• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Sonic Boards Community Guide (Reformat) - General/Moveset

Mr. Johan

Smash Hero
NNID
Sonicboom93
1) Uair is Sonic's fastest aerial, tied with Nair/Fair. Uair has some landing lag, but not much: little more than Nair, but noticeably less than Fair.

2) Uair has great horizontal range in the first hit, and amazing vertical range with the second hit. Sonic's legs do not count as a hurtbox during the second hit.

3) Uair has a low damage output and very low knockback.

4) The second hit of Uair will beat out damn near every Dair in the game, but the spacing is very strict, which only gets harder when you factor how long the second hit stays out and how long it takes to get to that second hit. Nonetheless, it's high vertical disjoint, minimal ending lag, and Sonic's speed provide Sonic an easy method of juggling opponents with little risk to himself.

5) The first hit of Uair has set knockback, which can lead to Utilt and grab combos if Uair is fastfalled so that only the first hit comes out. This trick can be used at any time, but it also leads to one of the only kill setups Sonic has (Uair -> Utilt), at high percentage, and so can be used as a surprise maneuver if the opponent is being careful with his/her spacing and is avoiding Fsmash, Bair, and being grabbed into a Uthrow. However, these combos only work if Sonic is falling on top of the opponent; otherwise, the first hit will send the opponent flying in the opposite direction.

6) On the ground, Uair's KO potential is pathetic, killing around the 250% area, later than even ftilt. However, with clever manipulation of his Spring, Sonic can hit opponents high in the sky and kill with Uair, starting around the early 100s.
I elaborated a tiny bit more on the Uair combos and Uair's juggling properties, but with that, I think that covers everything.

When I get back to the campus in a month, I'll see if I can get started on getting percentages where Uair -> Utilt is a killing combo on FD, Battlefield, Halberd, and Green Greens.

Tesh

Smash Hero
Sonic has some of the worst aerials in the game. God he would be high tier with Ganon's aerials.

Chis

Finally a legend
NNID
ArcadianPirate
So who’s going to do the write up?

We’re about to move on anyways.

Also thanks for that Kinzer. I'll get on to that eventually.

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
Fair is actually frame 5 Goggles.

As for the write-up, if nobody else gets to it sometime, I can do it. Of course, I'm still working on fixing the other stuff in the guide too but both can come in due time.

-Kinzer, just in case that wasn't obvious (for any reason).

:093:

Tesh

Smash Hero
Kinzer can you go find out exactly how much hitstun Uair1 has and what our best characters are if characters can't jump out? Like hitstun+landing lag.

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
...?

*Ponder.*

Hitstun can't be a variable amongst characters. It's a constant AFAIK.

Besides that, what landing lag? Even Fox and Sheik should be able to jump out of this; and they're the fastest of the fast-fallers.

I can still get you the numbers, sure, but doesn't expect me get anything more. If anything, I'd only discourage it because there's no way to factor the element of surprise, directional influence, and human variables of that nature. You won't hear me saying "Uair 1 > UTilt is a true combo guys dgvnsuigsdihgbshgbs!"

Right now though, I'm going to sleep. I'll get the numbers later today when I'm awake/after I eat/take care of some other business.. That all-nighter with watching (almost) 25 more episodes of YYH was awesome. I love being on Winter break.

Edit: Being tired doesn't do well for my reading comprehension. Whatever, I'll get what you're looking for sure I'm sure. Don't expect anything great though, warning you now.

Tesh

Smash Hero
I'm not expecting anything great, I'm expecting it to be bad actually.

Tesh

Smash Hero
Backthrow is meh, it does the same damage as a pretty stales upthrow and sends them at the same angle as a properly DIed Upthrow.

Back throw can get kinda sexy sometimes though.

[collapse=Warning Sexual Content]
[/collapse]

Mr. Johan

Smash Hero
NNID
Sonicboom93
Does 8% fresh.

Forces Olimar/any character offstage.

Wastes time on the clock as it's the longest (?) lasting of Sonic's four throws.

If it's not DIed (why), it's a killer on the edge at high percentage.

If it's DIed, it puts the opponent a respectable distance in the air to attempt Bair/Spindash mindgames afterward.

