• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Tier List Speculation

_Chrome

Smash Ace
You have some general ideas reflected in your tier list. Many of the characters in your top tier deserve to be there at the very least, but the general ordering within that tier is off. Furthermore, as we venture into the A- tier it's notable that there are a few fatal flaws. I won't go into detail, but some of these opinions were more reflected a few months ago (ie they're outdated): notably the placements of Kirby, Pit, Pikachu, Olimar, and Link. Most people do not consider Marth (due to overall larger stages) nor G&W to be top tier right now. Also, M2 and Sonic in Ivysaur/Ganon tier is unacceptable for many, unless you have a higher understanding of those characters than the mains that have provided their input on this page. These points are calling cards for people like nimigoha to say your list isn't good. :/

Your general ideas are okay but okay doesn't cut it for many of us here, hence nimigoha's post. Maybe go over a few other tier lists and expand your knowledge about the viability and placement of each character and post another tier list. I'm looking forward to seeing your opinion grow. Cheers. :)

Ripple

ᗣᗣᗣᗣ ᗧ·····•·····
Seriously why are item tosses so different still? I feel like item toss frame data should be really minimal in differences.

I need to recheck frame data but it's like aghhh.
not only does item toss animation really hurt a lot of the cast with how they play against diddy but something that compouds the issue is the fact the some characters item grab ranges are abysmal. see my pic for comparisons

http://imgur.com/a/EN57D

PMS | LEVEL 100 MAGIKARP

Hologram Summer Again
can someone give me a video of ganon boost pivot grab from ledge or whatever so I know what it actually looks like

also with regards to bucket braking etc:
isn't the same bit of code that ****s with momentum during bucketing also affecting momentum during b-reversing? so can't everyone essentially bucket brake by b-reversing once out of hitstun?

or am I wrong and is that not the way b-reversing works

Player -0

Smash Hero
The way using special moves out of momentum from a hit is that it increases the momentum of the direction they're travelling.

I think I've always meant to test that but never did. Either way I don't think that works.

I can't get a vid of Boost pivot grab from ledge until MAYBE the weekend. Even then only phone so idk lol.

Edit - About the momentum thing: This is why many characters explode from trying to use Side B instantly from hitstun when if they just fell -> then side B'ed they would've been fine.

Some moves have a momentum flag or something where Sakurai messed up so it stops all momentum. In Brawl this included like, DK Up B, Yoshi Side B, Bucket, etc. Much less prominent in Brawl due to hitstun but cancelling hitstun by hitting ground allows Bucket braking.

Speaking of which Zard's Up B was specifically changed to not cancel momentum anymore kek (going into 3.5). This broke Zard's down B tricks for a bit until 3.6 or so.

Last edited:

Life

Smash Hero
re: advancing your character metagame

2/3 of our top 3 Melee PR is Luigi, and we have a PR Melee Link as well

follow your dreams

*reaches arm up, gets carried off into the sunset by a massive eagle*

---------

More to the point, as someone who enjoys labbing stuff, I'll gladly take suggestions. What character matchups would you like to know more about? Particularly lopsided low tier matchups e.g. Ivy-Marth. (Suddenly I feel the need to research combos into Solar Beam.)

EDIT: At 70% on Marth, dthrow to SH instant Solar Beam catches both no DI and down-away DI. I think you can't SH on just away DI, though. On inward DI, which seemed to produce the highest angle, I was able to run fullhop reverse (DO NOT B REVERSE--think retreating Falco laser) Solar Beam and that true combo'd. In other words, provided you react to DI correctly, Solar Beam is guaranteed on Marth after dthrow at 70%. You're welcome. It's just a bit technically difficult. Also, seems to be similarly guaranteed at 90%. Also welcome.

(made irrelevant by subsequent edits)I believe there's a way to catch him with sweetspot upB on inward DI angles, but it doesn't kill at that percent bar very good stage positioning. You could actually combo into Seed Bomb in that situation; although it doesn't do as much damage, you maintain stage control just fine.

Also at 90%, tipper fair on Marth seems likely to also set up into Solar Beam. Just standing Solar Beam on no DI seems to work fine. DI in requires a full hop. DI away escapes; best thing I can find to do at this percent, assuming there's no platform in the way, is to run up and try to dtilt Marth's landing. It probably won't actually hit him, especially if he drifts away or double jumps, but you still have stage control in that situation.

Last edited:

TheGravyTrain

Smash Ace
NNID
Theboyingreen
Speaking of which Zard's Up B was specifically changed to not cancel momentum anymore kek (going into 3.5). This broke Zard's down B tricks for a bit until 3.6 or so.
I assume the "Up B" was intended to be "down b". For those who are curious, most Zard's agreed that glide braking wasn't desirable. The problem they had was it made certain ledge tricks, glair to finish combos, and a few other things not work because of the implementation of removing it. They added like a 6 frame, non aim-able startup that transitioned Zard from his current momentum to moving forward, but the "startup" affected the aforementioned things.

Player -0

Smash Hero
Speaking of which can patch notes be made more clear/interpretable at times?

Like Roy's Up B ledge grab was lowered a bunch in 3.6, "Zard's fly made to feel nicer," etc.

Like if grab release points are changed a bunch then can it be explicitly noted?

Yeah it's difficult with the patch notes but if each person that's "in charge" of a character does it as at least a post it would be cool.

Idk.

Tier List Speculation.

Player -0

Smash Hero
I feel like we should make an info dump thread to dump all this info/useful stuff into.

Like the item grab range, tech rolls/getup rolls, rolls, knockback calculator, other stuff I can't remember because it's not in a thread.

I vote some random person to do it.

All for random person say aye.

Chevy

Smash Ace
Doesn't Bowser specifically keep all of his horizontal momentum with Bowser bomb? I know that he does from his own forces, so I doubt that it would be different out of hitstun.

Don't know if I've posted this before in here, but I found that any character can buffer directly into crouch/crawl from normal landing lag. This includes auto-cancels so Samus can crawl immediately out of Aerial Interrupt from ledge or even on to platforms as a goofy movement/evasion technique. I've been doing ledge AI->boost ball for a long time, but hadn't really researched why it was so good. This also lets her go immediately into crawl from missile cancelling, which is notably good on shield to avoid high punishes.

shairn

Your favorite anime is bad.
3DS FC
4742-6323-2961
Doesn't Bowser specifically keep all of his horizontal momentum with Bowser bomb? I know that he does from his own forces, so I doubt that it would be different out of hitstun.

Don't know if I've posted this before in here, but I found that any character can buffer directly into crouch/crawl from normal landing lag. This includes auto-cancels so Samus can crawl immediately out of Aerial Interrupt from ledge or even on to platforms as a goofy movement/evasion technique. I've been doing ledge AI->boost ball for a long time, but hadn't really researched why it was so good. This also lets her go immediately into crawl from missile cancelling, which is notably good on shield to avoid high punishes.
Yeah, he does. Ledge jump BBomb can get you to center stage on small to mid-size stages.
But of course BBomb landing is super bad so it's not actually useful. Maybe there are jank ledge cancel opportunities on some stage, but I haven't found anything to do with it.

Player -0

Smash Hero

So jump into people's shield with most awkward "short hop" then missile -> crawl.

When I say people I mean Ganon.

PMS | LEVEL 100 MAGIKARP

Hologram Summer Again
I'm convinced that luigi's crawl is a really useful thing but I don't know if I'm right yet because I'm too trash to actually prove it

I have a whisper in my ghost that using crawl to mask horizontal movement after/during a waveland by virtue of faking/not faking a wavescuttle (plus the obvious benefit of lowproing annoying stuff like samus missiles) is good

I guess it'd be possible to pressure someone's shield with a somewhat late bair (late enough that I can waveland) then waveland away while facing away then wavescuttle back and catch them with an intangible upsmash (this relies on them not grabbing me out of shield, but I can condition that relatively well enough by doing double aerials)

idk the game is fun the character is fun the possibilities are fun but I'm just really bad and too busy being a student

JOE!

Smash Hero
I feel like we should make an info dump thread to dump all this info/useful stuff into.

Like the item grab range, tech rolls/getup rolls, rolls, knockback calculator, other stuff I can't remember because it's not in a thread.

I vote some random person to do it.

All for random person say aye.
My stage sim thread is stickied and I can morph it into a "General PM Info" thread

Ripple Ripple : could you hook me up with links to these threads/projects of yours?

Last edited:

Jamble

Smash Apprentice
I was wondering if anybody else had any luck with trying this with Samus, but I noticed that morph ball bomb actually blocks Ganon's Down-B move. I've also been having a little fun with it as a planned short hop, hitting an opponent and bomb jumping off them for an attempted aerial.

Kinda brings me to my question, how off-center can you get away with being on a morph ball jump? I haven't had much luck getting too off-center with it and getting a bomb jump, but I was wondering if anybody knew if it's even possible to use it to both block something like Ganon's down-B and get a bomb jump off it at the same time.

