• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Tier List Speculation

DrinkingFood

Smash Hero
Tethers are fine for the most part except the characters where their tethers reel-in too slowly. Any time a tether is bad, it's still strictly a better recovery for gimping purposes than most up-bs are, unless the character has a z-tether and no good backwards-facing edgeguarding options.
Tethers also have advantages in that situations where your opponent isn't immediately available to edgeguard you/grab the edge, it's gonna get you to the edge faster than your up-b even if your tether is one of the slower ones.
I think they're fine the way they are, I'd rather some of the slower ones just be quicker to latch/reel in rather than see any other buffs so they encourage some creativity in terms of mix-ups/conditioning required to make them effective, while also providing the offensive buff of a better edgeguarding game to characters who can utilize them as such.

tasteless gentleman

Smash Journeyman
Frame 3 grab would be gross, Heres my suggestion For KK, Keep the speed, lose the armour, adjust trajectory and knock power back up to 18% to be able to follow up on spacies (why KK took such a nerf i have no idea)...

Now what i can justify is maybe a frame 4-6 down smash and doesnt last as long (peach has a frame 3 one that can do 50%+)

TheoryofSmaug

Smash Apprentice
The whole thing about having Bowser's command grab come out on frame 3 was just trolling......right?

How dare you put Ganon and Pit in the same tier as Wario and ZSS. (I'm not seriously offended so don't take that the wrong way)
It was more so a thought experiment than anything else. I wanted to see people's reaction to it, something that is common is standard fighting games. If I was the sole person on the dev team, I would never ever give Bowser something like that as it would way overcentralize his play.

Manaconda

Smash Apprentice
Now what i can justify is maybe a frame 4-6 down smash and doesnt last as long (peach has a frame 3 one that can do 50%+)
It's frame 5.

I wouldn't mind Bowser also having an amazing Dsmash (if he doesn't have other good ways of dealing with CC), but if it were to do a similar amount of damage (which I know you didn't talk about but it's an assumption since you mentioned Peach), some other hitbox properties would need changing. The hitboxes would also have to be adjusted to provide similar counterplay that her dsmash has, for example being able to easily S/DI out of it and being wide open for attack during the animation.

Bowser's dsmash, taken from the 3.6 frame data thread:

Peach dsmash:

Last edited:

CORY

wut
BRoomer
goofy thought: what if bowser had sol badguy's ground flame for firebreath? or an equivalent, like a slow moving fireball that disappeared about 2.5 bowser lengths away from him?

or maybe zard?

don't know if that would do anything, like i said, just a goofy thought.
It was more so a thought experiment than anything else. I wanted to see people's reaction to it, something that is common is standard fighting games. If I was the sole person on the dev team, I would never ever give Bowser something like that as it would way overcentralize his play.
not calling you out or anything, just pointing some stuff out: throws in fighting games also work very differently than throws in smash, namely, you can't grab someone in hit or shieldstun, and there's a buffer after coming out of both of those that also makes you ungrabbable (and then, of course, no grabbing during airtime, unless it's specifically coded to do so). that allows throws to be faster and for command grabs to work as they do, because they'd be kinda nutso if they didn't have those limitations, since knockback is static in tfg's.

i've wondered how well it would work for pm to do something similar to that (and smash4) by making a non-grab window at least out of throws. i don't think it would work to make you non-grabbable during airtime as a general rule, and i'm not sure how much not being able to be gabbed out of shield stun would matter to most of the cast, anyway, since you'd need attacks that are +7 on shield, at least, but not being grabbable out of hitstun miiiiight be interesting (or it might be dumb and break a bunch of characters?).

i remember asking sethlon once about that idea, in general, and he said if the game were built to support it, it's a good one, but that it was tested once for pm and it just made characters that were kept in check by hard punishes like chain grabs (i.e. spacies...) better by proxy of not having that hard punish available.

AuraMaudeGone

Smash Ace
i've wondered how well it would work for pm to do something similar to that (and smash4) by making a non-grab window at least out of throws. i don't think it would work to make you non-grabbable during airtime as a general rule, and i'm not sure how much not being able to be gabbed out of shield stun would matter to most of the cast, anyway, since you'd need attacks that are +7 on shield, at least, but not being grabbable out of hitstun miiiiight be interesting (or it might be dumb and break a bunch of characters?).
Would break game plans for a chunk of the cast that we're used to, esp against Space animals (zZzZZz) You also can't be grabbed during jump squat in other games, which makes jumping away a viable option against SPD-esque grabs.

Last edited:

Manaconda

Smash Apprentice
I've always thought chaingrabs were stupid but, with exceptions, they typically only work on characters that fall fast enough, most of which are generally considered to be very good in this game. Like you said, characters like Fox would get better without the ability to get chaingrabbed.

I'm probably not wrong in thinking that changing any mechanic in PM (like CC, when you can grab, when invincibility starts on rolls, etc.) that affects the entire cast would drastically change the balance of the game, right?

I'm not sure if this is true or not, but I've been told that in PM, when you roll from the ledge, it's considered occupied until invincibility ends, while in Melee it's until your roll animation ends. I'm sure it doesn't make a big difference in edgeguarding but is there anything interesting to discuss about it?

CORY

wut
BRoomer
it makes a fairly large difference in edgeguarding. pm ledge occupancy is close to half of melee's, iirc (i'm sure someone has the actual numbers for each, though. just a waiting game now, since i'm too lazy to look those up). think about how long you can be off the ledge before the opponent can grab that, now double it. make it even longer for your over100% animations. melee's ledge occupancy was crazy, while brawl's was crazy in the other direction.

pm's is a good middle ground between them and might just need a few frame's tweaking to fix up otherwise.

#allimo

steelguttey

mei is bei
Warning Received
cory go back to ****posting please its making me uncomfortable seeing you be serious

CORY

wut
BRoomer
i'm serious in here a lot of the time. dmg's the tier list **** poster. i just wanted to call df a nerd that one time and gladly took the infraction. (i still think you're a nerd, df. but that's not a bad thing. we're all nerds here.)

skellitorman

Smash Journeyman
I may be missing your point as well-
Hopefully this post further clarifies this for you and others.

but there are lots of moves in this game that have to be countered and responded to in vastly different ways.
This is true, however fundamental skills are still the skills used to counter such moves (for clarification: you may counter move “A” differently than move “B” but the skills used to counter them are the same). Furthermore, how the counterplay is restrictive (and to what degree) determines whether a problem exists design wise. Certain skills should never be restricted in certain ways during the neutral.

You can shield grab Bowser's dash attack similar to many other moves. As you said before, you can't shield grab Roy down tilt.
This is not correct. You can shield grab Roy’s down tilt if it was improperly spaced much like most moves. You can also interact with Roy’s d tilt just like any other nonprojectile attack without armor by counter hitting it, or whiff punishing it. Spacing and timing (it might be easier to think of this as precision and accuracy) are key aspects of fundamental skills that are being followed here.

Does that imply that Roy doesn't follow the game's fundamentals?
No. You’re misunderstanding the term “fundamentals.” "Fundamentals" refer to a specific set of fighting game skills (such as spacing and timing) that also happens to be one of the key factors that separates higher level players from lower level players.

Although knowledge of the properties of “x” (anything whether it’s an attack, or something about the mechanics) wouldn’t necessarily be included here, knowledge of “x” is necessary to play at high level in the game you are playing. Without such knowledge, one can’t determine what options they are covering during the neutral and what options their opponent is covering. It would make it quite difficult to know what would be the best course of action.

I think this is where the misunderstanding is occurring. I am implying that the current armor implementation is problematic (design wise) because of how it ignores certain fundamental skills during neutral even when the knowledge of the properties are known. The key here is that should both players know exactly how the armor works (on specific options that are causing the problems), then the player fighting against it is then forced to play in a way that heavily restricts their options (given that both players are playing optimally).

If you understand the full meaning of the first two paragraphs of my first post that explains how the neutral works, then it should be apparent how restrictive such armor implementation is, when attempting to cover for such an option.

In a game with as many options as Smash offers, high level play imo is recognizing properties of moves, choosing the correct response, and executing on it.
Yes, this is indicative of high level play, however this is a result of fundamental skills being used together with the knowledge of “x” (your characters, mechanics, etc.). Having knowledge isn’t a “skill.” Utilizing knowledge properly is.

At an optimal level of play, both players will have the knowledge needed to compete in the match and so the player with the better skills should be the winner (hence the importance of fundamentals). In essence, fundamentals play a huge part of higher level play.

Removing the middle step would ignore much more of the "skill factor" of the game.
If by the middle step you mean “choosing the correct response,” then no, removing the “middle step” does not occur in the example you have given, or in mine.

The middle step (“choosing the correct response”) against specific armor properties (in terms of optimal play) is to play in a significantly limited way (essentially grab or camp) which is the problem.

Just because a move's counterplay is different doesn't mean it's unhealthy.
This part is true, but as explained previously, fundamental skill is still what should be being tested in counterplay.

As long as the counterplay is there (and it has proper risk vs reward), it can be reasonably adapted to and beaten.
This part is not true. Depending on how the counterplay is restrictive and to the degree that it is, determines whether it is healthy or not. Even if the character is balanced around it, such that he can be reliably beaten, it doesn’t mean that it is not poor game design (hence Bowser in this case). Certain previous designs in past PM builds are also perfect examples of this.

Doesn't sound like we disagree meaningfully at all - as I've been fighting for exactly this stuff for quite a while now.
Indeed.

Last edited:

Ripple

ᗣᗣᗣᗣ ᗧ·····•·····
let's step back and ask ourselves a question. If bowser had no armor, but otherwise was the same, would your game plan be any different? I don't think so.

I don't believe armor is a problem at all because most if not all characters game plan doesn't change.

Bowser's design as a character is the culprit, not armor.

Last edited:

trash?

witty/pretty
Premium
NNID
????
"If bowser had no armor, but otherwise was the same, would your game plan be any different?"

probably, yes. idk why people downplay armor in general (not just specifically when talking about bowser, or even ssb) so much, it allows you to match your opponent's several moves often with just one poke, how is that not a big deal

skellitorman

Smash Journeyman
let's step back and ask ourselves a question. If bowser had no armor, but otherwise was the same, would your game plan be any different? I don't think so.
Actually, yes it would be. It would mean that I can use my entire moveset now (including normal attacks) to stop him from advancing making the match much easier. Imagine how much easier Falco would be able to stop Bowser with lasers for an easy example.

I don't believe armor is a problem at all because most if not all characters game plan doesn't change.
Bowser would still be weak to grabs so grabs would still be a very effective option since he was balanced to be weak to grabs. However now he would be susceptible to everything else that the armor is potentially covering for.

Bowser’s design is the culprit of what? Also, how is his armor implementation not a core aspect of his design?

King of Hoboz

Smash Journeyman

Not entirely sure if that's right; though I only secondary Bowser in 3.5- but a core aspect of his plan for on stage engagement was using armor'd nair and/or dash attack to punch someone for jumping or positioning poorly. To me, armor is like a psuedo-disjoint.

Ripple

ᗣᗣᗣᗣ ᗧ·····•·····
maybe its because I'm a campy player but I absolutely think that armor doesn't change how you can easily beat bowser.

his size, how his model is shaped, and his fall speed, and move set are all more problematic than his armor

TheoryofSmaug

Smash Apprentice
Can confirm Ripple, while Armor was everything to 3.5 Bowser with DA, now I don't even think about Armor hardly.

skellitorman

Smash Journeyman
maybe its because I'm a campy player but I absolutely think that armor doesn't change how you can easily beat bowser.
I see.

You are misunderstanding the purpose of my posts then. How difficult (or easy) it is to beat Bowser (currently) is irrelevant. The purpose was to inform everyone about the problem his armor implementation imposes (from a game design perspective) and to articulate why it felt unintuitive to fight against. I also explain that such implementation is not necessary (or effective) for balance if he were to be designed well.

The other posts were to clarify certain misunderstandings and misconceptions of my previous post.

his size, how his model is shaped, and his fall speed, and move set are all more problematic than his armor
Bowser is bad (balance wise) because the tools and attributes that make a Smash character good are lacking in his design.

What you are referring to as “problematic” is problematic for different reasons than his armor is. Specific armor implementation is problematic from a game design point of view. His attributes and toolset are problematic from a balance point of view.

However, it is important to note that the armor design (current implementation) is an important factor that prevents specific balance changes from happening.

Last edited:

TheoryofSmaug

Smash Apprentice
Armor is in every fighting game I can think of, including smash games. I don't see why it wouldn't be considered a fundamental.

AuraMaudeGone

Smash Ace
You guys are constantly misunderstanding him. He's not saying armor itself is problematic, but how it's designed and placed in Bowser's kit.
He's saying it's not intuitive and good for Bowser in the long run, which I assume you guys agree on that point too.

skellitorman

Smash Journeyman
Armor is in every fighting game I can think of, including smash games. I don't see why it wouldn't be considered a fundamental.
I am unsure how to be clearer in my posts. I have already clarified this.

The way that armor is implemented in other fighting games follow certain "rules." When it doesn't, it poses problems from a game design perspective.

“Fundamentals” refer to a set of fundamental skills that competitive fighting games test. It has nothing to do with mechanics such as armor. Even if it did, semantics are irrelevant as my post is attempting to “inform everyone about the problem his (Bowser) armor implementation imposes (from a game design perspective) and to articulate why it felt unintuitive to fight against. I also explain that such implementation is not necessary (or effective) for balance if he were to be designed well.”

Furthermore as also specified in my original post, armor is not inherently problematic. The way it was implemented is the problem.

TheoryofSmaug

Smash Apprentice
I am unsure how to be clearer in my posts. I have already clarified this.

The way that armor is implemented in other fighting games follow certain "rules." When it doesn't, it poses problems from a game design perspective.

“Fundamentals” refer to a set of fundamental skills that competitive fighting games test. It has nothing to do with mechanics such as armor. Even if it did, semantics are irrelevant as my post is attempting to “inform everyone about the problem his (Bowser) armor implementation imposes (from a game design perspective) and to articulate why it felt unintuitive to fight against. I also explain that such implementation is not necessary (or effective) for balance if he were to be designed well.”

Furthermore as also specified in my original post, armor is not inherently problematic. The way it was implemented is the problem.
I'm sorry if it feels like I am arguing with you, I'm not, I think I agree with what you are saying, but I'm not really clear on what exactly you are trying to mean.

Searing_Sorrow

Smash Journeyman
I honestly thought everyone was in agreement to troll skellitorman, I honestly don't know how he can be more specific. The way bowser's armor is designed doesn't make up for the negative disjoint, poor risk/reward on many of his moves, and his lack of mobility to deal with the plethora of other characters with better options. It's like he is saying 2 +2 = 4 and the next post is asking why -.- .

We all agree bowser needs some improvement/ refinement (still best bowser in any smash game though), and I already proposed my ideal fixes and am curious to hear the flaws in the ideas I proposed on the end of the previous page.

