• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Zelda CCV Project - Editing Phase Started, Moving at a Very Slow Pace

Kataefi

*smoke machine*
I'll definatly send in some clips if you'll accept me. I play a bit of Zelda on the side for friendlies / MMs, but I do have some nice footage available, and im more then capable of recording for myself aswell, would it matter to you if the clip is in 16:9?
Also... excusing the fact that it's like 6am lol... I haven't been to those london tourney thingies in like FOREVER. You need to pm me details. We should totally train zeldas! When is the next one? I finish uni soon and I need to something like this to keep me busy...

@HSS I'll have some vids sent to you guys soon as well!

Half-Split Soul

Smash Lord
Now we're talking! Also, I added one more requirement for the clips submitted since I forgot it earlier: Offline matches only. This is in the OP now too.

Edit: I'll also list everyone who has submitted clips into the OP once we've gotten a few more submissions in.

Still accepting clips?

I could record the clips I have but the product will be really bad quality and look like this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xAaQ0u9ppJ4 (obviously not the clip but an example of quality) and that quality shouldn't really be in a combo vid so yeaaaaah.
Yep, clips are still very much accepted and wanted. If you can't record them in a good quality yourself just go here for assistance:
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=266067

Okay, I'll add both of these to the list of suggestions.

I'll definatly send in some clips if you'll accept me. I play a bit of Zelda on the side for friendlies / MMs, but I do have some nice footage available, and im more then capable of recording for myself aswell, would it matter to you if the clip is in 16:9?
Of course we'll accept you! Anyone is free to submit clips if they want to!

The final video will be made to be widescreen, so 16:9 should be fine. However, in case the most of the clips would end up being 4:3 aspect ratio and a sudden change to widescreen would end up looking weird, there might be a need to re-record your clips later with 4:3 instead... if that's possible, of course.

MrEh

Smash Hero
The final video will be made to be widescreen, so 16:9 should be fine.
Wait, what? The final video will be 16:9?

All of the footage that people have submitted is in 4:3. If you wanted a widescreen video, then you'd have to change the aspect ratio of all the footage. This is a big no no. If all (or most) of your source footage is fullscreen, then leave it at fullscreen.

If you're making the video widescreen just for the sake of making it widescreen, then it will be a giant mess. It does absolutely nothing to the quality of the video, except make everything look fat and make the filesize even higher then it has to be.

Making the 4:3 footage into 16:9 will not help integrate Killerjaws' recordings any better either. Combining the two would make the original 4:3 footage appear fat compared to Killerjaws' footage, and it will be even more noticeable in the video. (when you transition between the upscaled 16:9 and actual 16:9, the difference is extremely noticeable)

Best option, besides getting Killerjaws to re-record in 4:3, would be to just crop his footage. Hopefully he and his opponent took the 2nd and 3rd controller port. Otherwise, the portraits and names of the characters will be cut, and that looks really ugly. Another problem with this is that the footage will not pan out correctly when someone goes flying off screen, due to chopping off so many pixels from the sides. (vertical kills look fine, but horizontal kills look really weird)

tl:dr

Widescreen...

1. Will make everything look fat
2. Will take longer to encode
3. Will increase the filesize
4. Will do nothing to the quality
4. Don't do it.

Ports used were a variety, some 1 and 4, others varying from 1 and 2 and such. I have not recorded my clips yet, but if you want it in 4:3 thats fine with me, Mr.Eh is right about the file size, it does decrease dramatically, but any videos I upload with my Capture Card are always in 16:9 because it just looks well.... nicer x.x

Btw there is a z in my name <3

Kataefi - OMG I never even knew a Zelda player EXISTED in the UK, we need to train Zeldas together. I shall PM you the details ASAP.

MrEh

Smash Hero
Ports used were a variety, some 1 and 4, others varying from 1 and 2 and such. I have not recorded my clips yet, but if you want it in 4:3 thats fine with me, Mr.Eh is right about the file size, it does decrease dramatically, but any videos I upload with my Capture Card are always in 16:9 because it just looks well.... nicer x.x
Recording the clips in 4:3 would be an extremely good idea.

In all honesty, playing Brawl in 16:9 is much nicer looking then 4:3. However, in efforts to remain consistent with the rest of the footage, 4:3 is preferred.

