• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Winning Steak Cinemas: Video Archive & Criticism Thread Updated

BSP

Smash Legend
I was referring to Wario

Fsmash is good, but Wario's just more capable of punishing it so I need to be more wary of risk v reward vs him

~~~~~
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DoSO3J4gl6w

All the stuff Tesh said still applies, but IDK how I'm supposed to fight back in wario's combos. He's got so much more priority in everything :X And trading is really bad in most cases with wario's ******** Uair.

I do need to mix up my recover more. He started to catch on to me going to the ledge. I could've footstooled a lot of times too.

Funny thing about the Luigi match is that I haven't gone Luigi in tournament in months, yet I got him down to last stock + high % I was talking with Excel some and I may just go Luigi from now on, cause while I do think Sonic can beat Wario, it almost seems not worth the extra effort when you're playing it out :X

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
thats what secondaries are for dude.

I mean, theres a guy in my region im better than that mains lucario. Am I going to play sonic against him even though its a painfully tedious and annoying matchup and I have a solid fox secondary on deck? Hell no, cause thats why hes there, so i dont have to deal with bs like that, even if I can win it.

Tesh

Smash Hero
Use whatever you are comfortable with, but Jnig is obviously more skilled of a player right now. Don't be surprised if he continues to beat your Luigi too. Making smart decisions based on risk/reward and using mix ups properly and being less predictable will apply to all characters. I highly doubt you are going to get away with alot of that stuff with another character.

Wario is only -1 in my book tho. Even tho you don't seem to be willing to play patient against him you might not be thrilled when you learn how easily Wario can avoid Luigi if he wants to. You managed to bring it back game 1 despite dying at like 50 to a fluke panic kill.

BSP

Smash Legend
We'll see. I'd rather not switch off Sonic unless the MU is truly unwinnable, and Tesh's right. I lose because I'm screwing up and being stupid.

We shall see.

Mr. game and watch

Smash Master
Yo, sonic's the gayest ****** around, and all videos of him are full of you ******s sonic furries who get hard at dem blue spinys.

Sonic just gaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay.

:phone:

XLR8TION

Smash Ace
NNID
XLR8TION
3DS FC
4399-0465-6002
Yo, sonic's the gayest ****** around, and all videos of him are full of you ******s sonic furries who get hard at dem blue spinys.

Sonic just gaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay.

YO SONIC IS NOT GAY YOU MUTHA-

oh wait im a bowser main. my bad. afk.

True Blue

Smash Lord
Idk that's how I feel when watching anyone else play as sonic. Though while I am playing Sonic feels slow to me. Lol. Maybe it's a perspective thing your feeling from spectator to player to opponent lol

StarShadow

Smash Rookie

LOOL

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pIoZ1bsILF8

True Blue

Smash Lord
Here are some sets I have from a tourney about a month back. I think. Just want some critique so I can be told what not to do or stop doing less of and what to get better at. Will try to get some matches of recent ones from a tourney I came from recently.

Teams Set: Sonic & Ike vs Toon Link & Fox

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BlkJ7bvSsWI&list=UUO_kz8GcAxBFy7-bY8wcsng&index=13&feature=plcp

Singles Set: Sonic vs Snake

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sK7AN7lqhSQ&list=UUO_kz8GcAxBFy7-bY8wcsng&index=14&feature=plcp

Life

Smash Hero
Watching the Snake set now. I think part of your problem is that you're too scared of grenades. Throw them at him, glide toss in his face, whatever you have to do. (You started doing this at the end of the vid, but it kind of backfired--you are allowed to stand there and hold it a bit before throwing it, you know.)

For instance, the grenade that blows up on Snake's shield at 6:38? Should have approached during that. He has to shield it, so you know he has fewer options to counter a well-timed approach. Also note how low his shield is around that point--he has to save the shield, so apply more pressure because his options are reduced.

Just a couple random thoughts, maybe the others have better to say IDK.

XLR8TION

Smash Ace
NNID
XLR8TION
3DS FC
4399-0465-6002
As for the teams set, I noticed you got punished a lot from using spincharge vs TL...it just doesnt work on TL a majority of the time, so spincharge(or spindash) less vs TL. Ya also got punished for spring dairs a lot too so do that less as well.

Im not a good at critique really, I just noticed that spincharging and spring dair was failing on you a majority of the time lol.

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
Here are some sets I have from a tourney about a month back. I think. Just want some critique so I can be told what not to do or stop doing less of and what to get better at. Will try to get some matches of recent ones from a tourney I came from recently.

Teams Set: Sonic & Ike vs Toon Link & Fox

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BlkJ7bvSsWI&list=UUO_kz8GcAxBFy7-bY8wcsng&index=13&feature=plcp

Singles Set: Sonic vs Snake

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sK7AN7lqhSQ&list=UUO_kz8GcAxBFy7-bY8wcsng&index=14&feature=plcp
I'll start with the teams matches.

Except this particular note isn't even specific to those matches. You have a habit of Spring > Dair. This was just made more clear because you got punished for it a lot more then, and I'm sure you caused some collateral damage to your partner somewhere in there because of it.

This is fine in teams matches when you want to get down and around fast when you need to, but when you're right in the middle of a fight-fest you need to be more aware of your surroundings.

There's also the idea of slowing down. Actually that works out better for Sonic in team matches. Your purpose is not to dazzle the opponents with blistering speed or go in hard. You need to play it safe, go in when the trades will be in your favor, and just basically make it a game of survival.

Sonic is actually one of the better characters to play that role. He's dead center in terms of character weight in this game, his momentum cancel helps get this across, and he's fast. Fast enough that you can send your partner in to get the opponents' attention, and from there you can do one of two things depending on how the situation turns out: do follow-up attacks from your partner's single hits, or break up the opposing team's combos if things are getting hairy.

With that said, you kind of need to revolve around the support role. You can't really charge in because Sonic's presence up front is not the most impressive. Not to mention you can't... do what you were doing and it looks like it was just whatever. Take this into consideration: you were using spin attacks as a form of approach instead of a punish. If the approach fails your put into a more difficult situation which is more complicated to recover from and you take unnecessary damage. This applies in every display but once again it gets more personified in doubles matches. Your partner can't always be in the most convenient spot to cover you you ought to know, especially since few other characters have the same speed or reach to their arsenal.

Now getting more specific into doubles, remember what I said earlier about playing a different game? Try and go in with the idea that you want to create this pace of gameplay where your opponents are forced to play your style. Your role in the team is support, if you happen to get a grab on an opponent for example throw them the opposite way. At higher percents, it takes longer for the opponent to recover from being offstage or whatever, and in some cases your partner has a hold of the other opponent. What you have here now is a potential 2vs1 situation where your job is made easier. Your partner can now play however he needs to, and even if something goes wrong you'll be there to bring the situation back into your favor while the other opponent is nowhere to punish your punish. Understand?

If separation is not your forte, then fancy this: Why not have your opponents close together in the same place? I don't mean being comfortable either, I mean get them literally on top of one another. The opposing team is now stuck with the choice of one having to play defensive while the other tries and push you and/or your partner away to get some room to breathe. No matter how you look at this, even the most coordinated of team players will fin this an inconvenience, but no matter what this always gives you more choices than them. If they both play defensively, then they're stuck there longer. If both try and act hastly, they run the risk of hitting one-another. Even if they do the right thing and have one person try and swat you out, that's still one less person to worry about.

You should know by now that Sonic is good at every kind of situation. The example I just gave in the last paragraph? Pff, Spring up. You'll be invincible, and chances are even if you're not, there aren't too many attacks that reach that far high up in such a quick matter. Sonic can basically negate any bad situation and put a heavier emphasis on an advantageous position in the right hands. Start playing doubles matches with these thoughts in mind and you could find more success.

Alright, now with Snake, this was just depressing to see.

First off, why did the first match have to played on PS1? Snake's attacks are an awkward thing to get around, and the stage constantly shifting doesn't make this any easier to deal with. Avoid going here if you can.

Second, your camping sucks. I'm stuck between calling it excessive and inappropriate. I think I could get away with accusing it of both. In the first match, you're on the other side of the stage on your last stock while he still sits comfortably in his second chucking crap your way. It's one thing to go in when you know it's safe, and it's another to deliberately put yourself in this situation. There was nothing for you to get from this, a Snake worth their weight in salt will just strip you of any grenades you attempt to throw back at him. You will lose in this situation, do something else!

The second match made it clear too that you don't know how to camp either. If you're going to do that, at least know what you're4 doing. You were doing a better job at pressuring him, and the situation was in your favor since you were at mid-low%s and almost a whole stock ahead. Work on both, but if you had to pick one over the other just go in. You don't want to give your opponent any chance to recuperate and think out a strategy that will inevitably beat you.

Also you grab too much. Unless you can read your opponent like a book, you just want to play it as safe as you can with Snake. Be outside his attack range but close enough that if he tries to do anything he'll punish. You have to let him know he isn't free to do whatever he pleases and get away with it. If he is somehow able to do this, then make it an effort to disrupt his flow. You're Sonic, he's Snake, you can go in, get out, and you should have relatively little problems as long as you don't invest too much into your approach.

Allow me to give you an example situation: You start a Spin Charge at mid-range. What's he going to do? He can: Mortor-Dash, pop a grenade, et cetera. This is a good place for you since you should be able to react to anything, and if he's right in doing relatively little you can let the Spin Dash go and Jump cancel when you have to (if not just Vertical Spin Dash Jump to avoid getting beat out altogether). I'm talking about both Spin Dash Jump and Double-Jump cancel. Spin Dash is also much faster than a lot of things, unless the opponent is expecting you to release at any given moment it's impossible to punish on reaction.

By the way, this is just one way to approach. Find other ways, as long as they don't make you commit. Have you ever thought about Spinshot Bair? Yeah sure they can pop a grenade and your foot might tap it, but that's one case. You could do nothing and just drop down with a feint, you could Drop a Spring on his head maybe, you could go into an ASC even if you won't have a second jump, it just depends on what the opponent does.

too long semi dash colon did not read colon

Explore some new stuff and don't subject yourself to doing just a few things. Sonic isn't meant to be played in a linear manner. You're not exposing his full potential otherwise. Work on making what you do count as well, find the balance of true pressure and limitless options.

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r7G7d8gtsiY
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UKAiNi6hWng

My set with Jarvitz, thanks Seagull. Self critiquing in the comments, but I need to learn to do it in real time.
Double post because I can, shut up.

Alright, so let me have a look...

InCom needs a fix-up, yes?

First match against Zero Suit Boobies.

Your movements seems... jerky. Why is this? Are you uncomfortable with the matchup? Not only that, but they seem inconsistent and unwarranted. I could point out a few instances where you did something for no immediately explicit reason, but this appears to be apparent throughout this match. I can however comment on how you would roll in what was usually the opposite direction even though you had a punish opportunity.

I know Sonic's rolls are fast, but why not try sitting in your shield for a little bit longer? I could say you have more initiative to do this too since Zero Suit's grab is kind of... silly. Besides, what's the worst that will happen? You get thrown, you take some damage, you get put in a slightly unfavorable situation. Nothing you can't really recover from or work your way around am I right to say this? What I'm saying is that you might be able to get some shieldgrabs, or if your limbs won't reach you can always jump aerial. Besides all this, Sonic's faster on his feet than he somersaulting.

Uhm... when you have your opponent killed, try not to stay in one place. Get them to waste their invulnerability. I dunno, plant a Spring, run around the stage from one side to the other or back, Spring Jump, Jump > Spinshot or Jump cancel, ledgehog, just... basically don't give 'em a free hit. Makes the nurse's job harder you see. :/

On that note, you should learn your opponents area of attack. Zero Suit has a particularly huge range of attack. Nevermind if they whiff or if you block, that would be a better case scenario, in order to put the situation into your favor in the first place you have to be aware of how to do it. In order words, stop blocking with your face and respect your opponent. Respect =/= fear FYI.

Pressure~! I've already said that your movements are erratic but you shouldn't be giving your opponent freebies. If you got your opponent off the stage you usually let them back on without any attempts to edgeguard them or punish them from getting up the ledge. You arr Sonic, you can come back from even the most committed attempts of edgeguard. But on that note, just put enough pressure that the situation at worst becomes neutral. Even if Sonic is "all that," there's no need to make it harder for yourself should it come to that, yes?

Onto Robotic Operating Buddy.

Oh my.

I think this match gets my point across. You need to pick select maneuvers, not just whatever you feel like. Dair? DSmash. Roll? FSmash. Committed recovery? USmash. Camp too far and too long in one place? Gyro toy. Uhm... The list goes on I'm sure you know.

How about this instead: R.O.B. has a tall hurtbox with some nice blindspots for you to work with. Why not get him low in the air so that you can juggle him and stuff? How about going in fast or at an angle? Will you need for me to give you a list or do you see what I mean?

Actually, I think the diagnosis I gave earlier still very much applies to this match. You can go in fast and fast out and be moreorless alright. The only difference is R.O.B. has a decent grab this time around so just be aware of that. If you run up to their face they can spotdodge, dsmash, grab, all that good stuff. It's up to you to know what they do and punish afterwards. That'sj ust one example too, wonder what'll happen if you stopped at just DSmash/jab range... Maybe a running grab but yeah, options, options, options. That's it I s'pose.

Okay?

:093:

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
I'm tired, was in first semester college and had to focus on that as my main priorit, I like Touhou/Reisen more than Brawl and/or Sonic at this point and always forevermore, I missed them, potential MU inexperience johns, tired of people yelling at me for offering criticism when I'm in no position to give any assistance as that's what this really, considering I'm also not really getting anything out of this myself (I'm not really gonna gripe about this unpaid hobby though), and-

Shut up.

D=<

None of them in any particular order other than the Touhou tidbits.

Please post the links again if you really want for me to look at them if you're still looking for it and the matches aren't too old, or if you get new matches. I'll look at them first thing Christmas day after I get done being forced to open my presents that day. I'm very tired right now so I can't really be bothered to look back in this thread or the social or wherever it was posted and quote it there. Gimme a more up to date post so I won't have to go searching and I promise I'll have something then.

I'm going to sleep.

You may want to try to get the links up tomorrow too ASAP, if you can, et cetera. I'm probably going to attempt to take care of some unfinished business with the guides around here, before I get suckered into both more Touhou and/or the book on human sexuality I'm suppose to be getting as a present.

BSP

Smash Legend
stuff + a lil rage
Well....

and http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QpAcxK_5QRw&feature=related

Only worried about vs. Wario really; and ignore the luigi match of course

I've already learned to stop charging smashes when he's on the ledge (wtf was i thinking...), so just cover everything else

And watching those vids once again, I still don't know why I don't just spring as soon as I'm hit at low %. I feel the need to spindash for some reason, and that just gets me grabbed.

Edit: ugh, it's so painful watching people alive at 180%. If only we had Ness' Bthrow or a decent KO move....we'd wreck this game. Well, as long as MK is gone.

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
Alright.

First thing you need to work on, don't ever use that "twi" tag ever again. I hate that tag all because it reminds me of one character I hate so much with all of my being I can't even begin to describe the magnitude of it.

Now onto other serious business... try not to do UTilts and stuff like that. I know the idea may be that you wanna anti-air him since the fatso is up there a grand majority of the time, but he's just simply too mobile and TBH I've had mixed success with this move. He'll airdodge through it and hit you with something hard I'm sure. It may be good on platforms or once you've figured out a spot he's going to land in, but that's only after he's exhausted everything else and has gotten a little predictable you see. Keep using Fairs and Bairs to cover yourself, that was working just fine... even though the Bair can stick a limb for him to get but it doesn't come back too much to bite you in the butt.

Something about the windmill part is "off," for lack of better wording... I'll just throw out my speculations just so you can build upon them yourself.

He knew to always tech whenever you tried to get a jab lock set-up, or even a random off the side kill. Don't you think by then it would've been more productive to punish the tech instead of waiting for him to mess it up? After a while you could wager that he really wasn't and you could just get more damage trying for a better punish. Really he wasn't going to give you the chance and he was just disrespecting your desperate attempts at it so yeah, make him pay why not?

Oh yeah, about the grabs, I think I have a way for you to land them if you so wish to do so.

How often do you shield-cancel your ASCs? Again I understand Wario isn't on the ground all that often, but you did manage to get it afterall. It's just it wouldn't work as much because yeah the shield tends to be fresh for obvious reasons. Consider that if you will.

Speaking of ASC, how often do you use Spin Dash Roll to punish landings? I'll have you know that in every landing there's always two frames of lag people have to recover from. Four if it's a fastfall. This would explain why so many attacks hit when people are just landing or shields tend to "not come out" when someone tries to defend against what was an "obvious" punish. Give it a try, he may be an "airhoe" (hehe), but he can't stay up there forever, and Spin Dash Roll is fast. Obviously though this has to be with Spin Charge, if anybody got hit by a Direct Spin Dash Spin Dash Roll I think they need to like reconsider everything in life or something. You've probably figured it's also gotta be semi-far away too, it won't work nearly as well if they're close since Spin Charge doesn't have the same invincibility like Spin Dash does.

Got that? Spin Charge for mid-long punish, Spin Dash for camping and retreating.

Moving on~.

Don't jump into bikes. That's why I gave that whole explanation above.

Uhm, yeah... Don't jump so fast OoS if Wario just hits you with a tire, unless your shield is like low or something. That's why you lost your last stock, trying to punish something you can't (tire throw). If you really need a quick albeit desperate breakaway try Spring Jumping. In this case though, your shield was good and healthy, the worst that would've happened to you was a grab or a bite, instead was a mistake that cost you the match.

Uhm, yeah, don't land with Nair, or at least be careful when the character has a small hitbox. If you really have to land with something, make it Fair or Bair. Fair's laggy but hey, sometimes you get away with it. Not all the time, but at least you would've done some minor chip damage damage instead of giving him the perfect DSmash set-up... eh~...

Meh, nothing much to commentate on Diddy. If I didn't know better, he was toying with you at this point. If that's the case, let's improve on this alright? I know you can do better and this kind of disrespect isn't something a person like you should have to put up with.

Anyway let's see, this last match from this video... Alright, about that U-Throw... Don't fall for it. It's probably Wario's worst throw in terms of positioning, possibly damage (I don't know), and there's really only one reason they'd use that. Bait. It's either he wants to give you the clap, FSmash landing punish, or a fart if applicable. You having Daired right after that Spring leaves me asking why he didn't just go in right there. I suppose that's what I would be getting into next. Until then, don't do something like that again anytime soon please. That was just bad and you giving him that opportunity was even worse. If you're gonna Spring, mix up your landing at least. I don't care if it means a delayed Dair. In fact, that sometimes catches people off guard. That might've caught him off his rhythm, you see what I mean? But that's just the Spring, you still had your double jump you could've used for something else.

This next part I'll admit I'm guilty of too. You made some unfortunate recovery choices that he kind of had in mind himself, but the whole reason that stock was lost was because you decided to momentum cancel a forward throw... that could not have killed you outright even if you had the worst possible DI. You could've recovered high and avoided that whole situation altogether but instead your second jump gets siphoned and you're forced to recover in the perfect position for any punish. Don't just autopilot this crap, think about what you want to do. Sometimes it's good to recover high to avoid this whole thing, sometimes you have to recover low because he's up there waiting for you. Going right in the middle was basically like saying "please kill me." Again I realize you couldn't have done anything else, but the whole fiasco before was sort of your fault...

And yeah, stay Sonic, derp.

Nothing else I can say, I've pointed out everything that did you in, and you already figured that you need to stop charging smash attacks at the ledge... Or anywhere to begin with. It's Wario, you won't hit with them unless he messes up, which can't be too likely.

But if you want me to put it in a few words, stop charging smash attacks so much, stop UTilting so much, stop grabbing OoS on reaction, think more about how you want to move, and you should play a lot more solidly.

Yo though...

... Don't give up.

I'm a bit guilty for letting this slip by so much to be honest.

If it's any excuse, I really was busy with my first college semester, and I wanted to make sure I knew the due process and that it would be a good first semester, especially because I had a Psychology 101 class, which is going to be my major, not to mention the professor had a good impact on me and I wanted to make sure I would make her proud to be in pursuit of the same study. I didn't really have the motivation or time to sit down and hang out with you guys like I used to in high school. I think I learned a lot though, more about myself and the problems that plague this world. Someday I hope to contribute answers. As lovely as playing games the rest of my life would be, I would not be happy to know that people around me are miserable.

And I'll be honest, I've lost a lot of motivation to keep playing this game. It just hit me that my mother is that type of parent who will cling to me for as long as she can, which means no traveling OoS except on special occasions, and it's depressing when you compare yourself to a 16 year old kid who has more freedom than you (You guys know him as FOW). I don't even keep with my stupid "10 o' clock curfew" because it's ridiculous and I'm always home late on that note. Around eleven to midnight is usually when I arrive back at the house. Mother certainly doesn't appreciate it but I could be more of a delinquent, this i know for sure.

So yeah, what's the point in getting better when I only have local competition, right? We've all become good friends as well, so we tend to play other games as well. And yeah, now that we've begun to build a local Hisoutensoku community it's just gotten worse. I enjoy playing that game more and I enjoy the particular character I play in that game moreso than Sonic. What does childhood mean to me anymore herp-derp.

But anyways my problems shouldn't stop me from doing what I love. Helping others is nice afterall. I apologize though, I've been so busy and slipping. I've read your testimonies and pleas for help but I couldn't at the time. FYI though once the spring semester starts again you're gonna wanna hit me up on AIM if you want to get a hold of me, I can't be here as much as I used to.

I really hope any of what I says help. Just keep at it though. I promise that if you got rid of some silly habits you have you'd do much better. The only reason Sonics lose the Wario MU I feel is because they don't respect the character or the player. I'm in no position to say any of that though since I am not the best at the MU nor do I have anybody to play the MU with, but I've learned from watching others and the little time I did have someone else to play with. Take it with a grain of salt is all I'm saying, nothing helps more than realizing what your falling short of. That can be realized through playing a lot and having that insightful moment.

BSP

Smash Legend
Alright.

First thing you need to work on, don't ever use that "twi" tag ever again. I hate that tag all because it reminds me of one character I hate so much with all of my being I can't even begin to describe the magnitude of it.
You hate Twilight Sparkle? >.>

Now onto other serious business... try not to do UTilts and stuff like that. I know the idea may be that you wanna anti-air him since the fatso is up there a grand majority of the time, but he's just simply too mobile and TBH I've had mixed success with this move. He'll airdodge through it and hit you with something hard I'm sure. It may be good on platforms or once you've figured out a spot he's going to land in, but that's only after he's exhausted everything else and has gotten a little predictable you see. Keep using Fairs and Bairs to cover yourself, that was working just fine... even though the Bair can stick a limb for him to get but it doesn't come back too much to bite you in the butt.
Ok, I agree. Utilt's super slow and horizontal range is balls, which is really a problem considering how fast wario moves in that department. I'll stick with the Fairs and Bairs unless he's on a platform.

windmill stuff
Uh, didn't think about that. I guess I should just do that next time. It's these little things that make the difference.

Oh yeah, about the grabs, I think I have a way for you to land them if you so wish to do so.

How often do you shield-cancel your ASCs? Again I understand Wario isn't on the ground all that often, but you did manage to get it afterall. It's just it wouldn't work as much because yeah the shield tends to be fresh for obvious reasons. Consider that if you will.
Not usually, I just DJ cancel them usually, but I'll try to throw in Shield cancels. I figure the more I mix it up, the better.

Speaking of ASC, how often do you use Spin Dash Roll to punish landings? I'll have you know that in every landing there's always two frames of lag people have to recover from. Four if it's a fastfall. This would explain why so many attacks hit when people are just landing or shields tend to "not come out" when someone tries to defend against what was an "obvious" punish. Give it a try, he may be an "airhoe" (hehe), but he can't stay up there forever, and Spin Dash Roll is fast. Obviously though this has to be with Spin Charge, if anybody got hit by a Direct Spin Dash Spin Dash Roll I think they need to like reconsider everything in life or something. You've probably figured it's also gotta be semi-far away too, it won't work nearly as well if they're close since Spin Charge doesn't have the same invincibility like Spin Dash does.
I usually don't SDR vs. Wario ever, or at least recently, I've been trying to avoid it. However, as Tesh pointed out, I used it in stupid ways, and that's why it didn't work/ I got punished hard. I'll try to mix it in different so it's not as predictable and I can get % from his landings.

Don't jump into bikes.
Yeah, that was silly.

Uhm, yeah... Don't jump so fast OoS if Wario just hits you with a tire, unless your shield is like low or something.
K.

Uhm, yeah, don't land with Nair, or at least be careful when the character has a small hitbox. If you really have to land with something, make it Fair or Bair. Fair's laggy but hey, sometimes you get away with it. Not all the time, but at least you would've done some minor chip damage damage instead of giving him the perfect DSmash set-up... eh~...
I usually land with nair for shield pushback. It's fine in most situations, but bair is generally better for that.

Meh, nothing much to commentate on Diddy. If I didn't know better, he was toying with you at this point. If that's the case, let's improve on this alright? I know you can do better and this kind of disrespect isn't something a person like you should have to put up with.
I don't think he was trolling. He was starting to go Diddy vs. Lee some, and he probably just wanted some tournament experience in a match where he knew he wouldn't get rofl-stomped.

don't fall for uthrow baits, don't be robotic with spring dair
got it

This next part I'll admit I'm guilty of too. You made some unfortunate recovery choices that he kind of had in mind himself, but the whole reason that stock was lost was because you decided to momentum cancel a forward throw... that could not have killed you outright even if you had the worst possible DI. You could've recovered high and avoided that whole situation altogether but instead your second jump gets siphoned and you're forced to recover in the perfect position for any punish. Don't just autopilot this crap, think about what you want to do. Sometimes it's good to recover high to avoid this whole thing, sometimes you have to recover low because he's up there waiting for you. Going right in the middle was basically like saying "please kill me." Again I realize you couldn't have done anything else, but the whole fiasco before was sort of your fault...
Yeah, I realized this too. I really need to consider risk vs. reward and my recovery and just go high sometimes. You don't know how badly I wish we could B reverse a move >.>

Yo though...

... Don't give up.
I don't plan to

other stuff
:c

Oh, well if you have lots of stuff going on, that's cool. Lots of people are losing interest with brawl >.> If you're ever on SWF though, I'd appreciate advice.

thanks.

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
You hate Twilight Sparkle? >.>

Yeah, I realized this too. I really need to consider risk vs. reward and my recovery and just go high sometimes. You don't know how badly I wish we could B reverse a move >.>
Well, I'm indifferent to ponies, but the tag reminds me of something far worse.

Just don't use it dammit. Guaranteed increase in skill. /semi-sarcasm.

Anyways for what it's worth, you can b-reverse Homing Attack. It actually changes the direction Sonic is facing. It's hard to notice and even more difficult to properly apply but that's something. I'm not going to go into semantics about this, but Sonic has different tracking properties according to which way he's facing relative to where his opponent is, and if no one is there it obviously changes the way Sonic falls.

Don't be like me though and end up side-bing to your death though.

B.A.M.

Smash Lord
NNID
Bambatta
Kinzer do you know the exact changes on HA when hes turned around besides b reversing it for recovery?

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
reduced lock on range and a different non-locked release angle, obviously.

Thats about it. if im understanding your question correctly.

True Blue

Smash Lord
Oh ok lol. I should of figured, but still had to ask.
Though B Reverse for homing attack. I don't think I quite got that. Cause is it not when you B-Reverse you hit B and then input the direction after the B is pressed? Though with homing attack it is kinda reverse. Or at least the way I have been thinking about it. Cause I have to press a direction and then B and when homing attack goes off I will be facing the direction I input before pressing B. Is that B-Reversing Sonic's Homing Attack? Or is that just doing something completely different.
Unless I just didn't have the right understanding of B-Reversing all together lol.

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
hitting the direction before pressing b = b turnaround
effect: changes the direction you are facing when you perform the action.

hitting the direction AFTER pressing b = b reverse
effect: changes the direction you are facing AND reverses your drifting momentum in the air, when you perform the action.

the available time you have to input a b turn around is much more lenient than the time you have to input a b reverse.

because of this, its much more difficult to perform a b reverse with homing attack and give you the EXACT same result since homing attack erases and over writes all air drifting momentum.

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
hitting the direction before pressing b = b turnaround
effect: changes the direction you are facing when you perform the action.

hitting the direction AFTER pressing b = b reverse
effect: changes the direction you are facing AND reverses your drifting momentum in the air, when you perform the action.

the available time you have to input a b turn around is much more lenient than the time you have to input a b reverse.

because of this, its much more difficult to perform a b reverse with homing attack and give you the EXACT same result since homing attack erases and over writes all air drifting momentum.
That's a B-Reverse?

I'm not saying you're wrong or anything though. Hell, even I'm not sure anymore. I just thought of a B-reverse as charging the way you face with a special-attack, kind of like how D3 has his swallow and stuff like that.

The way I do it is (A direction) > B. Trying to do anything either results in a Spin Dash or a regular Homing Attack for me.

and it's not like I can be bothered to learn the input for a wavebounce since Sonic can't do it.

... Though perhaps it'd be good for me to learn the terminology. The Smash Lab had released something like this, and even I tried to contribute a bit, there's no excuse for me to not know.

Oh okay. Makes sense then. Lol thought I was going crazy and thought Sonic was just completely weird all together.
I suppose if you understand, then we're good...

... I'm still confused though...

... BTW Sonic is weird. Don't know what gave you the impression that he wasn't.

BTW does anybody care if I post some doubles matches I had with Z despite how old they are? Ankoku was kind enough to record and upload them even though I've really just kinda-

It'd be a cool spectacle I guess. Not really looking for critique ATM.

True Blue

Smash Lord
I would like to see them! It's always fun to see matches of good sonics.

Makes me wish I could record replays right now to upload but my computer is being slow and makes the video lag and desync. Sad face. Lol

BSP

Smash Legend
If you want to know if you're B reversing, pick mario, start drifting in the air, and then hit B (fireball) -> other direction. Mario should completely shift his momentum to the opposite direction while turning around and shooting a fireball.

Sonic with that would be really good since our top air speed is good, but our air acceleration is pretty terrible.

So yeah, HA doesn't help that much since it stops you, but yes, we can at least turn around if need be. However, it sends us in the other direction

>_<

Well, I'm indifferent to ponies, but the tag reminds me of something far worse.

Just don't use it dammit. Guaranteed increase in skill. /semi-sarcasm.
:rolleyes:

Top Bottom