• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Unity Ruleset: Discussion

Reizilla

The Old Lapras and the Sea
If we actually played more than the best 2/3 and worst 2/3 in tournament, people would know a lot more about matchups on each stage.

ぱみゅ

❤ ~
NNID
kyo.pamyu.pamyu
3DS FC
4785-5700-5699
Switch FC
SW 3264 5694 6605
Well, 100% is clearly impossible.
But you can learn about 40% on your own, ask someone else for other 30% and let the other 30% on your preference/confidence/performance of your character on certain stages (even if you know the MU well).
At least that is very possible.

Also, what Shun said.

fkacyan

Smash Hero
People need to understand their characters on each stage AND the OTHER characters on each stage before they can make a judgment about both characters fighting eachother on the stage.

Most people dont even get their own characters let alone the rest of the (relevant) cast.

ぱみゅ

❤ ~
NNID
kyo.pamyu.pamyu
3DS FC
4785-5700-5699
Switch FC
SW 3264 5694 6605
People need to understand their characters on each stage AND the OTHER characters on each stage before they can make a judgment about both characters fighting eachother on the stage.

Most people dont even get their own characters let alone the rest of the (relevant) cast.
And that's what I meant earlier:
I'm pretty sure that's players' fault, and most importantly, it can be corrected simply by learning.

sunshade

Smash Ace
A. There's no 100-0 statistic ever
B. We don't know if these unwinnable matchups would even happen because... well we haven't even tested it and already there seems to be some argument on who beats who there.
C. It doesnt matter if it fosters competitive gameplay or not since that is irrelevant to argument and is completely subjective, I'm purely proving a point that its the same as D3s cg being banned.
A. You know what I mean. 99-1, 90-10, horribly mindbogglingly difficult. Choose your number/words which you prefer the most but you know what I am saying.
B. Fair point, I will invest some time on temple beyond what I have already.
C. Again fair point, I personally think the if we want to stay truest to the game and avoid subjectivity, we need to abolish the counterpicking system, and have full stage list striking every round but thats not a fight worth fighting at the moment.

@Theo: You don't need to know the match-up perfectly on every stage to say "hmm I think brinstar is worse for my diddy when fighting metaknight than frigate is. Maybe I should ban it".

fkacyan

Smash Hero
@Theo: You don't need to know the match-up perfectly on every stage to say "hmm I think brinstar is worse for my diddy when fighting metaknight than frigate is. Maybe I should ban it".
ThIo. It's a ****ing I. THE LETTER I.

I'm not talking about bans here, I'm talking about using FLSSing. Flossing? That's what its new name is when talked about out loud now.

FLSSing is good in theory because it leads to a true neutral, but in practice this will not happen because people don't know every stage's matchup level, and often people don't play to a matchup but rather to preference.

sunshade

Smash Ace
So what you are saying is that the system is bad because it allows players who don't know the game as well as their opponent to be given a disadvantage?

Tarmogoyf

Smash Master
Actually, considering FLSS, (prepare for massive theorycraft)

How relevant is character viability game one? Consider this:

FLSS with the BRC stage list at this time. It's like 15 stages? All of the currently viable characters should remain viable with it, some less, some more.

But, with a liberal stage list (like Raziek's list for the tournies he runs), which contains ~30 stages, almost no character should be viable game 1, because most characters aren't good on a lot of stages, and if your opponent has 14 strikes, they can remove all static or similar stages, while they are good on all stages, thus losing far less.

Wouldn't this decrease character viability by an extremely large amout?

/end theory

ぱみゅ

❤ ~
NNID
kyo.pamyu.pamyu
3DS FC
4785-5700-5699
Switch FC
SW 3264 5694 6605
It will only hurt characters that aren't good with diverse stages (Diddy, ICs mainly).
It will buff those who are good on them, but are not on close battle (Jiggs is the first one that comes to my mind).

Also, if larger stagelists becomes a serious problem, they can be cutted down.

Tarmogoyf

Smash Master
I disagree with that actually. Think, with 30 stages, all of the stages in the BRC list would get struck. I can't see half the cast working with that.

Cutting down to around 20 stages seem fine though

fkacyan

Smash Hero
So what you are saying is that the system is bad because it allows players who don't know the game as well as their opponent to be given a disadvantage?
No...

I'm saying that the "benefit" of the match starting on a true neutral stage does not occur because that true neutral would not be played on, thus making the extra time expenditure over LLSSing (Limited list) not worth it.

Ideally? Best system, in theory. But if we knew enough about the game we'd just have a list of true neutrals by matchup and the striking wouldn't be necessary.

sunshade

Smash Ace
Most characters (even those who are generally less well rounded like the ice climbers) do better on more stages than we give them credit for. I will be using diddy kong for my example. Green stages are stages he likes, Light Blue are stages he is neutral towards, and Red are stages he hates.

Battlefield
Final Destination
Smashville
Yoshi's Island (Brawl)
Pictochat
Pokemon Stadium 1

Castle Siege
Lylat Cruise
Pokémon Stadium 2
Battleship Halberd
Delfino Plaza
Frigate Orpheon
Jungle Japes

Yoshi's island (pipes)
Rainbow Cruise
Luigi's mansion
Port town aero dive
Green greens
Distant planet
Norfair
Brinstar

So, even using an over the top liberal stage list, diddy kong has 6 stages he likes, 7 he is neutral towards, and 8 he hates. If I were to guess diddy kong would most frequently end up playing on a stage like PS2, Frigate, Halberd, or Lylat.

Using the unity ruleset I think diddy, falco, and ice climbers are all going to stay good characters, slightly worse than they are now, but still very good.

No...

I'm saying that the "benefit" of the match starting on a true neutral stage does not occur because that true neutral would not be played on, thus making the extra time expenditure over LLSSing (Limited list) not worth it.

Ideally? Best system, in theory. But if we knew enough about the game we'd just have a list of true neutrals by matchup and the striking wouldn't be necessary.
The true neutral of a match-up is subjective to the players involved. If a player simply is horrible when playing on brinstar, and has a strong hatred for the stage, even if he plays metaknight he won't do as well there as a stage he favors.

Regardless I don't see how using a system which is inherently less likely to reach the true neutral is any better.

AlphaZealot

Former Smashboards Owner
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
Diddy is really good on Mansion. His Up-B is one of the most damaging attacks in the game and Mansion is like the only stage you can consistently use it on.

fkacyan

Smash Hero
Most characters (even those who are generally less well rounded like the ice climbers) do better on more stages than we give them credit for. I will be using diddy kong for my example. Green stages are stages he likes, Light Blue are stages he is neutral towards, and Red are stages he hates.

Battlefield
Final Destination
Smashville
Yoshi's Island (Brawl)
Pictochat
Pokemon Stadium 1

Castle Siege
Lylat Cruise
Pokémon Stadium 2
Battleship Halberd
Delfino Plaza
Frigate Orpheon
Jungle Japes

Yoshi's island (pipes)
Rainbow Cruise
Luigi's mansion
Port town aero dive
Green greens
Distant planet
Norfair
Brinstar
BZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZT

You evaluate a stage based on the matchup being played, not based on how good your character is there overall. A character's overall best stage might not be their best for a particular matchup.

sunshade

Smash Ace
Diddy is really good on Mansion. His Up-B is one of the most damaging attacks in the game and Mansion is like the only stage you can consistently use it on.
I guess you really do learn something new everyday. I was unaware that diddy fond of mansion.

BZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZT

You evaluate a stage based on the matchup being played, not based on how good your character is there overall. A character's overall best stage might not be their best for a particular matchup.
Correct, but the intention of that list was to show that linear characters like diddy wouldn't get screwed as badly as people like to say they would in FLSS.

Raziek

Charging Limit All Day
NNID
Raziek
3DS FC
3866-8131-5247
Just for those who were curious, 30 is WAY over-estimating the number of stages I have legal.

We're currently using 21, 7 more than the current Unity Ruleset.

Starter:

Battlefield
Smashville
Yoshi’s Island (Brawl)
Lylat Cruise
Pokemon Stadium 1
Final Destination
Halberd
Castle Siege
Pokemon Stadium 2

Counterpick:

Delfino Plaza
Luigi's Mansion
Pirate Ship
Brinstar
Frigate Orpheon
Pictochat
Rainbow Cruise
Jungle Japes
Norfair
Green Greens
Distant Planet
Port Town Aero Dive

Additions include:

Luigi's Mansion
Pirate Ship
Jungle Japes
Norfair
Green Greens
Distant Planet
Port Town Aero Dive

Blacknight99923

Smash Champion
I'm not by any means an expert but doesn't diddy take 10 damage every time he up Bs into the ceiling? It just seems like it isn't always worth the trade off. At the same time my knowledge of diddy isn't anywhere near that of a respectable diddy main

Also pretty much agree with orions sentiment, and most people who are from regions who don't use those stages probably agree as well.

Orion*

Smash Researcher
yes. they are fun. and I will play them like that :D

the second it turns for money, its not fun at all. because its just play like a homo and hope the stage does all the work for you

#HBC | Red Ryu

Red Fox Warrior
NNID
RedRyu_Smash
3DS FC
0344-9312-3352
Is neutral where the match up is played with the least influence to favor either character or is it favored to a stage list where the more stage dynamic character should get an advantage?

Alphicans

Smash Hero
Luigi's Mansion - Ok, can be pretty homo.
Pirate Ship - Can be homo if you can rudder camp, but besides that, this stage is fun to play on. Not many other homo tactics
Jungle Japes - not homo unless you're vsing falco.
Norfair - Always a fun stage to play on. Planking isn't nearly as strong as people make it out to be, especially with an lgl.
Green Greens - Can be homo with the bombs and ****, but overall a good stage, and tests strategic positioning
Distant Planet - VERY HOMO. I'll give you this one.
Port Town Aero Dive - This stage is so much fun. If you're dumb and get hit by the cars, dying at like 60, then yeah this stage can be homo, but overall an enjoyable stage.

Just sayin'. These aren't all that bad.

Maharba the Mystic

Smash Master
Luigi's Mansion - Ok, can be pretty homo.
Pirate Ship - Can be homo if you can rudder camp, but besides that, this stage is fun to play on. Not many other homo tactics
Jungle Japes - not homo unless you're vsing falco.
Norfair - Always a fun stage to play on. Planking isn't nearly as strong as people make it out to be, especially with an lgl.
Green Greens - Can be homo with the bombs and ****, but overall a good stage, and tests strategic positioning
Distant Planet - VERY HOMO. I'll give you this one.
Port Town Aero Dive - This stage is so much fun. If you're dumb and get hit by the cars, dying at like 60, then yeah this stage can be homo, but overall an enjoyable stage.

Just sayin'. These aren't all that bad.
on a scale of 1-right, you are correct. yes you have exceeded the scale.

*throws down smoke and disapears*

Tesh

Smash Hero
http://youtu.be/yPxim3HxBnQ

4:55

what's this? :awesome:

see my comment on da vid
This should be consistent, considering they are on a timer. Any time someone puts you into that position you should be able to do with that Diddy Kong did. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NMRBuUffU8w almost right?
Out of curiosity, do people think Pictochat is worse for randomness than Green Greens? x.x
This is something I have been wondering about Green Greens. Every defender of Pictochat will claim that you should be able to plan for sudden appearances all over the stage with no warning, but when it comes to Green Greens, its unreasonable to prepare for sudden changes in TWO spots with an effect that should NEVER EVER kill below 120 with good DI. Green Greens is only slightly less predictable than YI:Brawl.

I don't think people will accept stages like Green Greens or YI:pipes or Distant Planet because of DDD though. And people thought MK killed diversity and depth.

T-block

B2B TST
I'm a defender of Pictochat, and I don't claim that =x

But yeah, I've definitely seen a lot of inconsistency when it comes to judging randomness (not from everyone, so don't jump on me for that statement).

Tesh

Smash Hero

But yeah, I've definitely seen a lot of inconsistency when it comes to judging randomness (not from everyone, so don't jump on me for that statement).
What could your stance on Pictochat possibly be if you don't maintain that the level of random is okay?

T-block

B2B TST
Every defender of Pictochat will claim that you should be able to plan for sudden appearances all over the stage with no warning
What could your stance on Pictochat possibly be if you don't maintain that the level of random is okay?
I never said that lol. You speaking with the assumption that "sudden appearances all over the stage with no warning" equates to randomness that is not "okay". My stance on Pictochat is that it lies within the acceptable limit of randomness, as determined by the precedent set in our treatment of other stages.

Tesh

Smash Hero
Ok, thats not subjective. Pictochat DOES have random events that occur everywhere and defenders of Pictochat feel that its okay.

Tarmogoyf

Smash Master
IMO, the problem is that picto is more random (than GGs), but usually doesn't have as big an effect as the randomness of GGs

But I absolutely despise GGs to the point that I can't be objective about it so...........

Tesh

Smash Hero
Yes... again, I don't see how that does not align with what I said.
You said you aren't one of "those" pictochat defenders. How can you not be? You either think that what the stage is fit or not fit for competitive play.

Also with decent DI, Green Greens won't really ever have an effect worse than what Pictochat can do. And if we factor in bad DI...well *points to vid of wario dying from a missle at 26%*. Green Greens random factor is also FAR more predictable as far as locations and effects. If you plan around the possibility of one random event there, you don't get screwed over by another like on Picto.

Top Bottom