• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

There is a reason that MLP is so popular.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zajice

BRoomer
BRoomer
I do admit that in the end, the fact that some pony fans impose heavily on the show DOES hurt the overall image, but in the same vein, the uneducated hate doesn't do any more good. In any case, the haters just need to educate themselves (or not, whatever floats their boat), and the bronies need to learn how to moderate their content.
Quoting for emphasis cause this is by far my favorite part of it.

Vinylic.

Woke?
Switch FC
SW-5214-5959-4787
I've moderated before showing love for the show.

I knew lauren before she made this.

I'm 17 years old and I watch My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic. :fluttershy:

Espy Rose

Dumb horse.
NNID
EspyRose
A quick note to Wretched's "15-16" comment, since I just caught it myself:

I'm 22 years old, and I watch My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic. :applejack:

John2k4

The End of an Era
I have never seen the show, but generally I am not bothered by people who watch it (and love it) too much, unless they go overload/post things that eyes should not be seeing. It's just a show, in that case someone could nitpick and go nuts over how Pokemon appeals a lot to the teens/older generation.

Spelt

BRoomer
BRoomer
I can safely say that I am an educated hater concerning this subject.

Teran

Through Fire, Justice is Served
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988

This thread is getting heated, and I'm watching it carefully.

Yes that's a horse, because of course me being the superior, I must be represented by a superior equine.

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team
... The way everything is so well drawn, the way the pony's manes bounces as they walk, etc.

Have you finished watching some episodes yet, Suc?
Funny you should ask, my wife saw it on the DVR and deleted it. Then deleted the series recording! I'm like "where's the my little pony episode."

"What the ****? I thought you recorded that by accident."

"No! I really wanna watch it, it's really popular for some reason, so I want to see it for myself."

"Dude, that's so gay."

"I know, but... give me the remote!"

*sets it back up to record*

So... alas I must wait another day before I can watch it. I have weathered the scrutiny of my better half, and come out okay, so if it does click, and I keep watching it, then perhaps I will get her to watch it too (I didn't realize it was from the makers of PPG, and Foster's, both awesome shows and a huge plus for me in terms of why this show is popular. They can make anything into pure awesome, even girl toys.)

Espy Rose

Dumb horse.
NNID
EspyRose
Teran, that's gotta be the least threatening thing I've seen since Mic. :applejack:

Teran

Through Fire, Justice is Served
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
Oh I'm sorry for trying to maintain decent conduct in a more friendly way, I can just infract and abuse everyone before closing the blog if you want.

I listen to Metal every day, a lot, yet I don't wear the black clothes or the chains or the metal shirts. I don't need that to feel like I fit in somewhere. I am comfortable with myself. So my question as a whole is why are people so worried about identity? You don't have to be "that girl who likes Doctor Who" and you don't have to be "That one guy who really likes Ponies" and you don't have to be anything, so why go so far to identify yourself with a single TV show? Why would people go as far as to meet in real life and become friends just because My Little Pony is a common factor?

No offense to people who like MLP. There is nothing wrong with it. Like the **** out of it. I'll like you more if you do.
I think you should have tried looking at other examples Wretched since I think your answers lie in other world examples.

You might find it a bit extreme the level of devotion that some people seem to display with this particular like, but you will find the same varying levels of devotion in all other parts of life.

Take the Super Smash Bros. itself. There are people who enjoy playing the game with their friends. There are people who enjoy the game so much they want to be competitive with others. Then you have people who like the game so much they will travel hundreds of miles and pay hundreds of dollars to travel to a tournament they will only attend once in their life only to lose.

And this is only a single example. Whether people enjoy reading, taking the trash out, making a living out of investigating horse sperm, or something else that seems so uncommonly out of the norm, people do stuff they enjoy.

It also so happens that getting involved with something will have a cascading effect. I found out about a site called smashboards, I got involved with it. Months later I find myself practicing for a few hours each day how to do stuff and make sure it was consistent. A couple years later I now find myself trying to organize events for others to enjoy the same thing I enjoy doing.

If you look at your own interests and devotions Wretched I do not think it will be that hard to understand why anyone devotes themselves to something wholeheartedly or very deeply no matter the subject.

Wretched

Dankness of Heart
I know bronys in real life and I've known many smashers in real life.
Ponies is a much MUCH more consuming hobby. The smashers I have/do know(n) don't talk of smash unless they're playing it, or it comes up in a conversation.
The bronies, however, talk about it constantly. A brony sits at my school table and he brings dolls AND WILL NEVER SHUT THE **** UP AND STOP SINGING **** ABOUT FRIENDSHIP.
Then I saw a few videos and lurked in the pony thread for a day, and this is my conclusion. I've yet to see otherwise, and when I said that it consumed a lot of people, I didn't mean people who just happen to like the show, but don't flaunt it.

Zatchiel

a little slice of heaven 🍰
NNID
Zatchiel
Switch FC
SW-0915-4119-3504
You lurked a pony thread that's been locked several times and told to stay on the topic of ponies and the relevant.

>All they talk about is ponies, jeez.

We're not allowed to ramble about anything else in the thread. We leave that to the Brohoof Xat.

Spelt

BRoomer
BRoomer
Nah it gets pretty off topic.
All the evidence you need is my 2k posts in there.

Vinylic.

Woke?
Switch FC
SW-5214-5959-4787
augh. My neck hurts. So, I'm gonna make this quick.

Of course! I know about 4 bronies/smashers in my school. But now i'm away from their school since I'm at another school where they get jobs.

Ponies is a much MUCH more consuming hobby. The smashers I have/do know(n) don't talk of smash unless they're playing it, or it comes up in a conversation.
It's pretty fun. Makes a boring hangout turn into ****s and giggles.

The bronies, however, talk about it constantly. A brony sits at my school table and he brings dolls AND WILL NEVER SHUT THE **** UP AND STOP SINGING **** ABOUT FRIENDSHIP.
You can resolve this lol. This could happen to me. And I would just talk of a different subject. For example, talk of something you like. I'm pretty sure you know this though.

Then I saw a few videos and lurked in the pony thread for a day, and this is my conclusion. I've yet to see otherwise, and when I said that it consumed a lot of people, I didn't mean people who just happen to like the show, but don't flaunt it.
Can you explain further?

Espy Rose

Dumb horse.
NNID
EspyRose
Oh I'm sorry for trying to maintain decent conduct in a more friendly way, I can just infract and abuse everyone before closing the blog if you want.
I'm so scared!
I'm shaking in my little horseshoes.

Well, all I can say is that it sucks that you've experienced the type of brony I mentioned in my giant post. The type of brony who fails to understand that they need to moderate their pony discussions in order to be considerate to those around him who just happen to NOT like pony as much as he does, or at all.

Again, I don't see a big problem with wearing or carrying the merch around (people do that with everything else anyways. Keychains, t-shirts, and even shoes/tattoos), but when someone like the brony you described starts talking and singing endlessly about it, then he's just being a self-absorbed little punk.

It's also a shame that you came to that conclusion from a single day's worth of lurking the pony thread. It takes all kinds of fans, some who do and don't have that proper moderation that I've been talking about. Above that, the thread moves at mach speed from time to time, so it's entirely possible that you observed one of the thread's low points. In any case, as far as your school situation goes, I'd suggest actually getting that brony at your table, and tell him to simmer down a bit. It's one thing to be a fan, but it's another thing entirely to be an consistently obnoxious punk about it. :applejack:

Wretched

Dankness of Heart
You lurked a pony thread that's been locked several times and told to stay on the topic of ponies and the relevant.

>All they talk about is ponies, jeez.

We're not allowed to ramble about anything else in the thread. We leave that to the Brohoof Xat.
Stop acting like this is 4chan. > Doesn't quote and it doesn't make things green.
I was talking about the Brony friends in real life. That's all they talk about even among people who don't care about the show.

Can you explain further?
Well, I met a few Bronies IRL, I watched a few videos of people socializing IRL just for Ponies, and I saw how much time the people in the Pony thread dedicated.
That is how I came to my conclusion.

Espy Rose

Dumb horse.
NNID
EspyRose
There's nothing wrong with socializing about pony, or dedicating oneself within the thread, since it's made entirely for that purpose, Wretched. The problem only begins when the bronies start taking the subject material out of their circle and shoving it down other people's throats. :applejack:

Wretched

Dankness of Heart
Which is exactly my point.
I should restate my position, and say that I don't think that the dedication to that thread alone is too much, but when they post it outside of the thread and make it part of all of their posts in general.

BSP

Smash Legend
Yes, those bronies are annoying.

Good thing some of us arent like that.

And by "part of all their posts", I mean like...turning all conversations into ponies. I don't think an avatar is really making it a part of all your posts.

But if non-bronies bring up ponies, I'll be happy to talk about it with them.

Espy Rose

Dumb horse.
NNID
EspyRose
So it's "too much" when I, say, have my avatar and signature full of pony from your perspective? Or include this little Applejack emoticon in my posts?
I find it strange that you've mentioned "outside the thread" content. Aside from some reaction images (like the one I posted above, though that was more of a snide reply to Teran. Also, if suddenly using pony reaction images is over-dedication, then people replying to posts with reaction images of, say, shows like Spongebob fall into the same category), most of the pony content is self-contained within that thread. I don't see any discussion about pony being held anywhere else on this forum, aside from the social group during the thread's lock, and very rarely do I see another thread get thrown off topic because of pony. :applejack:

Wretched

Dankness of Heart
So it's "too much" when I, say, have my avatar and signature full of pony from your perspective? Or include this little Applejack emoticon in my posts?
I find it strange that you've mentioned "outside the thread" content. Aside from some reaction images (like the one I posted above, though that was more of a snide reply to Teran. Also, if suddenly using pony reaction images is over-dedication, then people replying to posts with reaction images of, say, shows like Spongebob fall into the same category), most of the pony content is self-contained within that thread. I don't see any discussion about pony being held anywhere else on this forum, aside from the social group during the thread's lock, and very rarely do I see another thread get thrown off topic because of pony. :applejack:
Its like you think I think you post ponies outside of the thread.

Phoenix Lord'

Lord' of the Night
Premium
NNID
HououDaimyo1010
3DS FC
3780-9286-8943
Try again.
I love seeing your responses to people saying that, they're always funny.

As for me, I wouldn't say that the animation itself is super amazing or anything. Yes, it looks nice when they move, but all cartoons really should have good animation. So I agree with Spelt that the show shouldn't be getting any brownie points for that. However, what I do love about the show is its art style. I love the way the ponies are drawn, and it's the thing that first drew me into the show. I'm not an artist, yet this is something that I can at least kinda draw myself, and I find that neat.

Also, the show gets brownie points for having a phoenix in it.

Espy Rose

Dumb horse.
NNID
EspyRose
Its like you think I think you post ponies outside of the thread.
That's how I interpreted it from this:

I should restate my position, and say that I don't think that the dedication to that thread alone is too much, but when they post it outside of the thread and make it part of all of their posts in general.
I apologize if I read it wrong, but that's just how I read it. Seemed to me like you were implying that that's exactly what they do, so I felt in the right when I thought that you thought that bronies post ponies outside of the thread. Better to wipe out the misunderstandings now though. In this case, I understand that you see something of a sort of problem when they post outside of the thread, right?

Well, I do agree that it occurs here and there in the form of images and gifs, but nothing out of the ordinary when compared to other gifs and images constantly posted on this website (trollface, Fry from Futurama, umad, etc). I don't see a problem with the image/gif portion of that, since people seem to not have a problem with the other forms of gif and image content tossed about, and like I already mentioned in one of my earlier posts: Rarely, if ever, have I seen pony content consistently discussed outside the respective thread to the degree where it threw a thread completely off-topic.

If I'm failing to understand something, please let me know. :applejack:

Ryo242

Smash Ace
Ooh, I get to put in some bits to this conversation! What to address first? The issue of why bronies associate themselves with the show so excessively? This can be explained via the following analogy:

• People like stuff. This happens everywhere. Sometimes that stuff is rock music, sometimes that stuff is church related, sometimes that stuff is illegal, and sometimes that stuff is pony.
  • Now obviously, when you like things it makes you happy. This is a fundamental human philosophy, which is why we repeat actions like eating delicious foods or continuing to see that one guy/gal. Basically we do things that make us happy.
  • For bronies, there is plenty to associate with for the show. Many memes to make fun of and yet it doesn't depreciate the show. The musical score being remixed appeals to the musically inclined fans, creating various works of art appeals to us artistic types, and writing appeals to the overly creative. In fact, I'd say there's just as much to do with this show as any other famous or infamous show/movie/book.
  • Since there's so much to do, I suppose the main reason as to confusion is why is this popular? It's a show about ponies. It comes on the hub. It's a cartoon. Adding this up creates a barrier to most people, giving them false impressions (false as in unproven). It truly seems like it shouldn't be so popular or have as much fans as it does, especially from the male audience.
  • But it does. How interesting.

