• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Tier List Speculation

TheGravyTrain

Smash Ace
NNID
Theboyingreen
BrawlboxScreencap4.png RSBEN1-2.png
Yep, -1 (10 frames of landing lag, deal 17% so it does 9 frames of shield stun). To be fair I did mention its safety on shield a bit later. On a side note, Yoshi can do fair to aerial down b on fox at 80... Oh, and I just started looking into the state of his cg's and was able to chaingrab Roy from 0-40 over significant distance of training room. On di up and in Roy gets obliterated by uair strings and fair tech chases. I like this character a lot.

*edit* So I did a little testing. Yoshi does indeed have janky hurtbox distortion on his tail moves. Some people said it could have been brawlbox failing to display his hurtbox properly, but I finally got around to getting a picture of it. The first is frame 14 of bair in brawlbox, the second is a Yoshi with a starman so you can see the Marth dtilt going through hitlag on what seems to be air. If Yoshi isn't intangible, he goes into a different animation so you can't see the disparity between the hit and the visual of the tail. Prolly could get a better picture, but thats the picture I took.

Last edited:

Soft Serve

softie
Premium
Curious as to why diddy is jumping up from lower high/upper mid to top tier in everyone's list

Not disagreeing because diddy is amazing and completely could be, but from 3.5 to 3.6, the only changes to his mu spread were mus he already won getting easier (ganon, bowser, zss, potentially rob/roy although I'm still iffy on what the mu was/is), and fox is a good deal more manageable (but still one of his 3 worst mus ). Pit/mk mus are harder now too but i maintain diddy still wins them. His mu spread hardly changed, and he's always been a character who's position in the tiers is more related to the prevalence of who he loses too (honestly just fox/wolf/peach/samus/wario/m2/sonic/some other floaties)

Idk, seems like another "this character won another national, has to be top tier" thing.
This again, really really curious and no one has justified a high placing diddy on their lists yet (not arguing against it, just want to know whats changed everyone's mind other than june winning LTC)

Last edited:

Shokio

Netplay 4 Days
NNID
Shokio
It's probably not the changes made to Diddy, but the changes made to characters around him. Falcon no longer having the Up-Throw --> auto-combo and Sheiks silly throw game probably made room for Diddy in many people's eyes. He didn't necessarily move up cause he got better, others chars have just moved down.

steelguttey

mei is bei
also junebug showing us how stupidly good nanners are for stage control and how much diddy's space he can threaten grows when he has one in his hand

InfinityCollision

Smash Lord
how to save the image
crop tool in the editor of your choice

And yeah, I'm not seeing the sudden S-tier placement for Diddy. I don't think any of the things he struggles with have been nerfed and there's not been enough shuffling near the top to put him up there just yet. He's pretty good, but maybe not that good.

So... Link. Various ideas have come up and that's good, but one I kinda tossed out off-hand a while back was giving him a glide toss.

Can we make this a thing?

One thing that's always been true about Link is that he's really bad at dealing with pressure when he's cornered and especially if he's forced into shield. If he can't catch you with upb or maybe nair OoS he has to hope he can wavedash/roll away without putting himself in an even worse situation. Giving him a glide toss gives him a potential out to that situation if he's got a bomb in hand. Rewards him for doing the things he already wants to do by giving him a new option in a situation where he tends to struggle.

TheGravyTrain

Smash Ace
NNID
Theboyingreen
I think its less people putting fox in his own tier and they are looking for that small group of characters (like 5-6) and Diddy is in that convo because of June's results. I dont think its too much of a stretch. With how much Fox is immortalized, its hard to really find a character who matches up in a top 5 sense. Dont get me wrong, I think fox is the best, but not by as massive of a margin as a in-my-own tier kind of way. So characters like Diddy, Lucario, ROB, and Ike are all considered potential top tier contenders with Fox, Falco, Wolf, and whoever else you considered already there. I dont think its right to put Meta Knight in that group yet simply because he doesn't have the high profile player putting in work. Whereas Lucario has IPK, Diddy has June, Ike had Ally for awhile (seems less dominant now), and ROB has/had DrinkingFood/Oracle. Fox is Fox, Wolf had Chillin, has a few up and comers, and everyone just sees he is oozing potential. Meta Knight is just starting into the "oozing potential, watch out" club this update.

Rant aside, would it be a safe bet to call Junebug the best PM player currently. LTC3 and Aftershock wins seem to say so. If the supposed best player wins using a theoretically good character, I think its a safe bet to put that character in the top 5.

eideeiit

Smash Ace
I heard Plup has made MK his PM main so start shaking mortals, a god is about to walk among you.

June got 2nd at Aftershock btw.

And 3rd at Smashcon, losing to Llod and Bladewise, tho that was the MU.

The spot of the best PMer is still up in the air. June is no doubt the one with the best shot at it atm, but the lack of nationals still keeps me from giving it to anyone.

Searing_Sorrow

Smash Journeyman
I heard Plup has made MK his PM main so start shaking mortals, a god is about to walk among you.

June got 2nd at Aftershock btw.

And 3rd at Smashcon, losing to Llod and Bladewise, tho that was the MU.

The spot of the best PMer is still up in the air. June is no doubt the one with the best shot at it atm, but the lack of nationals still keeps me from giving it to anyone.
Is it really so hard to give Bladewise and Llod credit. To say it was the match up is insulting to the players involved. For the record, diddy goes pretty even vs peach and the matchup is mostly stage dependent.

InfinityCollision

Smash Lord
Important thing to remember: our top players are anyone else's B-team at best, and even within that group there are very real differences in skill and experience. The matchup effect is also pretty relevant. I'd say there's ~15 characters with a real shot at winning a PM major, maybe slightly more, but that's looking down the line when everyone, top players included, stop messing up very basic things. Right now it's almost anyone's game to win or lose, and as such I'd rather avoid bandwagoning every time someone makes a strong showing or when we get a relative unknown (read: doesn't travel/play on a mainstream channel) tearing through a bracket the first time they show up on the radar.

Junebug is a good player playing a good character. We really can't say anything more than that right now.

Last edited:

DrinkingFood

Smash Hero
The only thing june's play really affected for my opinion is for closing out stocks. I still feel as if he has a hard time closing stocks raw, but his gimp potential strictly with peanuts and bananas is good, and his ability to get people offstage with throws is good. I already felt diddy probably had a fox tier neutral game, as his dash is fast, his vertical mobility fast, given too much space he gets banana in hand which is just ridiculous in terms of risk-reward ratio for use (almost no risk for throwing, it's a projectile obv, yet gives knockdown at any percent and plants a no-go-zone for the opponent if it doesn't hit), also has a good harassment projectile, good aerial mobility+good momentum carry into jumps, and command grab/flying sex kick mix-up built into a single special. But I felt all this wasn't too oppressive since he basically has to win neutral more times than most characters to secure kills. Now I feel I've seen how many options he can really cover against recovering opponents which fills the only real gap I thought he had in his gameplay. I don't think it's unreasonable to call him a top tier, though I will refrain from having an opinion on it for the time being.

Journal

Smash Apprentice
Something about Diddy is that yeah, his neutral is obscene, but he has real difficulties killing. With good DI at the edge of a stage it's not uncommon to be hit by a fair above 130 and live. Most kills seem to be based on down or side smashes or gimps, which aren't quite as easy to set up into (totally fine, btw, just something to bear in mind) and he has no good off the top kill options.

Mumbo

Smash Journeyman
The day that people who don't understand yoshi stop talking assertively like they do is the day Yoshi finally gets properly balanced. He's in a really rough spot right now.

As for the dtilt hitbox/hurtbox disparity, instead of looking at brawlbox or orher external programs, just go into pm 3.6. The dev team implemented a fantastic debug mode, and while you might not be able to view hurtboxes directly, you can get around that. Yoshis tail hurtbox comes out on frame 7 of dtilt, and the hitbox + animation shows on frame 8. To test this, go into debug mode with yoshi and falco, position falco at the end of where yoshis dtilt would be, skip to frame 6 and shine on frame 7.

Dtilt as it is now, along with most of Yoshi's other moves, is fantastic when it lands but you really can't rely on using it in neutral because the hitbox/hurtbox is so bad. It's a borderline OP edgegaurd when it hits, but again it's just unreliable. I get really salty when I try to swat a Fox firefoxing close to the ledge with a perfectly spaced dtilt and lose because my hurtbox just happened to come out the same frame as his passive charging hitbox.