No doubt the coolest looking throw in the game

Not much else can be said about it, lol

Life

Smash Hero
Decent for putting opponents offstage, leading to edgeguard/gimp opportunities.

DACUS may work well with it sometimes.

BSP

Smash Legend
Only reason I would use B throw is to get them off a ledge, or what KID mentioned.

If you're at the ledge, and they're at high damage, a fresh Bthrow may kill earlier than the Uthrow at 200%

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
Surprised nobody has yet to mention this yet. Back Throw puts the opponent's back towards you. This suggests that unless your opponent uses B-reversals or some other type o turn-around mechanism, characters that have bad defense behind them get put into a sort of bad place. This makes for a nice pseudo-setup; as many others before me have mentioned.

Other than for positioning, Back Throw really isn't all that impressive. "Positioning" can take any meaning you can think of, be it to move out of the way of an attack, to throw the opponent into a stage hazard; Back Throw does an okay job at all of it.

And if nobody's going to post within the next couple of minutes/hours (which I doubt since it's the dead of night) I'll edit this post with that Uair junk. BRB.

Edit: Seems to be character-dependent. I tried it on Mario, and Sonic got a +5 frame advantage if he did it as soon as he'd get the Uair landing lag (any later and it becomes less of an advantage). Tried it on Jiggles, and got a +9 (or was it 10?) frame advantage. I tried everything to see if the number would be any different, airdodging, jumping, attacking, all the works. That seems to be constant.

Anything else you'd like to know?

Double edit: Frame data for B-Air:

Frame 1-12 are start-up.
Frames 13 and 14 are the strong hit.
Frames 15-18 are the weak-hit.
Ends on frame 37 if it's not auto-canceled or whatever is the fancy term for not getting the hard-landing lag.
Ends on frame 27 if you get the hard landing (and if you have it stay out for all 6 frames the hitbox is active, otherwise do some subtraction.)

There ya go. Stick that in the guide whenever you can Chis. Feel free to format however you like/whatever was consistent (with the data I gave you earlier?). Blah blah blah, Bair was missing data anyway.

Triple Edit: These just don't stop coming do they? Does anybody have like a sheet with the spotdodge frame data for characters? Lucario (and any other character that has invincibility on frames 2-20 (and a certain amount of ending lag I didn't check) of their spotdodge for that matter) can get UTilted by Sonic if he spotdodges Sonic's Jab 1 on the soonest frame he gets invincibility. Any later and he can shield it. :(

Still something I want y'all to think about though. If you have any spotdodge-happy opponents, UTilt can rank up some nice damage or kill if they're at the appropriate percent. Again, just some food for though, don't really need to make much if anything out of this.

Mr. Johan

Smash Hero
NNID
Sonicboom93
Surprised nobody has yet to mention this yet. Back Throw puts the opponent's back towards you. This suggests that unless your opponent uses B-reversals or some other type o turn-around mechanism, characters that have bad defense behind them get put into a sort of bad place. This makes for a nice pseudo-setup; as many others before me have mentioned.
The problem is that almost everyone has a good defense from behind. The only characters I can see getting manipulated like this due to a lack of a useful Bair are Lucas and Bowser, Zelda and maaaaaaybe Fox, and the former two both have a good Side B to use instead anyway, and Fox has a Dair to scare you with and a Side B to get the hell out.

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
... A Dair? Fox? What's he gonna do, drill empty space? You have to be seriously mispacing some crap to get hit by Dair when he's offstage, which is where he'll be (or at least, should be) after Back-Throw. Even onstage, Fox falls too fast for any horizontal mishaps. I'd sooner believe a Fox to be Shine-stalling (and using that to reverse his direction, but it will commit him for a bit, which I may or may not cover later) than I would even think about his Dair. @#$%s overrated anyway, Shield/DI it and blah.

Also, think about it. Pikachu-coptor? Snake-on-a-stick? There are plenty of characters who would rather not have their backs facing you. Of course characters like D3, (maybe) Lucario, and blah blah blah it might not do any good, or may do more harm, but I believe it's ultimately up to the player to know when to take advantage of the aforementioned fact; which should at the very least be briefly mentioned somewhere in the complete write-up.

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
Alright~! Double post for EPIC~!!

Nair:

Frames 1-5 are start-up.
Frames 6-9 are the strong hitbox.
Frames 10-19 are the medium hitbox.
Frames 20-38 are the light hitbox.
Frames 39-49 are cooldown lag assuming you don't land on the ground before then.
Nair has 12 frames of landing lag assuming you do land on the ground before it can finish its animation.

That means that if you let Nair attack with all of hits hitboxes, the attack is 50 frames in total, yes. If you're going for the 1-frame strong hit-box followed by landing-lag, then it's 18 frames in total. That is assuming you do not hit a hurtbox/shield/object/whatever to elongate the attack.

(I kind of gave up on finding when the medium to weak hitbox turned on. Sonic wouldn't stop moving, no two characters can occupy the same space when they're both on the ground or when they're both in the air to further complicated things, and (I think but I'm not sure) Sonic's Nair may or may not be able to hit in three dimensions, but please don't quote me on that last part.

You'll have to thank K-Prime since he's the one that gave me the data I had missing/didn't have the patience to find out on my own. PSA is weird, but I trust him and his data.)

If anybody can either further confirm to me those numbers are consistent with either in-game tools or with PSA, or help me find a way to test it reliably in-game (or PSA but I prefer the former method) so I can reach those numbers myself, I will be in your debt forever.

I've already given data for Bair.

Uair:

Frames 1-4 are start-up.
Frames 5-7 are the first hit.
The time between first hit and second is frames 8-13.
Frames 14-18 are the second hit.
Frames 19-39 are cooldown lag assuming don't land on the ground before the animation is finished.
Uair has 21 Frames of landing lag Assuming you do land on the ground before it can finish its animation.

So that's 26 frames total if you get the 1-frame from the first hit and get the landing lag.
Uair is 66 frames total if you land before the 2nd hit last hitbox frame comes out.

Here's some interesting things for everybody about Uair. The cooldown lag is the same as the landing lag (assuming you land before the last second hit hitbox frame comes out). Even more interesting is that after the 2nd hit last hitbox frame goes away, you can autocancel the move and land like you were in a neutral aerial position; it's as if Sonic wasn't already in the cooldown lag of Uair. This is obviously much faster than having to endure all 21 frames of cooldown lag and/or landing lag. This means that Sonic's Uair if timed right (and you don't hit anything on the way down) is only 20 frames (it takes 2 frames to land normally, and 4 frames if you fastfall)! Pretty fast/cool, right?

Chis, I'll let you format it however you want, but I basically wanted to get all of that out of the way for Uair.

Fair:

Frames 1-4 are start-up.
First hit hitbox is frame 5.
Frame 6 is a deadzone.
Second hit hitbox is frame 7.
Frame 8 is a deadzone.
Third hit hitbox is frame 9.
Frame 10 is a deadzone.
Fourth hit hitbox is frame 11.
Frame 12 is a deadzone.
Fifth hit hitbox is frame 13.
Frame 14 is a deadzone.
Sixth and final hit hitbox is frame 15.
Frames 16-35 are all cooldown lag assuming you do not land before the animation is finished.
Sonic suffers 30 frames of landing lag.

Without all the deadzones, that means there are hitboxes from frame 5-15, meaning there's 10 frames with 5 attacks, for 2 frames per attack... somewhat obvious.

62 frames total if you get off all the hitboxes, short-hop it, and land before frame 34. Not much leeway to auto-cancel this move honestly. :/ That's two frames that you can auto-cancel this move before it finishes its animation. You have to start the attack before frame 14 from a short-hop (that includes the time it takes Sonic to jump off the ground, which is 6 frames. That's 8 frames you have to use this move after you SH-jump if you want to AC it (once again, this all assumes you're not hitting anything to elongate that attack~!)). Don't bother asking me what else, do some basic math yourself dammit. :X

Dair:

Frames 1-15 are all start-up.
Frames 16-22 are the first hit.
Frames 23-37 are the second hit.
Frames 38-43 you are stuck in the animation.
On frame 39, you can auto-cancel Dair. More likely than not you'll (apparently) get the fast-fall landing lag, since this game just loves to register Down + A(ttack) as a fastfall even though you meant to do Dair. Same goes for the C-Stick, it wouldn't have made any difference I could've tested it in debug mode with the frame advance.
30 frames of landing lag assuming you do land before you can auto-cancel the attack.

Remember Tenki's wise words of wisdom, that you can apparently press down on the D-Pad again and you'll start to slowfall again. That must suggest Sonic's falling animation after a Spring Jump is unique/ it's own article and pressing down will make you fall slower (for sure). Whether or not it's a slowfall or a fastfall is beyond me, it's just slow enough to give the illusion of a slowfall but in truth may be a fastfall but still compared to that "unique fall" is much slower. You would see the difference if you did it in-game yourself. If anybody would like to tell me which of my theories is right (if it's its own unique article or just a fastfall), that'd be nice. I think it's important to know because any other character with a Stall than (fast)fall aerial can take advantage of the same thing. There may also be other things for other characters to abuse... or it could the fact that Sonic's crap is unique and we have something (else) over every other character lololololol.

Dair also has two hitboxes. I will only say that the first hit does 8% fresh, while the second hit does 7% if neither are decayed. I will not go into how they have a different launch angle. It is somewhat obvious when you play in real matches, but I could not replicate the launch angles. Maybe it's the way I hit my opponent, like where, what part, yada yada yada. Many factors could go into it, but now we have numbers. Hurrah?

Double hurrah for getting all of Sonic's aerials complete. Next thing on the agenda is to get smash attacks, Specials, and some grab data.

I should probably mention this for myself for future reference.

Sonic is at the apex of his Spring Jump at around frames 40-60. Somewhere in that time period Sonic will not rise any further, and may start descending. I'll go over that when I cover Spring Jump.

Edit: WHAT?! I take a look at the guide, and I notice that Uair is missing completely!

No good! No good!

I was going to wait until somebody had something to say. Either about my data or anything else that concerned this guide (or not), but I suppose I should take this time to talk about the aerials too, maybe/yes/no/STFU Kinzer?

I'm sorry, I did say I'd get this all out a day after the last big contribution, but I'm lazy. I'm sorry~! I'm here now though, let me see what I can do. I still have to read individual posts, but for now I just want to see what needs to be added/removed/fixed in the guide.

[Nair]

"Unfortunately from a stale moves point of view, almost all of Sonic's other options are better thus the move is rarely used. "

What? Can this be reworded better or removed altogether? Nair is a very viable move at high %s. If it hits, the opponent cannot punish you, it's usually fresh so it'll usually deal full damage, and at later %s it will kill. Not that difficult considering a lot of people can fall for the SDJ > Nair combo. I'm going to assume the part about how it punishes spotdodges and has very little landing lag was already covered. If not, that should be mentioned too, especially that I have some numbers!

If I'm missing something like the Shieldstun for Nair, forgive me. I'll go over that when I do a complete overhaul of my shieldstun directory. It's off by at least 6 frames for every attack because of the way I calculated it, and I know I'm missing Nair; but I want to make sure I have everything 100% accurate (for real) the next time around.

Nair actually hits on the 6th frame. Get that fixed please.

[Bair]

Only "decent damage?" The stupid thing does 13% damage fresh with the strong hit, and Sonic's uncharged FSmash does 14%! You can't tell me with a straight face that ish ain't broken lol.

/somewhat kidding.

[Fair]

It should be mentioned that Fair does less damage if the opponent is behind Sonic when he does Fair. It can do anywhere between 9% and 14% fresh, and this is assuming you hit with all of the attacks... It is not that reliable for damage-racking, at least it does an okay job at that, and probably placement.

There may or may not be some potential for heaving-landing/AC'd fair on some characters, but I'd need to get the numbers for those to see if there is anything like that. Until then, eh... Works damn great on tall characters though, that's for sure.

"if the opportunity arises this attack should be used when a punish is guaranteed from reading a dodge or a shield is low," wat? I don't even know what's trying to be said here.

[Dair]

Opps, I forgot to get the landing lag from Dair, and I also forgot to mention that it takes Sonic 1 frame to stall in the air assuming he was already working his way down. Just 1 itty-bitty-wittle fwame though.

/cute.

30 frames of landing lag. About the same as Fair. Get that, huh?

