• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Sonic Glitch/Tech/Non-obvious move list & Gimp Guide *updated 2/16*

TwinkleToes

Smash Lord
zomgosh thanks Tenki :O
I have a poor memory for all this stuff since I never really gave it much attention. I still think it's mostly useless considering you can't do anything special out of it.

The_Next_Boss

Smash Journeyman
Well, if you say so. It's probably going to either rot on this page or get added to the front page for all to see, so it really doesn't make a difference who I tell it to.

Anyways, first off I found out that you can do this with all characters at some point, but it effects Sonic the most. Why? I don't know. Heck, it may even effect Luigi the same way if you do it right.

First you smash the control stick (not the c-stick, HAH) to the side and let it rebound to its original position, like doing a dash. The catch? EVER SO SLIGHTLY tilt the control stick in the same direction you were dashing. If done correctly, instead of Sonic's small-dash ending you would normally see while Sonic stops completely void of motion (not where he pushes his feet in front of him, not THAT dash), you will see the animation, but Sonic will slide while in that animation, eventually either stopping completely or entering the dash animation again.

How will it be useful?

1. It could be the start of moonwalking. (god forbid it does)
2. Mindgames.
3. Cancels that make the word 'cancel' be cancelled.

If the name isn't taken, it would be called the dash slide. However I see that during my time away from here things got a lot busier, so it's probably taken anyways.

EDIT: I don't got a video camera to actually show you what it is, maybe it's already up on Youtube somewhere.

Deathwish238

Smash Apprentice
lmao ^^^^ poor guy but good find. i remember i made a thread about this but only 1 person was discussing it with me...but then again i didn't really find anything ground breaking except the screech stop and fox trot but everybody knew about the fox trot =/

just wondering does anybody have a classic controller??? cuz i use one and its harder for me to do the slow run and grinding or surfing. i think the analog on the controller is a little bit harder to do it with =/

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
I personally can only use the GameCube controller. Everything else feels so wrong...besides I find it's pretty simple with the analog stick.

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
You should use the gamecube/virtual console.

aerials with c-stick and DI with joystick alone is the reason.
Yeah, I forgot to mention that...that's a very good reason to use the GameCube controller. So many more possibilities...makes DAC a lot easier too.

The_Next_Boss

Smash Journeyman
I haven't seen one classic controller yet. Me and my friends all play with GC controllers and that's fine with us, except for the one guy who said he'd own us all if he used the Wiimote + Nunchuk.

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
I haven't seen one classic controller yet. Me and my friends all play with GC controllers and that's fine with us, except for the one guy who said he'd own us all if he used the Wiimote + Nunchuk.
Yea I have a friend like that...he sucks though, hahah. Just the other day he said to me
"Dude! Guess what I found out in Brawl!"
"What?"
"If you hold in the A button, you hold in the attack and keep doing it!"
"...I knew that before the game even came out."
'WELL IT'S AWESOME!"

:laugh: Yea, but he's cool though

Deathwish238

Smash Apprentice
well a classic controller is the same thing as a gamecube but there's a few exceptions i got it cuz i heard to shield with the classic controller is a bit faster than the GC controller since the GC controller this time you have to lock the L or R button ALL the way down...idk stupid i guess. but anyways the classic controller's analog is a lil bit different on the way that it goes back so its harder for me to grind/surf and to stutter step cuz the c-stick and analog stick are both much closer with the classic controller =/ and yeah i was really used to the GC controller but i adjusted....hmmm...i you people are convincing me to go back the gamecube...i'll give a try and see how i play.

and the classic control isn't the wii mote for the people who think it is lol just in case.

Napilopez

Smash Lord
WiiChuck for the win.

Forever.

You can aerial wih Dpad and DI with analog.

DAC is at least as easy with WiiChuck as well.

Not saying that its better than GC/Classic, but its at least as good.

Tenki

Smash Hero
Ehm, work moar on foxtrots and pivots?

Every character, it makes sonic top tier, ill find the vid for you. Something about true pivot, idk, phanna stuff, I think you can do anything out of this dash dance though, not just a grab or dash attack or usmash since it's a pivot, but only at the ends of the dashdance.

Sonic's pwns http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ioUt7qjfh6Y
So, I personally dislike being stuck in initial dash mode, but really, if you're paying attention, it isn't too bad for Sonic.

I mean, you can pivot f-smash, pivot grab, foxtrot, 'dashdance' like in the video, and, unique to Sonic, surf/grind slide, slow run/instant-screechstop, and most importantly, side-B cancel and B-reversal pivot>shield.

`.`; more practice on this, anyone?

I vaguely remember Izzy mentioning something about using foxtrots to bait approaches, but I envisioned something more clunky looking. I now believe that what he was talking about was similar to that "dashdance" in the video.

TwinkleToes

Smash Lord
I think it could work but spacing with Sonic is always an issue. It'll be difficult to land a forward smash on someone when you're skidding around the place, but like I said I'll reserve judgment.

Browny

Smash Hater
ive been trying to practice that but its so difficult to remember to actually do it. the few times i do do it, i screw up the spacing ever so slightly and the fsmash misses. with a lot of practice however i think its a really good tech worth learning. you see how worked up yoshi/pit mains get over dragonic reverse/angelic step, this is similar imo

Tenki

Smash Hero
Yeah, Sonic's is the most versatile of any character since he can control how far he slides (via tap length OR "grind"), how fast he slides (tap length), and he can shield/grab out of it (side-B cancel).

hoorah. I can pull it off at phanna speed about 80% of the time now. Can't use it effectively at all yet though ;__;

TheRockSays

Smash Journeyman
did any one master the side b oval jump its very hard to do i need some tips it came out a couple of times.

Tenki

Smash Hero
The fast jump? (aka spinshot)

It's all timing. If you're using a GC controller, try holding it for like 1 second then sliding your thumb from B to A.

If you're using default settings on wiichuck, you can hit A while charging and it'll work.

If you really can't do it with a GC controller, you can try doing it out of down-B instead (flick C-stick sideways while charging down-B in midair)

Tenki

Smash Hero
Someone explain to me how to do short glide toss.

Sometimes I can do a glide toss that does like, minimal distance.

Other times, I end up sliding too far to do anything useful.

Tenki

Smash Hero
Ah, no, the 'wavedash' slide-throw if you have a small item in hand.

(input: Roll+C-stick in direction of item throw at about the same time)

Tenki

Smash Hero
I said this in the mindgames thread, but if you do it too quickly after you let go of the ctrl stick (to end a foxtrot), there's a good chance that the game will read the input and begin a slow run (it begins instantly out of the initial dash's stopping animation, so you can't 'pivot' the slow run), which is why I had trouble with it at first.

I don't do phanna's "true pivot" (tap forward, sliiight tilt backwards very quickly), but I do a "dashdance pivot" (forward-back quickly), just delayed to start as Sonic's front foot begins to 'relax' (it starts to slide backwards just a bit). After a bit of working on timing and finding that 'moment', you can do the foxtrot dance at about the same speed as phanna, without worrying about the slight tilt for a true pivot.

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
i came in late to this convo so can someone explain how he was doing that and what options from it are available. i could really use a new tech to unstale my sonic game.

also glide tossing is all about the timing, if you do it near the beginning of the throw sonic gets madd distance off of it. for me it works just fine if i roll and just hit A as a do it

Tenki

Smash Hero
i came in late to this convo so can someone explain how he was doing that and what options from it are available. i could really use a new tech to unstale my sonic game.

also glide tossing is all about the timing, if you do it near the beginning of the throw sonic gets madd distance off of it. for me it works just fine if i roll and just hit A as a do it
Basically, Phanna's method of doing a "true pivot" is to, at "dashdance" speed, tap forward and SLIGHTLY tilt backwards, so you kind of slide in the direction of the first tap and turn around.

I'm not technically accurate enough to pull it off, so I just use dd to change my momentum/direction, and use F-smashes out of foxtrot, grab, or charge-cancel the initial dash.

out of Phanna's method, you move the direction, and turn around - in an idle standing state, while in my sloppy dd method, you move the direction and turn around in initial dash state.

Either method will still pull off the "foxtrot dance" effectively, it's just that you're free to tilt and jab out of Phanna's method, if you end with that.

I'm thinking that an alternative would be to, on the final foxtrot, just begin a slow run, screech stop, and you should be able to attack out of it only slightly slower than if you did Phanna's "true pivot" but faster than charge-cancelling.

StrongGaia

Smash Rookie
This is really well done; Nice work TwinkleToes, thanks for this. I'll be sure to add some of these moves into my gameplay.

Rkey

Smash Journeyman
^^Yeah, Sonic mains do that all the time instead of pivot grabs (b-reversal->shield cancel->grab)

And Marth's do it to do reverse side bs or shield breakers out of a dash.
I came here to find out what he ment, I have found nothing. Explain to me!

Tenki

Smash Hero
Sonic can't wavebounce, btw, if that's what you're asking for.

I mentioned how you can manually do a Side B-reversal without using the C-stick with:
[forward]+ > (almost immediately) [back]

Basically, you can do this to turn Sonic around and do a backwards side-B while he's running. Sonic's side-B is special because you can shield to cancel it while it's charging, so you can grab out of it.

And he said that some Marth players will run away to bait you to come at them then do a B-reversal to immediately slash at you.

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
Well this doesn't seem to be mentioned, it's nothing major but Sonic can do this thing called "Combat Walking" which he basically can do a whole bunch of jabs to move himself forward I doubt it can be used for anything but it's good to know and only Sonic, Squirtle, Zero Suit, and Ike can do it I believe. Who knows, maybe somehow this could prove to be useful?

Tenki

Smash Hero
^i do it lol
--------

So, the secret D-throw move works on:
D3 on the right edge of BF, facing in, regardless of DI.
Sonic on the left edge of SV, facing in, if the Sonic being thrown is holding left. .. guess how I found out about that one >_>

anyone else..? lol.

InterimOfZeal

Smash Champion
Well this doesn't seem to be mentioned, it's nothing major but Sonic can do this thing called "Combat Walking" which he basically can do a whole bunch of jabs to move himself forward I doubt it can be used for anything but it's good to know and only Sonic, Squirtle, Zero Suit, and Ike can do it I believe. Who knows, maybe somehow this could prove to be useful?
It's not called combat walking, goddammit. It's berserker barrage, hot ****. We've known about it since a week after JP release, and it's no good for him, due to how weak and low-priority/escapable his jabs are.

^i do it lol
--------

Sonic on the left edge of SV, facing in, if the Sonic being thrown is holding left. .. guess how I found out about that one >_>

anyone else..? lol.
What're you talking about?

TwinkleToes

Smash Lord
^i do it lol
--------

anyone else..? lol.
God **** it that's called a secret for a reason!

What're you talking about?
NOTHING! HE IS TALKING ABOUT ABSOLUTELY NOTHING AT ALL! MOVE ALONG!

Timotee

Smash Journeyman
People didn't find out about berserker barrage until recently? Wow, that's sad. And they gave it a lame name.

Hi Gumby! ^_^_^_^_^_^

Top Bottom