• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The UK Brawl Thread. News Flash: Hurricane Rev's session - Feb -19/02/09

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kasper!

Smash Lord
NOOOOO!!!!! ah man i guess a brawl guy's gotta do what he's gotta do :laugh:

*goes to brawl and starts practicing with snake as falco is useless in lag =/*

btw what does it mean by the number of teams? i dont know wherether its singles or doubles??

Willz

Smash Master
NNID
WillzUK
btw what does it mean by the number of teams? i dont know wherether its singles or doubles??
I'm guessing this is singles from reading the rules. :)

Brawl online is catastrophic fail but I will play anyway.

FoulPlay

Smash Lord
Haha, well said.
Nothing like actually playing someone who is right next to you, I'd travel to London just to play someone if there were only like 20 smashers in the UK and all stationed in london rather than play online. Online brawl is what is destroying the Brawl part of the community tbh, too many people are too lazy or too cheap/broke to travel. Or even too young, perhaps that's your problem, Crewster?

Rev are you going to GGT2? :S

Cpt.Zeppo

Smash Lord
Haha, well said.
Nothing like actually playing someone who is right next to you, I'd travel to London just to play someone if there were only like 20 smashers in the UK and all stationed in london rather than play online. Online brawl is what is destroying the Brawl part of the community tbh, too many people are too lazy or too cheap/broke to travel. Or even too young, perhaps that's your problem, Crewster?

Rev are you going to GGT2? :S
How can something thats created most of the community be destroying it? Brawl just hasnt began here and if it does it will soon enough have far more players than Melee. Its just that theres alot of scrubby guys who cant be bothered attending stuff and they shine in this community's negative attitude towards brawl imo. Theres more players with access to this site than there ever was for Melee in the UK.

Online brawl has taught me alot about the game but its not the same for results as playing live. Im generally lazier online etc. but I'll still use it to etch certain things into my game.

FoulPlay

Smash Lord
How can something thats created most of the community be destroying it? Brawl just hasnt began here and if it does it will soon enough have far more players than Melee. Its just that theres alot of scrubby guys who cant be bothered attending stuff and they shine in this community's negative attitude towards brawl imo. Theres more players with access to this site than there ever was for Melee in the UK.

Online brawl has taught me alot about the game but its not the same for results as playing live. Im generally lazier online etc. but I'll still use it to etch certain things into my game.
Highlighted parts: Yup, it's a newer game and will greatly increase the community when people who want to travel to one another in real life start to show up.

The scrubs are what put a bad reputation on it, because of their attitude, mainly because they believe that they can just run tournaments online and not have to go to each others houses etc, even with the massive amount of lag online a lot of the time, it's stupid really that anyone thinks that you can host large tournaments online, anyone could cheat in these things really, there's no way to prove who won and who didn't in matches either from what I've read, there's no one watching the match or able to record it if the two players don't have recording equipment, there's no way to prove who won and the loser could lie through his teeth. I get what you're saying, and I agree with it all. And the main reason people have access to this site more than melee ever did is because this was and always will be the central resource for information on all three current games.

That being said, I'm probably going to end up going to one of the brawl uk circuit events to see how far the community has expanded for brawl in the uk by that point.

I learned about the game (brawl) as far as I know in depth to it, which isn't that much due to inexperience of events irl, from playing online against people from the uk who had it when it came out, and I feel the same way abou lazyness, if you're not playing against someone who's there next to you (maybe this is just for me, idk?) you feel less enclyned to actually try your best or better than what your currently playing.

lol long post about brawl and standing up for it in some ways? :S this isn't like me.

the game has a long long way to go from where it's at now, it's a case of waiting and seeing. maybe someone will find something increadibly ground breaking for the game in the next few months, maybe in the next few years, who knows.

*****yawn******
he probably is.

Inertia123

Smash Journeyman
Or even too young, perhaps that's your problem, Crewster?
Yeah Crewster start being older.

I have to agree with Zeppo there are a lot of scrubby/lazy people who won't attend real life tourneys. But there also isn't a lot of encouragement, especially for new brawl players. I've a seen several instances of people posting and instantly someone coming in simply to say they hate brawl or how the poster should hate brawl. The community doesn't seem to have enough people willing to support both sides (something I was talking to Ben about).

This is largely due to the fact that a lot of people, like myself at first, hated brawl for the first few months at least due to the fact that the game had changed so much. The reduction of hitstun, removal of a lot of technical elements and two characters who just tower above the others. And of course the massive nerfing of the captain.

This doesn't mean its not an enjoyable game however I feel it just focuses on different things. Namely spacing timing and knowing what your opponents going to do.

It would be really good if all the tournaments this year could at the very least make people stop being so eletist and become more tolerant of both games.

I still prefer melee though :laugh:

Edit

I don't really know. Brawl and Melee community are completly separated in France. I only know a few names of the brawl players, and I've never seen most of 'em.

I know people from Melee mostly stayed on Melee. And most Brawl players are people that began playing smash bros with Brawl.
Pretty much sums it up.

AmcD

Smash Ace
There hasn't been encouragement from melee players except Ed and recently Ant because most of us don't want to play Brawl but that doesn't mean someone who plays Brawl doesn't have to host their own tournament.

Bullet Bill

Smash Master
Online is terrible and I can't even begin to think how ****e online tournaments would be. Like Kieran said- how are you gonna regulate anything?

I was playing Aiko the other day and it's just such a shame how the lag rly does screw things over. Also I agree with inertia I'm just sick of all the people taking sides in some kind of Brawl vs Melee kinda thing. Like Pro saying 'I don't like brawl over and over just incase we mist the last 100 posts that said the same thing.

Kieran- Stop waiting for advanced techs cos if you are then you don't like brawl and prob never will.

FoulPlay

Smash Lord
Online is terrible and I can't even begin to think how ****e online tournaments would be. Like Kieran said- how are you gonna regulate anything?

Kieran- Stop waiting for advanced techs cos if you are then you don't like brawl and prob never will.

I'm not actually, rofl I'm waiting on something so revolutionary that it gets one other character other than Metaknight to it's full potential. I went onto the brawl general discussion earlier and about 40% of the topics were *****ing about MetaKnight, its **** like that that puts me off brawl, people like that, that play competitively, nothing else. I'm sure I could find it fun, but when it comes to complainers and people with attituides, I'm not really interested.

I'd play more of it if the online was great, but it's pathetic, and I'm never interested in playing it at a fest, hence why I said I'm going to go to one of the circuit tournaments. :)

I'm giving it a chance at a competitive level, aka, in tournament, not just against the other competitive scottish players. Otherwise, I don't know how I'd like it in competitve play.

I'm just sick of people wanting online games when they should be travelling to one another, getting to know one another, and building up their own community instead of *****ing about not having tournaments, which I'm sure you understand perfectly well as I believe you dislike all the online crap too judging by your post. :p

Cpt.Zeppo

Smash Lord
they shouldnt have to be doing anything, if people want online games of brawl then why not?

I think if Azen is getting top 2-5 consistantly with a variety of characters, some guy is getting 4th with Mario and Luigi, Ninjalink and Chu are piping people then hold your breath on Metaknight being broken. I think you could wait a year until thats proven, not things to break him.

AmcD

Smash Ace
Fair enough they can just want online, but, the people who moan there isn't tournaments etc should do something about it.

Aiko

Smash Champion
they shouldnt have to be doing anything, if people want online games of brawl then why not?

I think if Azen is getting top 2-5 consistantly with a variety of characters, some guy is getting 4th with Mario and Luigi, Ninjalink and Chu are piping people then hold your breath on Metaknight being broken. I think you could wait a year until thats proven, not things to break him.
This is so true. IMO MK is nowhere near broken. Hes good yes, and will probably always be top tier, but theres so many ways to beat him. People aren't focussing on his weaknesses enough.
Also beacause MK is easy to play, his metagame has been advanced much more than harder characters, eg olimar, diddy etc. Its only recently because of the success of some players, that diddy is being played and advancing his metagame.

MK is not the best character in the game. Just because M2K wins every tournament with MK doesn't mean he is. It means M2K is the best player. We all know he would win or come very high, regardless of which character he used (assuming the character is tournament viable).

Brawl is like melee minus the technical side. Thats why so many top melee players are still top brawl players. Its still about the mindgames. Melee has a technical barrier, where it is impossible for anybody to compete if you dont have the technical skill, regardless of if you have the mindgames or not. With that barrier removed, all those players who lacked technical skill but had mindgames will do well. Those that were winning in melee down to technical skill, but lacked mindgames will suck at brawl.

Kieran: Brawl is actually decent to play now. Don't worry about MK being dominating. He isn't. I played Blinky over the weekend and won a lot of my games wario vs his MK. And I know he is one of the best, if not best, MK mainers in the UK.

Professor Pro

Smash Legend
This is so true. IMO MK is nowhere near broken. Hes good yes, and will probably always be top tier, but theres so many ways to beat him. People aren't focussing on his weaknesses enough.
Also beacause MK is easy to play, his metagame has been advanced much more than harder characters, eg olimar, diddy etc. Its only recently because of the success of some players, that diddy is being played and advancing his metagame.

MK is not the best character in the game. Just because M2K wins every tournament with MK doesn't mean he is. It means M2K is the best player. We all know he would win or come very high, regardless of which character he used (assuming the character is tournament viable).

Brawl is like melee minus the technical side. Thats why so many top melee players are still top brawl players. Its still about the mindgames. Melee has a technical barrier, where it is impossible for anybody to compete if you dont have the technical skill, regardless of if you have the mindgames or not. With that barrier removed, all those players who lacked technical skill but had mindgames will do well. Those that were winning in melee down to technical skill, but lacked mindgames will suck at brawl.

Kieran: Brawl is actually decent to play now. Don't worry about MK being dominating. He isn't. I played Blinky over the weekend and won a lot of my games wario vs his MK. And I know he is one of the best, if not best, MK mainers in the UK.
Nice post.

Made me want to go home and finally play my brawl I got for Xmas:(

Aiko

Smash Champion
MK players will get better quicker than other characters because MK is easy to learn, but I think hes like melee marth, where you're better earlier on, and then you have to work a lot at high level.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom