• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Unhappy Thread

Luigitoilet

shattering perfection
BRoomer
Froggy, read this. I would tell Falcon to read it as well but he's too much of an internet bad boy to care

http://iamtransgendered.com/Etiquette.aspx

That can't be right.

Why couldn't you be transexual and not transgendered? Wouldn't people who are transsexual and not transgendered take offense to this term transgendered? It seems to me that calling someone transgendered is making just as much an assumption as transsexual.
Transexualism is a "subset" and a specific condition that is under the greater umbrella of transgenderism. There are indeed transsexual people who object to being considered transgender. The big difference, in my learning, seems to be that transgender is a blanket term for someone who does not identify with societal gender roles and transsexual is specifically those who undergo genital surgery. I could not tell you why transsexual people would object to being considered transgender as I personally don't know how you could be transsexual without being transgender, but that's out of my depth.

It's a very sticky and storied subject, and even after reading quite a bit about trans communities and culture is something that I myself do not feel comfortable arguing over because I could never really know what I'm talking about. You might want to practice such humility. I could be misreading you by this point and maybe you really are just curious and want to learn about it. Trans people have had an interesting history and a fascinating culture, but anyone who knows even a little about it knows that the vocabulary around the subject is very shaky and controversial. It's exemplified by the sheer amount of qualifiers and terminologies

http://ts-si.org/content/view/1409/995/

my point is basically that you kinda gotta walk on eggshells when talking to these people. I'm sure many would not take offense to "transsexual", but to have specific trans people in this very thread taking offense to it, and having people fight to defend use of the word anyways is pretty jerkish. the whole "free speech" defense is weaksauce. not pointing fingers here, but it's always the way these conversations go.

Falconv1.0

Smash Master
my point is basically that you kinda gotta walk on eggshells when talking to these people.
This sounds like it would be offensive if said about literally just about any other group.

We can't just be ourselves, we have to BE EXTRA THUPER DUPER CAREFUL too? The **** kind of a culture does that create? There's a pretty huge difference between tolerance/respect and flat out saying **** like that.

Luigitoilet

shattering perfection
BRoomer
well, I am never just myself to any person I talk to. I don't think politeness is some self-expression restricting Big Brother free-speech killing concept. Practicing ettiquette does not make someone a sheep, if that's what you are implying. It helps to make social interaction a little more bearable and sometimes even pleasant. I personally would rather not antagonize people for literally no gain. I'm over that I think. Well, mostly :p

I would "walk on eggshells" around a black person if I was someone prone to using racial slurs or if I did not grow up with black people and wasn't vaguely familiar with the culture. The difference is that most people do not extend this etiquette to someone they know is transgender the same way they would for a racial minority, or even a gay or lesbian person. A big reason for this is because most people are more ignorant to trans culture and aren't familiar enough with the restrictive and confusing vocabulary to know not to use certain terms. There's nothing wrong with that in itself, but my eggshells comment was implying that trans people occupy an even more segmented minority than say, a black male does. The general population is at least vaguely familiar with the Civil Rights Movement and slavery and Black History Month and etc etc. but how many of those people know about the Stonewall riots, let alone anything about trans culture specifically? I think walking on eggshells when you barely have a frame of reference regarding a topic is a good idea. It's called social tact. This isn't the Third Reich here buddy

Saying "transsexual" is not as bad as calling someone a shemale or "it", but it's still a pretty ignorant to say, and I think that waving your ignorance around like a badge of honor once someone calls you out is quite unappealing. You can paint my argument to look like a advocacy for censorship all you want, but all I'm saying is that defending and weakly debating the use of the word in the face of people who know what they are talking about makes you a douche.

Froggy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3110-7430-0100
Froggy, read this. I would tell Falcon to read it as well but he's too much of an internet bad boy to care

http://iamtransgendered.com/Etiquette.aspx

Transexualism is a "subset" and a specific condition that is under the greater umbrella of transgenderism. There are indeed transsexual people who object to being considered transgender. The big difference, in my learning, seems to be that transgender is a blanket term for someone who does not identify with societal gender roles and transsexual is specifically those who undergo genital surgery. I could not tell you why transsexual people would object to being considered transgender as I personally don't know how you could be transsexual without being transgender, but that's out of my depth.

It's a very sticky and storied subject, and even after reading quite a bit about trans communities and culture is something that I myself do not feel comfortable arguing over because I could never really know what I'm talking about. You might want to practice such humility. I could be misreading you by this point and maybe you really are just curious and want to learn about it. Trans people have had an interesting history and a fascinating culture, but anyone who knows even a little about it knows that the vocabulary around the subject is very shaky and controversial. It's exemplified by the sheer amount of qualifiers and terminologies

http://ts-si.org/content/view/1409/995/

my point is basically that you kinda gotta walk on eggshells when talking to these people. I'm sure many would not take offense to "transsexual", but to have specific trans people in this very thread taking offense to it, and having people fight to defend use of the word anyways is pretty jerkish. the whole "free speech" defense is weaksauce. not pointing fingers here, but it's always the way these conversations go.
Well that's an interesting read.

It seems to contradict the transgendered philosophy that sexuality and gendered aren't related, if all transsexuals are transgendered then it means gender and sexuality are inextricably linked, I really do wish they would quit saying. Anyways I'll keep all that in mind, thanks for the lesson.

I just realize that my goal to show I'm the faster digitizer at work may be in vein. A part of the Quality Assessment process is reconnecting all of the data you've created, in which case the data tracker will register all the data reconnected as data you just created, I could be incorrect and the way our supervisor keeps track of our productivity is more complicated than this, but as far as I understand this is how it works.

Froggy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3110-7430-0100
I am so not feeling work today, the extreme enthusiasm I had this week is just replaced with discontentment. I can't wait for the week to be done but there really isn't anything to look forward to over the weekend. I'm having another one of those "What am I doing here?" episodes.

KRDsonic

Smash Master
I just looked through files on my laptop and remembered a had a few audio files saved. Basically, once it got to the point where after I knew my mom wasn't going to make it, there were a few times where I would be using my laptop, and then I'd just open windows sound recorder and click record, just so I'd never forget what my mom's voice sounded like. I just listened to one of those files right now and almost broke down because of how much I miss her right now, and I know that these audio recordings are all I can ever hear of her again. I hear her voice and want to talk to her but I know I can't.

I don't even know what's been keeping me going these past three months.

:059:

Jasou

Smash Ace
I just looked through files on my laptop and remembered a had a few audio files saved. Basically, once it got to the point where after I knew my mom wasn't going to make it, there were a few times where I would be using my laptop, and then I'd just open windows sound recorder and click record, just so I'd never forget what my mom's voice sounded like. I just listened to one of those files right now and almost broke down because of how much I miss her right now, and I know that these audio recordings are all I can ever hear of her again. I hear her voice and want to talk to her but I know I can't.

I don't even know what's been keeping me going these past three months.

:( I'm sorry about that. You have to remember that she wouldn't want you to be sad.

#HBC | Acrostic

♖♘♗♔♕♗♘♖
I too had problems dealing with those who had late night affairs, that is until I told them to get a roomba !!

Now everyone has time to do whatever the **** they want.

Chronodiver Lokii

Chaotic Stupid
BRoomer
I was up til 2am TALKING WITH YOU.

>:[
Well maybe you should NOT DO THAT! Derrrrrp

I was awake cuz i had a noon class and staying up til 5 is easy peasy
And also art skype group chat was helping me with a pic.

but my unhappy thread stuff

....Im doing terribly on my 3D assignments
And im overwhelmed
SIGH

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I feel as if the TMNT could have done more with the concept of Shredder using Dimension X technology and his plans for the technology and soldiers from Dimension X's invasion of earth. Rock soldiers and mousers could have been added to his roster of soldiers taking away the monotony of just foot soldiers

Shredder could have also used the mutagen to create more mutants

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
At work I was asking about a Blue Ray player that was laying around and I said "VCR"

...Where's my head at? 1980's?

Teran

Through Fire, Justice is Served
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
Man I thought I was gonna have a little time to myself tomorrow but no, busy busy tomorrow too!

Literally have like no days I can put my feet up now. =/

Claire Diviner

President
NNID
ClaireDiviner
Describe "abused" D:
Emotional and verbal for a long while. When I finally got the courage to say I was leaving, she started breaking down, realizing what she was doing, and promised she would change. It's a very complicated story, but I decided to give her another chance.

Oftentimes, I see women on talk shows like Maury and Steve Wilkos in abused relationships, and I'd criticize them for not simply leaving. Now I recently realized I find myself becoming the very woman I had criticized. Life is not without its sense of irony. I couldn't tell if I was too weak to leave, or if I was strong enough not to.

In the end, I gave her another chance, and I was told that even though I love her, I also have to learn to love myself more. It isn't selfishness either; it's self preservation.

:phone:

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
My dreadlocks got cut one month ago... I really, really, really miss them... :c

KRDsonic

Smash Master
If you aren't happy with the person you're with, just leave IMO. Yes it's hard to do, but it's usually better in the long run, unless it's someone you've been with for years and years and it's a problem that just now rose up.

Master Xanthan

Smash Champion
Emotional and verbal for a long while. When I finally got the courage to say I was leaving, she started breaking down, realizing what she was doing, and promised she would change. It's a very complicated story, but I decided to give her another chance.

Oftentimes, I see women on talk shows like Maury and Steve Wilkos in abused relationships, and I'd criticize them for not simply leaving. Now I recently realized I find myself becoming the very woman I had criticized. Life is not without its sense of irony. I couldn't tell if I was too weak to leave, or if I was strong enough not to.

In the end, I gave her another chance, and I was told that even though I love her, I also have to learn to love myself more. It isn't selfishness either; it's self preservation.

I think you should just leave her, doesn't sound worth it. She'll probably end up verbally abusing you again.

Claire Diviner

President
NNID
ClaireDiviner
I know. I know I should probably leave her, but some people really don't know how hard it can be. I suppose I have the advantage of knowing that my grandmother accepts me for who I am, so I can always go back to her, ensuring I'm no longer homeless. I just fear going back to square one.

Sol that doesn't sound healthy. Either you're exaggerating with the word "abused" or you're making a really stupid decision.
This is probably the most concern and sympathy I will ever see from Falcon1.0. I guess I'll take it for what it's worth.

EDIT: Originally, I had posted and collapsed a convo I had with a friend about what was going on to show you exactly what was happening, since, clearly even my therapist was the one who exaggerated when she said I was a victim of domestic abuse... but I've decided I don't want to give you that satisfaction. You're just an insensitive and boorish jerk.

Lythium

underachiever
BRoomer
Sol, that sounds like a really unhealthy relationship, honestly. And she seems like she is chock-full of double standards. From what I read, your girlfriend just doesn't really respect you and who you are.

If you're this unhappy after a couple of months, I suggest getting out of there. Obviously, it's up to you, but that's just my two cents.

Claire Diviner

President
NNID
ClaireDiviner
Thanks, Lythium. You managed to read that before I edited out, but you get an idea of what I'm going through. Problem is that this has been going on for more than several months now. I did say I was going to give her one more chance, so I'll just have to see what comes from that. Thanks for your two cents.

Falconv1.0

Smash Master
I'm not going to get into details but I have been in a rather ****ty situation with a woman before. I don't know if I'd call it abuse but it was definitely pretty ****ed. I do know how it feels to really love and want someone who isn't right for you and honestly I stopped looking at it as a strong or weak thing. I just pushed that aside and went "this is ****ing stupid, even if I don't feel 'strong' I'm not ****ing stupid" and bailed the **** out. Now I'm like 30 times more confident, my conversations with friends are more enjoyable and I don't regret putting it all behind me ever.

So yeah if it's as ****ed up as people say just bail out asap. People don't change that radically if they're willing to be that ****ty to someone they supposedly love. It might be hard but it's the only thing you can do.

People=****!

KRDsonic

Smash Master
One thing to keep in mind. Whoever you're with now, that doesn't have to be who you stay with forever. If things aren't working out and you and the other person try over and over to work things out and they just aren't working, it's best to end it so both people can go to people who will be better for them in the end.

I say that cause I know what it's like to feel the need to salvage a relationship because you can't picture yourself finding something better, and then finally deciding to leave and later finding someone who is a whole lot better.

Top Bottom