• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Unhappy Thread

Takumaru

Smash Lord
I have a physical chemistry exam tomorrow and I'm just not feeling it. I've done all the studying my brain can handle, I just feel like I'm not quite ready for it. I hate this feeling.

ShroudedOne

Smash Hero
Premium
Try getting a girlfriend.

Edit: That sounds cynical. I mean it in a positive encouraging way.
=D No worries. I have no idea about how to even go about getting a girlfriend, nor have I ever had one. Not sure if I want to begin all that hassle, yet. Though it would be a change of pace, I guess.

Luigitoilet

shattering perfection
BRoomer
Don't beat yourself up over not having relationship experience. Contrary to what TV and mainstream society tell you, it's not a requisite to live a fulfilling life or anything. It's weird how readily people will say "you should have a girl/boyfriend! why don't you have a girl/boyfriend? aren't you sad? aren't you depressed?! aren't you lonely? etc"

Claire Diviner

President
NNID
ClaireDiviner
Don't beat yourself up over not having relationship experience. Contrary to what TV and mainstream society tell you, it's not a requisite to live a fulfilling life or anything. It's weird how readily people will say "you should have a girl/boyfriend! why don't you have a girl/boyfriend? aren't you sad? aren't you depressed?! aren't you lonely? etc"
Couldn't agree with you more. In fact, I've been in relationships myself, and from my experience, I would rather have time for myself and myself only, and not have to worry about the needs of some significant other. Will my view change? Maybe later on in life, but at 25 years of age, I honestly don't want any kind of commitment, and am happy with being single for now. Single, no kids... yeah, life is great when you can just go out and hang with friends whenever the hell you want. XD

I think I'll wait until I'm 35 at earliest before I decide I want to settle down...

ShroudedOne

Smash Hero
Premium
Thanks guys. I don't like it when people say that I "should" get a girlfriend, as if girlfriends are like hobbies you pick up to pass the time. That is certainly not true, and I don't want one for that reason. I would like to simply wait out my time, and live alone for a while, figuring myself out, without having to worry about anyone else. That being said, though, I would like one. It's one of those "I want one, but I don't" situations. I have to focus on myself first, though.

Cherished Doll

Smash Master
Thanks guys. I don't like it when people say that I "should" get a girlfriend, as if girlfriends are like hobbies you pick up to pass the time. That is certainly not true, and I don't want one for that reason. I would like to simply wait out my time, and live alone for a while, figuring myself out, without having to worry about anyone else. That being said, though, I would like one. It's one of those "I want one, but I don't" situations. I have to focus on myself first, though.
I totally agree

:phone:

kevo

Smash Journeyman
So I have a paper due at 8AM tomorrow morning. It's midnight. Let's get STARTED rather than surf Smashboards, shall we?

Teran

Through Fire, Justice is Served
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
This is so true.

I haven't actually been in a formal relationship for about 4 years, and these past couple years were probably better in terms of personal fulfilment than my relationship years.

I hate how if you're not in a relationship you're either a charity case for being ugly and a loser, or you're the antichrist for having casual encounters and not PUTTING YOURSELF OUT THERE EMOTIONALLY OMG.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, there are so many people I'd love to just line up and shoot.

ShroudedOne

Smash Hero
Premium
I've said it before and I'll say it again, there are so many people I'd love to just line up and shoot.
It sounds kinda harsh, but I won't lie, I feel the same way. But, as long as it's only over ideas, I try to remember that we all deserve to live. =) (sometimes)

Teran

Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
I don't think anyone deserves anything except to choose to do whatever they please, which of course extends to me being granted the choice of lining annoying people against a wall and spraying them with lead.

Strife

Banned via Warnings
=D No worries. I have no idea about how to even go about getting a girlfriend, nor have I ever had one. Not sure if I want to begin all that hassle, yet. Though it would be a change of pace, I guess.
Being 19 and not having any idea about how to get a girlfriend isn't too healthy man. Particularly if you don't know how to get laid either. But don't be discouraged, if you don't know how to do it then learn. You say that you feel empty and don't know how to change it, developing interpersonal romantic skills would be a pretty good option to help fix how you're feeling.

Edit: To everyone saying you don't need to be in a relationship to be fulfilled obviously that is true, but if you're already empty and you don't know how to break out of it, then getting into a relationship(especially if it's your first time) is a great way to gain some kind of self-satisfaction.

Pogogo

Smash Journeyman
That is the least helpful most condescending piece of advice ever.

Teran

Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
If you feel empty, you should try to find what it is that makes you feel like that. Nothing seems to excite you anymore, and that's perfectly normal, and your friend is also right about trying new things, but that is in itself very vague.

You could go out and just randomly try things, but rather than that, try to think of things you've always wanted to do, old goals you'd set for yourself but had never seen through. This is an odd bit of advice but personally I think it's one of the best; if you don't know how to play any instruments, learn to play one.

I honestly believe there is an instrument out there for everyone, and while yes at 19 you probably won't turn out to be the best of the best starting now, you'll certainly reach a more than adequate level of proficiency if you put your mind to it. Ultimately, you'll be playing for yourself, and honestly that's one of the greatest things to be able to do.

Music is therapeutic and it can convey/stir emotions very strongly. Being able to play songs yourself, and being able to add your own expression to the music is one of the best ways to fill a feeling of emptiness.

I felt pretty much completely bored and unexcitable for the past 2 years, turning to all kinds of somewhat questionable activities for novel excitement, but I picked my violin and piano back up recently, and it really helped to just play stuff with my own personal flair.

Just half an hour to an hour's practising a day, I mean with the time most of us spend on games or in a lot of people's cases here putting hours and hours into Smash, you could definitely find some more time to improve your skill at an instrument. You just have to experiment with a couple and see which one suits your natural abilities best.

One thing to note about piano though, is that it allows you to play much wider range of music that sounds robust, due to the many keys allowing for accompanying chords and general harmonicity.

ShroudedOne

Smash Hero
Premium
I have always wanted to play drums, or something. The only barrier would be that, as a college student, money for that kind of thing is hard to come by, for the moment. I've also wanted to talk early morning, or late night walks, for no other reason than to do so. Perhaps I'll start there.

I do like fooling around with a piano from time to time. I know that there is a public one in our student alumni building. Maybe I should frequent there more often. I've also tried playing acoustic guitar, for like, a half hour. I do know that playing an instrument broadens your scope of thought, I've just never been able to seriously do so. Or soccer. I could do that. There are a lot of things that I would kind of like to try.

Thanks Teran. I'll certainly keep this in mind. Trying new things with a bit of direction could be what I need.

Strife

Banned via Warnings
I have always wanted to play drums, or something. The only barrier would be that, as a college student, money for that kind of thing is hard to come by, for the moment. I've also wanted to talk early morning, or late night walks, for no other reason than to do so. Perhaps I'll start there.

I do like fooling around with a piano from time to time. I know that there is a public one in our student alumni building. Maybe I should frequent there more often. I've also tried playing acoustic guitar, for like, a half hour. I do know that playing an instrument broadens your scope of thought, I've just never been able to seriously do so. Or soccer. I could do that. There are a lot of things that I would kind of like to try.

Thanks Teran. I'll certainly keep this in mind. Trying new things with a bit of direction could be what I need.
Well if that doesn't work out for you, then get at those girls. You're gonna have to learn sometime bro!

My life: So it turns out Salie Mae wasn't interested in me, they've been trying to contact my mom(the loans they have for me don't need to get paid until January). When my mom signed the parent plus loans, I think she just assumed that I would be the one to pay those back, even though we never once agreed to that. I am really not in a position to start paying off those loans 3 months ahead of time, especially since I have other loans I'm gonna have to start paying back soon, along with my regular bills plus the fact that I don't make much money to begin with.

I'm gonna have to tell her to call them, and then the conversation she and I have after that is going to be very difficult and likely unpleasant. Life is rough!

Firus

You know what? I am good.
BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
So I was particularly missing somebody from back home last week, so I sent them a Facebook message just as a way of talking to them again (even if talking through text isn't half as good as talking in person). I got a response back, then I sent a message back asking if I could see them when I'm in town again for Fall Break.

See, my family (read: mother) has been dying to move for years now and decided to do so once I graduated high school, so our house has been on the market. We just got an offer and we'll probably be moving sometime in November. So on top of the fact that I'd really like to see them, there's also the fact that, come November, I'm going to have to travel hundreds of miles to see people again and I'd really like to see everyone possible before that.

I sent that message on Saturday, and my stomach's been pretty much on fire in anxiety waiting for a response since. Tonight I noticed that the person had done things on Facebook, so they clearly logged on, except no response. And it's been quite a while since I saw them online. So I'm not sure if I ****ed something up in my message or what, but for whatever reason they're not responding to me and they must've seen the message now.

And if that weren't bad enough, my friend keeps sending me stupid, arbitrary messages which -- for a split second -- make me think that maybe I got a response.

Today has just been a terrible day. **** everything.

Teran

Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
I learned that this Mark Andrews fellow really wants to punish my fingers with his piano arrangement of Gourmet Race :(

Strife

Banned via Warnings
Disappointed with myself today. I was so busy trying to finds ways to be productive at work, I forgot about all the other things I have to do in my life outside of work. But even that's not a valid excuse, I should have completed tomorrow. I hate having to wait until tomorrow to complete something.

SuperBowser

Smash Lord
Just looked at my timetable for the next 5 weeks. I'm supposed to hold my own clinics and see my own patients for several full days. I think I will be signing in, taking a history, examining and attempting diagnoses/management plans for over 50 people. I actually felt sick when I looked at the timetable. So not ready for this.

o.o

Strife

Banned via Warnings
I'm not sure what the **** I am going to do. I specifically intended to avoid this, but I ended up lying on my interview.

I told them I had a car! Right before this, I stated that I don't have a state drivers License, but they are likely under the impression that I can drive with my Trinidadian Drivers' License, which is also something I don't have. If they call me and tell me that they want to hire me, I'm gonna have to tell them that I won't be able to driver for about the next two months, as there is no point in me quitting my current job, if they're just going to fire me when they find out I am unable to drive at the moment.

*sighs* hoping and praying for the best.

Teran

Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
Lesson learned: Don't lie about things that can't be covered up.

Lying in an interview is pretty much what it's all about, but generally the lies should be kept on things they can't really find out you're lying about.

Ohwell.

Strife

Banned via Warnings
Lesson learned: Don't lie about things that can't be covered up.

Lying in an interview is pretty much what it's all about, but generally the lies should be kept on things they can't really find out you're lying about.

Ohwell.
I know. I knew that they wanted me to be able to drive, and I knew that I couldn't. I am scheduling my drivers' test now, so I wanted to lie just enough to get by. But I hesitated to clarify myself, and the conversation went so fast. And I just screwed up :urg:

Chronodiver Lokii

Chaotic Stupid
BRoomer
I'm supposed to be taking a computer literacy test right now. It's boring.

And my friend keeps threatening me with death.

ShroudedOne

Smash Hero
Premium
Apparently, the knowledge of getting laid. >.>

EDIT: Sometimes, my best friend (it feels like) just blows me off, as if she doesn't really care about what I have to say. It really f***ing pisses me off, tonight of all nights. I stayed up til 3:36 talking to her, to be talked down to.

UGH. God.

Strife

Banned via Warnings
Why? What is healthy?
Because remaining clueless about how to get girls is bad for your social development and getting laid is good, I don't see what there is to be confused about.

Apparently, the knowledge of getting laid. >.>

EDIT: Sometimes, my best friend (it feels like) just blows me off, as if she doesn't really care about what I have to say. It really f***ing pisses me off, tonight of all nights. I stayed up til 3:36 talking to her, to be talked down to.

UGH. God.
Hope you're not upset about what I've said, just trying to be helpful.

I've had a lot of the same issues with my friends in college, and I'm still having a few of them. Forgive me if it sounds like I'm presuming too much, I'm just going by what you've been saying on the boards recently

If your best friend has a habit of doing that then she is probably just not a rational person, and you may have to accept that you can't expect her to be rational. It's unfortunate but a looooot of women(I feel especially so with this generation) are sensitive, stubborn, combative and irrational, granted they have there moments when they are perfectly sensible, pleasant and fun people, but you're doing yourself a disservice if you think that's how they(/she is) are the majority of the time. I know you wish that she wasn't often so difficult, and I know it seems plausible, but you really can't change someone unless they want to be changed, and from what you've been saying about her it sounds that she doesn't want to be changed.

The best advice I could give you is to try and make some new friends in college, my issues with my best friends had me feeling really depressed until I made a new best frieds at college. That did wonders for my personal growth. Good luck!

ShroudedOne

Smash Hero
Premium
If anything, Strife, upset is the least thing I'd be. I will not deny that having a girlfriend increases social development. I just find it somewhat funny, cause you aren't the first person to tell me this, nor will you be the last. But I digress.

This'll sound like a hollow excuse, but I think I can attribute it in part to her being extremely tired last night. She's weird when she's tired. But she's shown on numerous occasions that she cares, and I cannot deny that. I still intend to talk to her about it, because I'm not sure she did it on purpose (it sure did anger me though, haha)

And thanks, Strife. Sometimes I raise my eyebrows at the things you say, but I appreciate it nonetheless. =)

Strife

Banned via Warnings
If anything, Strife, upset is the least thing I'd be. I will not deny that having a girlfriend increases social development. I just find it somewhat funny, cause you aren't the first person to tell me this, nor will you be the last. But I digress.

This'll sound like a hollow excuse, but I think I can attribute it in part to her being extremely tired last night. She's weird when she's tired. But she's shown on numerous occasions that she cares, and I cannot deny that. I still intend to talk to her about it, because I'm not sure she did it on purpose (it sure did anger me though, haha)

And thanks, Strife. Sometimes I raise my eyebrows at the things you say, but I appreciate it nonetheless. =)
Awww thanks. I get into a lot of disputes because I have strong views on a lot of things, and I'll speak them without regard for who is offended. My intentions are all good though.

Anyways I am unhappy. It turns out that the problem with laptop is hardrive issue, and my IT guy doesn't think that he can fix that. This just sucks balls, it's gonna cost me a lot of money for em to fix it and my financial situation already sucks :c

Edit: So it's official, my laptop is screwed and can't work at all without a new hardrive anymore. This sucks soooo bad, I was so excited about studying my drivers license manual over the weekend, and that's going to be near impossible for me without a computer. Things are just not working out for me right now :(

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I'm a lot older than 19 and don't know how to get a girlfriend

Luigitoilet

shattering perfection
BRoomer
A girlfriend is not a accessory. I think looking at it as "I need a girlfriend" is more unhealthy than simply being alone. What you should be looking for is someone who you would want to be with. Why get a girlfriend just to do it? Because Strife says that's healthy?

I have willfully avoided relationships since like 10th grade. It's simply not that big of a priority to me and I have yet to find someone I would want to live with, let alone be chained to. Getting a girlfriend isn't that hard in itself, if that's all you care about. If you care about an actual romantic relationship with someone you love being with, that's a different story.

Top Bottom