• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Winning Steak Cinemas: Video Archive & Criticism Thread Updated

Blapius

Smash Apprentice
NNID
blapius
3DS FC
1435-6036-1685
Hey Blap! where ya been? nice avatar BTW..
1) not embarrassing questions. it is a quick dashdance. But, this one is kinda different. Sonic ran, then stopped, then ran again. it has a kind of canceling effect, and you can immediately run in the opposite direction.

2) That has nothing to do with grinding. grinding is when you dash, then stop. when Sonic is in his sliding, you tilt the control stick forward, and then you will slide across the ground, and Sonic will look like he is sliding. That is grinding. Like I said earlier, it is a quick dashdance, but he ran towards the opponent instead of continuing the dashdance.

3) Baring OoS input? i use the Classic controller, so i use X to shorthop, then Fastfall a Bair. pretty common actually. But usually, if you want to fastfall, jump, put in the input for the bair, and while Sonic is turning around, then quickly press down on the control stick. It takes some practice...

Oh, and lastly, keep at it with Sonic. you can only go up from here on out.
Thanks on the avatar props, SM5. To answer your question about my absence, I've been working hard in my last year of college, so Brawl's been taking a backseat to my academic obligations—thesis, exit courses, all that good stuff—and other creative endeavors. I still play weeklies with my friends, but don't have the time to participate in tournaments quite yet. To be honest, I am a little surprised anyone realized I was gone . . . but that's beside the point.

So I tried adding some of that dashdancing into my game this past weekend to great success; it certainly is a reliable way to change up the approach and punishing game. I also found myself coming closer to consistently performing OoS Bairs with some fastfalling, which was nice. It really feels like things are coming together.

However, I'm still at a loss with regard to my second inquiry. Did you watch the clip in question from Kojin's "Shatter the Grounds"? The reason I ask is because the animation he does is longer and looks different than that in the first clip of a dashdance grab. Allow me to attempt to find better examples of what I mean from some Espy matches.

0:22, 1:10, 2:07-10 in http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xt6FeMg_rgw
0:07 in http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8aNvWAd_06U
2:57, 3:02 in http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ibsHsCIRVZE

Maybe I'm not looking at these clips right, but they don't resemble the shorter dashdances that I've been doing. Instead, they are going much further, and sometimes seemingly out of a "full dash." An insight into this?

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
i was actually wondering about that too,

PUFFY AND MALCOM ARE HOLDING TECHS OUT ON US!!!

also, i think that somebody said that he was going into the full run than stoping and running the other way after the really shortschreech animation.
im also tempted to think its a DDP or dashdance pivot. which is a foxtrot, which puts sonic into his grind animation, and than starting another dash and dashdancing it one time to run the other way tho.

But its looks way too fast and seamless to be either one of those. so i think puffy is holding out on us as far as techs are concerned.

Espy Rose

Dumb horse.
NNID
EspyRose
I'll put up a tech vid soon of me just fooling around with what I know about Sonic's dash.
It's not as difficult as you think it looks. Infact, it's very basic when it comes to techs, and it's not new.

Blapius

Smash Apprentice
NNID
blapius
3DS FC
1435-6036-1685
i was actually wondering about that too,

PUFFY AND MALCOM ARE HOLDING TECHS OUT ON US!!!

also, i think that somebody said that he was going into the full run than stoping and running the other way after the really shortschreech animation.
im also tempted to think its a DDP or dashdance pivot. which is a foxtrot, which puts sonic into his grind animation, and than starting another dash and dashdancing it one time to run the other way tho.

But its looks way too fast and seamless to be either one of those. so i think puffy is holding out on us as far as techs are concerned.
Aha, I knew I wasn't imagining things! I was pretty sure it had something to do with either foxtrotting or grinding, mainly because in nearly all examples I've seen of this, Sonic goes into his wide stance—as in the end of a foxtrot/start of a grind—then all of a sudden turns around.

I'll put up a tech vid soon of me just fooling around with what I know about Sonic's dash.
It's not as difficult as you think it looks. Infact, it's very basic when it comes to techs, and it's not new.
I'd really appreciate it, Espy. The tech definitely looks to confuse your opponents, even if for a split second. And with your Sonic, that's all it seems to take.

Trillion

Smash Ace
Please do make that vid Espy. I've been watching you and Malcolm and trying to figure out some of that stuff. You guys are really good with your dashing mindgames and i feel like that is the next major step that I need to make to improve my game. I've been trying some dashing to reverse spin dashes and dash dancing to a cancelled spin dash and both have really been paying off for me.
I was actually wanting to make a vid soon of just some weird stuff that I was messing around with. They all have to do with ledges and grounded spring combos. I think some of them could prove to be rather useful, while others may take someone else to take what I have and find a way to make them more useful. I hope to make it sometime next week. Right now my laptop is being repaired (stupid power jack).

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208

JMan8891

Halfrican-American
If anyone read this thread when it was new, i pointed it out long ago...

Puff, adding/comments on my last matches posted??

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
I was seriously getting worried until that last stock; you got gimped and SD'd in the same game ... but that last stock completely made up for it. good one =0
I know, the first SD was a total WTF moment, becuase I had a spring...inputted the command...nothing happened >_>

That gimp on me was pure sex though...even though it was ****, it was sweet...and I made up for it only the last stock anyway with my ****, lol

EDIT: Thanks JMan :D

:093:

Espy Rose

Dumb horse.
NNID
EspyRose
Updated with the Low Tier Heroes videos and the Jumpman matches.

My little "screw around with Sonic's dash" video is in the editing process (lots of crap to wade through, as well as several failed attempts).

I'm keeping the tripping in though. I trip WAY too often.

Napilopez

Smash Lord
I'm pretty sure thats just dash dance pivots... I've been working on them alot recently since I started playing Deoxys' MK.

What I realized is that I think there are better, speedier ways to use dash dance pivots that espy and malcom make use of, perhaps simply out of intuition. I too wondered how they could do the DDPs so smoothly and quickly, but I seem to have gotten it down.

Lets see how I can explain this. I don't even remember if this is the right explanation XD. Anyways, lets say you wanna perform two foxtrots. You press right, and then you press right again. Now what you will notice, is that if you press right for the second time on the analog stick too quickly, Sonic will either not perform the second foxtrot, or go into a run.

Now lets say you wanna dash dance pivot going from left to right and then returning towards the left. The input is right on the analog stick, right again, then really quickly hit the opposite direction. Same problem. I noticed is that if I tried to do it too quickly, sonic would just go into the grind or into a run, or do a turnaround, but not a DDP. If I slow it down, it works, but its not quite as quick or smooth as when Espy does it.

What I came to notice is that before I perform the second "right" input, the one that actually starts the DDP, I should allow the analog stick to return back to neutral. This seems to negate the little delay you have to wait before pressing right again to initiate the second dash dance. Its kinda hard to explain, but I've been able to pivot near as quickly or as quickly as espy does, so yea.

Smaller flicks for the second right input rather than smashing the control stick seem to work better for me as well. This allow for less time before the analog stick can return to a neutral position again.

I hope that made at least a bit of sense.

Also, nice steak cammm

JayBee

Smash Champion
NNID
jamesbrownjrva
Thanks on the avatar props, SM5. To answer your question about my absence, I've been working hard in my last year of college, so Brawl's been taking a backseat to my academic obligations—thesis, exit courses, all that good stuff—and other creative endeavors. I still play weeklies with my friends, but don't have the time to participate in tournaments quite yet. To be honest, I am a little surprised anyone realized I was gone . . . but that's beside the point.

So I tried adding some of that dashdancing into my game this past weekend to great success; it certainly is a reliable way to change up the approach and punishing game. I also found myself coming closer to consistently performing OoS Bairs with some fastfalling, which was nice. It really feels like things are coming together.

However, I'm still at a loss with regard to my second inquiry. Did you watch the clip in question from Kojin's "Shatter the Grounds"? The reason I ask is because the animation he does is longer and looks different than that in the first clip of a dashdance grab. Allow me to attempt to find better examples of what I mean from some Espy matches.

0:22, 1:10, 2:07-10 in http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xt6FeMg_rgw
0:07 in http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8aNvWAd_06U
2:57, 3:02 in http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ibsHsCIRVZE

Maybe I'm not looking at these clips right, but they don't resemble the shorter dashdances that I've been doing. Instead, they are going much further, and sometimes seemingly out of a "full dash." An insight into this?

? i thought people knew about this. sonic's slide is mad long so he can delay it as long as he can... DDP is sick guys. sonic becomes melee, even for only a second... :)

Espy Rose

Dumb horse.
NNID
EspyRose
I REALLY hate Windows Movie Maker.

Also, the material got all funky and the audio died halfway through. It sounded hilarious though, like if Final D's soundtrack was on those 70's music records, and the needle was thrown off balance.

It sounded fantastically lulzy.

Other than some lazy sonic music thrown in for entertainment (it doesn't play all the way, I think about 10 seconds are left. If you don't like it, play your own music), I didn't bother with editing because WMM was being amazingly homosexual.

I'll probably either add in those messages on the video on Youtube, or just note what I'm attempting at times.

Oh, and lulz moments at the end too:

1. Boxobair practice
2. Retreating fair looks lulzy, no matter how many times I do it.
3. Running at the edge and going nowhere :p
4. "Doop Walking" XD
5. 9 Trips. 0_o

It should be up by tomorrow afternoon. I'm going to start uploading it sometime in the next 30 minutes when MM finishes making it into an avi.

Anthinus

Smash Journeyman
Whoa! Looks like I got a big blue ribbon on my steak after all! (That winning steak stuff made me laugh like crazy... incredible stuff really...).

I'm back, so I'll see you around guys!

Catt

Smash Apprentice
I have a replay against a Marth(unfortunately just a lv9 cpu) where in the first few seconds on my first move I Aerial Spin Charge him from 0% - 33% in ONE ASC. It was a perfect ASC. It was just too sexy not to mention.
Hopefully I'll be able to post the vid, the whole thing was good, but the first 5 seconds or so were what was really great.

I just remembered that I also DACUS spiked a Toon Link at Smashville, then stage spiked him for the kill.
I'd like to post that as well.

Kalm

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Unibias
3DS FC
1650-2449-3447
FYI lvl 9 computer Marth is about the same as good human Marths. Marth is dumb like that.

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
9...HOURS?

What kind of internet connection do you have Puffy? Dial up??

infomon

Smash Scientist
I just remembered that I also DACUS spiked a Toon Link at Smashville, then stage spiked him for the kill.
I'd like to post that as well.
lol I has one of those: http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=kpizkWlSFek

The ASC thing sounds good, I'd be interested to see how to space an ASC properly for 33%.

FYI lvl 9 computer Marth is about the same as good human Marths. Marth is dumb like that.
Nooooooo way, dude..... just nowai :(
CPU marths are good, but there are too many good marths in my area :urg:

Edit:
**** Youtube.

9 hours...and it still hasn't uploaded...

;_;
Dude, it's probably not uploading. There's a .... bug.... which sometimes happen to me, where it just stops uploading the video but you can't tell because it's still got the spinny "oh look I'm uploading" thing.... altho it depends on your browser and stuff. Like do you see a progressbar? idk but mebbe you should just retry uploading.

Espy Rose

Dumb horse.
NNID
EspyRose
Cable connection Camalange.

And I canceled it and and uploading in on the beta version of the new uploader.
However, it ****ed up again, so I'm gonna try right now.

It's total bull****, I swear.

Espy Rose

Dumb horse.
NNID
EspyRose
I really want to. It won't upload on the beta version...
I'll try that out.

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
Infzy never got that thing I sent him! :(

Nah it's cool man, I know how lazy I've been recently, I vanished from SWF for like antoher day or two just playing more DotA.

The Jigglypuff/PT/T.Link write-ups STILL have to be updated by me... :(

Where is Greens man, I thought he got back from Samoa. :/

Espy Rose

Dumb horse.
NNID
EspyRose
I updated again. Nothing much this time except for the Dash Demo I made, and I also added that Double UpB video from long ago.

They're both in the Misc. sections.

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
That's it.

/Sonic boards.

We've completed our mission, all that is left to do is for Espy to update that picture into the OP, and we're out of here.

Napilopez

Smash Lord
Steak.

Literally.

Also, spacing ASCs for 30 Percent isn't too hard. We just don't really do it consciously. Usually I believe you need to release it pretty low, so that you hit with ASC Hit 1+2>SDR Hit. Well, thats only about 28 percent, but still.

EDIT:

Just saw your dash vid steakamajigg Espy, well done(lolz, steak puns). I had no clue about the dash momentum stuff. Thnx! XD

Blapius

Smash Apprentice
NNID
blapius
3DS FC
1435-6036-1685
Cirque du Sonique

One main point of this video was to provide some examples of the SAFASDSC (Spinshot -> About-Face Aerial Spin Dash -> Shield Cancel -> Grab). Yes, the acronym is absurdly long; that's sort of the point.

Notes:
0:03 - SAFASDSCG in action on an overshot
0:08 - SAFASDSC-Roll
0:12 - Moving platform + grounded spring = lulz
0:43 - Spinshot -> Gyro catch
0:55 - Falco's Phantasm caught by Sonic's USmash
0:59 - Spinshot can get you through projectiles
1:04 - Perfect SAFASDSCG situation

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
Interesting video Blap.

I've been messing around with the Spinshot > Reverse SideB cancel myself, but I'm really liking all the different things that we can do with Spinshot rather than just Bair, lol.

Definitely something we should look into :D

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
lol, you made your tag Steak

<3