Last edited:

Jonyc128

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Jonnyc64
All right so I made a Versatility vs Viability Chart, this is mostly just based off of my experiences so any feedback would be nice
Also what I mean by versatility, how well that character can adapt to a given situation
Viable vs Versatile Chart v2.png

Last edited:

Searing_Sorrow

Smash Journeyman
All right so I made a Versatility vs Viability Chart, this is mostly just based off of my experiences so any feedback would be nice
Also what I mean by versatility, is the ability to perform in match ups and how well they adapt to a given situation
View attachment 68144
This is more so a tier lost than a true versatility vs viability list. A few character placements competitive wise are highly questionable, see link better than both samus, and g&w in top 7. I want to question how versatility was measured when looking at the whole roster from top to bottom. Example: pikachu's movement options advance tech and spacing based combos make for a highly versatile character that doesnt fully translate into viability. Yet Wario is labeled more viable and versatile?

Diddy is arguably the most versatile character in the game, (high mobility, great air movement between two special moves, and great ground game as well as access to item tech.) but probably just out of the top 5 characters in the game due to having so many even matchups, being poor at combing the fast fall weight class till 40%+, and having the weakest killing power in the entire cast giving many other heavies more opportunities to win in neutral. Outside of those gripes, the list is easy to read, and curious of your stance on defending some of these character's positions.

Jonyc128

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Jonnyc64
This is more so a tier lost than a true versatility vs viability list. A few character placements competitive wise are highly questionable, see link better than both samus, and g&w in top 7. I want to question how versatility was measured when looking at the whole roster from top to bottom. Example: pikachu's movement options advance tech and spacing based combos make for a highly versatile character that doesnt fully translate into viability. Yet Wario is labeled more viable and versatile?

Diddy is arguably the most versatile character in the game, (high mobility, great air movement between two special moves, and great ground game as well as access to item tech.) but probably just out of the top 5 characters in the game due to having so many even matchups, being poor at combing the fast fall weight class till 40%+, and having the weakest killing power in the entire cast giving many other heavies more opportunities to win in neutral. Outside of those gripes, the list is easy to read, and curious of your stance on defending some of these character's positions.
Yea I'll admit some of the placements are questionable, it's why I posted it here in the first place, so I can get more feedback and tighten the chart up a bit. Versatility was based on the ability to adapt and the tools said character has to help with that. I just wanted to post this here to get a feel of what everyone thinks since I don't think normal tier lists are that effective in conveying how strong a character is

Last edited:

Zach777

Smash Journeyman
I don't understand the complaints about Bowser's design. Bowser is one of my favorite characters to fight and my second favorite to play as. I don't see how Bowser breaks the neutral any worse than Falco. Falco kills the neutral game and makes it where you base your entire thought process around his lasers and dair.

Bowser just makes you play more carefully in neutral. I feel like he is intuitive because if you would fight something like Bowser in real life, you wouldn't knock him off his feet unless he has been weakened already (damaged).

I will probably get my head bit off for my stance on Bowser and for thinking Falco is a neutral game butcher but oh well.

Manaconda

Smash Apprentice
Bowser just makes you play more carefully in neutral. I feel like he is intuitive because if you would fight something like Bowser in real life, you wouldn't knock him off his feet unless he has been weakened already (damaged).
If I was fist-fighting Bowser irl what would I do?

Jacob29

Smash Ace
I don't understand the complaints about Bowser's design. Bowser is one of my favorite characters to fight and my second favorite to play as. I don't see how Bowser breaks the neutral any worse than Falco. Falco kills the neutral game and makes it where you base your entire thought process around his lasers and dair.

I will probably get my head bit off for my stance on Bowser and for thinking Falco is a neutral game butcher but oh well.
The complaints are because at the moment he sucks real real bad.

If you just straight up buff him with stat improvements though he becomes really stupid and obnoxious.

Not a lot of people I knew enjoyed playing vs Bowser too much (personally I liked it because as DK you can get insane combos which is fun to me).

So his design has to be changed. Falco can be nerfed in stat areas and still keep his design and not be a trash character.

Warzenschwein

Smash Journeyman
If a vertically challenged, italian plumber can pick up Bowser and throw him around, I sure as ph00k could.

Top Bottom