Kulty

Smash Ace
Guys,

I`m trying to find the weight value and the dash speed value of each character in PM, but I can`t find it anywhere. It helps me to compare the characters that I love compared to the rest of the cast. Does anyone know a website where I can find these data?

JOE!

Smash Hero
Guys,

I`m trying to find the weight value and the dash speed value of each character in PM, but I can`t find it anywhere. It helps me to compare the characters that I love compared to the rest of the cast. Does anyone know a website where I can find these data?
This is stickied on top of the main forum for PM as "PM 3.5 Stats List (Still WIP)": http://smashboards.com/threads/pm-3-5-stats-list-still-wip-wavedash-ranks-added.335019/

Also, this: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1oqWSi7P2bkzeCen55YJwwaz118NxwEdBZXKq8kAvpZM/edit#gid=0

Last edited:

Chevy

Smash Ace
So jump into people's shield with most awkward "short hop" then missile -> crawl.

When I say people I mean Ganon.
It's one of many things that makes Ganon's life terrible, until he hits Samus into the air anyway.

I was wondering if anybody else had any luck with trying this with Samus, but I noticed that morph ball bomb actually blocks Ganon's Down-B move. I've also been having a little fun with it as a planned short hop, hitting an opponent and bomb jumping off them for an attempted aerial.

Kinda brings me to my question, how off-center can you get away with being on a morph ball jump? I haven't had much luck getting too off-center with it and getting a bomb jump, but I was wondering if anybody knew if it's even possible to use it to both block something like Ganon's down-B and get a bomb jump off it at the same time.
Should be perfectly possible, just spacing logic. Coming down with a bomb on shield is actually a very good mix-up, before and after the bomb hits both players have a multitude of options and it's a pretty deep guessing game. Nice way not to get shield grabbed anyway.

Jamble

Smash Apprentice
Yeah after practicing with it a bit I'm finding the one hiccup with that is that placing the bomb so that it would block an attack like that hits me up in a diagonal trajectory, which might make connecting with a follow-up a little iffy. Still, it's a pretty cool move and I'm going to have to spend some time in the lab playing with it.

tasteless gentleman

Smash Journeyman
I'm convinced that luigi's crawl is a really useful thing but I don't know if I'm right yet because I'm too trash to actually prove it

I have a whisper in my ghost that using crawl to mask horizontal movement after/during a waveland by virtue of faking/not faking a wavescuttle (plus the obvious benefit of lowproing annoying stuff like samus missiles) is good

I guess it'd be possible to pressure someone's shield with a somewhat late bair (late enough that I can waveland) then waveland away while facing away then wavescuttle back and catch them with an intangible upsmash (this relies on them not grabbing me out of shield, but I can condition that relatively well enough by doing double aerials)

idk the game is fun the character is fun the possibilities are fun but I'm just really bad and too busy being a student
XYK does this all the time out of a wave land and then crawls and it is amazing (and janky) movement.

ThegreatVaporeon1

Smash Ace

It's really good for his wavescuttle, yes.
Wavescuttle avoids wavedash lag, but he can't keep his horizontal momentum when he turns around with it like he can with a wavedash, so it has its drawbacks.

That's a good thing, though. Being a student and doing well in school >>>> this game

Last edited:

JOE!

Smash Hero

Jamble

Smash Apprentice
I've been playing around with Bowser and is it me or.. does he actually do pretty well against spacies? Bowser is actually a lot more solid than I expected, I sold him way short. Even though he's a big heavy, he can get around the stage very well and just one opening is all it takes for Bowser to cause straight-up death.

Life

Smash Hero
Bowser does alright against Falco, one of the biggest reasons being that Falco's good SH laser ranges put him into Bowser's dash attack range. Not sure how a Falco experienced in the matchup would handle it.

Fox is pretty decent until they realize they can run away and there's not a lot Bowser can do about it, although it's probably not as horribad as some of his other matchups.

Can't speak for Wolf.

Jamble

Smash Apprentice
I feel like Falco is easier because Bowser can straight up crawl through his lasers ignoring the hitstun and it seems like that CC really shuts down Falco's shine. I'm pretty sure Falco's shine tries to send them straight up, which CC seems to stop completely, but that's not really the case with Fox's shine I don't think.

I'm just pleasantly surprised that he does even alright against them. I'm developing a bit of a soft spot for the spiky turtle here.

prem

Smash Apprentice
Fox's shine actualyl does nothing to bowser which sucks. Like you can't waveshine him because he will just crouch through it. Provided you just win by spamming upthrow but thats different.

