• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Unhappy Thread

Master Xanthan

Smash Champion
I got a philosophy and a sociology exam this week. Last week I had a Psychology exam and an essay in english. While I did very well on the Psychology exam and the essay. I'm just stressed because of the 2 exams this week. Luckily I get spring break soon. Which is really what I need right now. A break, a break with no homework, no projects, no nothing, no obligations, just a few days where I don't have to worry about anything and I can do what I want.

Edit: @ Dragoon Fighter, I'm sorry about your great grandmother, I'll keep her in my prayers.

Nicknyte

Smash Lord
Happy thread OP well wishes your Great G-ma. Loss hurts, but if worse comes to worse. Celebrate her passing with music and joy. Remember the good times. I'd want that if I was in such a position.

Xianglian

Smash Journeyman
This is so silly, I'm unhappy that people are stubborn and can't have a progressive mindset. I'm unhappy that I am a social outcast just because of the way I look.

Teran

Through Fire, Justice is Served
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
Do you have a lot of piercings or something?

Pluvia

Hates Semicolons<br>;
Maybe he has a face tattoo.

Anyway, sound in my left ear feels slightly muffled and I know if I pop it it'll be ok but I can't get it to pop no matter what I do. It's so annoying.

Dre89

Smash Hero
NNID
Dre4789
This is so silly, I'm unhappy that people are stubborn and can't have a progressive mindset. I'm unhappy that I am a social outcast just because of the way I look.
There's only one person in this thread who has a particularly stubborn mindset.

Societies will always be close-minded though. No societies are collectively open-minded.

Also, things must be different where you live, because where I live, most people deliberately try and be different, making them the same as those who conform to the culture.

Luigitoilet

shattering perfection
BRoomer
People who worry so much about conforming and stuff like selling out are weird. Who cares about that stuff past like 16? No offense meant, maybe you're 16.

anyways. I woke up today with an utter emptiness.

I dreamt I had a party with all of the friends in my life and I couldn't remember any of it. So I dreamed about trying to remember something. It made me feel very cold and empty when I woke up.

Grandeza

Smash Master
most people deliberately try and be different, making them the same as those who conform to the culture.
I disagree. There are many ways you can "try to be different" but not so many ways to conform. So being non-conformist doesn't make you like everyone else even if everyone is non-conformist with you since you are unlikely to all non-conform to the same things. If that makes sense =\

But more on topic:

I'm unhappy because school is getting so much harder and my parents have such high expectations. It just gets me so stressed out D:

Gatlin

cactus in the valley that's about to crumble down.
Brace tightening tomorrow, looking forward to not being able to eat for another week :/

deepseadiva

Bodybuilding Magical Girl
3DS FC
1779-0766-2622
I am unhappy there is no sad face thread icon yet.

Luigitoilet

shattering perfection
BRoomer
I disagree. There are many ways you can "try to be different" but not so many ways to conform. So being non-conformist doesn't make you like everyone else even if everyone is non-conformist with you since you are unlikely to all non-conform to the same things. If that makes sense =\

But more on topic:

I'm unhappy because school is getting so much harder and my parents have such high expectations. It just gets me so stressed out D:
I don't think that's what Dre means. It means some people feel so passionate about "going against the norm" or being part of a "counterculture" that they attach themselves to a sub-culture without even realizing it. This is what people refer to when they say "hipster". A person who prides themselves on being alternative and non-mainstream, but then you realize there are millions of these same exact people everywhere.

Gatlin

I don't think that's what Dre means. It means some people feel so passionate about "going against the norm" or being part of a "counterculture" that they attach themselves to a sub-culture without even realizing it. This is what people refer to when they say "hipster". A person who prides themselves on being alternative and non-mainstream, but then you realize there are millions of these same exact people everywhere.

Hah, I was going to say "That is what you call a hipster" until I saw you said it already :p

But! Wouldn't so many people trying to be different actually become the mainstream and their whole plan of being unique would be a failure!?

Pluvia

Hates Semicolons<br>;
Like LT said, I don't think anyone really cares about trying to be different after 16. Some people stop caring even before then.

Dre89

Smash Hero
NNID
Dre4789

But more on topic:

The thing is, if you think being different from the crowd is as shallow as wearing alternate clothing, having an uncommon assortment of interests, and listening to non-mainstream music, then you (not you specifically, you get what I mean) are just like everyone else.

Being truly different is far more fundamental than that, it's more about your mindset and the way you think. I see so many people think they're so different, then all go out on a Saturday night, doing exactly what is expected of a youth. That's just one example. Also, most people who think they're different generally have beliefs and attitudes reflective of the time, usually a result of the media's influence, so they're not really that different to everyone else.

Furthermore, most people who claim/want to be different only try to do it a certain extent; to the point where they are alternate enough to be considered by teenagers as unique and/or interesting, but they don't aim to be fundamentally different enough to the point where they are disliked for being strange/odd/wierd/creepy etc.

If you actually want to be different, it's most likely you're the same as everyone else, because you're thinking is so similar to everyone else's that you don't want it to change. I imagine that the truly different people at times envy the normal people, because of how different and out of whack their thinking really is.

What's also funny is that if I ever tell someone who thinks their different that they're not, they always snap back with "well what makes you think you're so different? You're just like everyone else!". That shows just how common their thinking is, because they assume that I'm actually trying to be, or care about being different.

Edit: LT you're spot on. Conforming and deliberately rebelling against a culture are both reactions to the culture, either way you are being molded in some way by the culture. And whilst most people do get over it at 16, you do still see a lot of 20+s. I always tell my female friends that a guy wearing a top-hat and a vest is the classic sign of a guy trying to be different.

Teran

Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
Like LT said, I don't think anyone really cares about trying to be different after 16. Some people stop caring even before then.
I think the only annoying thing is when you just do something because you genuinely like the idea, and people tell you you're trying to be different.

That's possibly the gayest thing ever. Like wtf, I'm not being contentious in any way what's your problem? :x

Pluvia

Hates Semicolons<br>;
Edit: LT you're spot on. Conforming and deliberately rebelling against a culture are both reactions to the culture, either way you are being molded in some way by the culture. And whilst most people do get over it at 16, you do still see a lot of 20+s. I always tell my female friends that a guy wearing a top-hat and a vest is the classic sign of a guy trying to be different.
Ironically I'm thinking about wearing a trilby hat for the sole reason on making myself stand out less. I have fluffy curly hair and that makes me stand out a lot where I'm from. Everyone loves it but it bores me so I'm going to try wearing a hat to cover my hair so I'm not so different.

Edit:

I think the only annoying thing is when you just do something because you genuinely like the idea, and people tell you you're trying to be different.

That's possibly the gayest thing ever. Like wtf, I'm not being contentious in any way what's your problem? :x
You should see what it's like when a group of your friends are non-conformists. What's that? Seemingly everyone I know is talking about how excited they are that this obscure band are coming to gig near us? I've never heard of them so that somehow makes me gay. What's that? Half of you have ear tunnels and another quarter want them? Well I don't so that somehow makes me gay. People worry too much about conformity. Just like what you like, who cares if it's super mainstream or incredibly obscure.

Also I'm really tired and I think I might be rambling

Teran

Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
Have you tried straightening it?

Pluvia

Hates Semicolons<br>;
Yeah, but it doesn't go down like you'd expect, instead it goes out and kind of floats there. Basically imagine an afro hair style but straight and wispy rather than thick and curly. Plus any moisture reverts it back to curls. That includes hair gel or heck even general moisture outside. And seeing as though this is Scotland, general moisture is a given.

Pretty much my choices are buzz cut, short and curly, or hat. So I think I'm going to go with the Bruno Mars look:

Dre89

Smash Hero
NNID
Dre4789

Yes but everyone who thinks they're different doesn't admit, or even consciously realise what their motive is.

The gangster who wears his hat side-ways isn't going to openly say "I wear my hat side-ways because all the cool people do and I want to be accepted by them" just as the extrovert who spends alot of money isn't going to say "I have this attitude because the media encourages me to be like this to get me to spend more money".

Take the top-hat, the classic unique-wannabe accessory. The top-hatter (or whatever you call it) saying he doesn't do it to be different means nothing, because that's what every top-hatter would say. Besides, they probably wouldn't wear it if it was the main-stream look anyway.

Teran

Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
Well all I say is do what you want and be happy with it.

Honestly everything about me can be pulled out of a typical personality category or whatever, but hey it's the way all the different aspects of your personality and likes mix together that makes someone unique.

It's like with a set of numbers. You can arrange a bunch of digits in a huge number of ways to come up with different combinations, even though the components stay the same. :3

Dre89

Smash Hero
NNID
Dre4789
Well all I say is do what you want and be happy with it.

Honestly everything about me can be pulled out of a typical personality category or whatever, but hey it's the way all the different aspects of your personality and likes mix together that makes someone unique.

It's like with a set of numbers. You can arrange a bunch of digits in a huge number of ways to come up with different combinations, even though the components stay the same. :3
Exactly, the components are still the same, meaning none of them are truly different.

Of course everyone is special in their own way bla bla bla, but the point is most people who stand out from the crowd are just another assortment of numbers, they're not funamentally different, like the people who are an assortment of letters instead.

Lore

Infinite Gravity
BRoomer
I consider myself different because of some personal beliefs and general taste differences (among, of course, deeply personal reasons), but oh god, I'm not going to lie; I hate being different at times. Most hipsters really get on my nerves because in all honesty, never being really accepted sucks really, REALLY badly. Trust me, I know from experience.

But that's not why I'm in here today. I'm in here because I just realized that today was an extremely close friend's birthday.

The problem? He died last July in a car accident.

Damn it, I really feel like **** both for forgetting the bday and the sheer fact that he's been ****ing dead for more than 6 months now. ****.

I have a lot more to the story, but I'll save that for a blog.

Gatlin

Very sorry to hear that Werekill, I can't relate to how you must be feeling, but I hope you feel better, really. :(

Top Bottom