnet are electric element. The multi-hits are no easier to SDI than any other multi-hit with similar properties. Weakness to CC is not one of the first things that comes to mind when I'm thinking about Lucas. Although, approaching with nair is just asking to get CC'd. SDI is generally good counter play against his nair/dair/magnet, but he has options to work around that.
nair hits every 5 or 6 frames considering the 3 frames of hitlag each hit induces.
after hitting the opponent 3 times, its already been 20 frames. after 4, its been 25 frames. thats well within avg human reaction speed, and thats not even considering how smash players integrate progressive memory to reduce reaction times in situations like these.
holding any direction automatically gives you 2 inputs of SDI, and you've got 12 frames of hitlag to input more. its really not difficult to either SDI up and out of this move provided lucas isn't rising with you (rising nair new meta?)
approaching with nair is unsafe and asking to be cc'd, yes, but there's heaps of time to just ASDI and CC it any situation where your character isnt more than a short hops height from the ground.

when i watched hyperflame perform at TO11 i saw strongbad and mr lz successfully SDI dair very often. i also fail to connect the last hit of my dair very often against players who SDI opposite my movement during. i also feel much more comfortable SDIing out of lucas' dair compared to say snake's dair or zelda's usmash or fox's dair.

saying all multi hits are just as easy as the other to SDI is ignoring the fact that SDI relies on reaction/reflexive speed, and how likely you are to be prepared to SDI in that moment. when facing a lucas, you can constantly rely on SDI to escape his combos, because the slight re-positioning is very difficult to react to as a lucas when you're trying to aim for very small and particular hitboxes, and if you get slightly incorrect spacing, you have to salvage what you can (which is often just data on the direction the opponent likes to SDI in). when addressing counterplay, there is a component of pre-empting what the opponent is about to do. trying to prepare for the optimal counterplay to say what falcon might do requires a lot of consideration, as nair requires up/behind sdi+up/away di, uair requires up/away, knee requires up (down to tech it), dthrow requires certain di, uthrow requires another, etc. when considering what to be ready for against lucas, you can just CC most hits (mag/nair/uair/dair/jab/pkf) and shield, SDI up and out of combos (uair/nair/mag/jab), or SDI behind and escape the last hit of a move (dair/nair). there's a lot of overlap.

weakness to cc is very obvious. you have a slow grab and all these moves that can be cc'd. bair does do well vs cc, but it is very slow and not very safe, so it cant be used without some proper conditioning and positioning. cc is definitely something lucas has the ability to work around, and it isn't bad.
it's the ability to asdi nair so easily and then bring up your shield or shine or [1framething] afterwards that is difficult to work around. the move is extremely limited in its uses against apt opponents.
SDIing dair is also very easy. i explained how the stagger animation can further alter the position of the opponents hurtbox, and its not difficult to asdi or sdi dair in the direction opposite to lucas' movement, as holding behind lucas is the correct DI for most of his moves (bar fair).

please elaborate a little. when you say that he can work around these things i'd like you to explain. from my own experience (as and against lucas) and watching hyperflame i do not feel the same.

Last edited:

GabPR

Smash Lord
Yeah, it`s about the harshness of the trade. Changing his kit in a way that would prevent him from trading as much would be nice, but I just don't think it's going to happen this far down the development cycle. Of course, I'd love for his kit to be buffed, but I'm not hedging (get it? hedging?!? Hedgehog?!? Aren't I just great?!?) my bets on it. I think the smaller a fix is, the safer it is from a design point of view, and that's why buffing the spring or his weight is probably a better solution.
I do not believe his spring warrants a buff, I mean when you look at it, spring is mostly a last case scenario kind of deal, since Sonic can get back on stage in any number of ways like spinshot, side b, homing or blast attack to the ledge, dair to sweetspot ledge(when really high up) and down b to jump (Combining all of these for a very versitile recovery).

If by any chance the opponent manages to cover this one or two times, THEN Sonic might be forced to sweetspot with spring, and THEN it might become easier to edgeguard him.

As far as trades go, he just isnt made to be a trade type of character like peach or luigi. In fact, the reason why they are disadvantageous for Sonic are mostly because of trades alone. Give Sonic better trade options and what sort of advantage is left to defend against him? (this goes without mentioning that well spaced bairs and possibly fairs have good reach and can avoid trades).

Setton

Smash Rookie
I think what he's saying is that Sonic trades too much and should be able too avoid trades easier, rather than trade better. I don't know a whole lot about Sonic, but it does seem with his negative disjoint he's forced into trades when he shouldn't be.

Soft Serve

softie
Premium
Sonic is fast enough he shouldn't ever really have to trade unless he's really reaching

GabPR

Smash Lord
Sonic is fast enough he shouldn't ever really have to trade unless he's really reaching
Sonic's ability in avoiding trades is not only thanks to speed alone, but thanks to his great ammount of movement options that open up the opponent. For example, Sonic can run foward and then suddenly side b back. He can jump one direction, spinshot the other direction and then side/down b or blast attack the other direction that is 2 full safe reactionary changes in momentum. A Sonic player can react to his opponents movement and positioningin the stage and he can just reposition himself in more than one way to regain the advantage. Not many characters in this game can do that as well as Sonic can.

Last edited:

Boiko

:drshrug:
5 or 6 frames considering the 3 frames of hitlag each hit induces.
after hitting the opponent 3 times, its already been 20 frames. after 4, its been 25 frames. thats well within avg human reaction speed, and thats not even considering how smash players integrate progressive memory to reduce reaction times in situations like these.
holding any direction automatically gives you 2 inputs of SDI, and you've got 12 frames of hitlag to input more. its really not difficult to either SDI up and out of this move provided lucas isn't rising with you (rising nair new meta?)
I'm not saying that it's hard to SDI nair. But I don't think that it's as punishable after SDI as you're making it out to be.

approaching with nair is unsafe and asking to be cc'd, yes, but there's heaps of time to just ASDI and CC it any situation where your character isnt more than a short hops height from the ground.
Now, correct me if I'm mistaken, but Lucas' nair has a landing hitbox, which means it should always hit a CCing opponent on the latest possible frame. When l-canceled, it has 8 frames of lag, even at 0%, it should have roughly 16~ frames of hit stun, depending on the character. Which means you can have something like an 8 frame advantage (maybe minus one because of hit lag) on hit, which is more than enough time to start your magnet which has a launching hit with 80 BKB that should start breaking CC early.

when i watched hyperflame perform at TO11 i saw strongbad and mr lz successfully SDI dair very often. i also fail to connect the last hit of my dair very often against players who SDI opposite my movement during. i also feel much more comfortable SDIing out of lucas' dair compared to say snake's dair or zelda's usmash or fox's dair.
Zelda's up smash is an outlier because it has .25x SDI mults. You can't really compare the others, they're just different.

Counter play should exist. Having good SDI to get out Lucas' combos is regular counter play. Using ASDI down to get out of dair>up smash and instead force a tech chase is good counter play. I don't think that there is anything particularly unreasonable here.

Nausicaa

Smash Lord
1#
I'm really not a fan of Ivy. :ivysaur: (I like the character, but don't like her VERY MUCH AT ALL atm)
AKA, not a weak 'not a fan' but a NOT STRONG 'not a fan'
lol

She's not strong in anything (jack of nothing), some of her traits are yawn-worthy (edge-game), she's still fun to play (in the sense that she can do things because she's functional and does smash-stuff in terms of combos/reads/normal junk), but it's just not appealing to watch or play against or whatever.
Basically, nothing stands out.
She's not very good, and not very cool.

^My thoughts.
Anyone overly loving things like healing and solar beam that they make a difference, or what about Ivy is AWESOME in both cool and good that really makes her worth having in the game?

That weakness thing plays into a lot of stuff.

On the 'weak' end.
People saying "everyone and their mother except of Roy/a couple others is weak to CC" has been a plague. So it would change that to "everyone and their mother except Roy/etc is NOT amazing with CC" which ACTUALLY makes sense.
:bowser2:
Then things like fatty syndrome being something that's actually possibly a 'weakness' ACTUALLY makes sense in terms of why this has to be 'mitigated' through something like Armor/crazy Ooze birding stuff.
:jigglypuff:
On the other end.
People have talked about bringing the general strength of characters UP more than DOWN. The only way to do this without making the game utterly broken WOULD BE to have everyone nearly weakness-less. Puff dies to nothing, but it plays to her favor (not combo-able etc) in some sense. It's something else Puff would need to keep up with the higher-end characters, but does she need it and what?
:marth:
Is Marth's lack of ability to secure high % kills 'weakness' enough that he's not going to keep up long-tern with the likes of all the great characters in the game, or is he good enough that this 'distinct' lack of strength in the more long-drawn attrition games with the better characters of PM going to take its toll?

If things are done to bring people UP a level, it seems characters like Marth/Puff (let alone others) would be left behind, because they have 'non-strengths' that do kind of linger into ACTUAL weakness even at this point to some degree.
Balance is hard.
:sheik:
Sheik is good, throws, crawling, all this stuff makes her better. If something more were to be done to Sheik, something would for SURE need to be compensated on Marth.
Does Marthritis--- the 'VERY not-strength' (or weakness) get the attention? Or mitigated elsewhere? Cause he won't be winning anything big if everyone is Sheik or better now, let alone after Sheik is brought up IF SHE IS. Which Umb was saying would be cool, and it would, but the game isn't ready yet when there are some that need actual help just to be where her and others are now.

Pit kind of falls into the Ivy thing with not much for strengths.
But he's REALLY COOOOOOOL

Last edited:

Ripple

ᗣᗣᗣᗣ ᗧ·····•·····
He's still good.

I take snap shots in dolphin and then use Virtualdub to make the photos into video, then upload to gfycat

Avro-Arrow

Smash Journeyman
If Sonic's spring were buffed then he'd have bar none the best recovery in the game. By a large margin. Does it sound like a reasonable buff? Sure, when you put it like Star says. But I'm more inclined to agree with GabPR GabPR on this one. I'm only ever going to sweet spot ledge with spring when I've

1) DI'd horribly (rarely happens),

2) Lost my jump already from a read on an earlier recovery attempt/stole my jump, or

3) Can't avoid onstage edge guards by going high/coming up with an aerial.

This isn't really an exhaustive list, but it's alright for now I guess. Now it becomes a question of design philosophy I suppose. Do you want Sonic to be untouchable off stage? Because basically his up b is the only vulnerable part of his recovery right now. Now I'm not sure that's good as far as counterplay goes. Another argument against it is that he's still flimsy, so a buffed recovery still wouldn't come into play as much as it maybe should. Based on this point either a survivability buff or buff to his ability to not get forced to the side of the stage could be warranted, since either solution would make his recovery come into play less and less.

I'm also wondering if it's right to give him a buff that would make him have an easier time with characters (Fox, Peach, MK, Luigi) that can react to what he is doing and punish easily as long as they are on point. Sonic gets completely shut down by Peach, Fox can react to whatever Sonic does and and punish, Luigi somewhat invalidates Sonic's movement (ability to control the stage) with his wavedash, and MK corners Sonic easily by virtue of being able to stuff any offense on reaction (MUs aren't as hard as I'm making out). Of course, keep in mind that any change to his kit needs to fill a niche role and not polarize other MUs (had to throw that disclaimer in there).

If we want to buff his kit, ftilt already serves as a poke/gtfo me tool and it would be interesting to give him a normal that's actually useful in neutral. Perhaps, idk, small damage buff/disjoint/frame data would mean he can cover landing with something other than running or committing with laggy move. I like the sound of this, as scrubby as it may seem.

Maybe a small damage buff to fair/disjoint/base knockback could make it a safer commitment and a good spacing tool (which it already does well in some MUs like MK, Ivy, Lucas), although I think the ftilt would be more meaningful since being in the air in neutral as Sonic is already somewhat of a commitment.

If a weight buff is what's needed (assuming soemthing is needed), what sort of weight should he be at? Keep in mind he's at 82 right now. Maybe 85 or 86 would work? He'd still be a light weight but it would increase his survivability in a meaningful way.

What do you guys think?

shairn

Your favorite anime is bad.
3DS FC
4742-6323-2961
How is Sonic invulnerable off-stage? All his options to stuff off-stage edgeguards either put him in a worse position or can be reacted to. Also "The best recovery in the game" is a wild exaggeration.

Nausicaa

Smash Lord
^You were talking about how the things you wanted done to her would make her too good for the current game.
That was only like a month or 2 ago. Keep up with yourself. lol

Edit: Ripple was getting out of those Lucas D-Airs like a boss.
Ain't nobody guaranteed to get D-Air'd.

Last edited:

TheoryofSmaug

Smash Apprentice
sheik doesnt need to be better are you ****ing crazy?
Shiek is stupid. I can counter pick her against her great matchups. I don't even practice with her (I did play her a bit back when I played melee though) and I can simply crush peoples souls. Shiek is so good, and bodies so many characters so hard. Her only weakpoint is her only option vs CC is grab, but with smart play you can get around that easy.

For example, earlier this week, I was playing vs a Gannon and not really feeling my MK, so I just went Shiek, who I probably haven't touched in over 2 weeks, I 3-0ed his ass. The last game the poor guy stopped cussing out Shiek long enough to pick Pit. Then I platform and needle camped him on Delfinos for 6 minutes. (Yes, I'm an asshole)

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

sheik is really stupid at mid level play and below, probably top tier by herself. once you hit top level play she evens out considerably. shes probably high tier atm (which is perfect imo)

Ripple

ᗣᗣᗣᗣ ᗧ·····•·····
Edit: Ripple was getting out of those Lucas D-Airs like a boss.
Ain't nobody guaranteed to get D-Air'd.
DDD's "help I'm almost getting knocked over" animation makes it so I don't even have to SDI hits. pretty great.

second hit is guaranteed to miss

Last edited:

Soft Serve

softie
Premium
Speaking of silly animations, dk's grounded item throws are hilarious. I thought dk's item down throw was the start up of a taunt for a while. They should be sped up a bit like most so they don't look so goofy (and ballance of course)

Last edited:

Nausicaa

Smash Lord
Peach can pull 1000 turnips pretty quickly...

Extra Credits telling us Beam Swords should be worse or...
All turnips should be semi-stitched...
Can't tell which...

Top Bottom