The way falco deals with the matchup is shoot lasers only in combos and keep shining because crouch definitely does not beat falco's shine and just double shine if they try and then 0 to death them.

Wolf has it so free just shine grab 0 to death as he is literally the easiest character in the game to flash

Jamble

Smash Apprentice
It could be the whole "CPUs are morons" issue on the shine thing. I know for sure I have cc'd it on a fresh stock, though I am seeing it works once I've taken some damage. I just don't know where the cut off is there. I'll have to play against my training buddy's Falco with Bowser to see what I think against a non CPU lol. Not much to go off of with a cpu. I'll be the first to admit I'm probably kind of floundering here. Kinda wish I had humans to test him out with at the moment rather than a glorified training dummy.

Frost | Odds

Puddings: 1 /// Odds: 0
The spacies all beat 3.6 Bowser pretty hard, though Falco is almost certainly the easiest of them for Bowser.

Fox simply never has to interact with him on most stages, and Wolf's punishes on Bowser are among the most lopsided in the game.

TheGravyTrain

Smash Ace
NNID
Theboyingreen
Fox's shine actualyl does nothing to bowser which sucks. Like you can't waveshine him because he will just crouch through it. Provided you just win by spamming upthrow but thats different.

The way falco deals with the matchup is shoot lasers only in combos and keep shining because crouch definitely does not beat falco's shine and just double shine if they try and then 0 to death them.

Wolf has it so free just shine grab 0 to death as he is literally the easiest character in the game to flash
To be fair, Fox can Waveshine Bowser as long as bowser doesn't crouch for more than 7 frames. On frame 8 of Bowser's crouch is when the crawl armor is added on to normal cc (though it is sub light armor to compensate and doesn't happen instantly like cc does). Both shine itself and dair beats normal crouch cancel reduction stuff (duh, 0 degree angles and meteors always do this), but the crouch armor does beat both. So unless bowser is full crouching for a bit, you can still get things started with shine.

How does spamming up throw help exactly? I'm sure high percents it probably becomes useful, but Up throw is weight dependent. Bowser being the heaviest character in the game actually helps a lot here. At 0, Fox gets a measly 1 frame of advantage on throw. At 25, he gets 4. So even at 25 percent, Fox still cannot safely up throw up air as he comes 2 frames short of beating a nair out from Bowser (and Fox has 2 frame perfect inputs on his end, while Bowser only has 1, and this is on no di. With DI, Fox has to spend frames running, making the window it starts even later).

It could be the whole "CPUs are morons" issue on the shine thing. I know for sure I have cc'd it on a fresh stock, though I am seeing it works once I've taken some damage. I just don't know where the cut off is there. I'll have to play against my training buddy's Falco with Bowser to see what I think against a non CPU lol. Not much to go off of with a cpu. I'll be the first to admit I'm probably kind of floundering here. Kinda wish I had humans to test him out with at the moment rather than a glorified training dummy.
To both Prem and you, Debug is a thing for a reason. You don't even need to have friends! Just a spare controller and a little bit of juggling and bam! You can test anything out, frame by frame, to make sure what you are getting on cpu's is actually legit. I long for some 20XX Hack Pack features to come as well (the frame counter looks glorious), but even just good 'ol debug is good enough for me.

prem

Smash Apprentice
To be fair, Fox can Waveshine Bowser as long as bowser doesn't crouch for more than 7 frames. On frame 8 of Bowser's crouch is when the crawl armor is added on to normal cc (though it is sub light armor to compensate and doesn't happen instantly like cc does). Both shine itself and dair beats normal crouch cancel reduction stuff (duh, 0 degree angles and meteors always do this), but the crouch armor does beat both. So unless bowser is full crouching for a bit, you can still get things started with shine.

How does spamming up throw help exactly? I'm sure high percents it probably becomes useful, but Up throw is weight dependent. Bowser being the heaviest character in the game actually helps a lot here. At 0, Fox gets a measly 1 frame of advantage on throw. At 25, he gets 4. So even at 25 percent, Fox still cannot safely up throw up air as he comes 2 frames short of beating a nair out from Bowser (and Fox has 2 frame perfect inputs on his end, while Bowser only has 1, and this is on no di. With DI, Fox has to spend frames running, making the window it starts even later).
I exagerrated upthrow a lot but basically what I meant is most of what I do in that matchup when im approaching is drill grab into upthrow because the usual bowser loses to the z button idea. I know upthrow doesn't always guarantee a followup through enough experience but there are definitely some percents where you can uptilt and just combo him from there. I understand the camping aspect but I only play that matchup in friendlies so I would never laser camp.