TheoryofSmaug

Smash Apprentice
Am I the only one that thinks the PM community thinks it knows way more than it does. So many people seem to instantly know how good some underdeveloped brawl characters neutral is. If you look at melee just back a few years, it looks way less optimized than play does now. Yet back then people thought they were just as close to melee perfection as we think the gods are now.

Take Ness for example, he is a very complex character with a lot of strong options. Quick, burst movement with djc, and fast moves. I don't see anyway in **** that Ness's neutral is even close to being optimized.

Saying Ness's neutral sucks when you haven't explored all his options is like a scrub casual saying fox sucks because he doesn't know how to l cancel or shine.

JOE!

Smash Hero
On the flip side, we have all that advancement from melee that carries over to PM's meta in many ways that allow us to more quickly analyze character traits and abilities.

eideeiit

Smash Ace
Am I the only one that thinks the PM community thinks it knows way more than it does. So many people seem to instantly know how good some underdeveloped brawl characters neutral is. If you look at melee just back a few years, it looks way less optimized than play does now. Yet back then people thought they were just as close to melee perfection as we think the gods are now.

Take Ness for example, he is a very complex character with a lot of strong options. Quick, burst movement with djc, and fast moves. I don't see anyway in **** that Ness's neutral is even close to being optimized.

Saying Ness's neutral sucks when you haven't explored all his options is like a scrub casual saying fox sucks because he doesn't know how to l cancel or shine.
I mostly agree, but your last point is a bit dumb because even if you haven't explored all the options of a character, you can still tell what the options you have analyze do and how good they are. Even further perfection of old options rarely opens them up in game breaking ways that fix basic flaws of the character.

Boiko

:drshrug:

Developing the meta game now is entirely different than developing the meta game even a few years ago. There are new resources, videos, guides, mods, etc. that help you understand and realize the potential of specific options much quicker than previously possible.

Ness' neutral may not be optimized, per se, but its shortcoming are obvious.

tasteless gentleman

Smash Journeyman
Developing the meta game now is entirely different than developing the meta game even a few years ago. There are new resources, videos, guides, mods, etc. that help you understand and realize the potential of specific options much quicker than previously possible.

Ness' neutral may not be optimized, per se, but its shortcoming are obvious.
exactly this point, You can be the god of a character BUT if there is a glaring weakness, then you can lose to above average players if they play the correct way with the correct character. I love pm for the balance that it truely is, BUT 30-70 match ups will almost always keep a solo character from winning a major (aside from the S tiers)...and maybe mario

Life

Smash Hero
@ TheoryofSmaug TheoryofSmaug if you ever have to ask "am I the only one?" the answer is no.

The PM metagame is behind the Melee one, and while having a bunch of new characters and stages is a factor, another big reason is that many top players have a certain disdain for the game (in my own region our entire, like, top 20 can't stand it, minus one or two who are ambivalent). Our foundation, while varying from area to area, isn't the top level of Melee. Even with the characters who are near-direct ports, their best Melee players rarely play PM often (the closest exceptions I can think of are Lucky and Axe--and the latter only sometimes plays his Melee characters). Patches are also an issue, though that'll eventually go away.

On the flip side, Melee's metagame advanced very slowly for its first few years. Youtube launched in 2005. If you wanted to learn something new, you or someone in your area had to figure it out on their own. PM doesn't have that limitation, so we're at least going through the early stuff faster than Melee did, and in a few specific cases such as shield dropping we pretty much skipped ahead in the proverbial textbook.

skellitorman

Smash Journeyman
I know this post is rather late, but I feel that this is worth posting nonetheless.

I have read many posts that refer to Bowser’s armor as unintuitive to deal with, yet the articulation for explaining why people felt that way is lacking. By addressing a few key points that two people have made, I hope to remedy this lack of articulation, and in turn explain why the implementation of armor (for certain moves) is problematic (or at the very least explain why it is bad design).

I will try my best to keep this post as short, simple and informative as possible. First, the following needs to be understood:

Movement in a fighting game is a necessary component for allowing the use of certain fundamental skills in neutral. The range of a character’s attacks combined with their movement abilities allows that character to threaten a given space at a given time (without throwing out a hitbox). An opponent’s goal during this time (the neutral) is to discern how the opponent is threatening them and to intercept that threat, whether that is to go in and mount an offense, or to counterattack their opponent’s offense, etc.

This aspect of PM (fighting games in general) prevents an opponent from just rushing in and mounting an offense (mainly seen at higher levels). However, currently there are tools that exist in PM that I refer to as “tools that ignore the neutral game.” Such tools are a problem by having significantly limiting counterplay (as in the option’s counterplay restricts the opponent’s options too heavily) and sometimes is further problematic by also being too strong (as in the properties of the option has a significantly skewed risk/reward).

What's the difference between Bowser using dash attack to beat your approach and Marth shield grabbing your approach? The only difference is that Bowser takes damage and somehow that makes it better and more polarizing than Marth not taking damage.
No. The difference is that the armor ignores certain aspects of “fundamentals” (explained in the previous section) that is prevalent in the neutral game whereas Marth shield grabbing does not. In terms of optimal play, when a player attacks an opponent, they will attempt to do so with proper spacing so that they cannot be punished. In the Marth situation, a player can space an attack (Roy’s down tilt for example) to hit Marth, and if Marth shields, then the player (playing Roy for example) cannot be punished by Marth’s shield grabbing and the player (playing Roy) may even be able to press offensively due to the shield’s restrictions.

In the Bowser situation (Bowser’s dash attack as the example), spacing an attack is futile, because no matter how the nonprojectile attack (Roy’s down tilt for example) was spaced (given that it was a direct attack used to stop the opponent from advancing that was also not a whiff punish), the armor is going to go through the attack and hit the opponent (generally speaking). The dash attack also has a large amount of leeway (meaning that timing is even less important) due to having armor throughout the entire startup and even during the first few active frames.

The problem here is that normally, proper fundamentals are what prevent the opponent from being able to just rush in and press buttons. Thus, an opponent has to respect the other player’s ability to utilize movement (mainly dashdancing and wavedashing in Melee and PM) to properly mount an effective offense. However due to the nature of the armor attacks’ implementation, large amounts of offensive option (utilizing proper fundamentals) becomes too risky, which is very restrictive since that is one of the main aspects of the neutral game. This makes the optimal counterplay against such a character to be either just grabbing and/or camping, which is not only severely limiting and not fun, but is also unintuitive (since intuitively, properly spaced attacks win during the neutral game).

Furthermore, normally (as in other traditional fighting games) such armor attacks (that have no cost or execution requirement) have large amounts of startup and are significantly punishable on block. They are designed like this, so that it can only be consistently effective as a “read” to punish well read attacks and not function as a normal attack that also beats large amounts of offensive options. Since Bowser’s dash attack is unreactable (active frame 10), it functions like a normal dash attack in neutral with the bonus of also punishing nonprojectile attacks at any point (regardless of timing given that contact was to be made), whether used as a read or on reaction. Such an attack covers too many options for a single button that requires basic execution and has no cost.

Because of the lack of articulation, certain armor attacks have just been seen as “unintuitive.” Now it should be relatively clear as to why it is, and why such implementation is problematic (design wise).

In short: In Smash (and other fighting games in general) certain fundamental skills are what differentiates high level play from low level play. To allow a character to ignore these aspects of the game, (through the implementation of certain armor properties on certain options) regardless of how bad the character is, is bad game design.

Armor is not inherently problematic - and the counterplay is identical to that of any other move with which you don't want to trade - simply bait it out and enjoy your free punish during the endlag.
Although it is true that armor is not inherently problematic, the counterplay is not identical to that of any other move with which you don’t want to trade with (if by trading you mean an attack clashing with another attack and getting beaten or both attacks hitting each other at the same time). Moves that you don’t want to trade with can be beaten by not only whiff punishing, but by countering them before they come out (which can’t be done against certain armor attacks). Furthermore moves that you don’t want to trade with are usually significantly slow (both in startup and endlag) and/or significantly lack range/mobility especially when they are already lacking in execution and cost.

Since this particular point was made specifically about nair where the armor is only active during the active frames of the attack, only some of my previous point applies here.

While it's been overused in previous designs, I think most of the current complaints can be fixed by people simply gitting gud.
I disagree with this. Bowser currently is not a good character (which most people seem to more or less be in agreement with), and people lack the MU experience, so it’s true that players being better at the MU will allow them to beat Bowser more reliably in his current build. However, the arguments (and/or complaints) being made about Bowser’s armor implementation is about the design itself as opposed to Bowser’s balance.

