• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social The Suburbs of Onett - Ness Social Thread

Noa.

Smash Master
In the Us I would rank the best stated in this order

NY/NJ
Socal
Florida
Texas
MD/VA

I would say these states have the biggest pools of talented players

Jaguar360

Smash Lord
NNID
Jaguar360
3DS FC
0516-7348-2137
I know right. I asked for high level play and while MD/VA is one of the strongest regions in the US, it's not like every player there is great. I said that the only quality Ness player in MD/VA was you Mik!. Not to say that the others are bad, just not fully representative of good Ness play.
What was I supposed to do? There is little to no footage of NAKAT or Mik! playing versus Greninja in a tournament setting. I found the best I could since those were the only tournament Ness versus Greninja there and I even said that I was unsure of whether it counted as high level. I don't even think Techei's that great as Greninja, though beating GimR is cool I guess and he plays decently. I have no results myself though, so I can't really say too much about that.

Phew, I've been out doing tournament after tournament. Haven't had the time to post or read up on this thread. Huge catch-up post ahead, be warned!

Hahah thanks dude. Did you see me win against Dunnobro? I SD'd twice but still took the set lol. And Nairo is really friggin good. I think I was holding up with Ness for a while in the first game, but the gimps threw me off and I felt that he knew the Ness matchup well since he plays with Nakat. I tried to hit him with the lack of matchup knowledge in Gunner :p

And yeah, Bengalz is vaBengalz. I managed to eliminate him from Saturday Night Rumble a few days after S@X 100 X3

I was also on stream last night if you were watching. Played against JDawg, Logic, and Poyo. I must say, it feels really good to eliminate the person that put you into losers >:D

People seem to be referencing Techei's matches from S@X as of late. With as much respect to the Nesses who play him on stream, I really want to state that they do NOT embody all of what Ness can do. I'm probably the best Ness in our region (I'm from the same region as Techei), but have yet to play him on stream. Regardless, having played him a lot (and most of the time winning), I can say with good confidence that Ness doesn't have trouble with Greninja unless he's off stage without a DJ. These videos being used simply do not offer solid evidence of the matchup being in Greninja's favor.

Greninja beats Ness on the ground yes, but only slightly honestly. Both characters are usually just fishing for grabs anyways. The kicker here is that Ness beats Greninja in the air, but by a fairly wide margin.

I honestly kind of disagree with each character punishing each other hard. Geninja has this weird tech that allows him to escape multi-hit moves using Shadow Sneak. He can slip out of fair chains, and jab out of PKF. On the flipside, Ness' floaty DJ and air dodge, combined with his quick combo breaking nair prevent him from being juggled with uthrows and uairs fairly often. I also have to disagree greatly with their kill potential being even. Ness has the best kill options in the game, never having to actually set up or even risk a whole lot for his KOs. His bair and uair are flexible, safe, and very strong, And of course, bthrow is probably the best KO move in the game in this current meta. Greninja really just can't compare.

Greninja wins the offstage game, but that's fairly obvious. Ness can go off for about 1 aerial before needing to retreat with a DJ. Ness' should NEVER go out with their DJ because if Greninja gets back without getting hit, you are forced to use PKT2 and will basically die. This doesn't determine the matchup.

I'm shocked that Greninja mains genuinely think that they win this matchup. If anything, I feel like Ness wins it very slightly.

Lol, I hope it wasn't hurtful in any way, I just prefer when we debate with confidence. I've checked out some of the discussion (skimmed it last night), and I'll probably tune in with my input at some point. I don't like how they're using S@X as an example for Greninja winning the matchup. Techie never plays me on stream, and I'm the best Ness in the region.

Megaman is tough, but I still think it's even. It's very slightly in his favor, but not even 45:55 IMO. No good MM player will just feed you random fsmashes to bat or magnet though.
Pacman is tricky. I think it could possibly be even right now, but it might just be because I don't know enough about his big book of tricks. I'm currently even in sets against Zage's Pacman, and he always pulls out new tricks to catch me off guard. Catching the little bugger is a pain though. He's always walling himself in with trampolines, hydrants, and charging the fruit midair.

As for this teams discussion, Zamus is still my fave. Dsmash heals, dsmash combos, dthrow combos, they cover each others bad matchups, it's amazing.
Thanks for the reply. I still don't agree on the conclusion, but I like most of what you say and the reply was good. I've said what I've needed to say and don't really want to continue this since just reading about this topic from the Greninja MU thread and this social is getting to me. Thanks again.

Luco

Smash Hero
NNID
dracilus
3DS FC
2638-1462-5558
I promise I still love the :4greninja: board members even if I disagree with them sometimes. BC is a cool dude (hopefully I can play him when I visit England), Fullmoon is really thoughtful and offers good advice and Liberation and I know each other really well from elsewhere on the boards, so not to worry. :grin:

Last edited:

Yink

The Robo-PSIentist
NNID
SSBYink
Sup guys. If any of you are in the Midwest and coming out to Smash N Splash tomorrow I want to get a Fuzzy Pickles picture. :)

D

Deleted member

One of the best animes and one of the best games in one picture (y)

Also this thread needs to be more active D:!!

Last edited by a moderator:

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
Agreed. I missed a notification and haven't been here in 2 days, and all I missed was 8 messages.

MintyBreeze

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0361-8437-7637
e-e Interesting... So, besides Ness. Who do you all like to play as? I'm mostly playing as R.O.B, but trying to get better at Bowser and Little Mac.

D

Deleted member

e-e Interesting... So, besides Ness. Who do you all like to play as? I'm mostly playing as R.O.B, but trying to get better at Bowser and Little Mac.
Aside from Ness I mainly play Marth, Lucina, Robin, and Link the most. And everyone else in my signature.

Noa.

Smash Master
For those who haven't heard before, I only play Ness. Even after hours if playing friendliest I'll just play Ness. I don't find anyone else as fun.

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
I've already told you guys my 5 mains. Now if only I could get ICies back...

MintyBreeze

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0361-8437-7637
For those who haven't heard before, I only play Ness. Even after hours if playing friendliest I'll just play Ness. I don't find anyone else as fun.
Wait, so you never end up switching even if someone specifically counters you with another character...? Huh. By doing that,
do you think you get more experience than someone who just switches as soon as things get rough?

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
I hope Icies never come back. Hated playing against them.
You're dead to me.

Lol just kidding. But seriously, why do you hate on them??? Chaingrabbing is gone this game! That rids them of their most powerful technique. They'll be much more balanced this time.

Goodness me, nine characters? How do you switch between all of them without getting confused?
Between this and all the "cool" puns (and/or any other word relating to cold) on the ICies thread, I've about had it with puns. You can't escape them!!!

SuperTorn

Smash Apprentice
NNID
SuperTorn
I used to be like that too with Fox, same reason and everything up until Smash 4. I quit being like that though because of how balanced I think Smash 4 is so picking up a character is easier for me. Even though Fox has had great spots in tier lists in every Smash game I just loved the way he played in every game, and because I loved Star Fox 64 to death. From my personal experience and understanding where you're coming from, even though I'm sure I won't convince you otherwise, playing multiple characters IS super awesome. I'll admit though, Ness is probably the most unique character in the series so I can't take that away

D

Deleted member

Goodness me, nine characters? How do you switch between all of them without getting confused?
I play like 15 different characters xD I just play Marth, Lucina, Link, Robin, and Ness the most; Pit, Dark Pit, and Kirby I play at a medium rate I guess, and the rest are secondaries.

MintyBreeze

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0361-8437-7637
Well, that's a diverse list of characters, but you need to pick up Bowser. Start punching things without thinking of the consequences!

D

Deleted member

Well, that's a diverse list of characters, but you need to pick up Bowser. Start punching things without thinking of the consequences!
Is Ganondorf good enough? xD I forgot he's another character I secondary.

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
Puns!

Positively loving Bowser... Don't want to get off-topic from Ness, but do you think he has the potential to be overpowered? Ganondorf is wonderful for punching and kicking things. Good choice.
I swear, sometimes I regret joining SmashBoards, lol.

Lochy

Smash Ace
NNID
Lochinator
I main Ness but Captain Falcon is close second and Olimar is my pocket character. But he may get replaced with Lucas.
I espically like Falcon, he covers Ness' bad match ups pretty well and has crazy combos. You just have to time it right.

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
I main Ness but Captain Falcon is close second and Olimar is my pocket character. But he may get replaced with Lucas.
I espically like Falcon, he covers Ness' bad match ups pretty well and has crazy combos. You just have to time it right.
Stop rubbing it in man. -__-

PSIBoy

Smash Lord
Well, Toon Link is my co-main with Lucas becoming my third if I can use him well enough. At worst, he'll be a secondary. For secondaries, I particularly like to use Ganondorf, Falco, and Lucario. However, I am quite proficient with Kirby, Dark Pit, and Wario, enough to also consider them secondaries, but less commonly used. Oh yeah, and I'm still learning Mewtwo. I'm decent, but not that good.

Last edited:

MintyBreeze

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0361-8437-7637
What about characters that we've tried to get into and play as, but just never really grasped their playstyle?

Although I've tried to play as Samus... I can't bring myself to spam missiles and charge beams and end up getting punched in the face as I rush forward.

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
I try to play everyone as best I can, but if I'm battling someone I know has the ability to beat me, I'll stick with my mains and maybe go with some of my secondaries (which include the likes of Little Mac, Sonic, Mii Brawler, Lucario, Mewtwo, Ike, etc.). Basically, there's too many characters to main in this game, so I've got 5 mains, and most of the rest of everyone is grouped into my "Secondaries/Fun to Play As" group, with the remaining few being in the "I Don't Care" group.

Last edited:

Pazx

hoo hah
NNID
Pazx13
Characters I use in this game (roughly most to least used):
:4diddy::4rob::4ness::4metaknight::4miibrawl::4falco:

Other than that, the only characters I enjoy using are :4jigglypuff:, :4pit:, :4falcon:, and :4littlemac:. I'm really hoping for Lucas (and Wolf???? pls) to click with me because a lot of the characters in this game just don't seem that enjoyable to me in comparison to Brawl.

Earthbound360

Smash Hero
NNID
Mikman360
Some people have been starting to recognize me as the only guy who actually uses Mii Gunner in tournaments. She's my secondary to Ness easily, and she's sooooo much fun.

After Gunner, I like to play Jiggs, but I haven't gotten her to a tournament level yet. I'm hoping to learn a thing or two from Serynder.

Of course, I still play Ness way more than any of those guys because he's just that much more fun for me.
Outside of them, I tried to play Mega Man, but I can't move well with lemons. I wanted to play Pacman, but I hate his grab too much. I kinda wanted to play Luigi early on, but I couldn't stand his lack of aerial mobility. Rosalina was once a candidate, but her aerials just felt so long and awkward to me. And lastly, WFT was another potential choice for me, but I can't stand her awful hitboxes lol.

Top Bottom