But yeah sorry I treated that more like a skype chat instead of a forum post

Last edited:

Player -0

Smash Hero
Frame data aside...

Nair's armor starts on what frame again? I remember it was pushed back.

This pushback, combined with Nair's startlag, makes it difficult for Bowser to escape with Nair unless he reads an Up Air after the Up Throw.

This means Fox can typically get a followup (if no top platform or whatever) because he can cover most of Bowser's options while baiting options.

This is speculation though.

Bazkip

Smash Master
Bowser nair armour starts frame 5, the same frame the hitbox starts.

Frame data threads exist for a reason, yo.

Last edited:

TheGravyTrain

Smash Ace
NNID
Theboyingreen
I exagerrated upthrow a lot but basically what I meant is most of what I do in that matchup when im approaching is drill grab into upthrow because the usual bowser loses to the z button idea. I know upthrow doesn't always guarantee a followup through enough experience but there are definitely some percents where you can uptilt and just combo him from there. I understand the camping aspect but I only play that matchup in friendlies so I would never laser camp.

But yeah sorry I treated that more like a skype chat instead of a forum post
Um, from that little testing I did I am not seeing that happen (the up tilt thing). Bowser was way too high for up tilt to ever connect, even at 0 (even though you only have 1 frame...). DI should completely ruin it even if it does work.

Frame data aside...

Nair's armor starts on what frame again? I remember it was pushed back.

This pushback, combined with Nair's startlag, makes it difficult for Bowser to escape with Nair unless he reads an Up Air after the Up Throw.

This means Fox can typically get a followup (if no top platform or whatever) because he can cover most of Bowser's options while baiting options.

This is speculation though.
I kind of touched on it, but like Bazkip said, frame 5 for armor and hitbox. At 25 percent, assuming all frame perfect inputs even, Fox is 2 frames short of hitting before the armor + hitbox of nair come out. And the armor should definitely work through second hit uair if it comes to that, works till 57 percent (prehit). And again, from the looks of it when I tested it, bowser should be able to fast fall and catch a Fox trying to stay grounded and up tilt. Mix in DI and this doesn't seem overly oppresive for Bowser at all. Especially when you consider that other characters are getting guarenteed crazy damage and fox is forced to play a guessing game.

Frost | Odds

Puddings: 1 /// Odds: 0
Um, from that little testing I did I am not seeing that happen (the up tilt thing). Bowser was way too high for up tilt to ever connect, even at 0 (even though you only have 1 frame...). DI should completely ruin it even if it does work.

I kind of touched on it, but like Bazkip said, frame 5 for armor and hitbox. At 25 percent, assuming all frame perfect inputs even, Fox is 2 frames short of hitting before the armor + hitbox of nair come out. And the armor should definitely work through second hit uair if it comes to that, works till 57 percent (prehit). And again, from the looks of it when I tested it, bowser should be able to fast fall and catch a Fox trying to stay grounded and up tilt. Mix in DI and this doesn't seem overly oppresive for Bowser at all. Especially when you consider that other characters are getting guarenteed crazy damage and fox is forced to play a guessing game.
What goes up must come down. Sure, fox technically has no guaranteed followups after uthrowing Bowser, but it's more than a bit tricky to land safely, and a Bowser without a doublejump is pretty much straight up dead in that matchup.

Also, pretty much all of Fox's other moves combo Bowser spectacularly well.

Last edited:

TheGravyTrain

Smash Ace
NNID
Theboyingreen
Frost | Odds Frost | Odds

Fair enough. You are the expert. It just didn't look that extreme to me. With DI to the side, he didn't seem in any danger of up air, though platforms and such complicate things with techs and all that jazz. I'm sure at later percents than I looked (25) it becomes more threatening, but 4 frames of advantage and how far Bowser goes does seem to give credence to up throw destroying Bowser.

tasteless gentleman

Smash Journeyman
What goes up must come down. Sure, fox technically has no guaranteed followups after uthrowing Bowser, but it's more than a bit tricky to land safely, and a Bowser without a doublejump is pretty much straight up dead in that matchup.

Also, pretty much all of Fox's other moves combo Bowser spectacularly well.
Fox can force bowser to approach and lose. Thats the match up for any fox that knows what they are doing. Evade bowser and spam lasers and win the bait.

Fun fact, Bowser's down hit box on upsmash combos 80% of the cast into foward smash. LOL

Top Bottom