• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

There is a reason that MLP is so popular.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spelt

BRoomer
BRoomer
Not a lot of people actually like the show for just the show.

If you go into the pony thread for any small span of time you can see this for yourself.

Seriously all they do when a new episode comes out is criticize it to no end, and then when someone shows interest in watching the show they go out of their way to talk about how certain episodes are terrible and they should avoid watching them at all costs.

Doesn't seem like a true fanbase to me. :054:

Reizilla

The Old Lapras and the Sea
this blog has given me an idea. If I'm not dead when I get home tonight, I'll post here again.

Spelt is the only true fan.

frotaz37

Smash Lord
I'm pretty sure a big % of the fanbase is sexually attracted to the characters in the show.

Just look at the main MLP thread and the pictures they are posting :rolleyes:

Zatchiel

a little slice of heaven 🍰
NNID
Zatchiel
Switch FC
SW-0915-4119-3504
I'm pretty sure a big % of the fanbase is sexually attracted to the characters in the show.

[Insert many, many '.'s]

Shhh.

He's out for our plot stash, everypony for themselves.

Zajice

BRoomer
BRoomer
I guess I can tell this story again...

I got into this show from day one, when it was first posted on 4chan's /co/. I decided to give the show a shot and was pleasantly surprised by it. It was a fantastic breath of fresh air from all the ****ty cartoons being pumped out these days.

Back then I never expected the fanbase to grow this large. I stuck with the small community that had grown, and loved it cause of the amazing fan-content they put out. Not to mention nearly everyone was a true bro and always fun to talk to. I always thought it'd be a small cult following on /co/ or something.

I chose to identify myself with the show waaaaaaaaaaaaaaay back then. When season 1 was still new. And it was for the same reason as everything else. I've used random pokemon avatars cause I like pokemon (especially Gary Oak, I used him a lot). I've done mains I've played in smash. I've done characters in Blazblue. Just whatever I liked. It was no different with ponies.

For me, it's not about joining a group for some identity. (Hell, if anything, I'm one of the people that MADE the group. That's how long I've been around. Literally from day 1.) It's showing off a random topic that I like that happens to be very prevalent at the moment. If ponies were some underground thing still, like they were back pre-summer, I wouldn't have a different avatar because I'd still like it just as much.

Besides, the fandom is amazing (minus the bad apples and annoying people that shove it in your face). I've never seen a fanbase pump out as much content as this one, and it's made all the better by the producers and higher ups actually acknowledging us and giving us nods in the show and ad campaigns and such.

Not a lot of people actually like the show for just the show.

If you go into the pony thread for any small span of time you can see this for yourself.

Seriously all they do when a new episode comes out is criticize it to no end, and then when someone shows interest in watching the show they go out of their way to talk about how certain episodes are terrible and they should avoid watching them at all costs.

Doesn't seem like a true fanbase to me. :054:
You mean saying "skip the pilots cause they're not as good as the rest?" That's the extent I've taken it. And I've never said the pilots were terrible. They were fine. Most people just don't think they give a proper impression of what the show is like.

And we don't criticize the **** out of new episodes either, you crazy.

The only problem I have with the MLP community is the fact that if you question their motives, a large majority of them get horrendously butthurt.

They're kind of like furries. They tend to brag and show off--rather flambouyantly--what they like and any single, even vague opposition causes them to rage.

My frustration is why get so angry over someone questioning what you like.

And yes that frustration applies to more than just the MLP community.
This is a generalization and not everyone is like that. I've always encouraged people to try it, but if they don't like it, I just say "at least you gave it a shot." The difference is when people are *******s about it. Then I'll "fight back." Or when it's Browny talking.

And I wouldn't say MOST are like that. It's just a loud minority.

34's gonna 34

FoxBlaze71

Smash Lord
I agree completely with this blog.

Cartoons end at 10 years or so. ****ing cults like this are bad enough with little ten year old brats.

Also, I agree completely with Frotaz's opinion.

Reizilla

I agree completely with this blog.

Cartoons end at 10 years or so. ****ing cults like this are bad enough with little ten year old brats.

Also, I agree completely with Frotaz's opinion.
Says the guuy with Fox in his name, Fox in his avatar, Fox as all of his icons and Corneria as his location...

Spelt

BRoomer
BRoomer
I lost too.

I skipped Rei's post at first because it's Rei.

El Nino

BRoomer
BRoomer

But...the characters aren't even...like...anatomically...

Eh, who am I kidding? It happens in real life.

MLP is the new Twilight.

Zajice

BRoomer
BRoomer
MLP is the new Twilight.
That's a terrible comparison.

It's more like Sonic, but not as bad.

Though if I have to rank fandoms...

Bronies = Furries >>>> Sonic > Twilight >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Invader Zim

Or something. Just off the top of my head.

Spelt

BRoomer
BRoomer
Bronies = Furries >>>> Sonic > Twilight >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Invader Zim
>a furry/brony saying furries/bronies are the most tolerable groups

Getting a route canal naked in a freezer while watching fox news (putting this here to have something to compare them to, i'll call it the baseline) >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> furries >>>>>>>>>>> sonic >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> invader zim > mlp > twilight

TSM ZeRo

Banned via Administration
Okay, I'm gonna share my experience with the show:

One day I was searching for funny pictures in google. I found a picture of a blue pony doing the "american salute" (Rainbow Dash). I found that to be extremely funny, so I searched everywhere for the source of that picture. I stumbled upon "Know your meme.com" and the first thing to appear, was the face of that blue pony. I read the page explaining it's history and everything. I got really curious about it, but didn't watched the show.

Weeks later, in SmashBrosLatinoAmerica, a new user signed up: KyokoroPamuyo

He had a signature full of ponys, and always talked about the show. I added him to MSN because he was a cool guy anyway. We talked for a bit, and he really wanted me to watch MLP. So I agreed to watch it, since I was already curious about it. Needless to say, I liked the show right off the bat!

I'm not shy to say that I like MLP on public, haha.

Well that's my story.

I find the show to be funny, and a really good cartoon in my opinion. That's why I watch it. I'm not a "big" fan (like to buy merchandise or T-shirts), but I'm a fan MLP :).

professor mgw

Smash Champion
NNID
Prof3ssorMGW
The only problem I have with the MLP community is the fact that if you question their motives, a large majority of them get horrendously butthurt.

They're kind of like furries. They tend to brag and show off--rather flambouyantly--what they like and any single, even vague opposition causes them to rage.

My frustration is why get so angry over someone questioning what you like.

And yes that frustration applies to more than just the MLP community.
^^^^^^Thisssss.

:phone:

Teran

Through Fire, Justice is Served
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
I mean, a good portion of you are probably 15~16 and I know finding an identity is tough
Bull****, the whole "finding an identity" thing is the worst thing teenagers try and do. Somehow they get this idea that conforming to a group's ideals makes them and individual (wut).

All you have to do is do what you enjoy and not make a big deal of it, and you find an identity.

That and get a passport you border hopper.

ciaza

Smash Prodigy
Premium
Is it so far fetched that people have MLP avatars and names simply because they like the show, or am I just ****ing crazy?

Teran

Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
Is it so far fetched that people have MLP avatars and names simply because they like the show, or am I just ****ing crazy?
Yeah but why would they like the show so much? I think that's the main point. Personally my avatars are of characters I really like or just from general media I really like.

Usually if I'm going to make something my avatar, I have to really like it, and I mean the way ponies pretty much entirely saturate the posting space of its fans, what's just weird is why are they SO into it?

Like, honestly wtf kind of artistic genius is this show?

I mean at least weeaboo generic animetards tend to have favourite shows and characters to rock (desu), but MLP just seems like some sort of parasitic infection that's crept into the young male internet surfer demographic.

Teran

Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
Something must have drawn the original lot to the show.

Also weirdly enough, what drove a bunch of teenage boys to watch the first episode?

ciaza

Smash Prodigy
Premium
People like it for different reasons and I can get a million references or Zajice to write a 10 000 word essay on why it's good but ultimately it's going to come down to subjectivity.

Gustave is right however, I am sure there would be people out there who like it because of the community rather than the actual show. I however am a proud hipster who can say I liked the show before it was cool. As soon as I heard Faust created it, it piqued my interest and started watching. I like to think that I watched it from an objective stand point but maybe I simply wanted to like it.

This post answers your new one.

Damn I'm great.

Teran

Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
Yeah well, I'd like to see Zajice post that, if of course by 10k words you mean an endless load of bull****.

The show may be good, but it's not a masterpiece, so I am like wut @ all the mania

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team
So, does this blog mean I should watch it? If so am I a furry if I like it? The show reminds me of recent cartoons in America that try to have an "anime" or "leet" feel to them (large eyes, lolspeak, etc.) like Teen Titans, Power Puff Girls, ... ok well I did say recent and those are old, but you know what I mean, they were a far cry from the old days, like TMNT, or Batman: The Animated Series. MLP... why are guys watching this? Is anyone old enough to remember when My Little Pony, the TOY, was out? There were NEVER any little boys playing with them, not IRL, not in the commercials. Not unless they were GAY.

So... what's up with this? Are they sexually attractive (intentionally or otherwise?) and this is why teen boys dig it?

Help me understand...

And I realize that no one would probably admit that they find the ponies themselves attractive, either looking (they do have sexy eyes and facial expressions, yeah? ... >< ) but their attitudes, too, right? Aren't these ponies like, the ideal girlfriends or something?

:)

Reizilla

It's not a master piece, but it's
North
AMERICAN. Fugg yeah.

qB[

For me though, I just like the show a lot. Any flaunting I do now is just to encourage people to realize that a show primarily designed for little girls can still be great, and so I support the show heavily in appreciation of it not being trash like most cartoons today.

The fanbase, I don't really care much for. I like the cyute/awesome pictures and I've always been a sucker for merchandise, but the whole brony thing and stuff has never really appealed to me and has always seemed like people just trying to hard to make theemselves distinct. Most everyone here is still awesome though.