Recording the clips in 4:3 would be an extremely good idea.

In all honesty, playing Brawl in 16:9 is much nicer looking then 4:3. However, in efforts to remain consistent with the rest of the footage, 4:3 is preferred.
That's fine by me, I was simply offering is all. Kay, I'll get to recording my clips soon enough.

Also, are you stalking me? D:

Bandit

Smash Lord
I brought up how most of the video (if not all of the video) will be 4:3, but we can do other things with the extra space in the 16:9. This is why 4:3 is still the best because we might be using the wide areas for other things.

MrEh

Smash Hero
If the entire video is 16:9, and you just add black bars to the 4:3 footage...

There's not much you can do with the space, unless you want to show the names of the players vertically. This however, is extremely distracting and hard to read. Two elements that should not be in a video. Like I said, it's a lot of effort to add widescreen when all it's going to do is make the filesize larger and make everything messier.

Also, transitioning between the 4:3 with bars and the 16:9 footage will still look ugly.

MrEh

Smash Hero
Having the names appear like that would be fine...if all the footage was in 16:9.

If we take the 4:3 footage and add black bars to the sides to make it 16:9, the name would appear in the black part of the screen. This becomes a problem because it becomes very distracting.

It's fine on 16:9 footage because it's subtle. You see the name but you don't really notice it that much. However, if the name were to appear on the black bars, it would become VERY noticeable because it would appear outside of the actual video footage. The viewers attention would have to be completely diverted from the video itself to read the name.

In this case, I think it's best that the video just stay fullscreen

Fullscreen would be quite inconviniant now that I think about it tbh. However, we should really think about the possiblity of names with 4:3, I'll have a look around for some good examples, but I honestly don't know of many these days since all recent combo videos are running 16:9 x.x

Bandit

Smash Lord
People have game footage from replays they couldn't get anymore.

Everyone plays tournaments in 4:3 because 16:9 has lag. You could record in widescreen if you record the replay, but you would need to plan for it. In the end, it is just a bigger file.

MrEh

Smash Hero
Fullscreen would be quite inconviniant now that I think about it tbh. However, we should really think about the possiblity of names with 4:3,
The location of the name should not be obstruct the video in any way. If the name is too close to the center, then it's distracting. If the name is too far away from the action, then your eyes will be forced to to look a far distance away to see the name. This detracts from the video as well.

Just have the names appear in a corner. Name placement looks neater to me if it remains consistent, so someone should just pick a corner and stick with it. lol

Besides placement, just choose a subtle-yet-readable font. Simple.

Bandit

Smash Lord
Us taking 4:3 gameplay and putting it into 16:9, we can move the video around to suit our needs. We could move it to the right and have information the left or something like that. It just keeps some options open.

Plus, HSS made the decision to go 16:9 and he is the main editor of the project.

Well if it's staying like that im perfectly fine with it. I'll just record both formats of files so I don't have to do it at a later date x.x

MrEh

Smash Hero
we can move the video around to suit our needs. We could move it to the right and have information the left or something like that. It just keeps some options open.
What would you use that empty space for? Walls of text? It's an community exhibition video, not a biography of each player.

Plus, HSS made the decision to go 16:9
Seems like a premature decision to me, especially since it's clear that no one even knows what that space will be used for.

I've never really seen someone utilize the actual empty space.. We could attempt to modify it with After Effects. For example, if Zelda was performing her dins, we could get something to come in from the black box and hit the opponent instead of dins doing it, kind of like how Izaw messed with Links arrows.

Half-Split Soul

Smash Lord
All of the footage that people have submitted is in 4:3. If you wanted a widescreen video, then you'd have to change the aspect ratio of all the footage.
I wasn't intenting to change the aspect ration for the footage. What I meant is that the video will be made as widescreen with black bars in sides. Then, if some kind of need appears for the extra space it can be used. An example could be making intro texts go slightly over the boundaries of 4:3 in order to make them easier to read.

And I completely agree with what you said. If there seems to be no practical use for widescreen I won't force it on the video.

Fullscreen would be quite inconviniant now that I think about it tbh. However, we should really think about the possiblity of names with 4:3
The problem is that nearly all Brawl footage is fullscreen. If the whole video could be made from just clips recorded specifically for this video, everything would be made in widescreen. This isn't the case however.

Also, names will probably appear in either one of the top corners. That method is simple, clean and just plain works, even in fullscreen videos.

MrEh

Smash Hero
I've never really seen someone utilize the actual empty space.. We could attempt to modify it with After Effects. For example, if Zelda was performing her dins, we could get something to come in from the black box and hit the opponent instead of dins doing it, kind of like how Izaw messed with Links arrows.
Still not worth the effort of using 16:9 just to have a couple special effect clips in there. Would it be funny? Yeah it would, but not worth the effort.

A good exhibition video really only needs 3 things.

1. Good music
2. Good clips
3. Good editing to make 1 and 2 flow together

I wasn't intenting to change the aspect ration for the footage. What I meant is that the video will be made as widescreen with black bars in sides.
That's what I figured.

Then, if some kind of need appears for the extra space it can be used. An example could be making intro texts go slightly over the boundaries of 4:3 in order to make them easier to read.
You don't need to utilize extra space to make words easier to read. You just need to use a font that's actually readable. lol

Half-Split Soul

Smash Lord
You don't need to utilize extra space to make words easier to read. You just need to use a font that's actually readable. lol
Extra space really helps when a long-ish sentence ends with a long word. Without it there's no other choice but to either make the text size smaller to make everything fit the same line, or to let the last word drop to the next line. The extra space in the sides gives a third option of decreasing the text size just enough to make the entire sentence fit the same line without getting too small to read. Will there be need for this, I don't know yet. Probably not. But it's still nice to have that option there if we happen to need it.

tl:dr
The designing of the video will be made assuming that the extra space is available, but the widescreen will be dropped if it doesn't add anything to the whole.

KayLo!

Smarter than your average wabbit.
3DS FC
3497-1590-7447
Just make it fullscreen, imo.

What long-ish sentences are gonna be in a combo video anyways? The focus is the clips, not.... lots of words. ;;

It was your matches v that Marth which really shocked me. Dtilt to bair.... TO GOOD.

Bandit

Smash Lord
Here is the 2 songs I found that are Zelda remixes. Both of them are free downloads on the author's sites.

The Legend of Zelda Medley by Grospixels http://www.grospixels.com/site/remixang.php
The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past - Unsealed by CarboHydroM http://www.carbohydrom.net/music.html

Just search the page for the titles to find them. I wish I could present them more conveniently, but this is the best I can do at the moment.

I really like the last song ;o. I've heard of that game before but never seen it's soundtrack. Im intriged ;o.

GodAtHand

Smash Lord
I remember the Grandia and Bloody Tears.
Remember as in you heard them in another video? Or remember as in you played the games those songs were in?

I should be able to get tons more Combo Video Moments since I finally took the initiative and got about 20-ish videos off of Peachkids wii. I just need to get my friend to e mail them to me so I can upload them to my youtube.

MrEh

Smash Hero
If the raw footage is still available, then it would be best to upload the video itself to a file hosting website after uploading it onto Youtube.

At least it'll give HSS (or whoever is making this video) some better quality to work with.

I finally got the footage I needed X.x I'll get to recording it asap, gonna go sleeps first however ;o.

Darkmusician

Smash Master
The Bloody Tears I used for Gimpyfish The Movie aka Boozer Cute 2. The Grandia song I remember because I used the final boss theme from that game in It's Super Kneeffective.

Half-Split Soul

Smash Lord
Situation updatorz and stuffs!

We need more clips before we can even start really working on the video. Much more clips. Much, much more clips. Much, much, much... okay, you get the picture. So keep submitting those great gameplay moments of yours!

The music has been decided... sorta. Or not. Oh well, it will all work out anyway.

Feel free to still suggest names for the video. I suggest Sexy Poses & Sparkles.
Since I have such amazing imagination.

The overall planning of the video has been almost finished.

Finally, despite the lack of news lately, this project has by no means been abandoned or forgotten. I'm still very much motivated to get it done.

Bandit

Smash Lord
I will be posting my music comments tonight in the group. Holiday + Other Commitments hit me like a rock, and I am finally free again.

Top Bottom