• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

There is a reason that MLP is so popular.

Status
Not open for further replies.

John2k4

The End of an Era
Brony is a human male who is obsessed with the ponies in the show.

ciaza

Smash Prodigy
Premium
Suc - Give it some time, the theme song will grow on you as will each of the characters as you go on and see the rest of the episodes =p.

Otherwise I agree with everything else you said. Challenging the concept of manliness - being able to admit that you enjoy watching MLP was central to its rise.

Ecstatic that you and your wife like the show now. I'm sure it'll make for some interesting dinner table conversation when you have friends round and your wife starts telling everyone that you enjoy watching My Little Pony.

Welcome to the Herd

John2k4

The End of an Era
I've not seen the show, but that is the common definition I've seen thrown around everywhere...sorry if it sounds too harsh. :/

Zatchiel

a little slice of heaven 🍰
NNID
Zatchiel
Switch FC
SW-0915-4119-3504
The theme just reflects the target audience, Suc. I still feel odd whenever I hear it myself. Glad to see you enjoyed it, though.

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team
Suc - Give it some time, the theme song will grow on you as will each of the characters as you go on and see the rest of the episodes =p.

Otherwise I agree with everything else you said. Challenging the concept of manliness - being able to admit that you enjoy watching MLP was central to its rise.

Ecstatic that you and your wife like the show now. I'm sure it'll make for some interesting dinner table conversation when you have friends round and your wife starts telling everyone that you enjoy watching My Little Pony.

Welcome to the Herd
Thanks, lol I won't go so far as to say I'm gonna start buying tee shirts and **** but it's definitely a good show and worth watching.

The theme just reflects the target audience, Suc. I still feel odd whenever I hear it myself. Glad to see you enjoyed it, though.
Yeah, I guess that's true... being a musician I scrutinize a show's music more than anything else I think, and it just struck me as OMG this sucks, but the actual show more than makes up for it.

Reizilla

The Old Lapras and the Sea
The show's theme is as catchy as a children's show's theme needs to be. It does grow on you though.

john!

Smash Hero
Link to original post: There is a reason that MLP is so popular.

This is sorta a message to the whole Brony crowd. Is the show THAT good? I've seen it a bunch and given it a lot of chances, but it never grabs my attention. Not to say that there is anything wrong with loving the **** out of it. I love that you have something to be a fan of, and whether it is a video game series, or a character, or My Little Pony, I'm happy that msot of you have found something to live for.

Here is my question. Why in the world do you have to identify yourself with it? It is great that you love the show, but do you have to change your username and your title and your location and your signature all to show that you like MLP? It is like a ****ing cult. I mean, a good portion of you are probably 15~16 and I know finding an identity is tough, but do you have to be SO blunt about it? Do you have to completely and totally envelope yourself in Ponies in order to feel like you have a place in the world?

I listen to Metal every day, a lot, yet I don't wear the black clothes or the chains or the metal shirts. I don't need that to feel like I fit in somewhere. I am comfortable with myself. So my question as a whole is why are people so worried about identity? You don't have to be "that girl who likes Doctor Who" and you don't have to be "That one guy who really likes Ponies" and you don't have to be anything, so why go so far to identify yourself with a single TV show? Why would people go as far as to meet in real life and become friends just because My Little Pony is a common factor?

No offense to people who like MLP. There is nothing wrong with it. Like the **** out of it. I'll like you more if you do.
i think it really is about identity for some people (but not most)

personally, i just like the show, and love the community, and i don't really care who know it. my avatar is from mlp (you can't tell unless you watch the show), but that's it.

edit: teran is dumb

Spelt

BRoomer
BRoomer
90% of people in here who say they genuinely like the show are lying, or just naive.

ぱみゅ

❤ ~
NNID
kyo.pamyu.pamyu
3DS FC
4785-5700-5699
Switch FC
SW 3264 5694 6605
This thread......

I'll think of something later.... I'm basically just subscribing atm....

MechaWave

Smash Champion
I have just ordered my custom MLP T-shirt online and cannot wait to strut around in it like a ******.
Unfortunately people will think otherwise because of the show's popularity.

Don't get me wrong, I like the show very much but not that much.

ciaza

Smash Prodigy
Premium
To hell with what people think, good or bad.

If I want to strut around with this on I'm gonna. Brohoofing everyone all day will get old though.

Teran is cripplingly ********.

Teran

Through Fire, Justice is Served
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
To hell with what people think, good or bad.
That's a pretty funny sentiment because while it would be awesome if everyone agreed with that and stuck to its ideals, they don't, and that makes life suck.

I mean the people themselves who say that can't help but pass judgment in their own ways, which makes them hypocrites.

Oh by the way, you guys are doing a great job of making me reconsider trying to keep this thing open.

I think it's really hilarious how I try to be somewhat benign in terms of moderation and let discussion flow because I feel there are a lot of misconceptions from both sides when it comes to this topic, but apparently, all you want to do is taunt me for trying to be fair and more lenient.

Perhaps asinine behaviour like this could be a contributing factor to your community's unpopularity? Maybe?

Haha asinine get it it's an equine.

ciaza

Smash Prodigy
Premium
You take things too seriously, I was joking. I wanted to see what you would call people given the assumption you were cripplingly ********, as I thought you might be CLEVER enough to come up with a hilarious description for them. Also, how did you being fair link into it? I was not taunting you for being fair, I was just taunting you =/. Infract/warn me and move on, don't close a whole thread of more or less constructive posts over it =/.

People can have thoughts and opinions, and yes I will pass judgement on people all the time, doesn't mean the recipient has to care about them xDDDDD.

What community are you referring to?

Well this got off-track rather easily, seems like you had some venting to do.

Teran

Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
I said that because it started with Espy, then moved onto John, and now you.

And yes, usually I would give a smartarse reply to all of you, but if you notice a couple days ago my name wasn't red, that's because I got in trouble for being a little too Teran like.

So, basically, for now I'm trying to avoid making someone else really upset by grinding them into the ground with vitriol.

ciaza

Smash Prodigy
Premium
I'm not sure how closely you are forced to follow protocol, but if a select few people keep screwing up and not responding to infractions, infract them more points, or ban if they still don't change. Eventually people are going to figure out that messing around = bad.

It's not worth closing an entire thread over 2 or 3 people, which is what you got in trouble for I'm guessing? Correct me if I'm wrong.

Teran

Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
It's okay I know how to do my job considering I've been doing it for over 2 ****ing years.

And yes, yes it is when those 2-3 people are part of a community that this entire topic is the main focus of and infracting them has a high chance of spurning them which leads onto others from the same community either causing a scene here or contacting me etc etc

I guess I inferred I was looking to lock this blog as my main course of action, which isn't true, all I'm saying is, taunting the moderator who started out by trying to keep this thing alive is perhaps one of the most ******** things you could do, and such insolent behaviour on a community's part, that community being pony***s, can leave a sour taste in people's mouths, and come off as a general indication of what you're like.

If you want to horse around, that's fine, but bearing in mind I mod this room, I can't have people generally just throwing insults at me, because it sets a precedent for everyone to be like that, so when someone is being serious and I do have to deal with that, I can't because I've let everyone else's slide so what makes this so different?

People can lie about context, so yeah, there are a lot of factors to consider, the ultimate being I'm right about everything, and you know what, instead of closing the blog or even infracting, I guess I'll play your game then and verbally mop the toilet floor with the next person who thinks they're smart.

That should be fun, right?

As for the topic itself, continue as usual.

ciaza

Smash Prodigy
Premium
I wasn't 'taunting' you as part of the brony community, I was taunting you as ciaza. Just like I'm sure Espy and john were. Though I'm not sure what Espy really did wrong.

Espy is a moderator that seems to be mature, I like to think I can be mature should the occasion arise and john seems like a cool cat. Don't know why you think we're going to ape-**** and give a secret horse call to the brony community to spam your inbox or cause a commotion or something.

No, you can't have people disrespecting your authority and what have you, but don't punish the whole friggin' community by shutting down someone's carefully written blog.

Teran said:
People can lie about context, so yeah, there are a lot of factors to consider, the ultimate being I'm right about everything, and you know what, instead of closing the blog or even infracting, I guess I'll play your game then and verbally mop the toilet floor with the next person who thinks they're smart.

Really mature, don't do your job by infracting the "bad people", stoop to their level instead. I see why you lost your job for a moment or two.

I guess I'll play your game then and verbally mop the toilet floor with the next person who thinks they're smart.

Can I take the place of the next smart mouth so others do not have to take the pressure. Therefore, I say "Teran da best".

Now, in relation to a previous post. Is this sincere, kissing up, or nothing of the above?

But anyway, a whole lot about this topic hasn't changed. No one really truly understand the factors that drove them to become involved in anything. It always seems to be a huge list of factors coming from recent and past events.

Teran

Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
Really mature, don't do your job by infracting the "bad people", stoop to their level instead. I see why you lost your job for a moment or two.
It's hard to tell when someone's being facetious isn't it?

ciaza

Smash Prodigy
Premium
Who are you? ballin4life? Don't nit-pick me on one thing, respond to everything else or I'll go around prancing like I've defeated you.

Teran

Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
If you insist.