Bowser, given his pseudo-grappler archetype and turtley visual design, should be strong against rushdown, and armor is a great means of achieving that.
Although one could imagine Bowser’s visual design being a good indicator of “x” game design, good game design should come first, and the current armor implementation on Bowser being the way it is, is not a good means of achieving that (good game design matching visual design). As previously mentioned by many others, Bowser suffers greatly from rushdown currently, even with his armor design, and in previous iterations the armor design (which was more prevalent) was significantly criticized by many, including you.

Armor is not what Bowser needs. A good design would make him far more functional, less polarizing, intuitive to fight against, while being fun to play as and play against.

Last edited:

Ripple

ᗣᗣᗣᗣ ᗧ·····•·····
why can't knowing what attacks have armor and when they break be a fundamental?

tasteless gentleman

Smash Journeyman
I know this post is rather late, but I feel that this is worth posting nonetheless.

I have read many posts that refer to Bowser’s armor as unintuitive to deal with, yet the articulation for explaining why people felt that way is lacking. By addressing a few key points that two people have made, I hope to remedy this lack of articulation, and in turn explain why the implementation of armor (for certain moves) is problematic (or at the very least explain why it is bad design).

I will try my best to keep this post as short, simple and informative as possible. First, the following needs to be understood:

Movement in a fighting game is a necessary component for allowing the use of certain fundamental skills in neutral. The range of a character’s attacks combined with their movement abilities allows that character to threaten a given space at a given time (without throwing out a hitbox). An opponent’s goal during this time (the neutral) is to discern how the opponent is threatening them and to intercept that threat, whether that is to go in and mount an offense, or to counterattack their opponent’s offense, etc.

This aspect of PM (fighting games in general) prevents an opponent from just rushing in and mounting an offense (mainly seen at higher levels). However, currently there are tools that exist in PM that I refer to as “tools that ignore the neutral game.” Such tools are a problem by having significantly limiting counterplay (as in the option’s counterplay restricts the opponent’s options too heavily) and sometimes is further problematic by also being too strong (as in the properties of the option has a significantly skewed risk/reward).

No. The difference is that the armor ignores certain aspects of “fundamentals” (explained in the previous section) that is prevalent in the neutral game whereas Marth shield grabbing does not. In terms of optimal play, when a player attacks an opponent, they will attempt to do so with proper spacing so that they cannot be punished. In the Marth situation, a player can space an attack (Roy’s down tilt for example) to hit Marth, and if Marth shields, then the player (playing Roy for example) cannot be punished by Marth’s shield grabbing and the player (playing Roy) may even be able to press offensively due to the shield’s restrictions.

In the Bowser situation (Bowser’s dash attack as the example), spacing an attack is futile, because no matter how the nonprojectile attack (Roy’s down tilt for example) was spaced (given that it was a direct attack used to stop the opponent from advancing that was also not a whiff punish), the armor is going to go through the attack and hit the opponent (generally speaking). The dash attack also has a large amount of leeway (meaning that timing is even less important) due to having armor throughout the entire startup and even during the first few active frames.

The problem here is that normally, proper fundamentals are what prevent the opponent from being able to just rush in and press buttons. Thus, an opponent has to respect the other player’s ability to utilize movement (mainly dashdancing and wavedashing in Melee and PM) to properly mount an effective offense. However due to the nature of the armor attacks’ implementation, large amounts of offensive option (utilizing proper fundamentals) becomes too risky, which is very restrictive since that is one of the main aspects of the neutral game. This makes the optimal counterplay against such a character to be either just grabbing and/or camping, which is not only severely limiting and not fun, but is also unintuitive (since intuitively, properly spaced attacks win during the neutral game).

Furthermore, normally (as in other traditional fighting games) such armor attacks (that have no cost or execution requirement) have large amounts of startup and are significantly punishable on block. They are designed like this, so that it can only be consistently effective as a “read” to punish well read attacks and not function as a normal attack that also beats large amounts of offensive options. Since Bowser’s dash attack is unreactable (active frame 10), it functions like a normal dash attack in neutral with the bonus of also punishing nonprojectile attacks at any point (regardless of timing given that contact was to be made), whether used as a read or on reaction. Such an attack covers too many options for a single button that requires basic execution and has no cost.

Because of the lack of articulation, certain armor attacks have just been seen as “unintuitive.” Now it should be relatively clear as to why it is, and why such implementation is problematic (design wise).

