• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The tier list V.3 discussion (What next?)

Le_THieN

Smash Lord
This won't count as a 'big tournament' to any of the SBR now...will it?

Majority : 93 people? Must've all been scrubs. *ignores result*

:093:
Considering the caliber of players Espy was dismantling in friendlies and tournament play (and the fashion in which he was doing so), I think it's fair to say that Sonic is due for a healthy push in the next tier list update. Beyond getting a slight boost on a list that is generally pretty meaningless though, the rest is up to you guys. One fantastic player from San Antonio who happens to main a bad character can only do so much on his own.

Tenki

Smash Hero
This won't count as a 'big tournament' to any of the SBR now...will it?

Majority : 93 people? Must've all been scrubs. *ignores result*

It can't be like that this time, because there were SBR members there :3

Unless they'd like to admit they're scrubs for the sole reason of discrediting the tournament, then okay.

also,

Majority : 93 people? Must've all been scrubs. *ignores result*​
Majority : 93 people?​

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
LOL

It's like the movie 24, but it's 93 and Haunter

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
24 is everywhere.

Haunter is everywhere.

I didn't think it was that bad.

Espy Rose

Dumb horse.
NNID
EspyRose
Actually, there were 97 entries. Unless 97 = 93 in Haunter terms, then it's wrong.

:097:

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
do you guys enjoy being stupid or something?

it's called a joke

stop eavesdropping on other people's scenes and taking their inside jokes seriously when you don't know what the **** you're talking about.

i can tell you don't know what you're talking about because malcolm has seconded wario since forever you ****ing idiots
From what I read, the tournament was a joke wather or not Sonic really was soft-banned. I feel so bad for Malcolm probably having to put up with all that in person.

Also what in God's name are you still doing here, dramatizing everything? You should first go put some cleaning alcohol on those hands so you stop typing up cuss words and making a big deal out of everything.

Better yet, why is this thread still open, I thought we got it taken care of when the SBR finally told us we just have to place in bigger tourneys.

Tenki

Smash Hero
Actually, there were 97 entries. Unless 97 = 93 in Haunter terms, then it's wrong.

:097:
that's everyone not in top 4, you silly.

I think this should be renamed to V.3 discussion.

I'm pretty sure most of you guys have gotten over the current ranking.

So yeah.

Tenki

Smash Hero
Well, first off, we already got some form of satisfactory reasoning as to his placement atm.

All that's left is to figure out what to do until the next tier list.

imo:
- spread matchup knowledge
- more representatives in tourneys (not necessarily win, but at least show people your playstyle and garner some recognition)

it's pretty much just acknowledgement of the community that we should be trying to get.

Not acknowledgement that Sonic is a good/bad character. Not even acknowledgement that Sonic is a better character than the tier list shows.

Acknowledgement that they don't know what they're doing when they go up against a Sonic main.

Then from that point on, maybe matchup discussions will be more accurate and people will finally stop going on about how projectiles **** Sonic or they can stop Sonic's approaches (cough, spindash) with jab.

And if people have matchup knowledge and we can still place in tourneys, then awesome - he might actually be a better character.

ROOOOY!

Smash Master
NNID
Gengite
3DS FC
5456-0280-5804
So we can discuss how little Sonic is going to rise next time.

Though that's unimportant.

The real fun for me comes in guessing which 'deadweight' members of the SBR make inconsistant statements as to why Sonic is such a bad character, and how they refuse to change their perspective on him at all.

Tbh.

:roymelee:

Browny

Smash Hater
ugh... enough of this crap 'dont know the matchup'

I dont know the matchup against half the people i play. It doesnt make that much of a difference to me? Why is sonic the only character with a legit excuse for losing because the enemy doesnt know how to play this extremely simple game

Boxob.

Smash Lord

I dont know the matchup against half the people i play. It doesnt make that much of a difference to me? Why is sonic the only character with a legit excuse for losing because the enemy doesnt know how to play this extremely simple game
Thank you.

JayBee

Smash Champion
NNID
jamesbrownjrva

People can say what they want, but last time i checked , "I dont know the matchup" usually was a john. it is a john. besides, no one knows all the matchups. that's stupid to assume that all the best players do. and even if someone did, it doesn't mean they will not lose agaisnt the said matchup. I have this feeling that the majority of the smash community consider losing to sonic as a disgracful thing, which is wierd and sad.

Napilopez

Smash Lord
Truth has been spoken.

Imo, it is moreso the underestimating of the opponent that yields such losses against Sonics. Of course matchup knowledge matters, but like seriously. Good players should be able to adapt right?

Tenki

Smash Hero
Yep.

Everything I mentioned in the "Meatknight is not Broken!" thread is stuff that high level players do perform.

I mentioned time and again that aside from the D-throw DI+tech, none of them were 'new' by any means.

It's more a service for the mass of well, everyone else on Smashboards.

Chis

Finally a legend
NNID
ArcadianPirate
Isn't in Sonic's nature be have bias against and hated? Look at the reviews from his games, fan hate etc he gets.

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
That is just Sega's fault for comnig up with ******** games, but I can't see how people could hate Sonic before he could talk other than the people who thought "Super Mario Bros. ripoff!" I still like him anyway. :/

MarKO X

Smash Champion
NNID
legendnumberM
3DS FC
2595-2072-2390
Switch FC
Well, his recent console games are steakless. Sonic NextGen was pretty **** bad. Secret of the Rings... well, it wasn't that bad, but it wasn't that good either. Sonic Unleashed... well, the day levels are pretty cool, but the Werehog... sucks.

His portable games, very tasty. They only get the "average" reviews because it's the same of the stuff that we've been doing since Genesis, only with different levels and updated moves. Still good stuff.

When Sonic games lack gimmicks, they rock. Think about that. But I digress.

As far as Sonic's tier placement is concerned, the SBR won't respect the hedgehog until he picks up some notable wins, that of which, you must honestly admit, he hasn't have too many of, despite how good he may or may not be.

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
Where have you been Mark? Espy just put on some tasty Steak this last weekend, now if we can only go on a Winning Steak like him, then maybe...

I could actually say that Espy can compete with the likes of Mr. 3K in terms of best tourney Sonic out there.

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
I would honestly say Espy is the best Sonic out right now.

This is my opinion, but he has the MOST top placings than any other Sonic. I haven't heard anything of 3k in a long time...

JayBee

Smash Champion
NNID
jamesbrownjrva
so, basically a sonic like, has to beat M2K's meta in a tourney to get people to change opinion? i know that's extreme but still...

MarKO X

Smash Champion
NNID
legendnumberM
3DS FC
2595-2072-2390
Switch FC
No credit taken away from Espy and the other successful Sonic mains, but one or four winning steaks won't increase his positioning on the tier list.

And I think if a Sonic was to beat Azen's Lucario in a tourney, that could work too.

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
ill go on an winning steak guize. promise

Tenki

Smash Hero
No credit taken away from Espy and the other successful Sonic mains, but one or four winning steaks won't increase his positioning on the tier list.

And I think if a Sonic was to beat Azen's Lucario in a tourney, that could work too.
You do know that the point of it isn't to actually win the tourneys (though it's a +boost, especially if there are vids).

It's to expose the rest of the community to Sonic's abilities.

That means you have to like, play against as many people as possible in friendlies, get them to do good shoutouts (in other words, you convert people to "omg, they're right, we totally didn't expect Sonic to be like this D:"), and if they lose, tell them how to do better.

Videos are a plus.

It's all a matter of propaganda.

note: I lost the Diethard pic so this will have to do.

Espy Rose

Dumb horse.
NNID
EspyRose
Where have you been Mark? Espy just put on some tasty Steak this last weekend, now if we can only go on a Winning Steak like him, then maybe...

I could actually say that Espy can compete with the likes of Mr. 3K in terms of best tourney Sonic out there.
Alot of people I was playing at FS5 (Melee1, Dojo, etc) said that I'm better than 3K.

Then again, I don't know how long it's been since they've played 3K and whatnot, but that's what everyone was saying at FS5, so yeah.

Jim Morrison

Smash Authority
I think I should revive this thread, as a new tier list is coming soon. We should use this discuss how far we've come, what we think will happen with the new tier list and what has changed to bump or move down Sonic on the new list.

GO!
(I'll post later)

JMan8891

Halfrican-American
Puff, take the credit. On nearly every facet of your game, you are the best Sonic. I emulated Lucky for awhile, till ppl learned to shield, xD (over aggro= ****)

You mindgame, predict, react, buffer, hell, outshine everyone else. And lets not forget, your one of the True Blue All Sonic mains out there.

I really wish my smash scene wasn't a joke to so i could get my name out more... these 15-less man tournies don't quite get me any recognition, sadly.... :(

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
Well obviously Sonic's made a couple of advancements, be it minor concerning metagame, and majorly concerning tourney performance/placement.

Even if he isn't better than who he's paired up with, I find it funny how he manages to place where mid-tiers would beg to be in, and that very few low tiers could possibly hope to be at.

I still think out of all the low/mid tier, Sonic is probably one of the better choices to use in terms of a normal scene, granted there might be a few more characters who would/could do better but Sonic is really balanced, whereas with some other characters you can only hope to not meet X/Y/Z/A/B/C/etc character and have to do work/CP.

aeghrur

Smash Champion
Wait, wait, when did Espy become better than malcolm?
No offense Espy, but to me, it's still undecided leaning toward Malcolm.
Unless he quit Sonic like he said. O=<

Top Bottom