• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

There is a reason that MLP is so popular.

Status
Not open for further replies.

ciaza

Smash Prodigy
Premium
So from what I gathered, Sucumbio, is that you're high.

Anyway, watch it, like it, love it, or hate it. The only thing I can recommend is to try and do what I did by eliminating as much bias as you can. Don't go in expecting to love it or hate it as you'll end up finding any tiny detail to do so.

Anyways, breaking the boundary between girl shows and boy shows is rad. Challenging the definition of masculinity and what have you.

Have fun watching ponies.

ciaza

Smash Prodigy
Premium
The first couple of episodes were kinda cheesey and don't exactly give any resemblance to the other 24 episodes of the show. I'd really, really advise to watch a few of the other ones before judging it.

I feel like I'm outnumbered here. Bronies wake the hell up so help me God.

I miss quick-edit more than life itself.

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team
It's cool, yo, I'm just jerkin' folks around. I try not to judge, in other words... I just think this movement should have a basis, cause they usually do, and "it's just a good show" isn't exactly selling me. I think it's more than that, but we'll see. Meanwhile, I've got a DVR full of G.I. Joe: Renegades to catch up on. Now THAT's a good show :p

Reizilla

The Old Lapras and the Sea
The first couple of episodes were kinda cheesey and don't exactly give any resemblance to the other 24 episodes of the show. I'd really, really advise to watch a few of the other ones before judging it.

I feel like I'm outnumbered here. Bronies wake the hell up so help me God.

I miss quick-edit more than life itself.
Most probably just went to sleep.

Anywho, if you want to find out why people like, your best bet is to just watch it. It'll do you more good than sitting here trying to figure out how a girl's show can be liked by guys.

Don't worry. It won't make you gay.
okay, maybe just a little

:mad:

Bird Law Aficionado
BRoomer
3DS FC
3351-4631-7285
I've learned to not question why I like the show and just watch it because I enjoy it.

Zatchiel

a little slice of heaven 🍰
NNID
Zatchiel
Switch FC
SW-0915-4119-3504
Anything I would have to say has been said already, or at least summed up, as far as I've read. Using the pilot episode to judge the tone of the show itself is quite... bland. Some pilot episodes are bad representations for the shows themselves, while others induce a great look on the first episode, then slowly get worse and worse. The pilot episode of MLP was honestly not the best episode of the series in my opinion, and it was NOT the first episode of MLP I saw. If it was, I'd probably be reluctant to give the show another chance, since it expresses a feel that I wouldn't have looked into back then when I started. My first episode was "Griffon the Brush Off." That episode was at least half decent enough for me to want to continue watching some more episodes of the series, until I gained legit reason to watch the pilot and every episode in order, to have sense of how it plays out, who the characters are, etc.

Anyway, since Zaj posted his story, I might as well post mine for anyone who would like to know.
My first experience with MLP was when I saw a member with an avatar, signature, and username inclusive of Pinkie Pie. My first instinct was "lolwat. Okay then..." and I went searching around elsewhere. Later that month, I began seeing loads of Youtube videos containing ponies and such, and I attempted to ignore them profusely. It was becoming annoying to see it popping up everywhere, and I soon found out it was a meme, and had it's own community. I wasn't resentful, but I wasn't apprehensive. Some of my closest friends online began displaying their likes for ponies via avatar and signatures, so I began to question it, and even played along by posting whatever pony content I found funny on their walls.

Then, one day, I was at my friend's house, and we were watching TV. It was about 9:00PM EST, and we'd just finished eating after a few games of SSF4. I was scrolling through On Demand, and in the preview box above, a commercial displaying My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic came overhead. At first, I wanted to ignore it, then it began to look interesting by what the announcer was saying. I decided to give at least one episode a chance (I knew that one chance would not be with the pilot episode, this I learned from the pilots of many series I'd watched prior), and I followed the instructions to the My Little Pony section of The Hub. I chose the episode titled Griffon Brush-Off, and within the first thirty seconds, Twilight's response to Pinkie Pie didn't make me feel like it was all that girly. When it got to the intro, I almost utterly lost it, as the show dropped straight down into girlyville and rented a home for 600$ a month. Like, seriously. I was about to press stop and call it quits. But I thought about it for a second, and realized "This is only the intro, and the target audience is very young girls. I can't let that be the basis by which I choose the judge the show." I went onward, left hanging by a thread after the intro and theme song, and the show began to pick back up with Pinkie Pie continuing to chase Rainbow Dash. To sum up without going through how I felt throughout the entire episode, it was a cool start for me. The show was definitely not as girly as I originally thought. It wasn't like they we're doing nails and **** while talking about how they're going to hit up that boy at the mall while constantly singing.

I gave the show another chance and watched another episode, Green isn't your Color. The episode was amazing. Photo Finish became my most favored pony, and I finally felt like the show would hold something dear to me. I didn't really feel like talking about it, so at first, I just kept quiet and threw on an avatar/signature. Sooner on, around my birthday, I decided to get in touch with the rest of the community, which began in the thread, right here on these forums. Everyone was so cool and having something in common with everypony was pretty awesome. I could go beyond brony and say I could see many of them being an actual bro for me. A couple months later, I still enjoy the show, the fanbase product, and many other objects related, and I'm hooked.

FoxBlaze71

Smash Lord
Says the guuy with Fox in his name, Fox in his avatar, Fox as all of his icons and Corneria as his location...
Wow, I lost.

I didn't even notice.
In no way is SF a cult. It's probably one of the least broadcasted mainline Nintendo games out there, save earthbound. It's not like Mario where they release some **** every three months or so.

And the avatar is James McCloud you dip****.

Bird Law Aficionado
BRoomer
3DS FC
3351-4631-7285
In no way is SF a cult. It's probably one of the least broadcasted mainline Nintendo games out there, save earthbound. It's not like Mario where they release some **** every three months or so.

Say what you will, but I'm still not convinced that you don't want his foxy **** in your ***.

FoxBlaze71

Smash Lord
I'm not a ***. Confusing him with his father just adds insult to injury.

Like Frotaz said, ****ing ponies is morally wrong, xD.

Reizilla

I don't think ****ing a father fox is any better than ****ing his son.

FoxBlaze71

Smash Lord
SF is fairly difficult and fairly pointless.

That's exactly why we play it.

And it doesn't matter who's better.

People on this thread need to see the closed thread about MLP in the Pool Room.

Spelt

BRoomer
BRoomer
Something must have drawn the original lot to the show.

Also weirdly enough, what drove a bunch of teenage boys to watch the first episode?
Some of them started watching it because they heard it was created by the creator of foster's home for imaginary friends and powerpuff girls.

Others started watching it because it was getting popular.

You're a furry.

StealthyGunnar

Smash Champion
I've only seen the show once (the first episode), and it wasn't bad. It's definitely not my favorite show, but many some people just love it that much. It does get annoying sometimes, though - having people waving it in your face.

frotaz37

Smash Lord
I watched around 7 episodes of the show, and like...nothing happens. Literally, from the beginning of each episode, all that happens is:

A) Some pony creates stupid teenage girl drama because they're acting dumb.
B) Their dumbness escalates.
C) After hating on each other maliciously or some other needless bull****, they realize "oh we're actually friends and we were being dumb hahahahahah"
D) The show ends.

This is the plot of EVERY episode. There's no real humor, no sense of real conflict, no sense of adventure. It's the most boring excuse for a plot ever. It really makes me miss cartoons from the 80s, where even girls cartoons had quality animation, characters, and plots. All FiM has to offer is like...annoying and pointless pre-teen girl drama, which is not interesting in the slightest.

So yep. Furries.

FoxBlaze71

Smash Lord
I'm pretty sure you remember the first time you played it too.

You ended up missing the AC pilot boss and had to try to dodge the huge *** meteors.

Or, didn't make it that far.

Bird Law Aficionado
BRoomer
3DS FC
3351-4631-7285
12 year old furry with an irrational fear of equines.

Zatchiel

NNID
Zatchiel
Switch FC
SW-0915-4119-3504
Woah. You're not PG. Who is that?
Lucas Perfected/ DJ Rave/ Zatch./ SatoshiMinamino/ AppleZatch./ Princess Luna.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-i5qESgQvgI&feature=related

Eyes closed until the checkpoint.
But we are getting off topic.
I lost.

Which is better, an iconic game, or little girls show?
:foxmelee::foxbrawl:

Scratch that: High school age homo seeking an identity show.
Because you obviously know so much about the MLP: FiM community. Obviously.

ndayday

stuck on a whole different plaaaanet
BRoomer
If this thread were an episode, right about now we'd realize that our differences are no reason to hate and that we really are friends, right?

Right? :bee:

Reizilla

Little Girl's show >>>>>>> shallow monotonous, overrated game

Zatchiel

NNID
Zatchiel
Switch FC
SW-0915-4119-3504
Celestia: I guess one more banishment wouldn't be out of order...

If this thread were an episode, right about now we'd realize that our differences are no reason to hate and that we really are friends, right?

Right? :bee:
Dear Ndayday 4Ever,
Friendship is a powerful thing. Even the worst of enemies can become friends. You need understanding and compromise. You've got to share, you've got to care

Zajice

BRoomer
BRoomer
This thread isn't really gonna change anyone's opinions on the show. It's just for people curious to see the stories of why people like it.

Except it's gonna degenerate into sides *****ing for/against the show.

Like this:
This is the plot of EVERY episode. There's no real humor, no sense of real conflict, no sense of adventure. It's the most boring excuse for a plot ever. It really makes me miss cartoons from the 80s, where even girls cartoons had quality animation, characters, and plots. All FiM has to offer is like...annoying and pointless pre-teen girl drama, which is not interesting in the slightest.
This entire post is >opinions.

I think it has plenty of those things, and pre-teen drama is the exact OPPOSITE of what I see in it. One of the reasons I like it.

>a furry/brony saying furries/bronies are the most tolerable groups

Getting a route canal naked in a freezer while watching fox news (putting this here to have something to compare them to, i'll call it the baseline) >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> furries >>>>>>>>>>> sonic >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> invader zim > mlp > twilight
I like all of the things I listed bar Twilight though. Zim is still one of my favorite cartoons, but I dislike their fans far more than the fans of anything else. The good of that fandom doesn't outweigh the bad. MLP is the opposite. But that's my >opinion.

Put simply, every single fanbase is terrible unless you're a part of the fanbase. You will never like a fanbase unless you're a part of the fanbase.

I'm not a ***. Confusing him with his father just adds insult to injury.

Like Frotaz said, ****ing ponies is morally wrong, xD.
Quoting any one of your posts. I don't care which one, because everything you've said so far is pretty stupid.

Just wanted to let you know you were being stupid.

You're also being a hypocrite, plain and simple.

frotaz37

Smash Lord
I think it has plenty of those things, and pre-teen drama is the exact OPPOSITE of what I see in it. One of the reasons I like it.
The exact opposite of pre-teen drama? You must be joking.

Put simply, every single fanbase is terrible unless you're a part of the fanbase. You will never like a fanbase unless you're a part of the fanbase.
No, that's really not true. Not every fanbase is in your face about it like FiM fans, and usually fanbases can actually give people reasons why they like whatever they are into.

I have yet to see one person give reasons why they like the show beyond "I like it" and "The fans are great" and "It's not as girly as I thought", all of which have nothing to do with the substance of the show at all.

Spelt

BRoomer
BRoomer
I like all of the things I listed bar Twilight though. Zim is still one of my favorite cartoons, but I dislike their fans far more than the fans of anything else. The good of that fandom doesn't outweigh the bad. MLP is the opposite. But that's my >opinion.
That's how I feel about all of them.

Nah, there are plenty of okay, even good fandoms out there.
Basically every other one besides the ones that were listed I can at least stand.

No, that's really not true. Not every fanbase is in your face about it like FiM fans, and usually fanbases can actually give people reasons why they like whatever they are into.

I have yet to see one person give reasons why they like the show beyond "I like it" and "The fans are great" and "It's not as girly as I thought", all of which have nothing to do with the substance of the show at all.
Woaaaaaaah frotaz just said something i agree with.
-gets ready for inevitable earthquake-

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom