• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The "What Are You Playing Now" Thread

Sieg

Smash Champion
Tooie has the washing machine right?

Yeah, whichever game had the god**** washing Machine.

Darkwing SykeDuk

Smash Dankist
get live so we can play res evil together daaave alice springs people dun like it T_T

playing too much tekken, and trying to finish tales of vesperia but keep playing other games instead...

Ant1

Smash Ace
Kazooie has a better soundtrack. The only good track in tooie is grunty industries/weldar's theme.
But tooie is better overall.

In kazooie i hated clankers cavern so much, i think i got up to mad monster mansion without have been to clankers cavern yet.

Nova

Banned via Warnings
Meh, Rusty Bucket Bay always bugged me more than Clankers (especially the 100 notes). XBLA version made the level so much easier though, made me realise I enjoyed hating it.

Though it's a later level, makes sense it's more annoying. I found it the hardest in the whole game though on the N64.

EverAlert

Smash Master
NNID
EVAL89
3DS FC
2664-2214-3431
Changing old masterpieces in ANY WAY annoys me.

Also Rusty Bucket was my favourite Kazooie level. Double hate.

unreon

Smash Ace
I have an exam tomorrow, so naturally I'm playing Mirror's Edge instead.

The game has a natural flow and rhythm that is so satisfying.

I would kill to have a Final Fantasy VII remake in the light of Advent Children.

TakFR

Smash Lord
NNID
TakAE86
Mirror's Edge is amazing, I love the visual style they use in it <3

Playing Torchwood and Little Big Planet at the moment. Torchwood is fuuuuuunnnn and Little Big Planet is good, but only for multi and online =)

Sieg

Smash Champion
I have an exam tomorrow, so naturally I'm playing Mirror's Edge instead.

The game has a natural flow and rhythm that is so satisfying.

I would kill to have a Final Fantasy VII remake in the light of Advent Children.
Should just make an Advent Children game.

Nova

Banned via Warnings
omg they changed stuff in the xbla version?

>=(
Well the main "big" (and only change I can think of) is the Note High Scores. In the N64 version you had to get all 100 notes with 1 life for it to count as 100; on the XBLA version the notes just carry over so that once they're picked up they just stick to you no matter how many times you die or get game over. It made Rusty Bucket Bay and Click Clock Wood pretty easy. I think the same sort of thing happened with the Jinjo's as well.

Also Rusty Bucket was my favourite Kazooie level. Double hate.
Freezy Peak ftw. Grunty's Furnace Fun was like the best idea ever as well.

Dedu

Smash Lord
Also Rusty Bucket was my favourite Kazooie level.
Music is the best part of that level. Everything else was a b**tch.
on the XBLA version the notes just carry over so that once they're picked up they just stick to you no matter how many times you die or get game over. It made Rusty Bucket Bay and Click Clock Wood pretty easy
XLBA Version - WTF? Oh man's that's very gay. The whole losing your life right before you get the last few notes in those levels are what made the challenge in BK. Especially Rusty Bucket Bay (motor room) and Click Clock Wood (top branches in the spring/summer).

What have games become these days... No wonder they're too easy. *FACEPALM*

Should just make an Advent Children game.
I wants one too... But that's like saying Nintendo should do a remake of Ocarina of Time using the graphical quality of Twilight Princess.

Nixernator

Smash Ace
Well the main "big" (and only change I can think of) is the Note High Scores. In the N64 version you had to get all 100 notes with 1 life for it to count as 100; on the XBLA version the notes just carry over so that once they're picked up they just stick to you no matter how many times you die or get game over. It made Rusty Bucket Bay and Click Clock Wood pretty easy. I think the same sort of thing happened with the Jinjo's as well.

Freezy Peak ftw. Grunty's Furnace Fun was like the best idea ever as well.
Doesn't that kinda defeat the challenge of getting 100 notes in all levels? (on that topic I never did end up getting 100 in Click Clock, I gave up once I got em on Rusty bucket)

Weren't they going to remake FFVII on PS3 anyway? Or was I thinking of something else...
And did anyone else's FFVII crash in cosmos crater? I can't play past it and it makes me sadface. =(

unreon

Smash Ace
I wants one too... But that's like saying Nintendo should do a remake of Ocarina of Time using the graphical quality of Twilight Princess.
They should. And Nix, yes they were going to make one. They won't admit it, but they've been batting the idea around internally. But there's just no justification when they've got x number of FF13s to make at the moment.

The industry is at a state where remakes of games are definitely viable. The console cycle is going to be stretched pretty long over this generation, and towards the end companies will get bigger and badder. Newer audiences haven't been exposed to 'classics' of the past, and by golly if a remake with the right amount of heart is in production, I will be there day one.

EverAlert

Smash Master
NNID
EVAL89
3DS FC
2664-2214-3431
lol they really shouldn't, OOT has been released too many times already. I love OOT just as much as the next Zelda fan (it's the game that made me fall in love with the series), but when a game has been released 4+ times, it's probably time to let go. If it's a matter of exposing new audiences to old classics, OOT is already on VC anyway. :3

The problem is that developers have a really hard time updating classics aesthetically without ruining some gameplay element or other, or otherwise ruining the feel of the original. Excellent example: Diddy Kong Racing DS.

If you're going to remake a game, then REMAKE it, keep the story and improve the gameplay formula/puzzles/game, don't just **** around with the old game files.

You know what I would love? NEW games that play like old classics, but with nice 3D visuals (think sidescrolling sections of Mario Galaxy). New Super Mario Bros. Wii is a really good attempt, but I think it'd be even better with a nice perspective feel to its sidescroller-ness.

unreon

Smash Ace
You seem to be way too concerned with conserving your nostalgic love for the game. No, a remake isn't going to "ruin" the feel of the original. The audiences it is meant for will not notice a "ruining" because they haven't played the first one. Which they haven't bought on the VC. New generations of people without any previous exposure (e.g. an older sibling) is going in blank. They are not going to VC with the knowledge of which games are the classic ones.

The idea of a remake is, of course, to get the best of the classic and redress it in a new style. In the point of OoT, the point is to even out the archaic kinks of the old game (e.g. visiting the pause menu every few seconds), smooth out the flow (e.g. water temple), update the presentation, maybe add new sidequests to keep it fresh. They would grab new audiences with the hype, get the fans excited for a chance to go back, and perhaps rile up fanboys for my entertainment.

Plus, how can you "REMAKE" a game without touching the original files anyway?

And nobody fricking say they wouldn't be excited for a remake of OoT. Because you'd be outright lying. Don't lie, kiddies :)

swordsaint

Smash Master
You seem to be way too concerned with conserving your nostalgic love for the game. No, a remake isn't going to "ruin" the feel of the original. The audiences it is meant for will not notice a "ruining" because they haven't played the first one. Which they haven't bought on the VC. New generations of people without any previous exposure (e.g. an older sibling) is going in blank. They are not going to VC with the knowledge of which games are the classic ones.

The idea of a remake is, of course, to get the best of the classic and redress it in a new style. In the point of OoT, the point is to even out the archaic kinks of the old game (e.g. visiting the pause menu every few seconds), smooth out the flow (e.g. water temple), update the presentation, maybe add new sidequests to keep it fresh. They would grab new audiences with the hype, get the fans excited for a chance to go back, and perhaps rile up fanboys for my entertainment.

Plus, how can you "REMAKE" a game without touching the original files anyway?

And nobody fricking say they wouldn't be excited for a remake of OoT. Because you'd be outright lying. Don't lie, kiddies :)
I love this guy.

EverAlert

Smash Master
NNID
EVAL89
3DS FC
2664-2214-3431
I'd be excited for an OOT remake, no lies there. But I'd also be like SIGHHH for reasons stated above.

Anyway, you're missing the point. I have a tendency to overword things, but basically what I said was a roundabout way of saying "if you're going to remake something, make sure it doesn't turn out crap." You seem to think my point revolved around preserving the old game -- it's true I'm a sucker for nostalgia, but no, when I say not to ruin something, I'm not talking about nostalgia, I actually mean don't ruin it, as in don't make it worse rather than better (the point of a remake). Hence the Diddy Kong Racing DS example, which was a terrible remake. And honestly, I haven't really seen too many incredible remakes.

And er, why would they not have bought it on VC, exactly? How many existing series are still running now from back in the NES days that aren't classics? I'm sure there are a few NES classics that didn't turn into a series, but in the case of OOT/Zelda that isn't an issue. It's not hard to find out what the old classics are, at least not the ones relevant to this argument. It should be especially easy in Zelda's case since TP was a launch title and anyone who's ever heard of the Wii should also have heard of TP/Zelda. The only reason for them not buying OOT on VC is that they aren't interested in that kind of game or don't have the money, in which case they're not likely to buy a proper remake anyway. (This is probably flawed reasoning, but I really don't see why people aren't going to be buying VC OOT specifically.)

Also, remaking a game without touching the original files - excluding things like script since that is obviously necessary - isn't really a hard concept to grasp, it's simply a matter of physically rebuilding the game from scratch and creating new content (I don't mean to make it sound like it's an easy task though, it's not). Although my point wasn't really not to touch them at all, but not to make only trivial changes without improving on anything substantial.

XBLA Banjo-Kazooie is a good example - necessary changes aside, they changed the font and little else, nothing was added to the game and, in my opinion, the changes are inferior, so I consider it "ruined" in the literal sense. Not to say it isn't still an incredible game, it's just not as good as it used to be, rather than simply different or "un-nostalgic". In OOT's case, basically I'd want something along the lines of redesigned levels/maps, new puzzles, new NPCs/side-quests (not necessarily all of those, just something significant) - an actual redo of the game rather than a mere update. A simpler way of putting it would be smoothing out the good stuff while maximising the fresh stuff.

BTW, Water Temple was my favourite dungeon in OOT.

Sorry if I'm coming off as rude or aggressive, I'm just trying to explain myself properly. :/

...Ellipsis...

Smash Lord
Started playing Paper Mario Thousand Year Door again the other day. This is one of the best games ever. Anyone else kill the final boss in a single power bounce combo?

Vermy

Smash Champion
Just bought a new gfx card, need halp choosing a new PC game.
Dragon Age: Origins
Borderlands
Fallout 3

Nova

Banned via Warnings
BTW, Water Temple was my favourite dungeon in OOT.
You really do seem to like the levels I always hated (Rusty Bucket, Water Temple.... :@).

waiting for perfet dark to come out on live.. soon my precious..
Yes, oh YES. The frame rate was the ONLY problem with that game imo. The pictures of the remake with online and smoothness just looks awesome. Game of the year for me.

C~Dog

Smash Champion
Forest Temple was the best, the music was so eerie and inspiring. The City in the Sky from TP music is similar in this way, now that i think about it.

Sieg

Smash Champion
Torchlight.

Amazing Diablo clonish game.

Don't skip levels because of feelings.

EverAlert

Smash Master
NNID
EVAL89
3DS FC
2664-2214-3431
You really do seem to like the levels I always hated (Rusty Bucket, Water Temple.... :@).
Haha.

Or rather, I tend to like the levels everyone else hates the most. xD .. I don't know why; I also like the ones others like too. It just turned out this way.

Condog, the Forest Temple creeped me out way more than Shadow Temple, I didn't like it much. D: (Good example of a level I don't like that others normally do.)

xXArrowXx

Smash Champion
fallout 3 or dragon origin game depending on how much you like rpg

escape from the city.

forest stages are bad in 2 player.. me and kas contantly die because of chaos spear and whateva sonics one is. then the person that dies respawns with chaos spear and the cycle contuines

Nova

Banned via Warnings
Spirit Temple was my favorite one. Love the music, the atmosphere, where it's located. All about it. <3

Forest Temple scared the HELL out of me when I played the Master Quest remake. I was in my room playing it at 2am and turned around and a ****ing HUGE Huntsman spider was sitting on the wall. I swear the music from the Temple summoned it to attack me. :(

Vermy

Smash Champion
So am I. And all I can say is omg. Soooooooooo goooooooooood!

Went for an city elf warrior, Leilana just joined my party. Barely scratched the surface and I found myself almost asleep at the keyboard. Such an addictive game.

Sieg

Smash Champion
Torchlight.

I'm going to keep saying this until someone realises how awesome this D2 remake/game is.

Top Bottom