• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Data 'The Wise Ganon' (ATS/Frame Data/Guides & Competitive Discussion)

Illuvial

Exploring Tallon IV
NNID
Illuvial
3DS FC
1435-3676-0317
Switch FC
SW-1736-8649-2292
Punishing rolls with his Down Smash isn't effective, punishing with Up Smash is better since its faster and only hits at one angle instead of alternating

Utilize his Down B and Side B more. His Down B can be use to get out of sticky situations when you see the opponent running towards you or it can be used to punish if they roll away from you. His Side B is self explanatory, it leads to big damage and oki opportunities

rahsosprout

Smash Apprentice
Could you update my section on the flame choke followups?
The original one I did was crap. There are some qualifying statements in the original thread that aren't that important.

http://imgur.com/9LhItgJ

Edit: also just a question, if they tech roll away, are there any guaranteed followups/is it even worth testing?

Last edited:

Jacob29

Smash Ace
Personally to me, and the other local top players.

Ganon sucks really badly.

But heck he is the most fun character in this dry game so I am going to main the hell out of him.

jahkzheng

Smash Lord
I feel I ought to elaborate on the custom equipment I discussed earlier in this thread a while ago now...

For those curious, my initial equipment was a Super Agility Badge with +35 Speed and -22 Attack, a Mystical Magic Stone with +31 Attack and -21 Defense, and a Protection Badge with +15 Defense and -7 Speed. My numbers in total being Attack 9+, Defense -6, and Speed +28. This set gave me AC SH dairs easily and it was with just a small set of options as I'd not acquired much equipment at all at the time. I did some tests on my power and defense as well with Warlock Punch from the default position of FD. I could kill default Ganon about 5% earlier, but he could kill me about 4% earlier. The damage he did to me and the damage I did to him were also increased in both cases.

Later I got more equipment and was able to make a custom Ganon with Attack +2, Defense +1, and Speed +22. Still had SH AC dairs and no negatives. Yes, I didn't hit as hard, but default Ganon hits plenty hard already. I didn't test if the 2% gave a significant boost to my attack but I'd imagine it wouldn't be more than a 1% damage increase or a 1% sooner kill.

I understand this stuff may not at all be relevant to competitive play since I'm talking about custom equipment here, but I did acknowledge that in my previous post. Just elaborating on my customs for those curious.

DooshMcDoosh

Smash Rookie
I'm not sure how important this is considering the move involved, but Warlock Punch seems to lose its armor when reversed.
are sure u werent just really high in dmg? it does lower the armor cap for the frames the more dmg u got

Super_Smasher6

Smash Cadet
i can confirm that you lose your super armor when reversing it, a fireball from mario will cancel your move at low % :/

Ray_Kalm

Smash Master
NNID
Ray_Kalm7
3DS FC
3626-0429-4546
Could you update my section on the flame choke followups?
The original one I did was crap. There are some qualifying statements in the original thread that aren't that important.

http://imgur.com/9LhItgJ

Edit: also just a question, if they tech roll away, are there any guaranteed followups/is it even worth testing?
Thanks for your work. Edited into the OP.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
I believe on grounded flame choke, we can chase away techrolls with DACUS.

Obviously I can't test this yet, but U-smash has similar startup to F-smash, and you can punish inward techrolls with F-smash.

This is a very big deal because I believe DACUS techchase might be safe even if they don't techroll away because you will crossover your opponent, and techroll away is usually the hardest option for Ganondorf to punish. Also now we generally have a KO option on every escape option the opponent has after Flame Choke.

Last edited:

Shogger

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Shogger
3DS FC
2552-2996-2619
Lay off the smashes. The beauty of Ganondorf is that a lot of your moves hit hard. Why use the slowest ones? At the beginning you were just throwing out smashes and hoping they connected. Step back, space a bit by walking and shielding, and try punishing with tilts or jabs, or grabs. Then you can lay on the ham once he's airborne or higher %.

Also, if you're coming down towards someone who likes to try and juggle in the air, use Down-B. Does hella damage and knockback, and people don't expect it if you don't do it often.

Last edited:

Z1GMA

Smash Hero
I've been abusing SH Uair > Buffered Gerudo lately, against ppl falling to the ground.
Thanks to the new landing airdodge-mechanic, some characters can't really respond to it that well.
Either you try to outpower Ganon's Uair (good luck), or you airdodge and eat his Gerudo.

This is nothing new - we did it in Brawl, but I just can't stress enough how powerful this is in this game.
For many opponents, it creates a window that is hard to do anything about, really.
Actually, it's so good in this game, that it deservers its own name;
Dark Window? Evil Window? Wicked Window?

Usmash can work at times as well, but it's not nearly as practical as Uair.

Last edited:

Thinkaman

NNID
Thinkaman
3DS FC
1504-5749-3616
Important:
Villager Timber Counter is a very important move to understand. It has 15 HP and reflects all melee attacks until it dies. The attack that kills it is not countered.

Ganon can kill the tree safely with:
  • f-smash
  • u-smash
  • bair (best option)
  • fair
  • dair
  • initial aerial hitbox of fresh default wizkick
This is a very dominant and powerful move against people without projectiles. Ganon should consider taking default wizkick and default Flame Choke in this matchup if bair proves insufficient.

Last edited:

Opana

Smash Lord
NNID
PINKYz
3DS FC
0748-3814-1504
Honestly, I only use Usmash to bait with the IASA frames.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
Important:
Villager Timber Counter is a very important move to understand. It has 15 HP and reflects all melee attacks until it dies. The attack that kills it is not countered.

Ganon can kill the tree safely with:
  • f-smash
  • u-smash
  • bair (best option)
  • fair
  • dair
  • initial aerial hitbox of fresh default wizkick
This is a very dominant and powerful move against people without projectiles. Ganon should consider taking default wizkick and default Flame Choke in this matchup if bair proves insufficient.
I don't believe Default Wizkick outweighs FOOT DIVE in this matchup simply because FOOT DIVE is superior for actually getting out of traps safely as well as recovery, which are two things Ganon appreciates against Villager.

Warlock Blade in contrast is probably underrated for killing the tree.

Opana

Smash Lord
NNID
PINKYz
3DS FC
0748-3814-1504
I find it best to bait them into chopping the tree or power shield, may not be the best methods but they work for me.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
I find it best to bait them into chopping the tree or power shield, may not be the best methods but they work for me.
You're talking a different move. This is one of the Villager's custom moves.

Dr. Krumm

Smash Apprentice
I've been abusing SH Uair > Buffered Gerudo lately, against ppl falling to the ground.
Thanks to the new landing airdodge-mechanic, some characters can't really respond to it that well.
Either you try to outpower Ganon's Uair (good luck), or you airdodge and eat his Gerudo.

This is nothing new - we did it in Brawl, but I just can't stress enough how powerful this is in this game.
For many opponents, it creates a window that is hard to do anything about, really.
Actually, it's so good in this game, that it deservers its own name;
Dark Window? Evil Window? Wicked Window?

Usmash can work at times as well, but it's not nearly as practical as Uair.
I tried this out, and yea, this is pretty damn good. Unless the opponents character has some crazy disjointed dair to challenge Ganons Uair, this is really useful. Either they eat the Uair or the eat the Gerudo.

Oh, and I vote for Wicked Window, that way we can confuse newcomers and say WW, they'll think we're talking about Wind Waker. ;)

Dr. Krumm

Smash Apprentice
I have found that Nair is excellent for combo-breaking, comes out pretty fast, has quite good hitboxes and hits twice. One of my sparring partners main Greninja and I destroyed his combos all day with Nair.

Oh and Ganon wrecks the Ninja off-stage. God I love how his recovery only has a wind box, he ate the tip man all day long last time we played.

Dr. Krumm

Smash Apprentice
I feel I ought to elaborate on the custom equipment I discussed earlier in this thread a while ago now...

For those curious, my initial equipment was a Super Agility Badge with +35 Speed and -22 Attack, a Mystical Magic Stone with +31 Attack and -21 Defense, and a Protection Badge with +15 Defense and -7 Speed. My numbers in total being Attack 9+, Defense -6, and Speed +28. This set gave me AC SH dairs easily and it was with just a small set of options as I'd not acquired much equipment at all at the time. I did some tests on my power and defense as well with Warlock Punch from the default position of FD. I could kill default Ganon about 5% earlier, but he could kill me about 4% earlier. The damage he did to me and the damage I did to him were also increased in both cases.

Later I got more equipment and was able to make a custom Ganon with Attack +2, Defense +1, and Speed +22. Still had SH AC dairs and no negatives. Yes, I didn't hit as hard, but default Ganon hits plenty hard already. I didn't test if the 2% gave a significant boost to my attack but I'd imagine it wouldn't be more than a 1% damage increase or a 1% sooner kill.

I understand this stuff may not at all be relevant to competitive play since I'm talking about custom equipment here, but I did acknowledge that in my previous post. Just elaborating on my customs for those curious.
I tested some stuff myself, you need exactly 18+ in movement to AC your Dairs, on top of that you can do full hop Nair and still have time to use the mid air (which I believe Ganon could do in Brawl), which does not work with standard stats Ganon. Both of these things are really powerful should customs be legal, since it enhances his options and his mobility. Like you said, he already hits hard and is already heavy, so it is my belief that improving his greatest weakness, which is mobility, will be most benefitial.

Edit: holy moly, I'm totally spamming the forum right now! My apologies! xD

Last edited:

Opana

Smash Lord
NNID
PINKYz
3DS FC
0748-3814-1504
I'm not sure if this is correct, but did you tank the Thunder with WP super armor and then hit him with it offstage?

If so, that's fricken' awesome.
Yes sir, the SA frames literally saved me from the bolt and the shock and killed him off. One of the most bad ass kills I've eveer gotten lol, I was trying to recover like in brawl with the reverse reverse punch. It still somewhat works but not as good.

Sorry for the quality though.

Z1GMA

Smash Hero
If anyone didn't know, Mega Man can Up+B out of Gerudo instantly before touching the ground.

Last edited:

Opana

Smash Lord
NNID
PINKYz
3DS FC
0748-3814-1504
Not 100% on this, but when my timings off for wizkick ledge cancels into aerials, it seems to buffer a nair. Might be useful for covering a lot of area or something, idk but wanted to mention it.

Z1GMA

Smash Hero
Not 100% on this, but when my timings off for wizkick ledge cancels into aerials, it seems to buffer a nair. Might be useful for covering a lot of area or something, idk but wanted to mention it.
Yeah, the same happens to me. If I try to WKC > buffered aerial, I always get a Nair.
I don't know why this happens yet.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
Yeah, the same happens to me. If I try to WKC > buffered aerial, I always get a Nair.
I don't know why this happens yet.
What I heard is in this game, the buffering system is only able to que one input at a time.

Z1GMA

Smash Hero
What I heard is in this game, the buffering system is only able to que one input at a time.
That sucks. Expalins why I can't SH Bair > buffered turnaraound-Dtilt.

This means C-sticking will not be as useful as I thought.
At least we'll get iDA and quicker smashes. Hopefully increased range on reversed Fsmashes as well.

Opana

Smash Lord
NNID
PINKYz
3DS FC
0748-3814-1504
I don't recall this in Brawl, and it's likely been brought up but you can fast fall an uair right as you run offstage. Didn't try much else, but know from experience that fair and nair won't work lol.

Also, a follow up I've started experimenting with for missed flame chioke techs(Where applicable):
Flame Choke->Dtilt->Full Hop Flame Choke

I know aerials gerudo isn't as good, but maybe it can lead to a ganoncide or just catch an unsuspecting foe.

Thinkaman

NNID
Thinkaman
3DS FC
1504-5749-3616
New game! Convince me that I shouldn't always use Flame Chain vs. Flame Choke!

HeavyLobster

Smash Champion
NNID
HeavyLobster43
Here's something interesting I've found. If you FH Warlock Punch/Blade off of one of the side platforms on BF so that you go offstage, the attack will come out just a bit below the stage and you can make it back if you use Dark Vault(not if you use either of the other recoveries). Considering the armor on these moves, this could be a useful, albeit risky, edgeguarding tactic, especially against predictable horizontal recoveries like DK and Bowser's.

Opana

Smash Lord
NNID
PINKYz
3DS FC
0748-3814-1504
New game! Convince me that I shouldn't always use Flame Chain vs. Flame Choke!
Flame Chain isn't as versatile, can be shielded unlike choke, no ganoncide, and Flame Choke sounds cooler.

Top Bottom