• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Temple of Time~The Zelda Tournament and Video Archive~Vids Critiqued Here!

JigglyZelda003

Smash Hero
Seeing Rizen put up these vids makes me wish i had some worth putting up, but no one wants to watch my FFAs lol

RizenZelda vs Slick Rick(Fox) wifi 5-29-11
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vqTxjWADBXA
towards the end you were positioned better, but by then it was almost bye bye time and too much rolling lol

you want to get close enough where Fox can't shoot you for fear of getting Usmashed or dashgrabbed while shooting and stay in that area (its about the size of the diamond shape in the middle of FD.) Fsmash, Dtilt, and jab (somewhat) can stop most approaching mixups he tries on you so you should try some stutter step Fsmashes or something if he's trying to dash in from a laser or something

unless he's off stage no dins and never recover w/ FW on stage, if you must use it go for the ledge but landing on stage is a no no.

Kataefi

*smoke machine*
ya we need more people contributing to this thread throwing tactics around and stuff! boards need to be more active in general! Jiggs you should upload vids!

!!!

@Fudge: i do love your vids :grin: You were nairing into the front of oli's shield a lot which kept getting you grabbed, and sometimes FW'd into him as well. I'd probs say try to nair at the back of his shield instead so at least he has to think about turning/grabbing (??) must be an absolute pain to approach. good stuffs! plz post more!

@Rizen: i think you need to have a little more oomph! - less spotdodge > dsmash because it started to get predictable and more weaving around and closer to your opponent. replace your dsmashes at early %s with dtilts instead and then capitlise on the advantage. And plz teleport a little more safely XD You FW'd into the air and got punished. Also I've noticed in other vids that you keep missing dash grabs and it's not close. it's true this could be lag but try and get the spacing down for this because then at least the opponent has to spotdodge and not just watch you mispace!

JigglyZelda003

Smash Hero
i don't have anyone competent to play, the more competent ones just roll around all day. hell dash forward and roll back was one guys only offense if he couldn't shoot me lol.

Fuujin

Smash Champion
@Fudge: i do love your vids :grin: You were nairing into the front of oli's shield a lot which kept getting you grabbed, and sometimes FW'd into him as well. I'd probs say try to nair at the back of his shield instead so at least he has to think about turning/grabbing (??) must be an absolute pain to approach. good stuffs! plz post more!
Yeah I kinda stopped trying after the first stock vs the Olimar.

JigglyZelda003

Smash Hero
Yeah I kinda stopped trying after the first stock vs the Olimar.
Fuu gets brave points for taking on Olimar w/ Zelda, i probably would have stayed Sheik the whole match if my Sheik were any good. I like your vids too. and your Dtilts make me jealous mines don't trip for me like yours do lol

#HBC | Scary

Hype Incarnate
NNID
ScaryLB59
ESAM's ZP Monthlies (6/4/2011)
13th out of 17 Singles
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=304738

A little disappointing here, but everyone has those off days. I learned from this. Lost to Master Raven and Poltergust

CEO 2011 (6/10-12/2011)
3rd out of 10 Doubles
Teamed with Poltergust (Yoshi)
9th out of 48 Singles
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=305205

Amazing tourney, should've been bigger but I loved it. Zelda crushed things in teams! I lost to GDX and D-torr. I'm only pleased with how I played here. Still need to make some more improvements on both Zelda and Sheik. More Zelda here at this tourney.

@Fujin vids: Those were some stylish vids man. I must say though, that the Olimar wasn't that good, but at the same time, I was pretty impressed by your Sheik. Keep up the good work and I'm sorry I'm getting to the vids so late. If you got Sheik questions, you know who to ask.

@Rizen vids: I agree with what Kata is saying. Spotdodging as Zelda isn't really good, and even though we don't have great mobility, I'd use it more rather than trying to get into up close, spotdodging fights. Try and put some some more stuff and I'll get to it since I'm on summer break now.

AlanHaTe

Smash Ace
Low Tier Tournament AKA "Torneo Low Tier y sus amigos" (Low Tier Tournament and Friends)

2nd out of 16 singles (very few came) :c

http://ligasmashdf.foroactivo.net/t105-low-tier-tournament-4-de-junio

this was like something new around here and it included D tier characters with the exception of Luigi and Wolf. That's why they called it like that xD. Too bad it was only like 1/4 of the people that normally asists... Also too bad the TO's haven't even posted the results T_T

Mr. Johan

Smash Hero
NNID
Sonicboom93
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HhHX1tHNgik&feature=player_embedded

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0QQ77QewB_I&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xqZJSnPVO8U

Some friendlies I had with C Spyker and Tesh at last week's HOBO. I have Zelda as a secondary-for-kicks character, but it's nice to have offline friendlies once in a while with her.

I play with the idea that people are conditioned to be scared to death of the lightning kicks regardless of what percent they're at, which is why I stick to the air most of the time; it's an attempt to try to use mixups revolving around empty jumps and SHs to Usmashees and grabs, lol

Comments?

JigglyZelda003

Smash Hero
The stupid youtube uploader keeps having unknown errors. Here's 2 of 4 friendlies:
RizenZelda vs Allie(Pika) wifi 6-18-11
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Tow2j06Q4Y
failed upload
failed upload
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pkmOzpe5n-8
The only match where I successfully lightning kick pika twice didn't upload. I can't sweetspot those vs small characters >:/ . Zelda really has trouble approaching.
it is hard to sweetspot them, but after a while it becomes easier, sweetspoting from the air has always been easier for me lol

i suggest you drop fireball spam if it just isnt working out in your favor and focus on staying close enough to not be camped. the thunderbolts were beating out the fireball.

still a bit too much spot dodging and rolling, but its getting better.
This is like the "newest" vid where I appear xD it's from April but well... any feedback, critiques, advise, etc please? :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UZelPJ9x2_8&feature=related
one question

Is that Wolf on speed? cause damn! He was moving O.O

some of those roll behinds got caught, watch those.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HhHX1tHNgik&feature=player_embedded

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0QQ77QewB_I&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xqZJSnPVO8U

Some friendlies I had with C Spyker and Tesh at last week's HOBO. I have Zelda as a secondary-for-kicks character, but it's nice to have offline friendlies once in a while with her.

I play with the idea that people are conditioned to be scared to death of the lightning kicks regardless of what percent they're at, which is why I stick to the air most of the time; it's an attempt to try to use mixups revolving around empty jumps and SHs to Usmashees and grabs, lol

Comments?
third vid. close range rising crossover Nair.....i love it :bee:

conditioning fear of LKs is an interesting strategy....but whats the backup if it fails?

Kataefi

*smoke machine*
omg you play a fast zelda. I like it! I especially liked the SHing through shields to Fair sweetspot. Now I think all you need to do is continue with your jumping baits but making it more unpredictable! - I noticed you'd sometimes always double jump from the ground, so maybe mixing that up a bit with a few things and see how it goes (??).

I also like how you don't just "SH kick to Nayru's Love" as an approach tool lol

I think Ftilt and Uair are surprisingly effective against Peach moreso than other characters imo! Maybe zelda should be more aggressive with Uair when peach is high and off-stage??

post more vids!

Mr. Johan

Smash Hero
NNID
Sonicboom93
conditioning fear of LKs is an interesting strategy....but whats the backup if it fails?
That's...a good question, lol. I'd probably just go back to being defensive, and using Zelda's air speed to my advantage and be on the lookout for openings.

omg you play a fast zelda. I like it!
Thanks!

Now I think all you need to do is continue with your jumping baits but making it more unpredictable! - I noticed you'd sometimes always double jump from the ground, so maybe mixing that up a bit with a few things and see how it goes (??).
I have a habit of hitting the jump button twice in quick succession; it's a trait carried over from my wifi experience, and it hurts me when I play Sonic and Zelda. But I'm working on getting over that.

I think Ftilt and Uair are surprisingly effective against Peach moreso than other characters imo! Maybe zelda should be more aggressive with Uair when peach is high and off-stage??
The Uair bit is my offstage pressure of choice. If the opponent is offstage and is diagonally above me, I chase after him, bait the second jump, and snipe them with the Uair when they jump. I feel it works best with characters with weak jumps like Peach and Ganon, as well as characters who really can't afford to be offstage for a long period of time to play RPS with the Uair, like Wolf, Olimar, Sheik, and Marth to an extent. And if I whiff, I can get back onstage with Farore's; the opponents are going to be concerned with getting back onstage, so there's little chance for a hard hitting move to be on the way.

Granted, it's not 100% foolproof; airdodging exists, Dairs can hit me hard, and there are times where I misgauge how quickly characters can get back onstage and so I'm greeted with an aerial or a grab when I return, but I find it to be effective.

As for Ftilt, I use it for the range, lol. Gives me some safety knowing I have a longish-range move to use to outspeed any approach that may be coming.

#HBC | Scary

Hype Incarnate
NNID
ScaryLB59
Great work Riot!!!

I got some new results as well and will edit this when they are put up. Some reason, my tourney was super small but everyone was super good!

@Arizen, I'll critique this soon man.

:phone:

AlanHaTe

Smash Ace
It would be great to update the OP with the latest videos or even replace old ones(?) just saying...

I'm trying to get some new replays where I think I do well and probably some others where I need some feedback and advice, I'll try to have them uploaded this week

Mocha

Coffee Addict
In the land of princesses, frogs, and dragons
NNID
Mocha151
3DS FC
4640-0063-5592
Mocha!!!! Sup man!!!!

Hey Ed! :D

A lot's been going on, but all goods! I've been rusty from not having brawled much in the past couple of months, and I feel like I'm a little behind in Zelda's meta game, even if nothing seemingly changed xD Just went to my first tourney too, and it was fun! How've you been?

I saw your recent-ish videos you posted on AiB, and was amazed at how well you played. I also enjoyed seeing the Diddy matches, and the creative ideas you tried with the glide-tossing. I enjoy watching your Sheik too! Keep up the great work, Ed... I look forward to seeing more of your vids ^_^

It would be great to update the OP with the latest videos or even replace old ones(?) just saying...

I'm trying to get some new replays where I think I do well and probably some others where I need some feedback and advice, I'll try to have them uploaded this week
Yep! Or even move the 2010 videos to a separate thread in case we want to see how Zelda's metagame changed/and not changed throughout the years. So we could have a link here called 'Zelda 2010 Videos' which could link to a separate thread, and have the main section/first post here be updated with our more recent Zelda videos. Just a suggestion... I'm sure it's been brought up before though.

I'll keep an eye out on those vids when you post them. I've been desperately in need of stepping up my Zelda, especially with the little time I've had to play Brawl lately. Other than trying to play more matches, videos have been a bit helpful for me to try and catch up/refresh on my Zelda. So if anyone has Zelda vids, please post them! =)

Kataefi

*smoke machine*
yeah I think dm might have gone a bit inactive regarding this thread. I'll update it tonight my time if I can!!

can't post lots atm cos I'm at work but I watched recent vids. seriously everyone should critique everyone. that way this thread can come back to life and be busy :grin:

Kataefi

*smoke machine*
I love it! DM and Eh used to battle this one out quite a lot and I think Eh still visits this board so he could chip in a lot better than what I have to say.

Speaking generally: I noticed lots of usmashes on his shield -> I think you should mix in grabs if you're gonna go for this type of shield pressure. I didn't see you throw out many grabs. Maybe this is something that can be conditioned??? Based on that particular bowser I think this was something you could have taken advantage of on numerous occasions.

you did autopilot usmashes a lot when you landed them I felt. as we saw here, the opponent expects this and jumps out of the next one, so in this situation where the opponent clocks on to this pseudo string of attacks that perhaps waiting and chasing in whatever way suits you would be more effective than another usmash (??)

I wouldn't din's fire at such short distances. I saw you do this a number of times. I think if you go for this laggy attack it should be spaced like it was around the 3min mark so that retaliations OoS can be powershielded just in the knick of time. Except in that situation you dodged instead of capitalised! Best to anticipate the powershield next time, because it's going to fall down to 1 of maybe 2 situations anyway - a punish or an unexpected powershield (if you hide in shield for example).. like how I think jujux used to use it. All in all I think short burst din's should be used sparingly, if at all!

I noticed you'd rely on rolls. you rolled on a platform and got punished. And sometimes you rolled behind him when you were close to the edge which is perhaps something that your opponent would expect. I wouldn't know what to do in this situation myself. Maybe scary or riot can chip in with what they do once they get cornered!

I hope this didn't help you :mad::mad::mad:

:awesome:

Now it's someone else's turn to pitch in! I nominate... JIGGLYZELDA. GOGOG! We should make it a pre-requisite that every post in here, including people that post videos, HAVE to critique a video! :woman:
_

edit: OMG IT'S MOCHAMEW

#HBC | Scary

Hype Incarnate
NNID
ScaryLB59

AlanHaTe

Smash Ace
@Rizen - I could feel the lag just by watching the vid xD

00:16 I think the best thing you could've done was gat away and Din's or get in and shield grab, that Usmash was not the best choice

00:34 bad idea to recover straight up, maybe you got down the stage accidentally because of lag but still it would've been much better to go right when falling and recover between North and NorthWest(NNW(?))
*If you get trouble with that just keep your stick up and move it a little left or right, I can't really explain it well like this but I hope you get the idea x_x

00:55 there was a kick opportunity!! Ike would've died if you landed it successfully

00:57 nice grab

01:09 if would recommend that when you are in a position like this you teleport behind Ike or on Ike if there are no available platforms, you will be behind Ike and you can reset your spacing or if you get hit hit him could string to some nice stuff but remember to see where he "flies" when the explosion hits him

2:08 watch out with that o_o you were lucky Ike's dash attack didn't hit you, you could die in there, be careful of using Din's that close

2:24 try to never roll again to your opponent, I think that like every character can punish this badly, but I could be wrong

2:47 you just needed to edge hog and save a lot of time xD

those were the things I thought I had to mention

Also against Ike, If he Aethers too high you can always go there, PS the hit when he goes down and then Dsmash, that would kill him way early. Or if he isn't that high just time Din's Fire to hit him when his Super Armor frames end and you will at least get some nice free damage always useful.

And I think you need to work Bair OoS, it's very usefeul and sometimes can kill way early because they won't expect it.

Hope this helps you and keep it going, you can do better!

@Ed(or should I call you Scary here? lol)

that was like a movie "Low Tiers Strike Back" lol

very nice stuff and sexy double gimp/kill at 9:07

also at 11:52 and 11:54 I think you could Bair the MK but I could be wrong.

#HBC | Scary

Hype Incarnate
NNID
ScaryLB59
Thanks Alan and you can definitely call me Ed here as well lol!

As far as that critique goes for you Rizen, Alan's was absolutely spot on. There was really nothing else I could say or add on to. Keep practicing the tough recovery angles until they are second nature because there can not be hesitation while recovering.

Top Bottom