In short: In Smash (and other fighting games in general) certain fundamental skills are what differentiates high level play from low level play. To allow a character to ignore these aspects of the game, (through the implementation of certain armor properties on certain options) regardless of how bad the character is, is bad game design.

Although it is true that armor is not inherently problematic, the counterplay is not identical to that of any other move with which you don’t want to trade with (if by trading you mean an attack clashing with another attack and getting beaten or both attacks hitting each other at the same time). Moves that you don’t want to trade with can be beaten by not only whiff punishing, but by countering them before they come out (which can’t be done against certain armor attacks). Furthermore moves that you don’t want to trade with are usually significantly slow (both in startup and endlag) and/or significantly lack range/mobility especially when they are already lacking in execution and cost.

Since this particular point was made specifically about nair where the armor is only active during the active frames of the attack, only some of my previous point applies here.

I disagree with this. Bowser currently is not a good character (which most people seem to more or less be in agreement with), and people lack the MU experience, so it’s true that players being better at the MU will allow them to beat Bowser more reliably in his current build. However, the arguments (and/or complaints) being made about Bowser’s armor implementation is about the design itself as opposed to Bowser’s balance.

Although one could imagine Bowser’s visual design being a good indicator of “x” game design, good game design should come first, and the current armor implementation on Bowser being the way it is, is not a good means of achieving that (good game design matching visual design). As previously mentioned by many others, Bowser suffers greatly from rushdown currently, even with his armor design, and in previous iterations the armor design (which was more prevalent) was significantly criticized by many, including you.

Armor is not what Bowser needs. A good design would make him far more functional, less polarizing, intuitive to fight against, while being fun to play as and play against.
I read all this and i have this one question then

What should bowser have that makes him at least a C tier if its not armour? They gutted him in this patch and gave him nothing more than a minor speed boost with a lot of underlying nerfs...

I would also like what you think PMDT's thoughts were on the scales and balances when they made the changes to bowser, Mainly koopa klaw (there was alot of stuff happening and they took it all away for 4 frames of speed)

That also... or just grab, its only the biggest character in the game and a grab gets 90% damage almost if you know what you are doing

and one more thing, how do you feel about his build now (he is clearly acknowledged as E-F bottom tier now) and how the new build disables his already hendered approach game (dash attack and wave land was all he really had to approach properly)

And is armour really as toxic, uninteractive, ect as flame cancel in your face for 7 seconds let the salt rage on?

Last edited:

skellitorman

Smash Journeyman
This post is missing the point entirely. My post is not a post about semantics. You could call such knowledge whatever you like. The way that armor has been implemented ignores a huge skill factor of the game that high level play is testing.

As explained in my post, counterplay is available, but due to such restrictions that it imposes (even when the knowledge of the exact armor properties are known), Bowser’s design is flawed and is not a good character as a result of being balanced around it.

I read all this and i have this one question then

What should bowser have that makes him at least a C tier if its not armour? They gutted him in this patch and gave him nothing more than a minor speed boost with a lot of underlying nerfs...

I would also like what you think PMDT's thoughts were on the scales and balances when they made the changes to bowser, Mainly koopa klaw (there was alot of stuff happening and they took it all away for 4 frames of speed)

I am aware of how Bowser has been changed as I have done quite a significant amount of research on him already. However, since I am aiming to enter the PMDT, I think that it would be best if I don’t discuss (here) any specifics of changes that I would make.

The large amounts of research that I have done since the start of this year (for PM specifically) should be very helpful, especially in addressing the significant issues that have been voiced regarding many things (balance and design wise). I have been recommended by many to join the PMDT for this reason and because of the large amounts of research and work I put into game design already (past 6 years).

That also... or just grab, its only the biggest character in the game and a grab gets 90% damage almost if you know what you are doing

and one more thing, how do you feel about his build now (he is clearly acknowledged as E-F bottom tier now) and how the new build disables his already hendered approach game (dash attack and wave land was all he really had to approach properly)

And is armour really as toxic, uninteractive, ect as flame cancel in your face for 7 seconds let the salt rage on?
You need to understand that more or less everyone is in agreement that Bowser should be a better character, including me. I am not saying that Bowser shouldn't have armor, I am saying that his design should be reassessed, thus becoming a good character that is "far more functional, less polarizing, intuitive to fight against, while being fun to play as and play against."