I wasn't 'taunting' you as part of the brony community, I was taunting you as ciaza. Just like I'm sure Espy and john were. Though I'm not sure what Espy really did wrong.
We won't discuss Espy here and that's water under the bridge.

Espy is a moderator that seems to be mature, I like to think I can be mature should the occasion arise and john seems like a cool cat. Don't know why you think we're going to ape-**** and give a secret horse call to the brony community to spam your inbox or cause a commotion or something.
I don't really like the concept of "maturity" to begin with, but anyway, Espy is cool, and I don't know about you two, so unlike Espy, I have to approach dealing with you in a different way. I never said you were going ape****, but you were opening a floodgate and setting a tone, and yes it may have been "ciaza the individual", but so was John an individual, and obviously since everyone so far was a member of the pony community, and you seem to be discussing this blog in your MM thread, there is a chance that people will come in and band as friends and start messing with me instead of actually discussing the topic, which of course, I decided to nip in the bud. I try to stop potential commotions, if there is a commotion it's already too late.

No, you can't have people disrespecting your authority and what have you, but don't punish the whole friggin' community by shutting down someone's carefully written blog.
I can take whatever course of action I deem best suited for maintaining civil conduct and order, like I've said before (but it seems to be going over your head), closing ANYTHING is an absolute last resort, if you actually checked the history of this section and see how heated some of the things have become without me closing anything, you'd know I'm pretty forgiving of things flaring up, but the thing is, I also try to avoid things flaring up in the first place, because that would be ideal. Basically all you've been doing is continue to be annoying and answer back like a know it all.

Newsflash, you don't know the half of how volatile and inflammatory UB is, so before you start telling people how to do their job even though you have zero understanding of the moderation guidelines set in place for us, maybe you should consider the fact that whatever I do has a sense of reasoning and thought behind it based on 3 years of experience, seeing as how I pretty much ran the place anyway even when I didn't mod it.

ciaza

Smash Prodigy
Premium
I like how I haven't visited MM in roughly 6 months. Are they discussing it there? Neat, I might go check it out. I don't see any proof that they're going to start coming in as friends to start messing with you though. *Starts praying that they don't begin to do so*.

It seems to be going over my head because you haven't rejected my assumption that you got temporarily removed as a mod for closing threads. It shouldn't be too hard to give me a yes or no on this. I come off as a know-it-all? That's the first time I've ever heard that in my life. Not sure if I should be flattered or insulted.

Yes, I've openly admitted I know jack-all about how mods are expected to run this place, hence why before I specifically I said I didn't know how forced you were to follow protocol. I'm not trying to tell you how to do your job, I'm voicing my opinion on what I believe to be fair. I don't believe locking someone's carefully written blog is fair. Of course I bloody realise that everything you do has reasoning mate, I wouldn't have passed psych 101 if I didn't. I'm trying to do what I think is best for the whole community by suggesting ways to deal with the situation.

Teran

Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
I like how I haven't visited MM in roughly 6 months. Are they discussing it there? Neat, I might go check it out. I don't see any proof that they're going to start coming in as friends to start messing with you though. *Starts praying that they don't begin to do so*.
The point is there is always a possibility, and one that I want to avoid. You can't prove what happens in the future, so uhhh... I don't exactly see how your point there is even remotely relevant. Also, I honestly don't hope they do either, because like I've also been trying to drum into your head, my goal was to keep the discussion OF THE TOPIC flowing.

It seems to be going over my head because you haven't rejected my assumption that you got temporarily removed as a mod for closing threads.
Rest assured it wasn't for that, since even if I wrongly closed a thread, it could just be, you know, reversed with the click of a button.

It shouldn't be too hard to give me a yes or no on this. I come off as a know-it-all? That's the first time I've ever heard that in my life. Not sure if I should be flattered or insulted.
Well know it all in the sense that you think you know what you're talking about when it comes to moderation.

I'm voicing my opinion on what I believe to be fair.
Well have I closed the blog yet? I mean, could have just completely dismissed everything you've said, instead I'm actually spending the time to actually answer your posts and try to put across why your assumptions that I'm being unfair are incorrect. I mean the thread isn't locked, I haven't infracted you, I mean how much more fair can you get?

I don't believe locking someone's carefully written blog is fair.
I've had a carefully written blog get locked, and it was because the ensuing discussion was heated and somewhat spammy after a few pages. I didn't mind, it's just the way it has to be sometimes.