Really, this blog can be made about any fanbase you don't care for.

ciaza

Smash Prodigy
Premium
Yes, Sucumbio, dead on. We enjoy watching this show because we find them sexually attractive and idolise them as the perfect girlfriends. =P

OP reminds me of Timic.

Anyway, I'm going to go ahead and let a more devoted brony post why the show is good, because I tried to just now and did not do it justice.

This post did not help my position at all.

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team
I do now is just to encourage people to realize that a show primarily designed for little girls can still be great...
Ok, but how is this even the case? It seems to me like boys outnumber the girls in this equation? I mean... there's so many boys liking this show, that they have to have their own designation? BRONIES? ... WTF. I mean... when I was in high school, there was this one dude who pretty much identified himself as Mr. Alternative. He wore **** like, Akira tee-shirts and stuff, and most "normal" people looked at him like "uh, what is that? Is that Japanese???"

"Yeah, man. It's Japanese."

"Oh wow, cool!"

"Why?"

"huh?"

"Why do you think it's cool?"

"Uh... I dunno. Whatever man." lol yeah, typical day in the life of this dude. But see, there was ONE of him. Amidst a sea of hundreds. This blog makes it sound like there's scores of young males all fapping to drawings of animals and WHY? "Cause it's a good show." Ok.. what's good about it? Is it witty? Fun? Deep? And it what way is it designed for little girls? This should seem obvious, I mean, it's My Little Pony, it (used) to be a dead give away as a girl-thing. But, apparently, not anymore! Can you shed light on this?

Really, this blog can be made about any fanbase you don't care for.
Well, ... ok. The OP can be said about anything fad-like, I suppose. But I don't think this is even a fad. It seems to be a genuine following, as if MLP were to suddenly disappear many people would be upset. And others would happily come in to take the place of the originators, fan based art, entire episodes, etc.

Yes, Sucumbio, dead on. We enjoy watching this show because we find them sexually attractive and idolise them as the perfect girlfriends. =P

OP reminds me of Timic.

Anyway, I'm going to go ahead and let a more devoted brony post why the show is good, because I tried to just now and did not do it justice.

This post did not help my position at all.
Lol But that's just it. Sarcasm aside there HAS to be a reason why males enjoy this show, and if it's not for the attraction, then that means that somehow a once entirely feminine product has somehow been morphed to include the male, and this transformation though it seems impossible, isn't?

And what's with MLP = Furries, does that mean that MLP is just as "cool" as furries, or that they are furries, or wtf.

ciaza

Smash Prodigy
Premium
I believe the best thing to do is just watch some episodes. I would recommend Bridle Gossip if only for Flutterguy. It's witty and not just toilet humour. Nigh every episode has a an underlying message that can be applied to real-life situations. For example one episode was about atheism and the belief in God (interested now?). The characters are deep and great in their own way. Even Rarity, the typical stuck-up, pompous princess character is likeable because she is generous, kind, smart and funny. The shows have Easter eggs for adults, not that I can name any of the top of my head. Small details like eyes being dilated at night time shows how much effort they put into the show that I personally like.

There are much more better reasons that someone will offer soon (I hope).

Anyway, the brony community has made the show even better to like with fan-art and fan-fiction.

Some MLP lovers are furries but not all are. I'd imagine some is an extremely small minority but I don't have evidence.

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team
Yeah... watch it. Okay... lol. Ugh. I'm genuinely scared to watch it, see. I'm afraid I might like it. My mind tells me that if I do, that I'm gay for liking it. Why do I care? I shouldn't really. Obviously the internet has allowed several males who all like a girly show to band together in defiance of gender roles and so I should feel secure about admitting I might like it. But... it's no real comfort, you know? I shouldn't care but I do, and so for that reason I've not watched it yet, even though I've lurked boards and threads and youtubes and whatever on MLP for months, trying to just... understand how guys can like it. If someone could just come up with an obvious corollary, I'd be down. Like, well do you remember such-n-such, it'd be like watching that. Ohhh ok, that's cool I guess.

I mean is there even an early example? Is there a cartoon from my generation mid 80's-90's that was targeted for females but that males enjoyed, and not due to hormones?

She-Ra

nah, she was pretty hot. Hell I watched He-man just to oogle the chicks.

Muppet Babies! Ok, yeah, that was a fairly childish cartoon, on the surface, but actually pretty deep when you watched it, but... I saw no gender lines there, ... cast was fairly evenly dispersed between male and female.

... Strawberry Shortcake? TOTALLY a girl cartoon, guys didn't watch that ****. See what I mean? Cartoons of the 80's and 90's had clearly defined gender lines, characters were clear too.

I guess this is just a sign of the times, then? MLP. A cartoon that anyone can enjoy, gay, straight, male, female, furry... .

Ok I'll set up the DVR, but if it sucks, I'm blaming you, ciaza, and if I like it, I'm still blaming you.

Teran

Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
Nigh every episode has a an underlying message that can be applied to real-life situations.
That is true for like 99% of childrens' media.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom