• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social The Suburbs of Onett - Ness Social Thread

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
Lol, I'm part of the social R.O.B. thread and the Q&A. We get some pretty good discussions there.

Anyways, much as I love him, why are we talking about R.O.B. in the Ness boards? Let's get back on topic! I plan to get my Ness Amiibo this weekend, yay me!!!

MintyBreeze

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0361-8437-7637
Oooooh... Greninja plays very oddly, but that's fitting for a ninja. I'd imagine that the players that main him are very analytical in their MUs because of that.

Didn't mean to turn the discussion toward R.O.B, sorry. e-e

Last edited:

Luco

Smash Hero
NNID
dracilus
3DS FC
2638-1462-5558
Oooooh... Greninja plays very oddly, but that's fitting for a ninja. I'd imagine that the players that main him are very analytical in their MUs because of that.
So does this mean that the Ness mains are all adventurous, courageous, optimistic smashers? I think that's really sweet. <3

MintyBreeze

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0361-8437-7637
So does this mean that the Ness mains are all adventurous, courageous, optimistic smashers? I think that's really sweet. <3
e-e Interesting conclusion... I'm curious about something... Do you think there'll be an initial clash of players who choose to leave Ness in favor of Lucas?

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
e-e Interesting conclusion... I'm curious about something... Do you think there'll be an initial clash of players who choose to leave Ness in favor of Lucas?
If so, I'd rather stay out of it. If you prefer Lucas, go ahead and main Lucas. I'll stick with Ness.

MintyBreeze

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0361-8437-7637
If I had to guess, a few people would just be happy and switch between them according to the situation. Hopefully, though, nothing hateful comes out of it.

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
I main R.O.B., Mr. G&W, Greninja, Villager, and Ness. What does that make me?

MintyBreeze

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0361-8437-7637
Well, if you also happened to main G&W, all of the other characters would make sense, according to one of the plot points in the Subspace Emissary.

MintyBreeze

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0361-8437-7637
Oh, God, the Subspace Emissary implied so many messed-up things about G&W.
Remember all of those shadowy enemies that you fought? Like, Dark Peach, Dark Zelda, all of the little black particles that sort of looked like cotton balls?

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
Remember all of those shadowy enemies that you fought? Like, Dark Peach, Dark Zelda, all of the little black particles that sort of looked like cotton balls?
So, basically, I don't have a good or evil side? Because Tabuu used G&W as the base for the Subspace Army for that reason...

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
Nope, you're neutral. Which is probably a good thing.
Ha ha! That's funny, I'm part Swiss, and Switzerland is famous for being neutral.

Funny how everything works out like that. But seriously, I'm getting my Ness Amiibo this weekend. Let's keep the conversation on Ness this time.

Luco

Smash Hero
NNID
dracilus
3DS FC
2638-1462-5558
I wouldn't worry, it is a social after all. :grin:

In regards to Lucas, I see little tension. Ness and Lucas have always been the PSI Bros. in my book, if anything I feel like we've gained an ally. Besides, the MU we'll all probably complain about the least is our MU with each other (which probably won't be any worse than a 1 or -1 either way), and then we can all get to helping each other out. <3

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
I wouldn't worry, it is a social after all. :grin:

In regards to Lucas, I see little tension. Ness and Lucas have always been the PSI Bros. in my book, if anything I feel like we've gained an ally. Besides, the MU we'll all probably complain about the least is our MU with each other (which probably won't be any worse than a 1 or -1 either way), and then we can all get to helping each other out. <3
Same here. Back in Brawl they had some differences, which set them apart a bit, but nothing too drastic. Since I never cared much about Mother/EarthBound at the time, when I first realized they were semi-clones, I thought "They're cousins and/or siblings!" We definitely got a good friend back with Lucas joining Ness as the two Mother/EarthBound representatives.

MintyBreeze

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0361-8437-7637
Part of me wonders if there'll be a good 2 v 2 dynamic with them. Surely Nintendo would make it so that pairing them is at least a decent choice? It seems too fitting to me.

Luco

Smash Hero
NNID
dracilus
3DS FC
2638-1462-5558
Lucas and Ness have always been godlike doubles partners, but funnily enough they tend to do better with other characters because they don't heal fast enough off each other as opposed to ZSS or Fox or someone similar. They're not bad partners, but my brother and I never truly got them to work in Brawl. Maybe smash 4 will be different though!

Lochy

Smash Ace
NNID
Lochinator
Part of me wonders if there'll be a good 2 v 2 dynamic with them. Surely Nintendo would make it so that pairing them is at least a decent choice? It seems too fitting to me.
Well they would be able to heal each other which is good. I'm not sure how they will help each other that much. But seeing them together in doubles would be fun nontheless

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
Obvious team is obvious. Dang it, Nintendo! Keep some surprises for us later!

MintyBreeze

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0361-8437-7637
Lucas and Ness have always been godlike doubles partners, but funnily enough they tend to do better with other characters because they don't heal fast enough off each other as opposed to ZSS or Fox or someone similar. They're not bad partners, but my brother and I never truly got them to work in Brawl. Maybe smash 4 will be different though!
Perhaps. If I'm to be honest, I don't think I could really get into doubles that much. Just the idea of being able to hit a friendly teammate scares me in any game, let alone one like Smash Bros, and I think it could get more unfair than in 1 v 1. Potentially. What is Ness's role in 2 v 2?

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
In a 2 v 2, I would think Ness is the projectile-aerial guy. The other character he is playing with should be more of a close-combat character with decent air game but a bit better on the ground.

Luco

Smash Hero
NNID
dracilus
3DS FC
2638-1462-5558
Perhaps. If I'm to be honest, I don't think I could really get into doubles that much. Just the idea of being able to hit a friendly teammate scares me in any game, let alone one like Smash Bros, and I think it could get more unfair than in 1 v 1. Potentially. What is Ness's role in 2 v 2?
Ahh, you just have to not worry about hitting your partner or even killing them sometimes (it happens, trust me we've all made hideous hideous mistakes indeed! :p ) and you'll be fine. :grin:

Ness tends to take the role of a stock tank, being able to go in and take damage without caring so much because as soon as he separates the opposing team or gets them off-stage, he and his partner can heal. You should see some old sets of Shaky teaming with NickRiddle, and watch them get like 60% heals in a few seconds. They're a genius team and really showcase what Ness can do in doubles.

Lucas takes the same role, and the person to look up for Lucas is Mekos and his various doubles partners. I think he's teamed with M2K, NickRiddle (when Shaky wasn't around), DEHF and more. I'm pretty sure he's teamed with a Dedede who used waddle doos to heal him. :D

MintyBreeze

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0361-8437-7637
Ahh, you just have to not worry about hitting your partner or even killing them sometimes (it happens, trust me we've all made hideous hideous mistakes indeed! :p ) and you'll be fine. :grin:

Ness tends to take the role of a stock tank, being able to go in and take damage without caring so much because as soon as he separates the opposing team or gets them off-stage, he and his partner can heal. You should see some old sets of Shaky teaming with NickRiddle, and watch them get like 60% heals in a few seconds. They're a genius team and really showcase what Ness can do in doubles.

Lucas takes the same role, and the person to look up for Lucas is Mekos and his various doubles partners. I think he's teamed with M2K, NickRiddle (when Shaky wasn't around), DEHF and more. I'm pretty sure he's teamed with a Dedede who used waddle doos to heal him. :D
Besides that initial jump that makes you actually work with your teammate... 2v2 does sound fairly fun! Just that I've had bad experiences online in FG, though For Fun is, well, fun.

Oh, right, right, his PSI Magnet must be an absolute beast in this mode, I'm guessing? Especially if you have a blaster like Fox, they can just heal Ness so quickly, I'd bet... That's actually very awesome! Using team attack to actually heal your teammates. I'd imagine Ness is a good pick in doubles, then.

Dedede as a partner, huh? Something tells me he'd act as a meat shield. e-e How do you guys feel about Ness against heavyweights like Bowser and Dedede?

MintyBreeze

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0361-8437-7637
Well they would be able to heal each other which is good. I'm not sure how they will help each other that much. But seeing them together in doubles would be fun nontheless
Something on your profile tells me you'd be especially happy to see that.

Luco

Smash Hero
NNID
dracilus
3DS FC
2638-1462-5558
Besides that initial jump that makes you actually work with your teammate... 2v2 does sound fairly fun! Just that I've had bad experiences online in FG, though For Fun is, well, fun.

Oh, right, right, his PSI Magnet must be an absolute beast in this mode, I'm guessing? Especially if you have a blaster like Fox, they can just heal Ness so quickly, I'd bet... That's actually very awesome! Using team attack to actually heal your teammates. I'd imagine Ness is a good pick in doubles, then.

Dedede as a partner, huh? Something tells me he'd act as a meat shield. e-e How do you guys feel about Ness against heavyweights like Bowser and Dedede?
Yep! The team attack mechanic means Ness and Lucas can heal from each other at will. It also makes them godlike doubles partners with a large section of the cast. Themselves, ZSS, ROB, Lucario, Mewtwo, Charizar, Bowser, Fox, Megaman, Zelda, the list goes on and on... :grin:

Luco

Smash Hero
NNID
dracilus
3DS FC
2638-1462-5558
I'd say Megaman and possibly Pacman, but I'm not sure. Megaman seems to me the only one there that might be a legit -1, however new information came to me recently saying that if Pacman puts down a trampoline half on and half off the ledge then we HAVE to bounce on it no matter what, like we apparently can't escape it at all, meaning he can get some nasty followups, and if the trampoline is red when we bounce on it then we fall to our deaths. Considering that and the fact that Pacman has a really means onstage game, I'm not surprised at all if the MU ends up being even or, if his on-stage game is scary enough, in his favour slightly.

Megaman is the usual. Mixes up his projectiles so we can't absorb, zones us out really well, is heavy as heck, etc. :p

MintyBreeze

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0361-8437-7637
Those all seem like fair choices... Although, there could be a few annoying ones in there, like Pit, Wario, maybe even the Brawler.

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
Mii Brawler is the best of the Mii Fighters. Then the Gunner, and Swordfighter in last. Wario, I think, would be the easiest of the bunch you guys mentioned. Pac-man is decent, but beatable. Mega Man, ya, we're gonna have a tough time. But we've got plenty of options when he goes for the Forward Smash. Absorb or return to sender (Home Run style). Pit, after a while just gets easy, in my experience.

Top Bottom