• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social The Suburbs of Onett - Ness Social Thread

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
Snagged some time to play EarthBound today, got Poo, and beat the Kraken. But, it "breathed fire" and one-shotted everyone but Ness, so they all missed out on a good exp. boost. :(

Also, I'm actually starting to not like that photo guy. He came up as soon as I landed in Scaraba. I'm like "Oh ya, go ahead and take an un-awesome picture of me and my 3 dead friends." It'd be better if he only took them when my party was alive...

Last edited:

Luco

Smash Hero
NNID
dracilus
3DS FC
2638-1462-5558
Snagged some time to play EarthBound today, got Poo, and beat the Kraken. But, it "breathed fire" and one-shotted everyone but Ness, so they all missed out on a good exp. boost. :(

Also, I'm actually starting to not like that photo guy. He came up as soon as I landed in Scaraba. I'm like "Oh ya, go ahead and take an un-awesome picture of me and my 3 dead friends." It'd be better if he only took them when my party was alive...
Noice! It's okay about the Kraken, depending on your level he can be really notorious for doing massive damage. On my first EB playthrough I found him soooo tough, I literally think I survived that battle with only Ness, who was on like 50hp and the counter was rolling down to doom. :p Funnily enough on my second try I think I beat Kraken with all of my party members still alive, but I'd also done some non-intensive grinding before that I think.

Scaraba is one of my favourite places. The Bazaar music is beastly cool, and the location is generally just awesome (desert isles are <3 )

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
Noice! It's okay about the Kraken, depending on your level he can be really notorious for doing massive damage. On my first EB playthrough I found him soooo tough, I literally think I survived that battle with only Ness, who was on like 50hp and the counter was rolling down to doom. :p Funnily enough on my second try I think I beat Kraken with all of my party members still alive, but I'd also done some non-intensive grinding before that I think.

Scaraba is one of my favourite places. The Bazaar music is beastly cool, and the location is generally just awesome (desert isles are <3 )
Well, I guess I need to find the Tenda Tribesman next...and go to the Deep Darkness...I'm not looking forward to that...

Wait...guys...didn't Lucas get his release date announced on the 20th anniversary of EarthBound's release in the USA???

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=O9kVCX24PQI

Last edited:

SuperTorn

Smash Apprentice
NNID
SuperTorn
Quick questions guys, you know how Mario has all these good, quick, unpunishable, big priority moves? Okay, what do you think of people that just abuse **** like this and only play spamming his unpunishable aerials? For example, Bair/Nair into any Smash attack and just do it over and over again and spam/abuse it because of how quick and not punishable it is. I don't complain about playstyles, I barely complain about anything regarding in-match techs and crap and I don't even lose against people that do this but I hate it because it's stressing and super annoying to play vs. I'm pretty sure you can easily do crap like this with people like Mario, Sheik and Ness I think, but Christ it makes me glad I haven't played against a Ness or Sheik that does it. What do you guys think if you know what I'm talking about?

Luco

Smash Hero
NNID
dracilus
3DS FC
2638-1462-5558
The good thing about Mario is his aerials are reasonably punishable even with his awesome mobility. If he tries to Nair you I'm pretty sure you can punish it on PS if not regular block easily. With Sheik it's a little harder, but thankfully if you break through it and do damage to Sheik, you'll kill her so early that you kinda forgive her. :p

It can frustrate me, but I actually (ironically) find projectile spam more annoying. WOE BETIDE ME ;_;

Asa

Smash Hero
So... going to CEO, first time to Florida. Pretty hyped. Hopefully can meet some of you guys there, @ Noa. Noa. ???
Me and Trela are teaming <3 Sadly no anubis...

Earthbound360

Smash Hero
NNID
Mikman360
Quick questions guys, you know how Mario has all these good, quick, unpunishable, big priority moves? Okay, what do you think of people that just abuse **** like this and only play spamming his unpunishable aerials? For example, Bair/Nair into any Smash attack and just do it over and over again and spam/abuse it because of how quick and not punishable it is. I don't complain about playstyles, I barely complain about anything regarding in-match techs and crap and I don't even lose against people that do this but I hate it because it's stressing and super annoying to play vs. I'm pretty sure you can easily do crap like this with people like Mario, Sheik and Ness I think, but Christ it makes me glad I haven't played against a Ness or Sheik that does it. What do you guys think if you know what I'm talking about?
If Mario is SHing them and tossing them out early to cover his jump, you can shield them and grab punish, or anythign else you wanna do quickly out of shield.
If he's landing with them, you can jump early and beat him to the punch, recommending nair.
Nair will also trade fairly well with a lot of characters that just throw out aerials constantly. I like to do this to Jigglypuff players that get too comfortable with their fair.
If he's doing them out of full jumps, getting under him is a big boon as Ness' uair can outprioritize a lot of Mario's aerials from beneath him. If he pulls out dair, you can punish that on block if you're smart about it.
And of course, there's the option of spotting the landing with a PKF.

It may seem like a lot of aerials are unpunishable at times, but there's often a way, you've just gotta find it. At worst, nair is often a good trade option if you have no other solution.

Last edited:

Luco

Smash Hero
NNID
dracilus
3DS FC
2638-1462-5558
The Greninja mains are discussing us for the second time, so I'd encourage peeps to go and give any extra insight they might have on the MU (I know it might be the third time you're commenting on it, but I really think these discussions are important especially considering the possibility that something will happen after EVO, be it be a front-room creation, or the construction of a tier list or MU chart). Already quoted most of the relevant posts from the MU discussion we have, but last time only 2 :4greninja: mains were there discussing it there with us, so I think it would be interesting to see what the others think, and what we do.

http://smashboards.com/threads/mast...dk-ness-5-25-6-1.369356/page-21#post-19362629

Earthbound360

Smash Hero
NNID
Mikman360
Meh... I hate discussing matchups with other boards.

Also, I feel like Ness mains give in too easily on numbers.
We're all like "hey I think it's in our favor!"
Then they're like "NO IT'S NOT."
Then we're like "okay... :sadeyes:"

Diamond Octobot

Smash Ace
NNID
Poyo97
3DS FC
2621-3110-7917

Bruh, do you even Ganonbrofist ? :troll:

Last edited:

Luco

Smash Hero
NNID
dracilus
3DS FC
2638-1462-5558
So I just realised that :4ness: Dsmash yoyo beats :4littlemac: upB/SideB towards the ledge every time. This is important seeing as Mac doesn't snap to the ledge, and if he goes too high the I think we can also punish him after block.

I'd be interested in finding out if Mac can AD through it and upB in time, and whether he can counter it and make it back on-stage.

Either way if Mac recovers from above he's fine, it's just if he recovers low then we murder him. I feel so bad for Mac, I keep noticing more and more ways to poop on him offstage. :laugh:

And yeah we might give in too easily on our ratios. :/

Last edited:

Earthbound360

Smash Hero
NNID
Mikman360
I'd be more inclined to talk it out if Ness mains were a bit more firm with positive ratios. I always feel like I'm the last one standing on saying it's a good matchup, so I just lose motivation to discuss it any further. It always feels like the other boards are way more adamant about these things.

And that Mac thing is... dirty. Especially considering dsmash sends people horizontally O_o

Awakining

Smash Apprentice
I'd be more inclined to talk it out if Ness mains were a bit more firm with positive ratios. I always feel like I'm the last one standing on saying it's a good matchup, so I just lose motivation to discuss it any further. It always feels like the other boards are way more adamant about these things.

And that Mac thing is... dirty. Especially considering dsmash sends people horizontally O_o
I'm hardheaded strong willed and obnoxious at times, so I could probably give it a shot, ahaha.

Noa.

Smash Master
I'm just not willing to argue ratios very strongly unless I have significant experience against that character. And I only feel that way about a few characters.

Diddy
Sheik
zss
Rosa
Luigi
Sonic
Kirby
Olimar
Yoshi
Megaman
Peach
Charizard
Mario
Bowser JR

I feel pretty adamant about those matchups. Others I'll just give a guess for the ratio and call it a day.

Earthbound360

Smash Hero
NNID
Mikman360
We also need to get more agreement among ourselves. How are we supposed to argue for a cohesive point if even just one side of the matchup mains don't agree with each other?

Jaguar360

Smash Lord
NNID
Jaguar360
3DS FC
0516-7348-2137
Hey people. I've been secondarying Ness for about a week or two now, so it's probably about time I came over here. I promise that I'll try to get Earthbound as I get a Wii U :4ness:

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
Hey people. I've been secondarying Ness for about a week or two now, so it's probably about time I came over here. I promise that I'll try to get Earthbound as I get a Wii U :4ness:
Lol welcome man. As long as you've got a basic knowledge of Ness and one of the three Mother/EarthBound games, you're welcome here! And if not, we'll teach you/help you out. Enjoy your stay!

Noa.

Smash Master
We also need to get more agreement among ourselves. How are we supposed to argue for a cohesive point if even just one side of the matchup mains don't agree with each other?
That's what the matchup chart is for!

We're almost there. The only contentious matchups seem to be Luigi, sonic, and Fox. And they aren't that contentious.

D

Deleted member

Do any of yall have trouble against Rosalina? Every time I try to attack her she just does the down b move where she absorbs all projectiles. It gets kind of frustrating after a while.

MintyBreeze

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0361-8437-7637
Well, instead of arguing about how the MU goes, I think generally agreeing on the best approach against your opponent would be a good idea. Elaborating on that first, with each side coming to at least a general agreement on the best way to fight Sonic, in this instance, would probably cause less disagreements. I would suggest that maybe a different thread be made for the Sonic MU in particular, seeing as how it's so pressing.

Luco

Smash Hero
NNID
dracilus
3DS FC
2638-1462-5558
The Greninja mains seem to think it's either even or in their favour atm. I can understand even but I don't see evidence to say it's a -1. *sadness*

Regardless, these MUs should really have the video evidence looked at. I think we should do that for the Sonic MU and look at how peeps approach/playfootsies/play on the defensive in neutral. Shaky's vids are up, so that might be a good chance to look at it.

As for the Greninja MU, do we even have any vids of higher level Ness mains vs. Greninja?

Also sorry for the tags you two, you don't have to discuss the MU if you don't want, I just dislike talking about people without tagging them too, it feels weird hahaha. However I tried to be a bit more firm on my stance. I see :4sonic: as our only 60:40 and I'm sceptical that it's in Froggy's favour at all. :p

Last edited:

Pazx

hoo hah
NNID
Pazx13

I think this is a problem with the game being new and character boards being full of inexperienced players. I've been messing with and checking the boards of other characters, and it seems everyone has a different idea of how matchup ratios work. Falco and Greninja boards in particular were rather optimistic as far as their matchups go whilst the ROB boards thought they lost to almost everyone, but only just. I'm admittedly not an expert on Greninja but I understand the feeling of "this character has the tools to deal with almost any other character" (see: any "honest" character), I just think a few of those perceived even matchups are definitely swaying against the frog. We don't know enough about this game to be putting numbers down for matchup ratios, sadly, and nobody does. Early Brawl matchups thought DK vs DDD was even, didn't they? I honestly don't even think we should be saying "we have an advantage in this matchup" unless it's really blatantly obvious, we should rather just focus on each characters strong and weak points and matchup specific tools.

Watching you at the Xanadu 100 was pretty sick by the way, if a few things went just slightly differently you could have won game 2 against Nairo. Keep using that Mii Gunner. I think a few optimisations to your Ness could see your catapulting yourself into the $$$$$$$. Is Bengalz vaBengal? If so, good **** :p

@ ROBnWatch ROBnWatch I've picked up ROB recently, this character is stupid good, why did nobody tell me? I might create a personal tier list at some point, actually, because so many characters in this game are criminally underrated. Any ROB tips for a newbie?

Last edited:

Luco

Smash Hero
NNID
dracilus
3DS FC
2638-1462-5558
I don't mind that we put up MU ratios/numbers this early in the meta, even if some of them could change (possibly drastically) in the future. I mean, an MU rating represents an idea of the MU at the current meta-game. Meta games will always change, and so will MUs, what's important is that the MU accurately reflects what we know right now. If that's the case, then it doesn't matter if we had made the MUs a month after release, now, or a year from now, as long as we're updating them as the meta changes significantly enough for results of these MUs to change statistically speaking.

Sir_Zedd

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Sir_Zedd
Finally back here and willing to keep learning again, I got super comfortable being second place all the time in my state and didn't bother continuing to learn when I should have, going to go back and focus a bit until I get legitimately better.

I'm pretty sure Ness is +1 or neutral against the frog, ive never had a problem there to be honest.

SuperTorn

Smash Apprentice
NNID
SuperTorn
Welp, sup guys my luck with the Ness amiibo hunt is going well. So well it's non-existent.

I want to thank GameStop, Nintendo, my family, my sweet girlfriend, Ness's dog King, Lucas's dog Boney and Giygas for letting me have my unique non-existent Ness amiibo! This thing only lasted like 3 minutes on the GameStop site and while I was lucky too lucky to even add one to my cart, I was... too slow :4sonic:

This wasn't even going to be for me directly, I wanted to buy it so I can get it and my girlfriend keeps her Ness amiibo she'll send me, meaning we'll both have one but nope. God forbid. Why is GameStop such a ****? What's the point of having a cart if it doesn't even mean it guarantees you one when it gets sold out?

Jaguar360

Smash Lord
NNID
Jaguar360
3DS FC
0516-7348-2137
The Greninja mains seem to think it's either even or in their favour atm. I can understand even but I don't see evidence to say it's a -1. *sadness*

Regardless, these MUs should really have the video evidence looked at. I think we should do that for the Sonic MU and look at how peeps approach/playfootsies/play on the defensive in neutral. Shaky's vids are up, so that might be a good chance to look at it.

As for the Greninja MU, do we even have any vids of higher level Ness mains vs. Greninja?

Also sorry for the tags you two, you don't have to discuss the MU if you don't want, I just dislike talking about people without tagging them too, it feels weird hahaha. However I tried to be a bit more firm on my stance. I see :4sonic: as our only 60:40 and I'm sceptical that it's in Froggy's favour at all. :p
Here's one, but I don't know anything about Shuriblur, so I don't really know if he counts as "high-level", but it is a tournament match so hey.
This is a really even match with Cha0tic against Jutsu. This one shows how much of a pain the characters can be to each other.

Since I feel uncomfortable online and haven't been to a tournament yet, I don't feel that I should be posting in the matchup thread anymore until I get some tourney experience, so I'll just throw my 2 cents here. The neutral game is pretty even. Greninja can toss Shurikens and shff f-airs to space and bait Ness to approach and go in with a dash grab if he starts blocking, while Ness can use his fairly safe and strong short hopped f-air, n-air and b-air to try to get in along with using the fear of his good grabs and throws to get Greninja if he starts blocking. In general Greninja's options are slightly better on the ground since he has good, quick, safe options in jab and d-tilt which can usually beat out Ness' own jabs and tilts, while Ness's aerials are quicker and safer overall.

Both characters punish each other really hard. Greninja has great combos and followups from throws, dash attack, d-tilt and n-air to punish as well as quick, strong attacks with good range such as forward-smash and u-smash. Another boon for Greninja in this area is that he has the mobility to punish most unsafe attacks that Ness throws out from mid and long range, such as whiffed PK Fires, PK Thunders, poor recoveries and smash attacks. Ness on the other hand, punishes Greninja harder on a consistent basis, especially if he gets PK Fire into a grab/strong attack or punishes a landing with PK Thunder 2. It should probably be noted that with Greninja's below-average frame data, Ness technically has a decent amount of opportunities to punish, but he doesn't have the mobility like Greninja does, so it evens out. Both kill really well, though it takes slightly less effort with Ness.

Both characters can harass each other offstage, but Greninja wins here. Obviously, Hydro Pump gimps PK Thunder, which is a huge deal. However, Greninja also has a quick b-air to knock Ness out of his double jump and f-air is hard for Ness to come back from offstage, so HP is not the only factor. Despite Greninja's amazing recovery though, he still fears Ness' PK Thunder and all aerials sans u-air when recovering. Greninja definitely wins the offstage war though.

All in all, I think the matchup is slightly in Greninja's favor, either a 60:40 or a 55:45. Very winnable for both characters, but Ness really needs to play carefully in this one and Greninja needs to be on his toes to look out for PK Thunder 2s and f-smashes as well as punish opportunities for himself.

yoshi8984

Smash Lord
NNID
TimmyTendo
Switch FC
SW-6176-0583-0131
Hey guys, question; could D-Throw > Nair possibly be a new thing, especially on a fast faller like Fox?

Here, I tested it on a Level 9 CPU Fox (sorry for the bad quality and the wrong orientation cause I had to suspend my phone while playing to show that Training considers it a true combo), but I believe he has to DI upwards. You also have to be VERY quick and fastfall the Nair, but not too quick where you input a Fair by accident lol. I manage to do 3 sets of those on Fox from 0% (and remember there is no Rage in training), so I think it might be worth using as opposed to D-Throw > Fair since you get more damage from this lol.

Noa.

Smash Master
You can dthrow nair. You can also dthrow uair, and dthrow fair uair, dthrow fair nair, and dthrow fair fair. It all depends on their percent and DI.

Tikao

Smash Ace
I haven't realy been active here or smash in generel, so is there anything big/important i missed? (except Lucas getting released)

PSIBoy

Smash Lord
Ness's down-throw shakes the screen more. It's probably his most significant buff in his Smash career.
And his bat makes that 'crack' sound when reflecting projectiles. But not as significant as 'shaking the screen' is.

Welp, sup guys my luck with the Ness amiibo hunt is going well. So well it's non-existent.

I want to thank GameStop, Nintendo, my family, my sweet girlfriend, Ness's dog King, Lucas's dog Boney and Giygas for letting me have my unique non-existent Ness amiibo! This thing only lasted like 3 minutes on the GameStop site and while I was lucky too lucky to even add one to my cart, I was... too slow :4sonic:

This wasn't even going to be for me directly, I wanted to buy it so I can get it and my girlfriend keeps her Ness amiibo she'll send me, meaning we'll both have one but nope. God forbid. Why is GameStop such a ****? What's the point of having a cart if it doesn't even mean it guarantees you one when it gets sold out?
At least you weren't at summer school when this happened. I didn't even know about this until you talked about it. Anyways, good luck in the future if you continue the hunt.

MintyBreeze

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0361-8437-7637
@ ROBnWatch ROBnWatch I've picked up ROB recently, this character is stupid good, why did nobody tell me? I might create a personal tier list at some point, actually, because so many characters in this game are criminally underrated. Any ROB tips for a newbie?
@ Pazx Pazx : Besides using your lasers and gyros to pressure the enemy when they're coming towards you, his D-Smash is awesome for catching roll-happy characters; If you want to space yourself, you have the option of using your N-Air, which swirls around you, and you can actually move a little bit during it. His Up-Smash actually has an attack at R.O.B's feet, that drags the enemy up into the explosion. Use this to trip up people who think it's just for aerial defense, especially since it's one of his best attacks.

Just come over to the R.O.B boards! We'd be happy to welcome you in and teach you about the different MUs, dude.

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
@ Pazx Pazx : Besides using your lasers and gyros to pressure the enemy when they're coming towards you, his D-Smash is awesome for catching roll-happy characters; If you want to space yourself, you have the option of using your N-Air, which swirls around you, and you can actually move a little bit during it. His Up-Smash actually has an attack at R.O.B's feet, that drags the enemy up into the explosion. Use this to trip up people who think it's just for aerial defense, especially since it's one of his best attacks.

Just come over to the R.O.B boards! We'd be happy to welcome you in and teach you about the different MUs, dude.
Lol, I told him some of this in a conversation. But ya, add what I said to this and you've got a solid R.O.B., @ Pazx Pazx .

Luco

Smash Hero
NNID
dracilus
3DS FC
2638-1462-5558
Discussions over there are intense. :p

Sorry if I stepped out of line there @Liberation I felt like I was being more assertive than I should have. Maybe I should take a break from these things, I've been feeling myself get more annoyed generally as of late. :(

Top Bottom