Last edited:

Smash John

Smash Apprentice
This post is missing the point entirely. My post is not a post about semantics. You could call such knowledge whatever you like. The way that armor has been implemented ignores a huge skill factor of the game that high level play is testing."
I may be missing your point as well, but there are lots of moves in this game that have to be countered and responded to in vastly different ways. You can shield grab Bowser's dash attack similar to many other moves. As you said before, you can't shield grab Roy down tilt. Does that imply that Roy doesn't follow the game's fundamentals? In a game with as many options as Smash offers, high level play imo is recognizing properties of moves, choosing the correct response, and executing on it. Removing the middle step would ignore much more of the "skill factor" of the game. Just because a move's counterplay is different doesn't mean it's unhealthy. As long as the counterplay is there (and it has proper risk vs reward), it can be reasonably adapted to and beaten.

tasteless gentleman

Smash Journeyman
I may be missing your point as well, but there are lots of moves in this game that have to be countered and responded to in vastly different ways. You can shield grab Bowser's dash attack similar to many other moves. As you said before, you can't shield grab Roy down tilt. Does that imply that Roy doesn't follow the game's fundamentals? In a game with as many options as Smash offers, high level play imo is recognizing properties of moves, choosing the correct response, and executing on it. Removing the middle step would ignore much more of the "skill factor" of the game. Just because a move's counterplay is different doesn't mean it's unhealthy. As long as the counterplay is there (and it has proper risk vs reward), it can be reasonably adapted to and beaten.
You can adapt until your blue in the face but a campy and good link/TL/diddy will beat a bowser everytime so what fundamental does that break?

Last edited:

AuraMaudeGone

Smash Ace
Really good post.
I believe the point he is trying to make is that Armor wasn't implemented intuitively, so naturally people didn't believe it was an intuitive feature to Bowser's kit as a result. Band-aiding his problems (Armor) is pretty useless and he has some core fundamental issues going on that are not properly acknowledged. (His basic attributes & defenses)

Frost | Odds

Puddings: 1 /// Odds: 0
Doesn't sound like we disagree meaningfully at all - as I've been fighting for exactly this stuff for quite a while now. I agree entirely that Bowser has historically had far too much armor - my only quibble is that the mechanic itself isn't necessarily problematic; its implementation and the way it's been attached to highly mobile moves (or moves with other unusual properties, like grounded Koopa Klaw) has been the real problem.

Last edited:

TheoryofSmaug

Smash Apprentice
What do you guys think about Koopa Klaw getting its trajectory fixed and also sped up to say frame 3???

KK is an iconic move for Bowser and I think it would be great to centre his play around the move.

Kipcom

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Kipcom
3DS FC
4725-7977-1418
egg lay puts your opponent in the air and starts uair chains and lets u sex kick them as much as u want.

Pretty sure you're invincible after popping out of an egg from Egg Lay. I'm also pretty sure it's around 14 frames or so of invincibility.

So basically, wherever the hell you got the idea that Egg Lay starts uair chains, please put it back.

Kipcom

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Kipcom
3DS FC
4725-7977-1418
it puts people above you, you know the historically worst place to be in smash
Except you know, being off stage (with the exception of some characters with amazing recoveries).

Either way, Egg Lay does not start an uair chain and you'd have to get a good read on their landing to even remotely get the opportunity for that.

Not to mention platforms only stop Yoshi from following up on Egg Lay even more. Egg Lay is not a combo starter.

Also protip, you can immediately waveland after popping out of the egg, so it doesn't even force you above Yoshi. Same applies to DDD's Neutral B when he spits you out.

InfinityCollision

Smash Lord
There are more ways to buff a character than turning a command grab into one of the fastest attacks in the game. That's not "powerful", that's insane. That kind of frame data on a rewarding command grab doesn't really make sense in the context of Smash.

Last edited:

AuraMaudeGone

Smash Ace
Let's not do that.
And why not? Can Bowser not be a good character? One with real tools that are unique and powerful?
There are more ways to buff a character than turning a command grab into one of the fastest attacks in the game. That's not "powerful", that's insane. That kind of frame data on a rewarding command grab doesn't really make sense in the context of Smash.
We SPD's now? We're missing a few things systematically that would make that construct balanced in PM.

Top Bottom