Of course I bloody realise that everything you do has reasoning mate, I wouldn't have passed psych 101 if I didn't. I'm trying to do what I think is best for the whole community by suggesting ways to deal with the situation.
All methods I'm fully aware of and would have employed were they the best course of action.

ciaza

Smash Prodigy
Premium
The point is there is always a possibility, and one that I want to avoid. You can't prove what happens in the future, so uhhh... I don't exactly see how your point there is even remotely relevant. Also, I honestly don't hope they do either, because like I've also been trying to drum into your head, my goal was to keep the discussion OF THE TOPIC flowing.
So wait, the POSSIBILITY of something happening that you have NO proof of is warrant to shutting down someone's ENTIRE thread? No, I can't prove what something WON'T happen in the future, but I'm not here to prove a negative. If you're going to base your actions on something that might happen in the future, show some plausibility that that future is going to happen.

Rest assured it wasn't for that, since even if I wrongly closed a thread, it could just be, you know, reversed with the click of a button.
Thanks broski, now I know ;).

Well know it all in the sense that you think you know what you're talking about when it comes to moderation.
Oh OK, which you haven't at all shown, since I've openly admitted I do not.

Well have I closed the blog yet? I mean, could have just completely dismissed everything you've said, instead I'm actually spending the time to actually answer your posts and try to put across why your assumptions that I'm being unfair are incorrect. I mean the thread isn't locked, I haven't infracted you, I mean how much more fair can you get?
No, you're right you haven't locked the thread but you implied that you might. This is my issue.

I've had a carefully written blog get locked, and it was because the ensuing discussion was heated and somewhat spammy after a few pages. I didn't mind, it's just the way it has to be sometimes.
You may not, others might. Vermanubis might have been having a grand old time arguing with what'stheirfaces before his thread got locked - I know I certainly would be.

All methods I'm fully aware of and would have employed were they the best course of action.
Here's hoping. The funny thing is, we should be on the same page. This stemmed from me apparently taunting you - which for the record I wasn't - but if it got interpreted that way (which I can very much see how it is and I should've been more clear), then I'm sorry. I'm well aware that you're doing your best in your own, weird, caustic way, but I'm still going to stand-up if I feel an injustice (or one coming on).

May I go back to taking friendly digs at Sucumbio soon please?

EDIT: Hey Acro how ya doin? You should've told me about this place before I started heckling you over Battlecow and other silly issues in the DH ;).

Teran

Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
So wait, the POSSIBILITY of something happening that you have NO proof of is warrant to shutting down someone's ENTIRE thread? No, I can't prove what something WON'T happen in the future, but I'm not here to prove a negative. If you're going to base your actions on something that might happen in the future, show some plausibility that that future is going to happen.
No it gives me reason to WARN AGAINST.

No, you're right you haven't locked the thread but you implied that you might. This is my issue.
Well I will if it gets completely out of hand, which, so far, it hasn't.

You may not, others might. Vermanubis might have been having a grand old time arguing with what'stheirfaces before his thread got locked - I know I certainly would be.
That thread had infractions thrown out like hotcakes and none of the flaming stopped. I was actually away when that was going on, when I came back to see the aftermath and continued bs, I closed it, and tbqh that was more than warranted.

Here's hoping. The funny thing is, we should be on the same page. This stemmed from me apparently taunting you - which for the record I wasn't - but if it got interpreted that way (which I can very much see how it is and I should've been more clear), then I'm sorry. I'm well aware that you're doing your best in your own, weird, caustic way, but I'm still going to stand-up if I feel an injustice (or one coming on).
Well then I guess this doesn't need to continue then does it? :p

May I go back to taking friendly digs at Sucumbio soon please?
If you keep to the topic too, sure.

ciaza

Smash Prodigy
Premium
Alright, I'll drop it then - which I probably should've done a while ago. The sad thing is that we've made this topic more deserving of a lock than what it was.

I still disagree with a lot of things but bully for me right?

Now to stay on topic as suggested:

Yes, yes that is chibi Fluttershy with a bunny on her head.

Espy Rose

Dumb horse.
NNID
EspyRose
But anyway, a whole lot about this topic hasn't changed. No one really truly understand the factors that drove them to become involved in anything. It always seems to be a huge list of factors coming from recent and past events.
:(

I kinda explain my personal view a few pages back.
I enjoy the show because it drives me to become involved as the story progresses. It does this by using elements that I am fond of/personally deal with in my own life in order to keep my attention. There's not much else.

Also, though this isn't my perception, saw this quote from the pony thread:

"Why do I like MLP:FiM, when there are plenty of other shows actually aimed at my demographic?
Because it makes me smile. Truly, fully, unconditionally smile.
It wasn't until I felt this that I realized how long it had been since anything out in this sick, sad world had done so. Laugh? Of course, but a smile? To smile like no matter how bad it gets in life, there's always hope and always a way through it... that took ponies."
A bit dramatic, but you kinda get the point. :applejack:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom