• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Unity Ruleset: Discussion

Nidtendofreak

Smash Hero
NNID
TheNiddo
3DS FC
3668-7651-8940
Bombs do have some amount of randomness (I think it was only 1/3 are actually targeting players), but there are also always only 6 launched each time.

Catapult does have random firing times as well as a distance trigger, but it's in a set location. It also has set knockback (IIRC), which means it's always survivable. Been a while since I tested that part of Pirate Ship.

And I'm fairly sure there isn't high gravity at all, though I didn't actually test for high gravity. >_>

Tesh

Smash Hero
There is high gravity when the wind lifts the boat. I can tell because it makes Sonic's spring USELESS as he goes almost nowhere. Then it has low gravity when the boat is falling back to the water. Its extremely telegraphed though, it won't lead to "stupid deaths" any more than Rainbow Cruise.

Supreme Dirt

King of the Railway
Also I could see Pirate Ship being a GOOD Olimar stage tbh. Sure the water kills pikmin but so do blastzones. And Olimar is generally dead below the stage on any other stage anyways.

Alphicans

Smash Hero
Pirate ship is an excellent olimar stage, and the water actually benefits him a lot. Gimping is not an issue for him any longer.

Alphicans

Smash Hero
Well tbh, olimar is the only good character that has problems getting gimped. Past that it doesn't really matter because they're ****ty anyways.

Lucario has issues too I suppose, but this stage does not scream "good lucario stage."

Nidtendofreak

Smash Hero
NNID
TheNiddo
3DS FC
3668-7651-8940
Well tbh, olimar is the only good character that has problems getting gimped. Past that it doesn't really matter because they're ****ty anyways.

Lucario has issues too I suppose, but this stage does not scream "good lucario stage."
I'd say that's arguable.

Snake doesn't have problems being gimped, but he has problems getting back on stage without taking a serious amount of damage. Water gives him more options. And characters as low down on the list as Yoshi have proven to be a threat in tournaments every now and then. That leaves a lot of "top 8able" characters with a half decent CP if Pirate Ship is added.

Judo777

Smash Master
I have no bearing on the argument concerning whether pirate ship should be legal or not because I'm on the fence. However I must say shielding the bombs is not a very good idea. They do SOOOOO much shield damage its insane. Its gotta be about half of your total shield. If a bomb lands on you and you shield it and ike counters at the same time and hits your shield with the bomb counter it break your full shield.

Oh also just a thought. While some of the more well known players couldn't get away with this easily, what would happen if say someone received a Red Card for say bracket manipulation, then wen to a smaller out of state tournament that used the Unity Ruleset and didn't use their tag? For instance I only know what some of the very top level players that went to Columbus really look like. If say Ultimate Razer got a Red Card then came to some Kentucky Tournament using the ruleset how would we be able to stop that?

Or on a more likely note, Red Cards that could be acquired by lesser skilled players for instance in the Conduct Category (where anyone could get a Red Card and you wouldn't even need to be a top player or even a good player). Some body could easily get a Red Card for Conduct and then enter some tournament using a different tag and might not be recognized.

I'm kind of thinking aloud but what would be done about that?

Jack Kieser

Smash Champion
The obvious fix is to collect tags and real names during registration; just look at IDs before signing people up. We're already posting carded people on the boards, so "privacy" isn't really an issue; just restrict the real names to an excel doc (or word file, it's probably not going to be that large of a list) that is only given to TOs before a UR tournament and make it a serious offense for TOs to leak the list of names. Like, perma-ban offense.

Judo777

Smash Master
The obvious fix is to collect tags and real names during registration; just look at IDs before signing people up. We're already posting carded people on the boards, so "privacy" isn't really an issue; just restrict the real names to an excel doc (or word file, it's probably not going to be that large of a list) that is only given to TOs before a UR tournament and make it a serious offense for TOs to leak the list of names. Like, perma-ban offense.
hmmm idk if I like the idea of checking names. Not only is that getting a little too personal (although you did give great ideas for safety precautions). But also what about the very rare case of the same names?

Nidtendofreak

Smash Hero
NNID
TheNiddo
3DS FC
3668-7651-8940
I'm not giving out my ID to a bunch of random people I've only met over the internet. Sorry, but it's just not going to happen. Some of us happen to be a bit paranoid and prefer not to have our names anywhere. You can google my real name, and not find me anywhere, except for in one, incomplete family tree that a relative put up online. And all there is there is my name and my parents' name. I'd rather keep it that way as long as possible, and I'm not going to risk some idiot uploading his excel sheet to the internet.

So, flat out no to checking real names.

Jack Kieser

Smash Champion
I had a feeling someone would say that, so I had something queued up for just such an argument:

Go watch this. It will take 5 minutes. It's ok, I'll wait.

The fact of the matter is that Judo brings up a very important point: we, as of now, don't track anything other than player tags, which can be forged. For the card system to work, there HAS to be a foolproof, verifiable system for tracking card issuance. For top-level players, that's easy; however, for the system to be fair, it has to be easy to track ALL cards, not just the cards of top players.

Which means that the TO of Unity events has to have a way to track card issuance relative to players efficiently and accurately, and IDs fit that description perfectly; everyone already has them, they are issued by trusted sources (schools, states, the Feds), and each one is unique to a player. In addition, the only names that need to be tracked at all are players with cards issued to them.

What this means, Niddo, is that no one is writing your name in an Excel spreadsheet unless you get a Yellow or Red card from a TO. In which case, you deserve to lose your anonymity for being a douche / splitting pots / manipulating match outcomes. Your name isn't tracked at each tournament, simply cross-referenced against a spreadsheet before you're allowed to sign up. No one's name is going to be kept unless the TO issues a card.

Look, people. As that video above details, with added functionality comes added cost. The card system is necessary; we have to have a way to punish players who act out of accordance with our rules. That functionality comes with a price, however, and that means some level of identity checking. If the BBR-RC ever gets enough funding to be able to issue their own SmashBoards ID Cards (tm) that can't be forged easily, then we can use those. Until then, the only fair option we have is to check IDs and just make sure the system is as secure as possible (i.e., only allowing access to the file on a need-to-use basis).

Nidtendofreak

Smash Hero
NNID
TheNiddo
3DS FC
3668-7651-8940
If the government or something like that wants to track my ID, by all means they can go ahead.

If a bunch of teenagers/young adults want to track my ID for a video game tournament, that's crossing the line. If I were stupid enough to cheat at a tournament (like I could place well enough for that problem to come up in the first place), I do not deserve to put my ID at risk. Those are two very different levels of problems. One is cheating a bit for at max (if I suddenly became amazing at this game and had the money to travel), a few thousand dollars. The other is potentially losing my ID to who knows what, with who knows how much damage done. One is being a jerk and a cheat, the other is potentially life changing if worse comes to worse.

The moment tournaments start using real world ID for any reason as a mandatory thing is the moment I don't even bother trying to get out to a tournament. I don't care how tiny the possibility that something bad could happen out of it: it's not worth it. Go ahead and make Smashboard ID cards if you want with my username: my picture and my name will not be on it however.

Besides, what are you going to do if some random local hears about the tournament and decides the come, but doesn't go the site?

---

I'd much rather risk somebody with a Red Card spending the serious amount of gas money to travel all of the way to a another region, where nobody knows him, and place in a tiny tournament where the payout is so tiny that he doesn't make a profit due to the gas cost, then mess around with even a .0000000001% chance of something screwy happening with my ID.

Jack Kieser

Smash Champion
That's fine; if unity Ruleset events end up having to check IDs to enforce their Yellow / Red card system, you probably just won't be entering any Unity tournaments, then. Again, you're ID wouldn't be tracked unless you screwed up; at most, good players who behave just have their ID glanced at before registering. Most people won't care, because most people own phones that track 5000% more personal data and are more likely to be stolen / hacked anyway.

If someone hears about a UR tournament and decides to come without ID, then he has two options:

1 ) hope he lives close enough to run home and get some ID
2 ) play friendlies, because he won't be in bracket

Sucks for him, but rules are rules. I'm sorry, Niddo, it might not seem like more than a "video game tournament" to you, but in the aggregate we're talking about over $300,000 annually; this is not chump change. This is big business, and it's important enough sums of money that this is a necessary set of rules to have in place, no matter how they end up being enforced.

If you don't want to pay the cost, you don't get the functionality. Without adhering to whatever system the BBR-RC decides to use, you don't get to play in bracket.

EDIT: I just checked the EVO2011 website. To even register for the event, you are required to give your name. So, this isn't without precedent, just without precedent in Smash. This is part of growing up, people.

Nidtendofreak

Smash Hero
NNID
TheNiddo
3DS FC
3668-7651-8940
That's fine; if unity Ruleset events end up having to check IDs to enforce their Yellow / Red card system, you probably just won't be entering any Unity tournaments, then. Again, you're ID wouldn't be tracked unless you screwed up; at most, good players who behave just have their ID glanced at before registering. Most people won't care, because most people own phones that track 5000% more personal data and are more likely to be stolen / hacked anyway.

If someone hears about a UR tournament and decides to come without ID, then he has two options:

1 ) hope he lives close enough to run home and get some ID
2 ) play friendlies, because he won't be in bracket

Sucks for him, but rules are rules. I'm sorry, Niddo, it might not seem like more than a "video game tournament" to you, but in the aggregate we're talking about over $300,000 annually; this is not chump change. This is big business, and it's important enough sums of money that this is a necessary set of rules to have in place, no matter how they end up being enforced.

If you don't want to pay the cost, you don't get the functionality. Without adhering to whatever system the BBR-RC decides to use, you don't get to play in bracket.
1) There is a reason why I have a crappy cellphone and basically never use it. >_>

2) Then it's a good thing you're not in charge of the BBR-RC. And really, $300,000 spread among who knows how many people is nothing compared to the damage that could be done with one slip up with tracked IDs. "Big Business"? Don't make me laugh.

I'm not talking just mine, I'm talking that one excel sheet, with let's say a dozen names at the time. It takes one miss click when trying to send it to another TO, one mess up due to too much to drink, one computer getting hacked, and you could potentially screw over a dozen people's lives. Let me tell ya: the damage that could be is much higher than $300,000. And what are you going to do if that happens? "Hey, sorry that we may have permanently screwed over your lives, that's what you get for cheating once/twice at an overall irrelevant video game tournament."? lolno. Companies where this have happened due to a data leak get sued like crazy, for millions of dollars, and they have much better security than a college student's laptop sitting around in a dorm room.

Any system that uses common sense will not use real IDs. Not for video game tournaments. Not worth the tiny, tiny, tiny, tiny risk. Suck it up and realize that if people are really desperate to play Brawl, they will take the overall loss and hours of driving to do so.

Jack Kieser

Smash Champion
You must have missed my edit then, Niddo, because Evo2011 is already requiring real names for registration. What's more, they require credit card numbers to pay entry fees, which UR events (as of now) have no reason for.

You do realize that you're talking as though a list of names means anything online, right? Social security numbers won't be tracked. ID numbers or DL numbers won't be tracked. Hell, it's not like you're giving a TO your passport number. It's a first and last name; first and last names are literally a dime a dozen on the internet. Proof: a few weeks back, some loser dad got all in a tizzy because Portal 2 had an adoption joke in it, one that he misinterpreted and missed the irony of. Using the name he gave to the local news station that broadcasted the story and the callsign of the station, I found his address and email (and proceeded to send him letters about how wrong he was). Now, did I find this guy's info? Yes, I found his address and email. I also had the state he lived in, though, and his picture, which was broadcasted over TV.

I could literally search a random name like "Jacob Henderson" on Google right now and find people, probably their address and emails. Could I totally steal their identity? No, not without more info than that. I should know; I work at Chase Bank, where people come in all the time worried about internet identity theft.

I'm sorry, but AGAIN, if you'd just watch the video I linked to, you'd realize that a list of first and last names is nothing.

Oh, and by the way, 300,000$ is more than most people make in 2-3 years. I make, like, 10k$ a year. 300,000$ is a lot of money. It literally IS what some big businesses make in a year.

Jack Kieser

Smash Champion
Alright then, Chuee. How about adding something to the discussion and suggesting an alternate way for Unity TOs to accurately and efficiently track player card issuance that doesn't allow for players to dodge their punishments. Well?

Raziek

Charging Limit All Day
NNID
Raziek
3DS FC
3866-8131-5247
I find it STAGGERING that people are balking at the idea of doing something that you have to do just to buy certain consumables in most countries.

Are you guys really serious? It's your damn driver's license, not a full body cavity search.

Chuee

Smash Hero
Alright then, Chuee. How about adding something to the discussion and suggesting an alternate way for Unity TOs to accurately and efficiently track player card issuance that doesn't allow for players to dodge their punishments. Well?
Red card is who this is for right?
Unless we actually get a good amount of people with red cards, I don't find it necessary.

Jack Kieser

Smash Champion
Why would it only be for Red Cards? It would have to also track Yellow Cards, since YCs last for so much longer and sometimes (probably most of the time) are required to issue a Red Card (remember, 2 YCs == 1 RC). Everyone with an active card of any kind would need to be traceable by all Unity TOs.

So, yes, it's necessary.

Also, THANK YOU, Raziek. We aren't implying people need to give up a first born or telegraph their social security number across the internet, here. If you want a chance to win multiple hundreds of dollars, I think it's entirely fair to ask that you prove you are who you say you are and that you have a valid claim to those hundreds of dollars.

Seriously, it's not massive invasion of privacy. It's flashing a picture card to a TO for 3 seconds.

Jack Kieser

Smash Champion
Again, add to the discussion. Why lol? Because you have a valid reason? Or because it makes your stomach feel like little butterflies are fluttering around in it?

:phone:

stingers

Smash Obsessed
Because it's draconian and incredibly unnecessary. Its the principle of the thing, I and many others just don't want to be forced to get some silly ID to compete in a video game tournament lmao

Raziek

Charging Limit All Day
NNID
Raziek
3DS FC
3866-8131-5247
Son, it's a god damn 2 second peek at your ID.

It's not Draconian, it's not unnecessary, and you're not FORCED to get anything. If you don't have a piece of ID on you, are you living under a rock?

SMH, people. You all have birth certificates, what the hell is this gonna change?

stingers

Smash Obsessed
"sorry little timmy, you cant enter this video game tournament because you're not old enough to have an ID. go home and play with your barbies now"

like, are you guys just that jaded and removed from the real world, or are you being serious

w/e, theres like no chance in the world of this ever happening so its not like it matters anyway

Raziek

Charging Limit All Day
NNID
Raziek
3DS FC
3866-8131-5247
Any kid that young is at the tournament thanks to his parents, and thus they have ID and can vouch.

I can't believe people are actually seriously offended by this idea.

Nidtendofreak

Smash Hero
NNID
TheNiddo
3DS FC
3668-7651-8940
You must have missed my edit then, Niddo, because Evo2011 is already requiring real names for registration. What's more, they require credit card numbers to pay entry fees, which UR events (as of now) have no reason for.
Good thing I have no plans on going to EVO then. Besides, I don't even have a credit card yet: I can't legally work in the states. :troll:

You do realize that you're talking as though a list of names means anything online, right? Social security numbers won't be tracked. ID numbers or DL numbers won't be tracked. Hell, it's not like you're giving a TO your passport number. It's a first and last name; first and last names are literally a dime a dozen on the internet. Proof: a few weeks back, some loser dad got all in a tizzy because Portal 2 had an adoption joke in it, one that he misinterpreted and missed the irony of. Using the name he gave to the local news station that broadcasted the story and the callsign of the station, I found his address and email (and proceeded to send him letters about how wrong he was). Now, did I find this guy's info? Yes, I found his address and email. I also had the state he lived in, though, and his picture, which was broadcasted over TV.
I know you just mean just a first and last name. Just a first name wouldn't be a big issue. The moment you throw in a second name, it's a terrible idea.

I could literally search a random name like "Jacob Henderson" on Google right now and find people, probably their address and emails. Could I totally steal their identity? No, not without more info than that. I should know; I work at Chase Bank, where people come in all the time worried about internet identity theft.

I'm sorry, but AGAIN, if you'd just watch the video I linked to, you'd realize that a list of first and last names is nothing.
You obviously aren't very good as finding more info for identity stealing then. It's very easy to continue with just a name. Got a full name? Look them up on facebook. Chances are, they are stupid enough to tell their friends on there when they're leaving to go out of town. Or look them up in a registry. Hey, you got their name, and you obviously know which city, or at least general area they are in. You can easily figure out their address unless they have an extremely common name. If you combine that with the facebook stupidity so many people are prone to, that's an easy break in attempt.

Phone numbers are also very easy to look up online if you have a name and general area, which in turn helps to narrow down their location. From that, all you have to do is check their trash can for any piece of paper with their credit card info (because many people are stupid and won't shred their stuff, or will just use a really crappy shredder), and it all goes down hill from there.

You want to pull a "I work at a bank, so I know about this sort of thing" card? I believe I can one up that. Part of my dad's job is to know how easy this stuff is to pull off. Heck, he's banned from having facebook according to his work, it's too risky for people to accidentally say something stupid on that site. Not that he would ever get one, because that site is just terrible when it comes to security. The stuff I've mentioned above? Extremely easy to do.

Heck, somebody added me on YIM, it happened to show their full name, for kicks I looked them up online. Bam: address, phone number, facebook was there though I don't have a facebook account to look at the info (though I did read through their old myspace page, complete with them talking about their trip to another continent). Too easy.

Is this all highly, highly unlikely to all occur? Of course. However, some of us don't like the risk, and want to minimize it as much as possible.

Simply put: it's a stupid idea for such a minor thing. Video game tournaments aren't worth the hassle. Besides, it's still easy to get around that whole ID thing: just be buds with the TO/area, and they agree to write down your placement as somebody else. Are you going to set up rules to take care of that as well?

Oh, and by the way, 300,000$ is more than most people make in 2-3 years. I make, like, 10k$ a year. 300,000$ is a lot of money. It literally IS what some big businesses make in a year.
Too bad it's not one person making that, or even one company. It's lot and lots of individual people. 100s easily. That's not a business.

Jack Kieser

Smash Champion
Because it's draconian and incredibly unnecessary. Its the principle of the thing, I and many others just don't want to be forced to get some silly ID to compete in a video game tournament lmao
Draconian - "rigorous; unusually severe or cruel"

Unnecessary - "not necessary or essential; needless; unessential"

It's not draconian because it's not "unusually severe or cruel"; showing an ID that most people who go to tournaments have to have on them already (because they drive to the tournament). Furthermore, no data is kept; ID information is not recorded, except to register offenders. This is not draconian at all, unless you feel that having to have an ID for a whole host of other things is also draconian (for instance, shopping online, driving, buying alcohol, having a bank account, using certain websites, etc. If you think this rule would be draconian, all of those other rules must be as well, because they all require the same thing: showing an ID card).

It's not unnecessary for the points I've outlined earlier: without a way of tracking offenders outside of being a famous player, the system is not only unfair to those who are famous (as they are easier to track by sight), but also useless on the majority of the playerbase. A way to accurately and efficiently track infractions is necessary for the card system to work.

So, next time, try picking better words, or better yet, try having an actual argument.

TL;DR: You having butterflies in your belly at the thought of needing ID to have a chance to win hundreds of dollars is not enough of a reason to shoot down this idea.

DeLux

Player that used to be Lux
Privacy issues aside, the movement towards real names instead of anonymous handles adds legitimacy to any sort of standing we hold in mainstream society.

Do you see top level sports players hiding behind an anonymous handle? They don't. Allowing participants to hide behind an alias indicates that we're doing something that we wouldn't want people to know about. Usually things of that nature are either embarrassing or illegal. We're trying to make the case for it being neither. But the community really has a long way to go in order to prove that is the case.

If we're trying to be treated as a legitimate competitive contest of skill, then we ought to take measures to amend societal perception of our competitive game. Part of that is fixing some of arbitrary community constructs that really serve no purpose. Another part would be to fix some of the morally unsound occurrences that undeservedly represent out community.

The card system seeks to cure the latter. Enforcing it via IDs would cure the former.

The time is over where we have to act like some sort of underground movement. If you're afraid you're identity is going to be stolen because you flashed your name at a tournament to be able to register, then you more than likely have taken the steps to safeguard against identity theft already. Everyone should do that. But to link providing a name and identity theft as the fault of an organizational movement is a large stretch at best.

What isn't a large stretch, however, is the legitimacy we could gain by implementing such a system.

Dabuz

Fraud at Smash
Ok, explain this scenario, some randoms, a group of friends, want to go to their first tournament, because they are all taking one car, only of them needs to bring their driver's license, the rest just bring some money and any other essentials, but no ID, does the TO prohibit them from entering a tourney?

Chuee

Smash Hero
lmfao Niddo going mad hard.
@ the part saying all of that is highly unlikely.
So is someone with a red card trying to sneak in a unity event.

Nidtendofreak

Smash Hero
NNID
TheNiddo
3DS FC
3668-7651-8940
Privacy issues aside, the movement towards real names instead of anonymous handles adds legitimacy to any sort of standing we hold in mainstream society.

Do you see top level sports players hiding behind an anonymous handle? They don't. Allowing participants to hide behind an alias indicates that we're doing something that we wouldn't want people to know about. Usually things of that nature are either embarrassing or illegal. We're trying to make the case for it being neither. But the community really has a long way to go in order to prove that is the case.

If we're trying to be treated as a legitimate competitive contest of skill, then we ought to take measures to amend societal perception of our competitive game. Part of that is fixing some of arbitrary community constructs that really serve no purpose. Another part would be to fix some of the morally unsound occurrences that undeservedly represent out community.

The card system seeks to cure the latter. Enforcing it via IDs would cure the former.

The time is over where we have to act like some sort of underground movement. If you're afraid you're identity is going to be stolen because you flashed your name at a tournament to be able to register, then you more than likely have taken the steps to safeguard against identity theft already. Everyone should do that. But to link providing a name and identity theft as the fault of an organizational movement is a large stretch at best.

What isn't a large stretch, however, is the legitimacy we could gain by implementing such a system.
Nice job ignoring how much spam some of those top players end up getting because their real names are out there. >_>

Also: we're never going to look like a normal gaming community, because it's not a normal style of fighting. Who cares what other communities think?

@Chuee: Oh, I said right off the bat in my first post in this line of thinking that I'm paranoid. However, I find it bunch better be be paranoid than under prepared in this particular situation.

Jack Kieser

Smash Champion
Good thing I have no plans on going to EVO then. Besides, I don't even have a credit card yet: I can't legally work in the states. :troll:
Not the point, a point you entirely missed. You said that having to show ID to enter a video game tournament is a ridiculous assertion. I proved you wrong: the EVO series requires it to register at all. It's not ridiculous; it actually has a precedent. We just aren't used to following the precedent for large events.

I know you just mean just a first and last name. Just a first name wouldn't be a big issue. The moment you throw in a second name, it's a terrible idea.
It's not a "terrible" idea. Again, you're blowing it out of proportion. I'll show why in a second.

You obviously aren't very good as finding more info for identity stealing then. It's very easy to continue with just a name. Got a full name? Look them up on facebook.
I did. I said that.

Chances are, they are stupid enough to tell their friends on there when they're leaving to go out of town. Or look them up in a registry.
I did that, too. That's how I got the mailing address.

Hey, you got their name, and you obviously know which city, or at least general area they are in. You can easily figure out their address unless they have an extremely common name. If you combine that with the facebook stupidity so many people are prone to, that's an easy break in attempt.
It's also an easy break-in attempt to just wait until a family leaves for work / school. Breaking into a house does not require looking someone up online, and if it takes breaking into a person's house to steal his identity, that doesn't place the onus of responsibility on the internet. That places the onus on the lockmaker. General theft can happen any time, at any place, with or without internet information. That's not a good reason to not use the internet, or to say that writing down the names of a few individuals internally is automatically a bad idea.

You really didn't watch that video, did you?

Phone numbers are also very easy to look up online if you have a name and general area, which in turn helps to narrow down their location.
Yahoo People Search will get the address and phone number at the same time.

From that, all you have to do is check their trash can for any piece of paper with their credit card info (because many people are stupid and won't shred their stuff, or will just use a really crappy shredder), and it all goes down hill from there.
Again, looking into a trashcan does not require internet access. I can literally go down the hall in my apartment complex and look through a neighbor's trash right now, not know ANYTHING about him, and find an unshredded credit card statement and know 75% of what I need to steal his card number and use it online. Knowing his first / last name ahead of time doesn't actually help me. It would only help if I already knew other information that I can't get without hacking / stealing (like bank numbers).

This is what you're not getting. Names alone don't get you anything serious enough to steal identity. All of the things you need to steal identity come with actual theft, and that info is always bundled with name information when stored anyway.

You want to pull a "I work at a bank, so I know about this sort of thing" card? I believe I can one up that. Part of my dad's job is to know how easy this stuff is to pull off. Heck, he's banned from having facebook according to his work, it's too risky for people to accidentally say something stupid on that site. Not that he would ever get one, because that site is just terrible when it comes to security. The stuff I've mentioned above? Extremely easy to do.
Yay? The stuff you mentioned above is no different than what I mentioned earlier, and doesn't actually lead to identity theft. If it did, I could steal my next door neighbor's identity right now, since I already know his name. And apparently, a name is all you need.

Heck, somebody added me on YIM, it happened to show their full name, for kicks I looked them up online. Bam: address, phone number, facebook was there though I don't have a facebook account to look at the info (though I did read through their old myspace page, complete with them talking about their trip to another continent). Too easy.

Is this all highly, highly unlikely to all occur? Of course. However, some of us don't like the risk, and want to minimize it as much as possible.
Right, which I already addressed. The people who want to minimize that risk by not providing their ID don't play. Problem solved. No one forced anyone to sign up for PSN before it got hacked, and no one is forcing you to play in a Unity event.

Simply put: it's a stupid idea for such a minor thing. Video game tournaments aren't worth the hassle.
Says you. The point is that that is not a universal truth. If it was, EVO wouldn't exist or get funding.

Besides, it's still easy to get around that whole ID thing: just be buds with the TO/area, and they agree to write down your placement as somebody else. Are you going to set up rules to take care of that as well?
Did you NOT see my earlier post about this?

You know, all of these "ways to game the system" that people are posting aren't actually well-reasoned arguments against the Yellow / Red Card system. And I can prove it with two words:

Law Enforcement.

We have laws in this country, and entities exist to uphold and enforce those laws. Are the laws without loopholes? Of course not. And do people escape detection by the enforcement agencies tasked with upholding the laws (or do people escape punishment by acting just ambiguous enough so that courts aren't sure whether the law was broken)? Of course people do.

That does not mean we shouldn't have laws.

And that does NOT mean that this infraction system shouldn't be in place.

This system is to deter legitimate abuses of the tournament system for financial gain and / or to preserve the full integrity of the tournament system and what that system stands for, as well as strengthen the community though the creation and regulation of role models at the highest level of play (tangentially, of course). Yes, people will escape once in a blue moon and will sandbag just well enough to get away with it. And yes, once in a very long time, someone with a legitimate reason to forfeit may get caught under the banner of the rules. But, that's a calculated risk, and one the BBR-RC did not make lightly or without thought.

And, it's one that is wholly necessary.
Too bad it's not one person making that, or even one company. It's lot and lots of individual people. 100s easily. That's not a business.
Doesn't matter. The fact of the matter is that $300k+ is exchanging hands each year. One person, in theory, COULD win all of that money by being good enough to always get 1st and being able to travel a lot. Either way, it's a moot point. This is a game that makes players exchange over $300k a year. That's serious money to a lot of people, and those people, as well as the community, deserve to know that the integrity of our most important tournaments is being maintained. That's what the card system does, and if necessary, that's what this idea will do as well.

If you don't like it, then don't play the game.

Ok, explain this scenario, some randoms, a group of friends, want to go to their first tournament, because they are all taking one car, only of them needs to bring their driver's license, the rest just bring some money and any other essentials, but no ID, does the TO prohibit them from entering a tourney?
If I was the TO, I'd refuse them. Rules are rules, and if they want to enter, they can drive back home to get ID really quick; can't be that far if they are a bunch of randoms and only one person brought ID.

@jack
im only responding to let u know that none of what u said matters, because this will never happen.
Something tells me the BBR-RC are smart enough to know that if they wanted to implement a persistent infraction system, that they'd need a way to stop people from dodging their infractions. I'd be on the lookout for an announcement about how pretty soon.

TP

Smash Master
I for one avoid having friends because they tend to expect you to tell them your name at some point.

DeLux

Player that used to be Lux
Nice job ignoring how much spam some of those top players end up getting because their real names are out there. >_>

Also: we're never going to look like a normal gaming community, because it's not a normal style of fighting. Who cares what other communities think?

@Chuee: Oh, I said right off the bat in my first post in this line of thinking that I'm paranoid. However, I find it bunch better be be paranoid than under prepared in this particular situation.
I never said we should look like a normal gaming community. There shouldn't be a distinction that we're playing a game in some sort of contrast to any other activity, sport, contest of skill.

I'm talking legitimacy in the eyes of societal perception, which inherently affects public policy. Given that there's no federal level protection for games of skill and most tournaments exist in a discretionary gray area, it would benefit us greatly to take a stake in improving our standing as a community in the eyes of society.

Jack Kieser

Smash Champion
DeLux, I'm surprised to find myself actually agreeing with you. I would, however, suggest staying away from the "legitimacy" argument, since it's pretty easy to shoot down (it's pretty inductive, and so people can just not care about being legitimate). It's kind of a bait argument.

Also...

How much spam does M2K get now, considering there's a direct PM function on the boards that no one needs to look up information to use. Seriously, bad argument is bad.

Ok, now I know you aren't reading my posts.

These kinds of additions to the ruleset elevate us from mere video game club to sport; without ethical self-policing and standards of conduct, we aren't a serious competitive community. We can't be respected if we don't act respectable, and for all of those who are about to say "well, we don't care if anyone respects us", I direct those people to Deaux and Major's model of social interaction (long story short: an actor's actions affect not only what the perceiver sees, but how the perceiver reacts, which in turn reconfirms the original actor's behaviors. What this means is if we aren't respected by others, eventually the cycle of reconfirmation makes us not respect OURSELVES).

Top Bottom