• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Unhappy Thread

Teran

Through Fire, Justice is Served
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
You'll get there if you keep up training intensity.

/used to be a swimmer

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Sex and gender are not the same thing.

Maybe you should watch this video if you haven't already, it's pretty informative: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xXAoG8vAyzI
I don't have to watch any videos, I understand the difference based on the definition I gave.

Sex - biological parts

Gender - Societal roles

there isn't much more than that.

Tran-sexual doesn't have to do with sexuality but the male/ female denomination based on what sex parts you have.

TBH I really don't care what they call it

Claire Diviner

President
NNID
ClaireDiviner
I do care.
As do I.

Transsexual is actually a demeaning term used for the transgender community in much the same way "******" is to the little people. One needs to be more sensitive about these things, even if one feels they're obligated not to on the grounds that it's the Internet.

:phone:

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
But the word transsexual makes more sense, since they are changing their biologic parts. They aren't necessarily changing their personality or how they view their societal roles. Unless they are strictly doing that

Edit: It's refering the sexual dimorphism, the biological differences between male and female, if you are changing from male to female you would be altering your sexual dimorphism characteristics. Thus transsexual would make more sense.

If you change from masculine to feminine than transgender would work, but that doesn't require changing any biological parts

Fine, I'll just accept people are offended by it

Froggy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3110-7430-0100
As do I.

Transsexual is actually a demeaning term used for the transgender community in much the same way "******" is to the little people. One needs to be more sensitive about these things, even if one feels they're obligated not to on the grounds that it's the Internet.

But isn't transsexual like the official terminology for it. As in that's the way a doctor would refer to such a person. I understand that ****** is an offensive term but it seems to me as if transsexual is the most appropriate word to refer to someone who under goes sex assignment surgery.

I don't mean to be rude, but it seems to me as if you just want something to complain about. It like me complaining cause someone called me African American.

Froggy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3110-7430-0100
So today I digitized a bit over 1200 features. My understanding is that the average amount of features digitized per worker a day at our office is ~700-800~, so although this wasn't bad it's disappointing. I kinda wanna be digitizing upwards of 1400 features a day, I suppose if I work overtime digitizing something like 1600 features per day is doable. Hopefully I'll keep improving, we'll see.

Smooth Criminal

Da Cheef
NNID
boundless_light
I don't mean to be rude, but it seems to me as if you just want something to complain about. It like me complaining cause someone called me African American.
This, ladies and gentlemen, comes from the same sack of **** that pisses and moans about everything else under the goddamn sun. Not to mention his hygiene, his propensity for flatulence, and his inability to ****ing meaningfully interact with the opposite sex outside of a "business" transaction.

Offended yet? Have I trivialized your issues enough? No?

In no polite words, **** off. Don't invalidate Mizuki's and Sol's feelings on the matter. It IS offensive to them, whether you like it or not, considering the connotations behind the term.

You're throwing stones in a glass house, pal. Werekill, you can infract me as per whatever, but I am sick of this ****.

Smooth Criminal

Jim Morrison

Smash Authority
This, ladies and gentlemen, comes from the same sack of **** that pisses and moans about everything else under the goddamn sun. Not to mention his hygiene, his propensity for flatulence, and his inability to ****ing meaningfully interact with the opposite sex outside of a "business" transaction.

In no polite words, **** off. Don't invalidate Mizuki's and Sol's feelings on the matter. It IS offensive to them, whether you like it or not, considering the connotations behind the term.

You're throwing stones in a glass house, pal. Werekill, you can infract me as per whatever, but I am sick of this ****.

Smooth Criminal

Also, I'm unhappy with my life.

Holder of the Heel

Fiat justitia, pereat mundus
NNID
Roarfang
3DS FC
1332-7720-7283
Switch FC
6734-2078-8990
I think everyone is being a ***** except me.

But seriously, let's just relax and not be offended by what others say and leave judgement off the table. That's kind of the point of this place, no?

I can understand the Jesse Pinkman logic of stopping the acceptance somewhere in order to kick someone's *** into bettering themselves with judging, but let's not make anyone uncomfortable with idea of posting here.

Froggy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3110-7430-0100

Smooth Criminal
Yikes! Where did this come from? I apologize if my constant venting offends you, that's what this thread is for. If you don't want to see people complaining then why are you lurking in this thread?

And in my defense, I do not have flatulence problem, that was on day{Luigitoilet look what you've caused now :urg:}, and most of my best friends happen to be female, which you would know if you'd read my posts instead of just thinking of ways to insult me.

No, I am not offended. And I'm sorry that you are offended by me. I wasn't aware that you had a problem with me. I am not trying to tell Mizuki or Sol how they should feel, but I was defending Psycho cause I don't think it was right for them to call him out. He was using what most people accept as the politically correct term for a specific group of people, I dislike seeing people bash other users over stuff like that.

Anyways I hope you get over whatever your issue is with me :)

Edit: I didn't want to instigate anything further but I feel like this should be said. This thread is for people to complain. Please do not ***** about other people complaining.

GMaster171

Smash Ace
I'm not one to complain... about anything really... but my brothers are just plain pissing me off. Twin 10 year old brothers. They both are selfish, arrogant, lying, idiots. One weighs as much as I do (and im 16...), and the other thinks hes a jock, when he isn't. The only thing they are ever interested is the two games the prize above all others (Roblox and Ace of Spades ffs) and themselves. Too many times I'v found the milk/cereal left out, or just a tiny dribble left in, because they are to lazy and selfish to do something for others... One cries whenever you ask him to do anything (and I mean anything; putting shoes away, tiny chores) and the other just dismisses everything you say with some dumb word like 'swag' or 'dude'... thinking he is 'cool' or something...

My parents don't help anything. They are much to easy on the two... not to sound old, but when I was ten, I was punished for not doing chores or back talking my parents. Now they can cry, whine and outright refuse without consequence, and they call others names I don't even use with the jerks at my school. The most they have gotten in the ways of punishment over the last year was a stern talking to and no 2nd snack before going to bed (idk where the f*ck that concept even came from in my house). This is nothing compared to the month long grounding I used to get for refusing to go the stores... And for some reason my parents don't comprehend basic psychology, the more they let the kids do what they want, the worse they get. They refuse to acknowledge this even when I tell them that exact fact, and I often get yelled at for trying to punish the two... even with trivial things like bed early, or one day without computers... (gasp I know right? such a death sentence)

then the school system is a whole other problem on them. I'll keep it short and say that they are doing single digit multiplication, and reading 20 page books in grade 5 (and they are still struggling). That should say enough.

finally, TV is the 2nd worse influence... I just don't understand cartoons anymore. nothing against Adventure Time, Regular show or cartoons in general (I watch MLP and Spongebob every once in awhile) but with the combination of crap schooling and too much freedom, where do you think they are picking up on words and why do you think they are fighting so much? ffs.

Rant is over, had to get this out, idgaf what you think. cant wait till I leave home. At this point, I have pretty much given up on making my brothers anywhere near as successful as me (not to put myself above them, but I was taught to be honest)

Holder of the Heel

Fiat justitia, pereat mundus
NNID
Roarfang
3DS FC
1332-7720-7283
Switch FC
6734-2078-8990
Well, they're ten years old. That pretty much explains any issue you can have with them. In the future you're even going to look at you now and think you're silly, and these kids are TEN. I remember being a piece of crap around that age myself, not anything my parents said or could say changed me, I just simply grew up through experience. Time is quite literally the best thing for someone, it allows one to be reflexive, and if anyone is ultimately going to make a big change with you, it's ultimately going to be yourself. Also, it's pretty stereotypical for the firstborn to be treated more harshly then anyone who follows, my own family is an example of it.

As for TV, yeah, it's a pretty bad influence, but I don't think citing Adventure Time or Regular show or cartoons even is the best way to illustrate that, particularly considering it's less violent than what was on during the early television cartoon years. It's largely a cultural issue.

KRDsonic

Smash Master
Tonight was kinda bittersweet. I somehow ended up finding myself caught in the middle of a love triangle between a couple of my friends online. I guess it's kinda my fault, but I wasn't expecting it, because I tried to make sure no one would develop feelings or anything. Then things happened tonight and I ended up having to make a choice between who I liked better (literally nothing I could do about it. If I did one thing, then it would show that I liked one of them better. If I did nothing, it would show that I liked the other better), so while I'm now closer to one person, the other person is more distant from me (and they got really upset and an argument happened).

Odd thing is: I had feelings for both of them, and both of them had feelings for me, and none of this was mentioned until tonight.

I'm still single technically (cause I want to avoid an online relationship again if I can help it, since the two I had before turned out bad) but I've now found myself devoted to one person.

Bleh, things would be easier if guys stopped falling in love with me, and if I stopped having feelings for them. I don't understand how to stay single. I mean, if it works then yay, but it's kinda weird that I can't seem to stay out of a relationship for longer than 5 months (last time I was single for that long was 6 years ago, and I've never once in my life looked for a relationship. They always just kinda happen).

Oh yeah, there's a 3rd person who has feelings for me too, though luckily I got myself to come straight out and tell them no a few days ago.

:059:

Vixen

~::Fragile::~
Premium
Since I'm going through HRT, and not SRS, yes, I'm transgendered. I still have my jibbly bits. I haven't decided if I ever will go through the surgery past oriectomy.

The term transexual, while technically correct, is still widely considered an offensive word in the trans community, and yes, I get offended when I'm called a transexual.

Just stop using the word, and stop ****ing arguing about it.

cannedbread

Smash Lord
i've been growing my hair for like 5 years

i resist all temptation to get a haircut

i share a strong emotional bond with my hair

we've been through a lot together

and that one time i got my hair done and the steam from the hairdryer gave my hairdresser an asthma attack

to that time when ash told me she was gay ; ;

why are you gay ash ; ;

don't cut your hair lt remember the good times

Falconv1.0

Smash Master
One needs to be more sensitive about these things, even if one feels they're obligated not to on the grounds that it's the Internet.
Why does one need to be sensitive about these things? Are you going to pass a law limiting my free speech? Are they going to commit suicide because I used the word ******?

On topic, I am at the lowest point I've been mood wise in ****in years. I blame Teran.

Teran

Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
Look man your sister told me she was on the pill.

Anyway, about the whole transexual thing, I do think one has to consider the fact that like 99% of people have like zero clue that it is an offensive term, they just think think it is the actual term.

People really haven't been taught the distinction between transgender and transexual because well most people aren't trans and don't care enough to really read up about it. Society generally uses the world transexual well at least from what I noticed growing up, so it's just the word that sticks.

Tbh though speaking of ******, what word is there as a substitute? Let's be real here, "little people", "vertically challenged" whatever other things one can think of are in my mind, just as patronising and insulting if not more so.

Why am I still alive?

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
How would it come to be an offensive term, it seems scientifically accurate, as long as thy have their parts changed?

Falconv1.0

Smash Master
Guys we better watch it before Smooth Criminal decides to no longer be sensitive to our feelings, because that's how you change hearts and minds.

Teran's got the right idea, man why the **** am I alive?

Lore

Infinite Gravity
BRoomer
Because it is associated with the "freaks" of transgenderism. You know, the Jerry Springer ones they use for shock value. Transgender is just a more accepted term.

Plus you can be transgender and not have parts changed. Gender identity is the issue, not physical gender (although identity causes issues with physical, obviously), so transgender is a more accurate term.

Claire Diviner

President
NNID
ClaireDiviner
Why does one need to be sensitive about these things? Are you going to pass a law limiting my free speech? Are they going to commit suicide because I used the word ******?
Here's something you ought to know: the suicide rate among the transgender community is 41%. The link below directs to an article detailing it. There are more articles confirming this, but this was the first I came across. So if you care to read it...

http://www.livescience.com/11208-high-suicide-risk-prejudice-plague-transgender-people.html

Falconv1.0

Smash Master
Here's something you ought to know: the suicide rate among the transgender community is 41%. The link below directs to an article detailing it. There are more articles confirming this, but this was the first I came across. So if you care to read it...
I don't care to read it. I'm not claiming that I'm going to be insensitive around them, I'm saying your usage of the word "need" is erroneous. You WANT us to be more sensitive, we in fact don't need to do anything is my point.

Also I doubt telling people they need to be sensitive about one word is going to somehow start changing hearts and minds. It's not going to change opinions on the matter, if anything I wouldn't be shocked if it helps reinforce negative views.

But hey what do I know this is the guy that calls Teran the EFF WURD on a daily basis.

Claire Diviner

President
NNID
ClaireDiviner
Well, I already had my day in the matter. Take it at face value. If you're not going to care about it, then that's you; it has no bearing on me, personally.

Teran

Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
And here I was thinking calling someone woman was the pejorative part! :denzel:

Froggy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3110-7430-0100
Since I'm going through HRT, and not SRS, yes, I'm transgendered. I still have my jibbly bits. I haven't decided if I ever will go through the surgery past oriectomy.

The term transexual, while technically correct, is still widely considered an offensive word in the trans community, and yes, I get offended when I'm called a transexual.

Just stop using the word, and stop ****ing arguing about it.
While I may not agree with you, I get that you find it offensive so I'll stop staying it here. You mind if I ask you a thing or two in PMs about this? I admit I'm not the most knowledgeable on the topic.

Smooth Criminal

Da Cheef
NNID
boundless_light
Guys we better watch it before Smooth Criminal decides to no longer be sensitive to our feelings, because that's how you change hearts and minds.

Teran's got the right idea, man why the **** am I alive?
At least you and Teran are d-bags with valid points. I can respect that.

xD

Smooth Criminal

Froggy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3110-7430-0100
Because it is associated with the "freaks" of transgenderism. You know, the Jerry Springer ones they use for shock value. Transgender is just a more accepted term.

Plus you can be transgender and not have parts changed. Gender identity is the issue, not physical gender (although identity causes issues with physical, obviously), so transgender is a more accurate term.
That can't be right.

Why couldn't you be transexual and not transgendered? Wouldn't people who are transsexual and not transgendered take offense to this term transgendered? It seems to me that calling someone transgendered is making just as much an assumption as transsexual.

global-wolf

Smash Champion
Failed my calc test for sure c: And I have an essay due tomorrow that I couldn't start until now because I had a quartet gig. Looking like a long night.

Top Bottom