• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

There is a reason that MLP is so popular.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wretched

Dankness of Heart
Link to original post: [drupal=4683]There is a reason that MLP is so popular.[/drupal]

This is sorta a message to the whole Brony crowd. Is the show THAT good? I've seen it a bunch and given it a lot of chances, but it never grabs my attention. Not to say that there is anything wrong with loving the **** out of it. I love that you have something to be a fan of, and whether it is a video game series, or a character, or My Little Pony, I'm happy that msot of you have found something to live for.

Here is my question. Why in the world do you have to identify yourself with it? It is great that you love the show, but do you have to change your username and your title and your location and your signature all to show that you like MLP? It is like a ****ing cult. I mean, a good portion of you are probably 15~16 and I know finding an identity is tough, but do you have to be SO blunt about it? Do you have to completely and totally envelope yourself in Ponies in order to feel like you have a place in the world?

I listen to Metal every day, a lot, yet I don't wear the black clothes or the chains or the metal shirts. I don't need that to feel like I fit in somewhere. I am comfortable with myself. So my question as a whole is why are people so worried about identity? You don't have to be "that girl who likes Doctor Who" and you don't have to be "That one guy who really likes Ponies" and you don't have to be anything, so why go so far to identify yourself with a single TV show? Why would people go as far as to meet in real life and become friends just because My Little Pony is a common factor?

No offense to people who like MLP. There is nothing wrong with it. Like the **** out of it. I'll like you more if you do.

Leaf.

Gets up to speed!
Personally, I just like the show. I do this with about everything else I like too, it's not like my location hasn't been changed for other stuff, or I don't have a pokemon shirt too, I just do it because if I didn't, I'd be just another person with a regular, boring location and stuff like that (no offence to those who have it, because it's actually useful in some cases)

I don't think people have an identity issue with it, I don't do it all to have a place in the world. Then again, I'm not in the age range you targeted that for, but I don't think they do either.
But they might...

I just identify myself with the show a lot because people make the stuff, and I like it. And a lot of the places use the money for charity or something like that, which is a good cause. It's not my main intent for it, I'll be honest, I really just want the shirt/gear really bad. And smashboards options are really easy to change, so why not?

I mean, I really don't know why I go so far as to change all of this stuff to make it look like this, and wear the clothes/stuff for it, I just like it. It reminds me of the show itself when I'm not even around it.
Maybe I'm a bit obsessed, but I'm happy, right?

I've gone and met people (I previously knew them, but it was over a 4 hour trip just for the sake of hanging out) for the show, but that's not all we did. We went and saw a movie and played smash and league of legends too. If I were to meet even complete strangers it would be worth it to hang out, because I just like knowing people. I wouldn't go like, way out of the state JUST for the sake of doing it, but locally? It's just fun. Same reason people hang out to play smash, just a different topic.

I guess MY entire reasoning for it is, why not? I'd rather be dressed in pony swag than the same clothes from some big-name store, and hanging out with people I share an interest with rather than sitting around bored. I do it just because I can.

Wretched

Dankness of Heart
Alex: Well, initally people would think the reason would be because it is a great show, which I don't deny. It is a great show.
The reason is that people needed something to identify themselves with, and this was obscure and defined enough to provide a perfect obsession for people.

I didn't mean to say it is wrong to fit in, either, rainbow. I think it is awesome how together the Pony community is, and I think it is awesome that you make friends through this, but I think people should recognize that the show is DECENT, and that the community is what really makes it.

Leaf.

Gets up to speed!
Oh, nah I didn't want you to take it that way, I was just trying to offer up the best explanation possible before some of the bad parts of our community/haters got in here later today.

Fuelbi

Banned via Warnings
Well why do you put a peach head on every. single. avatar. ever? Do you really need to come up with an identity and all that individuality crap?

Wretched

Dankness of Heart
If you put it in that perspective.
Well, Smash Bros is a competitive videogame. People meet to play that competitive videogame...competitively.

Well why do you put a peach head on every. single. avatar. ever? Do you really need to come up with an identity and all that individuality crap?
Uh, no, its a long time joke that just became habitual. Also, I've had nonpeach avatars. I had Strong Bad's avatar with emo hair.

OmegaXXII

Fire Emblem Lord/ Trophy Hunter
Wow, I figure there's people who like it but there's also people who hate is so much as well? Not that the OP does but IRS something for "bronies" to think about, I guess some of it's fan take it to far with the whole bronnie fandom, I mean; no offense to anybody here but from what I've seen elsewhere, they usually start spamming pony pic everywhere and only seem to talk NOTHING but ponnies, sure I like the show itself, but I think people "hate" it due to it's fanbase which don't seem to act accordingly, and considering the fact that it's alot of grown up guys liking a show (made for little girls) I find that as another reason why people give it hate, which is one of the reasons I've somewhat given up being a bronny, I like the show and all, but IMO when you start repping an avi, your location, username etc...and spend most of your Internet time on just MLP content then I consider it a serious obssession, of your a guy doing so, you need to re-evaluate yourself and think, "you I really like this show to be cool?" i"s it something I genuinely like?" that is what made me realize when I was a bronny a few months earlier, which us why I have somewhat departed from the whole bronny thing, don't get me wrong; it's a good show but when people take it to such extreme obsssesion, it's saddening, grown up guys in particular, again no offense to anybody on here who happens to be like that.

:phone:

BSP

Smash Legend
Biggest reason I identify myself with MLP is to find others who like it. Since it's aimed towards younger kids, it's not something most people would just come out and say, you know?

S

smash brawl player 99021

There's your reason.

And what BSP said :awesome:

Wait, you said why should they meet up in real life? It's wonderful that it's a bridge to making new friends. That's one of the best things about the Internet. It brings people together. This summer I hung out with a bunch of friends I'd met over Xbox Live... and I had a great time. It's a good thing that this is happening.

ndayday

stuck on a whole different plaaaanet
BRoomer
I know this isn't aimed at me at all, but I don't think having a theme translates to an identity. I mean 9/10, I use Pokemon avatars because I like it, and using something like this is much more comfortable and common than using my own face. I get to use my avatars to show stuff I like or I think is funny.

I freaking love Pokemon, and I don't get to show that in real life. Well I could but I just wouldn't feel comfortable.

The only problem I have with the MLP community is the fact that if you question their motives, a large majority of them get horrendously butthurt.

They're kind of like furries. They tend to brag and show off--rather flambouyantly--what they like and any single, even vague opposition causes them to rage.

My frustration is why get so angry over someone questioning what you like.

And yes that frustration applies to more than just the MLP community.

Zatchiel

a little slice of heaven 🍰
NNID
Zatchiel
Switch FC
SW-0915-4119-3504
I identify myself with MLP because the show's grown on me and I enjoy the accompaniment I have with other bronies I can relate to. It's kinda like when I first played Smash and joined SWF. I'm not going to go off the deep end of exaggeration and say the show is THAT good, but it's something I never saw myself watching. The "fad following" does not hold a spot to me in any form whatsoever.
I'm also not afraid to express what I like anymore, and MLP led me to pursue that trait. Before I saw the show, I was a very antisocial, contained person, and I didn't even bother attempting to make many friends offline. It's altered my personality severely, in a positive manner, and I've never felt better about expressing myself. Of course I'm not flamboyant enough to throw it upon others in an attempt to convert, but if someone questions me, I don't lie to them about it. My love for the show is definitely genuine, and I don't do it for the following. I'm not obsessed (yet, at least), but I am a pretty strong-loving fan.

Here is my question. Why in the world do you have to identify yourself with it? It is great that you love the show, but do you have to change your username and your title and your location and your signature all to show that you like MLP? It is like a ****ing cult. I mean, a good portion of you are probably 15~16 and I know finding an identity is tough, but do you have to be SO blunt about it? Do you have to completely and totally envelope yourself in Ponies in order to feel like you have a place in the world?
It's not something we HAVE to do, but if we have the option to do so, it's considerable. MLP fans change their username for the same reason that anyone else on here would: Because we want to. It shouldn't be questioned just because it expresses what we like, and it makes them happy, and it's their account, what justified power do you have over them expressing their likes?
*shrug* It's a show, it isn't for everyone. I'm not one to outcast anyone for what they like.

Fuelbi

Banned via Warnings
I know this isn't aimed at me at all, but I don't think having a theme translates to an identity. I mean 9/10, I use Pokemon avatars because I like it, and using something like this is much more comfortable and common than using my own face. I get to use my avatars to show stuff I like or I think is funny.

I freaking love Pokemon, and I don't get to show that in real life. Well I could but I just wouldn't feel comfortable.
I know, but Wretched is saying that do we really need to have that much of a sense of identity if we're putting on MLP or Pokemon avatars, then I pointed out he also has a theme with nearly every avatar ever

Wretched

Dankness of Heart
Why are you so hell bent on making sure that I have bad intentions? I just want the community to recognize that they've subconciously become LIKE most other bronies for an unorthodox reason. I mean, for a while, the thread was a social thread for people who HAPPENED to all like ponies and for some reason you all sorta became the same person.
My intention was hoping that Bronies would become a bit more individualistic by reading this, and they'd be able to identify themselves without Ponies.

I just want to make you think. Take this, for example... Who would you be if ponies never came around? Would you be a different person? What would you like? How would you spend your time? Who would you be friends with?

:mad:

Bird Law Aficionado
BRoomer
3DS FC
3351-4631-7285
Take this, for example... Who would you be if ponies never came around? Would you be a different person? What would you like? How would you spend your time? Who would you be friends with?
I would be Alex Snyder, I would like Dexter, Pokemon, League of Legends, Forrest Gump, steak and I'd spend the majority of my time at school or with friends.

Wretched

Dankness of Heart
Alex, you're one of the ones who just likes the show. I've never seen you with an avatar or a location and I've never heard you talk about ponies to me or try to get me to watch ponies.
Btw I finished season 4 of Dexter.
wat
wat
wat

Zatchiel

NNID
Zatchiel
Switch FC
SW-0915-4119-3504
Why are you so hell bent on making sure that I have bad intentions? I just want the community to recognize that they've subconciously become LIKE most other bronies for an unorthodox reason. I mean, for a while, the thread was a social thread for people who HAPPENED to all like ponies and for some reason you all sorta became the same person.
My intention was hoping that Bronies would become a bit more individualistic by reading this, and they'd be able to identify themselves without Ponies.
We had something in common, and we magnified it to a vast communicative level. Label that as advancement or apocalypse as you will. I notice a lot of people raining down on one peculiar fact: We like ponies. From a viewpoint of "common" society, there's a problem with that. The enormous internet gathering made it into an issue that people are attempting to digress constantly. It's annoying, for me at least, seeing annoyed members judging the MLP community as a whole just because some people go around trolling and taking it to an idiotic degree. It happens so often, and it's unfair, utterly.

I just want to make you think. Take this, for example... Who would you be if ponies never came around? Would you be a different person? What would you like? How would you spend your time? Who would you be friends with?
I'd probably never find reason to express myself. I wouldn't prefer to do a lot outside of Smash or other hobbies I had prior to finding MLP, and I'd spend a majority of my time in isolation from too many friends and society. I probably would not make many friends offline without the assistance of the boards themselves.

Bird Law Aficionado
BRoomer
3DS FC
3351-4631-7285
Alex, you're one of the ones who just likes the show. I've never seen you with an avatar or a location and I've never heard you talk about ponies to me or try to get me to watch ponies.
Btw I finished season 4 of Dexter.
wat
wat
wat
I've had pony avatars on numerous occasions and even remember talking to you about them on Xbox.

OH MY GOD
RITTTTAAAAAAAA~!! ;____;

Leaf.

Gets up to speed!
Yink, I don't think you have bad intentions.

I would be Alex Snyder, I would like Dexter, Pokemon, League of Legends, Forrest Gump, steak and I'd spend the majority of my time at school or with friends.
Tofer talked you into League of Legends it while in the pony xat, right?

Bird Law Aficionado
BRoomer
3DS FC
3351-4631-7285
I'm sure Badger would've convinced me to play it because we'd have nothing better to do without ponies.

Bird Law Aficionado
BRoomer
3DS FC
3351-4631-7285
I will **** your **** up, Leaf.

Zatchiel

NNID
Zatchiel
Switch FC
SW-0915-4119-3504
I'm giggled that they take our bronyism seriously.

TG, I love you, but you're killing me. If anything, change that "our" to "I." Minds can spark alike, and in difference, but you can't just go off saying that all of the fans are a total joke that could not care less about the show. I'm not saying some don't, but by no stretch of margin is it all of them.

Zatchiel

NNID
Zatchiel
Switch FC
SW-0915-4119-3504
There's always going to be limits to anything, and they're going to be select individuals who aspire to break that point of limitation. Being a serious fan of the show is one thing, but hoarding yourself in a room with nothing but ponies everywhere as if it's some sort of strict religion is another.

Also, I may be replying to a different matter, so for clarification, who do you mean by "they?" IIRC, everyone on these boards is a person, furry or otherwise, they're human.

Bird Law Aficionado
BRoomer
3DS FC
3351-4631-7285
Pliskin is a dog and he's a member of this site.

Vinylic.

Woke?
Switch FC
SW-5214-5959-4787
"They" as in people who doesn't watch the show.

Either a furry or a weaboo. Or anything else.

edit:

:Mad: showing off with dat pliskin, arf.

Zatchiel

NNID
Zatchiel
Switch FC
SW-0915-4119-3504
Pliskin is a dog and he's a member of this site.
Well, damn :c Forgot about everyone's favorite little buddy. I don't see him around anymore D:

"They" as in people who doesn't watch the show.

Either a furry or a weaboo. Or anything else.
Serious
1. (of a person) Solemn or thoughtful in character or manner.
Oh, well, being a brony isn't something "serious?" Whenever someone asks me if I seriously have an appeal to the show, I'm never reluctant to say yes, or shake my head in a confirming manner. If we're willing to change our names, avatars, signatures, etc. to display our liking of the show, I find that serious enough to say we definitely enjoy the show, or at least products of the fanbase. I really wouldn't mind what people thought of about anything I do, but if I hear it, I'd like it to be something positive. I for one am indeed rather serious about what I like.

I'm a very shy guy. I never talk or anything. MLP is kind of a platform to let me express myself

People usually have a few very special objects to them whether it's a piece of art or a show or maybe a music track. As mentioned before it's just a window of expression.

Take for example I'm using a Spike avi from Cowboy Bebop. The show to me is one of the greatest things since I discovered home made Brownies. In a way I want people to know and may make a few friends with the same interest in the show.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom