• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Unhappy Thread

BSP

Smash Legend
s

Same here.

I absolutely despise sentences that are like the one you gave an example of. They smear the walls of Facebook, and plague Youtube like there's no tomorrow.

When people type like that, I read the sentence aloud and I realise how bloody ******** it sounds.

I especially hate it when people type "u"/"ur"/"you're" instead of "your".
It makes me read sentences like "ooo are cool"/"urrr cat ran away?"/"you are brother is so cool".
English Teachers aren't lying when they say how you write influences peoples' opinion of you.

You're and your mixups get me the most. It's not hard to remember >_>

Merkuri

Smash Lord
So apparently there is nothing I can do to minimize the loan waiting process, my only option would be talk to my school's financial aid and ask them to lift my hold once they can verify that my loan is in fact coming through. And I'll pray that works.

I still have no idea when my aunt is going to send me back to my school to be homeless :(. I'm currently trying to do a lot of work out of the house, stay out of her away and be as charming as possible so that she will keep me here for a longer time.

Mota

"The snake, knowing itself, strikes swiftly"
I know siblings are made to annoy each other, but still...some are just downright selfish, inconsiderate and stupid.

Dre89

Smash Hero
NNID
Dre4789
This has been bothering me lately. This is the OP I made in a thread in the Proving Grounds of the Debate Hall, but I want opinions on it, and posting it here will get it more exposure, and it is legitimitely bothering me-

I've been pondering whether the question "how can you know anything? is self-refuting. Essentially, the question functions as a rejection of logic. However, for the statement to have any merit, logic must exist, for the statement must be logical.

Any argument against logic will inevitably entail such logic. The question itself is a logical statement, yet serves to reject logic. If logic is faulty, then so is the sentence itself, and so is the conclusion, because that is derived logically.

Just some thoughts. I want to know what you guys think.
Certainly something I want the likes of DTP and CK to expand upon.

Crimson King

I am become death
BRoomer
I'e been avoiding the Proving Grounds solely because I'd like others to make their own assumptions without piggybacking on mine/having DHers argue with me instead, but I'll give it a go.

I'm really bummed because today was the first full day after the Christmas/New Years weeks, which would mark almost two weeks since I told a prospective employer about my health issues, (I mentioned this, but for brevity, I told a guy who offered me a job, after modifying it for me, that I had a few issues that I was dealing with on the side) and he had said he'd think on it. A week after, I said all the major issues resolved themselves, and my disclosure was to show openness. He hasn't contacted me. I figured it was due to being another vacation week, but it looks like he just lost interest. This job would have been great too. Do I call or just let it go?

DTP

L o s t - in reality~
This has been bothering me lately. This is the OP I made in a thread in the Proving Grounds of the Debate Hall, but I want opinions on it, and posting it here will get it more exposure, and it is legitimitely bothering me-

Me? Really? lol
I'm kinda flattered haha
I do not have any internet atm though. I moved on the 29th and haven't got cable/phone/Internet set up yet and so here I am typing on my phone.

I'll be sure to check it out though.

Luigitoilet

shattering perfection
BRoomer

How is a question also a statement? Sorry, but that quote says a whole lot of nothing to me.

deepseadiva

Bodybuilding Magical Girl
3DS FC
1779-0766-2622
So apparently there is nothing I can do to minimize the loan waiting process, my only option would be talk to my school's financial aid and ask them to lift my hold once they can verify that my loan is in fact coming through. And I'll pray that works.

I still have no idea when my aunt is going to send me back to my school to be homeless :(. I'm currently trying to do a lot of work out of the house, stay out of her away and be as charming as possible so that she will keep me here for a longer time.
Just called my school. They told me everything should be payed on the 7th - which is two days passed my payment agreement, but they said they won't drop my classes!

Everything should work. Now for another week of ignoring my problems! :D :D :D

I advise the same. It sounds kinda like suppression, but I feel if you can't directly influence something, there's no point in wallowing in the negativity. Like you said on New Years, "enjoy tonight". That's my plan.

Your relationship with your aunt sounds... Dursley-ish. You can't talk to her?

Dre89

Smash Hero
NNID
Dre4789
How is a question also a statement? Sorry, but that quote says a whole lot of nothing to me.
Because the surpressed conclusion is that you can't know anything.

For example, atheists will say "if good is God, why are millions of people starving in Africa?". It's in question format, but it is implied that God's omnibenevolence is incompatible with mass starvation, making it an argument.

Merkuri

Smash Lord
Just called my school. They told me everything should be payed on the 7th - which is two days passed my payment agreement, but they said they won't drop my classes!

Everything should work. Now for another week of ignoring my problems! :D :D :D

I advise the same. It sounds kinda like suppression, but I feel if you can't directly influence something, there's no point in wallowing in the negativity. Like you said on New Years, "enjoy tonight". That's my plan.

Your relationship with your aunt sounds... Dursley-ish. You can't talk to her?
I'm happy things worked out for you.

Well I'm not sure exactly what I can and cannot change at this point. If I am unable to change anything here then things aren't going to work well for me. Therefore I have to keep trying.

There really isn't much talking to Aunt Hitler, whatever she says goes. I just have to please her for as long as possible. I'm not worried about being homeless for a while so much as I'm worried about classes starting and me not having a dorm space on campus.

Dre89

Smash Hero
NNID
Dre4789
True enough, but can you elaborate on the point of that post? What are you saying, and how is something like that bothering you?
I'm puzzled as to whether my deduction is right or wrong.

I basically argued that the rejection of all logic itself entails logic, refuting itself. I'm not sure whether my argument is right or not, and I wanted to know what other people thought of it.

Luigitoilet

shattering perfection
BRoomer
I don't believe "how can you know anything?" is a refutation of logic itself. I suppose it depends on what exactly you mean by "knowing", though. Is it scientific knowledge? Religious or philosphical belief? Political?

Merkuri

Smash Lord
I couldn't get through to my schools' financial aid office today. I'm gonna set my alarm for 8:AM tomorrow so I can try and catch them in the morning.

Dre89

Smash Hero
NNID
Dre4789
I don't believe "how can you know anything?" is a refutation of logic itself. I suppose it depends on what exactly you mean by "knowing", though. Is it scientific knowledge? Religious or philosphical belief? Political?
I'm talking about fundamental metaphysical assumptions, like that other minds exist, that our perception of the external world correlates to reality, that there is a world outside the mind etc.

Such a skepticism entails a rejection of logic, which is where the issue is for me, as for the skepticism to be of merit, it must be logically sound.

deepseadiva

Bodybuilding Magical Girl
3DS FC
1779-0766-2622
I'm talking about fundamental metaphysical assumptions, like that other minds exist, that our perception of the external world correlates to reality, that there is a world outside the mind etc.

Such a skepticism entails a rejection of logic, which is where the issue is for me, as for the skepticism to be of merit, it must be logically sound.
Omg, Dre, you are like my least favorite poster.

Not to say what you say is invalid or anything. It's just the posting still is just so... ugh.

:urg:

Luigitoilet

shattering perfection
BRoomer
My problem with Dre is that he comes across as a Philosophy 101 freshman and, instead of actual conversational substance, he just spouts a stream of near-meaningless buzzwords in an effort to make himself appear enlightened and intelligent.

It's just very insincere and robotic posting.

Dre89

Smash Hero
NNID
Dre4789
If you saw my posts in the DH, you'd know I'm the first to concede ignorance, and to say that I, and most people my age, are not authoratative enough on the issues we debate to preach to other people.

I'm also too under-read to consider myself a philosophy guru.

Most male philosophy students do think that they're the chosen one though, yet ironically that mentality makes them just like everyone else. I make a conscious effort to avoid falling into that psychological trap.

That's why months ago when Mewter said my theory on God nearly converted him from atheism to deism, I decided to not pursue such a conversion of him, because I'd rather promote general intellectual freedom and awareness than conform others to my personal beliefs.

So because my issue is abstract, it's not legitimate? I posted it because it was bugging me and I wanted the opinions of others, and I knew there were intelligent people in this thread.

Even CK, who despises nearly every post I make had no issue with this one.

Seriously LT, I've done nothing to you yet you constantly stereotype me, and I'm sick of people constantly playing the snobby elitist card at anything they don't quite fully grasp.

Ironically, I just mentioned things that bothered me.

Luigitoilet

shattering perfection
BRoomer
I'm not attacking you as a person. I judge things on a post-by-post basis. I also have never been in the Debate Hall in my entire time on this site. It's just personally that's how I feel you come across with posts like these. Don't get me wrong, you are free to post whatever things that bug you, just as I am. I just find it hard to believe that vague logical quandaries like the one you brought up have any true emotional weight, or are things that keep you up at night. I realize all people are different but it just makes you come across as a soulless intellectual with your constant logos, when put next to the majority of the thread who post about things that are quite personal.

I'm not trying to discourage you in any way from posting, it's just disconcerting to me.

Dre89

Smash Hero
NNID
Dre4789
This issue specifically doesn't have any emotional weight, (perhaps except frustration, if that's considered an emotion) but you'd be surprised at the stuff I think about most of the time, and the frequency of thoughts that swim through my head. I've been told I analyse and think too much.

I'm not some robot who ignores emotion. I intend to be totally rational, but I think ignoring emotions is irrational, therefore total rationality entails embracing emotions (in moderation of course).

The reason why I post issues such as these, as opposed to every-day personal ones, is because I am interested in stimulating conversation and people's brain cells, not just posting a personal issue which is of little interest to other people, and serves little more than to draw attention myself. It's also a nice escape for people who want to steer away from the day-to-day-drag every once in a while.

For example, you'll notice all my display pictures have some practical purpose. Either they indicate who I main, a picture of myself to show what I look like, a visual puzzle, or an optial illusion to intrigue people. My intention is that the majority of my actions on this site serve some form of practical purpose to other purpose, however insignificant, rather than just a means of self-gratification (eg. trolling, pointless elitist behaviour etc.).

But yeah, there's no hard feelings between us.

Crimson King

I am become death
BRoomer
I have the stomach flu. So yet another missed day of work, and there was definitely a point I was sure I wasn't going to make it last night. I vomited up water and medication at one point and kept throwing up stomach acid. FML.

Also, I called the guy yesterday who offered me a job, no answer, so I left a voicemail. No reply. I guess that's dead.

Merkuri

Smash Lord
Ok so the latest set of difficulties/complications is that the person who does the loan certification at my school's financial aid is out until Thursday, I'm gonna call the Financial aid office again, explain my situation and see if there is some way we can get the loan certified without that employee's help. If complications like this keep arising however it's possible that I may not be able to register for classes until the last day to register for classes has already passed.

The people who I took the loan out from called me telling me that some information needs to be verified, my phone shut off before I they could entire explain the process, but this could turn badly. Also my hospital called asking about my insurance, as of right now I don't think I have any insurance, since I'm not yet enrolled in the coming semester and my insurance is given to me by the school. I don't even know why the hospital is calling me now since I haven't contacted them in like 4 months, it's likely that my aunt may have tried to schedule an appointment for me which sucks, she says it's my problem to deal with so she should let me deal with it.

Oh well, now I have to attempt to solve these problems.

Pikaville

Pikaville returns 10 years later.
I have the stomach flu. So yet another missed day of work, and there was definitely a point I was sure I wasn't going to make it last night. I vomited up water and medication at one point and kept throwing up stomach acid. FML.

Also, I called the guy yesterday who offered me a job, no answer, so I left a voicemail. No reply. I guess that's dead.
The worst is when you get that and then continue dry retching for hours.

You actually feel like your dying.

Merkuri

Smash Lord
Well I think I've done all I can for now. Apparently the loan people don't need any additional information from me. I still couldn't call through to the financial aid department but I did e-mail them explaining my situation and how I need to loan to be accredited to me asap. I'll call them again later, but I doubt I'll get through. In the meantime I guess I'll try to enjoy myself and fill out some graduate admission applications.

Crimson King

I am become death
BRoomer
Finally feeling better. Wife caught it, and she too is in recovery. I think a friend who visited us has it now.

Also, another restaurant we like burned. This is like the third in a year but the second in a month.

mzink*

Smash Ace
mmmmghflshnmuh..
16 hour car ride..not good for spine..meeeaaaaaggghh.
I can't move.

Ok done whining.

Nope not quite done yet. Aaaaaaauuugh.
Ok now I'm good.

Kanelol

Smash Lord
I feel like I go through life in two different modes. An auto-pilot and a genuine mode. In one, I'm completely unaware of what's happening around me or what I'm feeling or thinking about it. In the other, I completely give myself over to the moment and actually experience the world around me.

I just wish I could pick. Automaton or full conscious human being. Instead, I exist in an incessant state of flux. My mindless droning life is interrupted by occasional moments of shocking clarity, which only serve to contrast the injustice of it all.

What injustice am I referring to, you may ask. The injustice that I have to pick. The injustice that some cruel twist of fate has turned the very gift of our human existence into another quantifiable commodity to be bargained with. Your entire life has been nothing but the result of people manipulating you to do things that may or may not indirectly benefit them.

You trade away hours, days, weeks, years, even decades of your very existence that you'll never get back, all because you think that it means that at some point you'll truly live the way you want to. Every second you spend in a place you don't want to be, doing something you don't want to do, is another second you'll never ever get back. Another second you've spent on auto-pilot, when you could have been genuinely experiencing something. Anything. It really doesn't matter what.

Society has blinded us. Throwing around flashy, and ultimately meaningless words and concepts like "Investment in one's future" and "Self Discipline" in order to keep some kind of sick choke hold on our freedom. We don't live our lives anymore, we fritter them away because someone else has told us that it'll pay off in the future.

I want you to hear me as clearly as possible on this. **** all that ****. Don't be turned into another cog in the machine. Life should be a never ending moment, a barrage of sheer sensory delight, a quest to fully live each and every single second we're blessed with. Instead, we have this. Whatever it is.

I apologize for the slight rant, this whole idea has just been weighing heavily on my mind as of late.

Claire Diviner

President
NNID
ClaireDiviner
@Kanelol: I understand how that feels, as I go through it all the time. Sometimes, I feel I should just accept it and "wing it", seeing as there really isn't much I can do about it. It's because of this, I have problems paying attention and following storylines of my favorite video games! D:

Also, don't worry about the "slight rant". So as long as it isn't flaming anyone, that's what the room is for... at least I'm sure it's for ranting and getting things off one's chest.

Rubyiris

Smash Hero
Sup guise, I'm deaf in my left ear now.

**** sucks. Took me about 4 days to relearn how to walk. Music isn't enjoyable for me anymore, and it was the single most enjoyable thing in my life beforehand. =\

Teran

Through Fire, Justice is Served
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
I'm pretty much deaf in my right ear thanks to sugery fail.

You'll get used to it, but I would recommend getting some nice speakers instead of listening through headphones when on your PC, you don't notice the lack of balance in the channels so much.

Rubyiris

Smash Hero
I'm pretty much deaf in my right ear thanks to sugery fail.

You'll get used to it, but I would recommend getting some nice speakers instead of listening through headphones when on your PC, you don't notice the lack of balance in the channels so much.
I don't have a PC lol. I just have a mediocre laptop atm.

I don't drive so I walk/bike/take the bus a lot, and I'm always listening to music. :(

How did you become deaf in your left ear?
Ear infection. I don't have money/insurance so either I get lucky and it goes away on its own, or I lose all hearing in my left ear. It's been 2 weeks since it got infected, so I'm kinda assuming it's the latter lol.

the bright side to this is that it's easier to go to sleep now. i have very loud roommates so I can just bury my working ear into my pillow and suddenly I don't hear them anymore. :D

Crimson King

I am become death
BRoomer
You should really get that fixed. I know sinus infections can pass to the brain and kill you, so I assume the ear infection would be bad to go untreated.

Teran

Through Fire, Justice is Served
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
I spend most of my time with headphones in tbh, but that's just from being used to it for so many years.

My left ear is far stronger obv, but it feels fine when I listen with headphones, the levels feel natural now.

So basically just wait it our and you'll adjust eventually.

Rubyiris

Smash Hero
You should really get that fixed. I know sinus infections can pass to the brain and kill you, so I assume the ear infection would be bad to go untreated.
I don't really have the means available to me currently. I tried to get access but due to my current living arrangements, i don't have the necessary information to actually get it.

Top Bottom