For me, the show appeals from most things but the one thing that stands out is that I can't seem to predict where it will go next. Things I expect to happen or am lead to believe do not happen and it just blows my mind.

Espy Rose

Dumb horse.
NNID
EspyRose
You're failing to see that an internet joke is completely different than ponies.
You're going around in circles. I'll respond to you in the same way I tried earlier:

Why is it suddenly "too much" when it comes to pony? Particularly, why is it too much when it's a reaction image that just happens to include pony? :applejack:

Wretched

Dankness of Heart
I don't understand why anyone feels the need to have ponies everywhere on your posts, and then, not specifically you, bring it to threads. THAT IS WHEN IT IS TOO MUCH. THAT IS WHEN IT IS BEING SHOVED DOWN MY THROAT.
I think it is great that you have 5 animated pony gifs in your sig, and a Pony avatar, and a location about your favorite pony, and a custom title of ponies, and you add a pony to the end of all of your posts.
ITS TOO MUCH. IT DOESN'T MATTER IF STARFOX PLAYERS DO IT TOO. IT IS TOO MUCH.

Espy Rose

Dumb horse.
NNID
EspyRose
So it's "too much" for you to handle if I'm fond of representing something I enjoy in this kind of way? Fair enough, but I'll tell you right now that I completely find that type of idea ridiculous. It's a form of self expression that I've always seen as subtle, and what you're implying is that you'd prefer for people to not have avatars, signatures, and subtle emoticons of ponies in their posts. Sounds extremely discriminating from my perspective, even if that wasn't intentionally implied from your post.

Heck, I could say that I find your Peach avatar nonsense annoying (I don't), but I respect that much because even though it's odd, it's not something I can't simply deal with. You're different, and have different ideas of what you enjoy, so I have no problem with that. I'd hope that others would be that way for the pony content, but it's clear from your perspective that for some people, it's not. At the very least, all I can apologize for is that the show got popular enough to be expressed by a significant amount of people on this website (the fans in general who, despite keeping to themselves in both the social and the proper thread for the content, you've found to be grating because we simply decked out our profiles to represent what we like, which has never been an issue before).

If it bothers you THAT much that I have pony in my signature, avatar, custom title, location, and in the form of an emoticon, then you're MORE than welcome to put me, and everyone else that has these features, on your ignore list. It gets rid of that problem quite efficiently.

Alternatively, you're more than free to check the boxes in your profile that hide avatars and signatures. I'm sure that'd saturate the problem a bit.

All I've understood from your last post is that you want bronies to drop their avatars, signatures, posting habits, and to change their information just because it's pony. Not sure if you can see it from your perspective, but this notion in and of itself is just absurd. :applejack:

Phoenix Lord'

Lord' of the Night
Premium
NNID
HououDaimyo1010
3DS FC
3780-9286-8943
What? No one "feels the need to" do anything, we do it simply because we like the show and these characters. And it's not like it takes any real effort to do any of these things either; avatars, locations, and the like are very easy to change.

Vinylic.

Woke?
Switch FC
SW-5214-5959-4787
I don't understand why anyone feels the need to have ponies everywhere on your posts, and then, not specifically you, bring it to threads. THAT IS WHEN IT IS TOO MUCH. THAT IS WHEN IT IS BEING SHOVED DOWN MY THROAT.
I think it is great that you have 5 animated pony gifs in your sig, and a Pony avatar, and a location about your favorite pony, and a custom title of ponies, and you add a pony to the end of all of your posts.
ITS TOO MUCH. IT DOESN'T MATTER IF STARFOX PLAYERS DO IT TOO. IT IS TOO MUCH.
Well, Here's a popularity list...
  1. Ponies
  2. Furries
  3. Asian girls
  4. Anime
  5. Memes
  6. Games
  7. Movie

Wretched

Dankness of Heart
I have no problem with the avatars and the sigs and all of that.
The whole point of my OP was to point out that the show was popular for the reason that people use it to fit in, and they haven't even realized that they don't really give two ****s about the show in general. When I say "It is too much" I should've emphasized that it isn't too much for me, but it is for other people when they don't understand the culture behind ponies.
EDIT: Tokyo. I don't even.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom