• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Unity Ruleset: Discussion

Tesh

Smash Hero
I love how he admits to ANOTHER conduct rule. Anti gets the first red card? If he NEVER had time to leave M2K's side, he must have been coaching mid match. That is against the rules. If he wasn't coaching during the match, he is lying and he DID have time to announce the split on the stream.

Player-1

Smash Legend
Well actually to properly coach someone you should be watching the games and not leave their side, but the fact that he said "the whole time" means he was coaching during the games.

ANTi_

Smash Hero
At this point i do not care.

And we were allowed to coach, One coach per-person.

Tesh

Smash Hero
Why are people so mad over a yellow card? Its a slap on the wrist, at least they didn't ban you right away like MLG did.

Rules say coaching is only allowed between matches:
Coaching is allowed only between games, not during. Failure to adhere to this will lead to punishment at the TO's discretion, which could include the removal from the venue.

ANTi_

Smash Hero
Why are people so mad over a yellow card? Its a slap on the wrist, at least they didn't ban you right away like MLG did.

Rules say coaching is only allowed between matches:
That's what i did, i exaggerated when i said "whole-time".

Mainly he was playing, lost game 1, i told him to go to RC and time him out, won game 2, told him to ban halberd?, went yoshis and won game 3.

Tesh

Smash Hero
M2K needed you to tell him to go to RC and play gay like he always does when he loses to an Olimar?

DeLux

Player that used to be Lux
From an interpretative standpoint of the rule, let's say hypothetically that Anti WAS coaching and it is proven.

The punishment is to be rendered at the TO's discretion. Obviously, as of now the TO's discretion has been to punish it by doing nothing.

So he's already done his time for the rule breaking so it's really a non-issue.

ZTD | TECHnology

Developing New TECHnology
I still find it funny Anti came to this thread to clear himself of one account of rule breaking, simply to admit to another one. It's a little counterproductive,would you agree? :bee:

:phone:

ANTi_

Smash Hero
M2K needed you to tell him to go to RC and play gay like he always does when he loses to an Olimar?
You weren't at the tournament, you don't know how mentally unstable he was at the time.

Tesh

Smash Hero
@ Tech Chase, if they knew to keep these things to themselves, there wouldn't have been the first problem to begin with right?

@ Anti, if he was so unstable, how did he have the patience to camp so hard game 2 and 3 without anyone coaching him during the matches? If he was soooooooo out of it that he would not be able to figure out which stage to CP, how does he manage to properly execute a strategy like that?

DeLux

Tech, the punishment is to be done at the TO's discretion.

He's already served his punishment for breaking that rule so in terms of objectively looking at whatever situation has arisen, it has to be seen as a non-issue =\

ZTD | TECHnology

@ Tesh: Haha pretty much.

@Lux: I never said we were going to take action for his coaching (even though he just admitted it). I just find it really funny. But then again he said he doesn't care so it is what it is.

DeLux

I'm more just pointing out the issues with coaching and unnecessary burdens of TO discretion when it comes to enforcing an otherwise solid rulesset lol :)

DeLux

I'm just waiting for this splitting conduct discussion to die down before I really get to work on why those rules ought to be amended.

In due time Tech, in due time :)

ZTD | TECHnology

LOL at your plotting.

Okay seriously though Anti, you posting lately on Smashboards hasn't served you positively in any way as of late. I mean if you have anything productive to say , I want to hear it. Otherwise, I feel like we could be moving on to other topics of interest. The same goes to anyone else that has taken place in this discussion.

ANTi_

Smash Hero
Okay seriously though Anti, you posting lately on Smashboards hasn't served you positively in any way as of late. I mean if you have anything productive to say , I want to hear it. Otherwise, I feel like we could be moving on to other topics of interest. The same goes to anyone else that has taken place in this discussion.

This was my first time posting in this thread? calm down.

ANTi_

Smash Hero
Btw Tesh, the man isn't mentally ********.

I seen him hovering his cursor around Smashville, so i whispered, just go RC and time him out.

Sorry for coaching him so hard by doing that man!

Jack Kieser

Smash Champion
I, for one, applaud the BBR-RC for implementing a punishment system for players who are proven to break tournament rules, especially in terms of bracket manipulation. It really does show a movement to make this community more mature and respectable, as well as show that someone in the community has an eye towards the ethical principles of sports conduct. People may be complaining about player X getting a card, or how Yellow Cards last too long, or maybe how it's dumb to even have a punishment system. To those people, I have only one thing to say:

You are bad for the community in the long term.

These kinds of additions to the ruleset elevate us from mere video game club to sport; without ethical self-policing and standards of conduct, we aren't a serious competitive community. We can't be respected if we don't act respectable, and for all of those who are about to say "well, we don't care if anyone respects us", I direct those people to Deaux and Major's model of social interaction (long story short: an actor's actions affect not only what the perceiver sees, but how the perceiver reacts, which in turn reconfirms the original actor's behaviors. What this means is if we aren't respected by others, eventually the cycle of reconfirmation makes us not respect OURSELVES).

These kind of rules, over the long term, help shape us into a truly competitive sport, instead of just a loose collection of nerds playing games. If AZ's previous estimates of how much money we bring in annually are in any way accurate, then these rules are sorely needed and long overdue. It's about time people realized that being a top player is about more than just winning matches: it's about the way you conduct yourself, how you represent the community, and the example you set and reinforce for the whole community.

It's time top players started acting like top players.

Trent

Smash Champion
Off topic, I made a stage list picture for my tournament tomorrow, and I thought I'd post it here in case others wanted to use it:

I figure it would help newcomer players grasp the idea of neutrals and counter picks.

Jack Kieser

Smash Champion
Lol, that looks almost exactly like the Tournament Organizer Tools pack I released, like, a year ago in the ISP thread. I've had files on my computer that makes images exactly like that for forever.

Reizilla

The Old Lapras and the Sea
Yeah! Our top players need to start acting like top players!

Look at football! They need to start acting like Michael Vick!

Wait.

Umm, Kobe!

No...

Uhh, Tiger Woods?

Sinister Slush

❄ I miss my kind ❄
BRoomer
NNID
SinisterSlush
Slush, I count (IIRC) 22 max under standard rules, maybe 1-2 more under OSF.
My best guess is you're counting Luigi's Mansion, Pirate Ship, Norfair, PTAD, Distant Planet, Pictochat, Yoshi's Island (Melee), Jungle Japes, and Green Greens into the mix for the amount of 22 You typed up.

Also
I think he meant the Unity Ruleset, IC.
I did mean the Unity Ruleset, but what i'd possibly like on this list for the next update is Jungle Japes PTAD and Norfair.

Raziek

Charging Limit All Day
NNID
Raziek
3DS FC
3866-8131-5247
We, as players who respect variety and depth, mourn the lack of such qualities in our common stagelist.

Especially when there are many tolerable stages that could be included.

Just like how I mourn WarioWare being spoiled by the imbalanced MicroGame rewards.

DeLux

I feel like the stage list is pretty good. It's a nice balance between what conservative stage listers would derive to what more liberal stage listers would derive.

Like, personally I'd vouch for fewer stages because of the win/loss criteria, but I'm probably the most hardline conservative stage list person out there that doesn't argue, "We should ban X stage because it's gay."

But I think common perception is that people want more depth as a core value over pure pvp as a competing value.

Raziek

Charging Limit All Day
NNID
Raziek
3DS FC
3866-8131-5247
Lux, that's unbelievably not true, what you said in your first statement.

This stagelist is a PS2 ban away from being as conservative as it gets.

Life

Smash Hero
My best guess is you're counting Luigi's Mansion, Pirate Ship, Norfair, PTAD, Distant Planet, Pictochat, Yoshi's Island (Melee), Jungle Japes, and Green Greens into the mix for the amount of 22 You typed up.
I included basically everything that could viably be used without a clearly obvious game-breaking feature (Circle camping, walkoffs, etc). Dig up the BBR 3.0 set, that's about it.

DeLux

Lux, that's unbelievably not true, what you said in your first statement.

This stagelist is a PS2 ban away from being as conservative as it gets.
It's not true from your perspective of valued depth.

If you wanted as conservative as it gets, it would be only 3 stages like some continents

Not that I'm saying we should do that, but if you operate from a different value system to determine what supports competitive play, you'd see that it's fairly balanced.

Bizkit047

Smash Lord
I should probably state that PS2 has no plans of being removed. There is discussion of a possible replacement for Picto, but nothing fully discussed or voted on yet.

Top Bottom