• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Temple of Time~The Zelda Tournament and Video Archive~Vids Critiqued Here!

Mocha

Coffee Addict
In the land of princesses, frogs, and dragons
NNID
Mocha151
3DS FC
4640-0063-5592
yay! wifi dittos can be so lulzy though when you watch em cause of latency pauses lol
I can go by the Zelda xat every now and then and see if I can catch you on there for wifiz.

I'm sure that xat's been dead-ish though... I haven't been on there in forever ;o

M@v(Zelda) vs Seagull(Bowser) MM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hn_RV...el_video_title

Just reposting in a more formal format if you are updating the video listings :3
This link didn't work. But I'll try and give suggestions/advice on the video you posted before this one ^^ (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hn_RVKbL0gI&feature=channel_video_title)

Match 1: Be careful with your rolls and air dodges. Don't underestimate the range of Bowser's f-tilt, especially when you're using Din's up so close. The double upsmash following up to up air was a decent damage racker at early percents between 0:19 - 0:22. Try and be more conservative with your upsmashes if you can, not just for staling purposes, but predictability. He didn't get hit by your upsmash as much because he baited it, and used options such as up b out of shield.

3:02 - 3:04: Nice f-tilt to up air

Toward the end, you rolled into his down smash, so again, try to be careful with your rolls. You don't want to roll into your opponent, especially if they start picking up on this habit. A smart opponent will punish this.

Match 2: That upsmash chain at the start did over 30 damage to him... poor Bowser xD Nice pressure at the end of his first stock too - that down smash knockback too good. I noticed that when you're knocked off stage and you're coming back, you like to use down air a lot. Be careful with this, as down air has such a tiny hitbox, and it's not hard to punish if your opponents are expecting it. Nice punish you did with your up air at 5:55. Toward the end of the match consisted mostly of him reading you and punishing you for it. Remember that you don't have to always approach Bowser either... you can let him come to you. Try and mix up your patterns a bit too. Even something as simple as standing still for a few seconds and waiting for him to react, or dash dancing, walking away, etc - can throw him off. Zelda is generally a predictable character, so use what little options you do have to make her less predictable, and don't do anything too risky. Some characters can bring the game back after an SD or two, but Zelda has a really hard time doing so. I can't remember anything risky you've done in particular - you just put yourself in bad places sometimes for your opponent to give you a hard time.

Overall, you have potential if you keep practicing more and more. Research Zelda's moves more... see what you can do with them. Pick up on Nair cancel and down tilt (I don't remember seeing you use this move once... it's great). You don't use any complex AT's with Zelda, such as Up B cancel, and though it's not necessary, I find that learning as much about Zelda's moves and different uses as I can gives me more options to work with. I can't stress to you enough how limited Zelda's options are. If you need help on learning more of Zelda's moves and uses, I'll be happy to help, and I'm sure many of our fellow Zeldas here would be able to give you advice as well. I'm at work right now and I had to write this post kind of fast, but I'll keep checking back if you have any more questions, if you want more vids critiqued, etc. I don't know everything about Zelda. I'm still learning too. But I don't mind sharing what I do know and what works for me. Hopefully some of the suggestions I give can help you find something that works for you too =)

edit: OMG IT'S MOCHAMEW
Yes I'm alive! xD
How are you? It's been awhile!

I need to have my replay critiqued still http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x_ofcwj3YVE
but don't feel confident about critiquing other people's. I'm too much of a scrub who doesn't know MUs:(.
I liked the waiting you did on 0:27 - 0:28 when Ike was charging his down smash, and how you punished accordingly. I noticed you tried to do this earlier when he was getting up from the ground, but his get up attack hit you.

0:34 - 0:37: Almost gimped here ;o Zelda can gimp herself so easily it's not even funny, even by doing something as small as air dodging off stage. Good job on making it back to the stage without gimping. He could have edge-hogged you there, but what matters is that you made it, and it's good to learn as many of the directions to recover with Zelda as you can, including places which feel like are almost impossible to recover from. Not something you should practice against people in tournaments of course, but just for training.

2:15 - 2:17: Nice kick, pressure, and edgehog. Ike's jab is annoying... this Ike didn't use it as much as other Ikes I've seen use. I wouldn't challenge the move too much with your own moves. F-smash might help keep him away but I wouldn't rely on it too much. Oh and like I suggested to Mav, be careful with your rolling. You rolled into his down smash. You don't want to do much rolling in general, but Ike in particular is definitely someone you don't want to roll toward to. He hits hard. xD

Summing it up: Not bad, Rizen. You also have potential if you keep practicing and make more use of Zelda's other moves and techniques. Again like I was telling Mav, make more use of down tilt and nair cancel. Try and let him approach once in awhile, pick up on how he reacts. Notice how he gets up from the edge. Does he always jump when he gets up from the edge? Why not try and up air him if you predict he's going to jump? These are just a few suggestions. Keep working on your Zelda, going to keep my eyes open at your progress and post/watch when I can.

ESAM's ZP monthlies 7/2
4th out of 11 Singles
5th out of 7 Doubles (Teamed with Poltergust :yoshi:)
5th out of 12 Low Tier
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=306458

This was one tough tourney. Every event was pretty stacked. Lost to ESAM (pika/ICs) and Polt (Yoshi). Low tier was stramgely tough with me losing to Nick Riddle (Bowser) and ESAM (Samus). I'll load up some doubles vids!

:phone:

EDIT: me and the BLOOD GOD!!!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p8eraVtXiTM&feature=youtube_gdata_player
Din's Fried Eggs - team name xD

Congrats on 4th place, regardless of how many entrants there were. Especially compared to the list of high tiers placed underneath you. Keep it up Ed!
@ video: I lol'd at the nado spike on that last match. He was at 43 too! xD Good stuff Ed, I loved the grab release to up air at the end too! Keep putting up more vids!

Kataefi

*smoke machine*
im at work but I have to say.... din's fried eggs is tghe greatest name ever. EVAH!

more to come shortly

JigglyZelda003

Smash Hero
Now it's someone else's turn to pitch in! I nominate... JIGGLYZELDA. GOGOG! We should make it a pre-requisite that every post in here, including people that post videos, HAVE to critique a video! :woman:
_

edit: OMG IT'S MOCHAMEW
lol i have a few new replays from wifi, but no recording device, anyone willing to record them for me?
ESAM's ZP monthlies 7/2
4th out of 11 Singles
5th out of 7 Doubles (Teamed with Poltergust :yoshi:)
5th out of 12 Low Tier
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=306458

This was one tough tourney. Every event was pretty stacked. Lost to ESAM (pika/ICs) and Polt (Yoshi). Low tier was strangely tough with me losing to Nick Riddle (Bowser) and ESAM (Samus). I'll load up some doubles vids!

:phone:

EDIT: me and the BLOOD GOD!!!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p8eraVtXiTM&feature=youtube_gdata_player
great job anyways! i loved that doubles ending
im at work but I have to say.... din's fried eggs is tghe greatest name ever. EVAH!

more to come shortly
it is the greatest name ever

Darkmusician

Smash Master
Hey guys. HSI 2011 was this past weekend and I got some really cool Zelda sets that I'll be uploading soon. Also I see that there is a lot more to update and I'll get to it all soon.

AlanHaTe

Smash Ace
Hey guys. HSI 2011 was this past weekend and I got some really cool Zelda sets that I'll be uploading soon. Also I see that there is a lot more to update and I'll get to it all soon.
I watched a lot of things in the live stream but only didn't watch you playing(damn weekend family stuff johns!)

Really looking forward for it and btw I thought you forgot about Zelda boards :3

Kataefi

*smoke machine*
Hai DM :chuckle: For a second I thought you left this thread completely. Hope to see you back updating soon.

Kataefi

*smoke machine*
ed do you play with tap jump off?

I love how you stutter back and forth to avoid moves/close in etc... I think your spacing and DI are awesomesauce. So many times I thought you were gonna die but you lived. Fat ***** zelda *takes notes*

Also you had a pretty good lead in the first and second matches. And then you'd do something silly and just die lol. E.g. teleporting to your death in the first match, and that uair gambit in the second one when he wasn't in range. This made you lose the momentum you gained and cost you!!

#HBC | Scary

Hype Incarnate
NNID
ScaryLB59
Yea, I play with it off lol.

I know, I take a few too many risks as I play and this time they really all bit me this time. A handful of times I tripped him with Dtilt and couldn't connect with Fair. I was getting so angry so I started doing risky stuffs. I underestimated the range of air Klaw so bad. That move is too good. Thanks for the advice Kata.

Kataefi

*smoke machine*
omg I saw that. He grabbed your dtilt and then grabbed your leg mid-kick. Bowser's desperate for them legs. He's obviously bored of Peach :awesome:

But yeah outside of those gambits, I think you could have won some matches!!

quick q btw, how do you DI bowser's side b? I never know which way is best.

#HBC | Scary

Hype Incarnate
NNID
ScaryLB59
Depends on where you are on the stage when it hits. If you're close to the edge, DI almost all the way up and then out. If it's the other side heading towards the opposite, DI diagonally, but more toward the side rather than up.

Honestly, I was shocking myself with the things I was surviving. I'm sure I got him next time, but I panicked in a few situations where I easily could have killed him. Learning experience.

Ven got out of his 1st pool in Genesis (2nd Seed)! 2nd pool coming up, C'mon Zelda in bracket!

GodAtHand

Smash Lord
DNA #18- Worcester MA - 7/16/11
9th out of 28 singles.
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=307188

I beat Koolaid! (in pools)
I ran into Icylight and Immediately after ran into Bizkit. So that kinda sucked. Icylight's Olimar is terrifying I held my own pretty well, but it's a tough matchup. First match went down to last minute or so lol.

Hopefully I'll do better next time.

|ven|

ᵔᴥᵔ かわいい ᵔᴥᵔ
NNID
Hyuven
I couldnt get out of 2nd pools im sorry i couldnt make it any further :O but if it makes it any better I did good MM :D

AlanHaTe

Smash Ace
@Riot: good stuff, too bad you had to deal with Snake and Olimar x_x

@Ven: well it just happens, I don't think I could get past even R1, it was good you went there... the only Zelda at G2

and about MM... it's something.

Rizen

Smash Legend
@Riot: good stuff, too bad you had to deal with Snake and Olimar x_x

@Ven: well it just happens, I don't think I could get past even R1, it was good you went there... the only Zelda at G2

and about MM... it's something.
^:bee:

JigglyZelda003

Smash Hero
RizenZelda vs Scion(Wario) wifi 7-21-11.MPG
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=17m9Z8NVOeE
Other than not landing any lightning kicks, I feel good about this match. It was my first time vs Wario as Zelda.

Sorry for not critiquing. If people think I'm ready I'll step up and critique.

in the beginning you should have gotten off that platform asap lol. Zelda is free to pressure from below.

against Wario watch your running Usmashes, this one was bike abusing but normally wario's air movement is good enough to bait running Usmash too easily. if Wario is biking alot you should either walk towards him and block his drive by backwards to grab him off the bike or time a Fsmash and stop him on the go (maybe Dtilt?). don't worry about LK wario regularly, i don't cause i know his air attacks beat ours out in speed. i would instead try and predict where he is going to go and Fair that spot or look for opportunities for a grab release LK since it is guaranteed(wifi might screw it over).

watch those close range dins as well even baited short burst.

again watch your spot dodge downsmashes and roll behinds especially when your at higher percents and Wario is Fsmash abusing. I've had my Fsmash super armored through by Wario's. it made me a sad Zelda:c. if you get into a Fsmash abusal situation try to bait him into a dash grab if you can or hop back and dins or something(ftilt) if your not confident you can attack punish in between shoulder rams dont test it. im a grabby Zelda so i go for the grabs when i can.

you only got a tire piece 2 times and didnt really do much w/ it, maybe your unsure of how to work w/ items? idk.

for your first time it wasnt too bad overall, keep up the good work :bee:

JigglyZelda003

Smash Hero

AlanHaTe

Smash Ace
M@v(Zelda) vs Blue Rogue(Wario)2
Game 2 of losers finals
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wo-JsfP2ELQ&feature=channel_video_title
-First time I've gone Zelda in a regular singles bracket ^_^

Main problem I saw with myself is I still spammed too much upsmash.
it was a good match, and I agree with too much Usmash... the hard thing here is that you think wario is coming in the air and first reaction is Cstick Up but then he can go back if he wants and you won't hit him so try to watch carefully and use it only if you're sure it will hit, because it's very punishable

also Nair if spaced and timed correctly can very useful and it seems to beat many if not all of wario's aerial attacks(not sure about this but it works a lot for me lol)

pivot grab can be useful here too, it has big range and is kind of "easy" to grab wario's body extensions, but you have to be sure it will grab, because if not you have 21 frames of lag and you could be dead x_x

keep it up you have a nice Zelda and can get much better good job!

JigglyZelda003

Smash Hero
Here's where G&W owns me:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0DIH-JfuUUs

(I thought I landed on stage at the end then missed that tricky angled UpB:glare:)
Ouch. the G&W was doing a bit of wifibusale though.

If G&W knocks you into the air just focus on trying to land on the ground don't want to end up in another one of those situations where your Uaired into the sky w/ no second jump lol.

i didnt understand you Dairing him when he was on the ground, but you shouldnt especially since his smashes and Nair beat it so easily.

wath the fireballs. if he gets 3 i dont think he can bucket break anymore so he dies earlier, but at the same time you give him a move that can KO at 70%.

just some things cause idk what to really do against G&W. im usually not blessesd unlucky enough to fight him as Zelda.

JigglyZelda003

Smash Hero

GodAtHand

Smash Lord
There will be vids eventually, Bizkit has some saved ones of doubles at least. I'll post them here when they go up, but he is on a Kingdom Hearts kick right now and it could be a while...

#HBC | Scary

Hype Incarnate
NNID
ScaryLB59
Sorry, really didn't save anything since I played on my unhacked wii. I have stack smash now though so I should be able to have infinite replay now.

Anyway, Ok here are the results from me.

ESAM's ZP Monthlies (8/6/2011)
9th out of 31 singles :sheilda:
Last in doubles :zelda: (Teamed with 8bitman :rob:)
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=308484

Lost to Shaky :ness:

Game one on Smashville I won I beat him by sneaking under his FAir with DACUS for the final kill. Made me happy when i landed this because I was dropping many DACUSs throughout the game and for the set to be honest. Came down to the very end damage wise.

Game two he CPed Jungle Japes thanks to the crazy rules. We were allowed two bans and I banned Brinstar and Defino. Didn't realize how gay this stage is for Ness. OMG it was awful! Despite how bad it was, I lost mid 1-stock.

Game three I took him to YI, I really wasn't too sure on CP and I was slightly afraid of Halberd because of over DIing his Bthrow and dying super early. As far as the match, it came to the last hit and I was hurting here because of nerves and not being able to execute clutch DACUSs.

With this particular MU, I'm either going to master our GR CG on Ness or go Zelda since Shaky struggles mightily against our alter ego.

Defeated Sage :snake:

Game one SV, Lots of rust on my opponent = 3 stock for my Zelda. Nothing notable here.

Game two FD, Same result. He'll improve and get his rust off but for now, easy victory.

Defeated DJ Jack :falco:

Game one SV, Solid two stock victory. He was surprisingly aggro against me but after some adjusting I put him into the locks and also got low percentage gimps.

Game two FD, I lured him here by banning SV and Japes. Almost got a 3 stock victory and then got too relaxed. Let it get away from me and won with a solid 2 stock victory.

Defeated R@vyn :pit:

Game one and two were on SV; Both matches were just back and forth contests. He had the lead going into the last stock in the first game and I brought it back with a quick 0-90 string. It ended with him planking and me timing up a vanish, blowing him and his UAir up. Clutch first victory. Second match I had more control heading into the last stock, winning with tipper DACUS. Zelda helped a lot in landing kills in this MU as well. Yay Zelda!

Lost to ESAM :popo:/:pikachu:

Game one was on BF with Zelda. He just doesn't drop CGs. At all! I lost high % 2 stock.

Game two was some desperation, I CP Luigi's Mansion with Zelda and he went Pika. I lost mid 1-stock. Pika is really obnoxious on this stage. So many jab lock setups. Grrrrrr.

9/31 :(

GodAtHand

Smash Lord
Ktar 6 - New Jersey - 8/13/2011
Singles 33rd out of 130.
I ran into Bizkit... who play about twice a month lol. Same as always.
Doubles 13th out of 39.
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=308914

Teamed with TeeVee. We could have done better. Totally not johning... but we each got no sleep! We did well, but I do believe we could both do better. I did get a 0 to death on Vex though mid match I was pretty excited and he seemed impressed after he finished kicking our ***** =P.

JigglyZelda003

Smash Hero
Ktar 6 - New Jersey - 8/13/2011
Singles 33rd out of 130.
I ran into Bizkit... who play about twice a month lol. Same as always.
Doubles 13th out of 39.
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=308914

Teamed with TeeVee. We could have done better. Totally not johning... but we each got no sleep! We did well, but I do believe we could both do better. I did get a 0 to death on Vex though mid match I was pretty excited and he seemed impressed after he finished kicking our ***** =P.
lol sleep johns. good job!

Top Bottom