I also added that up-on-top, just in case you really do like to copypasta and for the sake of wholeness.

Spring and Dair just seem to tie up with one another huh? I'm not sure if I should mention some stuff now or wait until we get more into that later, as we cover Spring Jump, or save it for another sub-section of the guide. Either way, I'll have ya boys covered. Count me on that.

I want dat visual! Unless I need to submit a picture or something, in which case lemme know, lol.

[Uair]

Since it's missing from the guide all-together, here my synopsis, following the guides format:

"Uair
*Insert nice picture here.*
Damage: 3% first hit, 6% second hit, 9% total. (Fresh)
Range: Good
Frame Data: Look up damn you.

Description: Up air is probably the most versatile of Sonic's aerials. It's tied with Fair for the fastest aerial Sonic has, the range both horizontally and vertically is deceptive as if switching the roles of Bair, and the attack itself sets up for a myriad of possibilities.

When Sonic's jab is too short-ranged; When Sonic's grab is not a brilliant idea, and when Sonic's down and forward tilt are too slow to punish or counterattack out of shield, up air is the next best bet.

The first hit covers as much, if not slightly more range than Sonic's jab horizontally, and the second hit is disjointed enough to beat just about most other characters attacks above Sonic with precise timing. Uair can be used to pressure an opponent on a platform; and is quick and mobile enough to avoid most counter attacks. With Sonic's speed and mobility, it makes for a great attack to use in the hopes of chasing or trapping an opponent.

A good mix-up option for every now and then is to hit an opponent with the first hit of up air, but land just before the second hit comes out. Depending on how the opponent reacts, it could set up for some follow-up attacks. Do note however that none are guaranteed."

B.A.M.

Smash Lord
NNID
Bambatta
dude first off im pretty sure first hit uair true combos into utilt and grab. Maybe even FH uair (i think its actually a similar case with how with Marths SH dair comes out slower that his FH Dair). Uair is amazing. covers our backs if we get crossed up, awesome OoS option, sets up for other aerials, is a cross over in itself with sh ff uair for majority of characters ( although characters MK size require a precise timing to hit them with sh uair). Second hit of uair outspaces the majority of Dairs in the game. Learn to space that thing. You learn to space it, it actually leads to a TON of frame traps.

Learn to sh fair>first hit uair, it punishes those who wait for the landing to punish fair. It also helps if they fall out of your fair or u are crossing them up. Also uair has good priority, when used properly people should fear this move.

EDIT: actually Kinzer has a point about the properties of bthrow. Because the majority of the cast has bairs that are quick but have punishable lag afterwards, most people will be inclined to AD instead. It is this reason along with setting up a spinshot uair combo starter, that I use bthrow. Dacus works well as bthrow put them in a spacing where u can go right under any aerial and then use the initial invincibility frames of usmash to hit ur opponent. Things like SDSC> sh ff bair OoS gets ur opponent to AD then a low- mid percentage bair which often with a chase nets u a shield grab or some type of juggle. Its no uthrow, but there is some unorthodox options that bthrow brings; which to me is always great for a character like Sonic. It allows you to still get some nice follows if they are reading ur uthrow shenanigans ( and inferring that they tech dthrow). Funny thing, alot of MK's get worried about using bair, so when they notice they are in that position they just nado. Now provided u get there fast enough can get a fair. If u mess up and they AD then go for the uair or first hit uair depending on the situation.

Chis

Finally a legend
NNID
ArcadianPirate
Big thanks to Kinzer for his recommendations and what not. However I haven't finished editing the OP, exams and stuff.

Back throw write ups?

Now let's talk about Up throw. What a sexy move.

Tesh

Smash Hero
Sonic's most damaging and best killing throw/setup. Puts people right where he wants them for some land sharking.

Speed, I'm not sure if that is supposed to be in the moveset analysis. I think we are just outlining what each moves does and the basics. Then we can do the combos, chasing etc sections.

~TBS~

Smash Champion
Rolling around at the speed of Sound, Maryland.
Sonic's most damaging and best killing throw/setup. Puts people right where he wants them for some land sharking.

Speedius, I'm not sure if that is supposed to be in the moveset analysis. I think we are just outlining what each moves does and the basics. Then we can do the combos, chasing etc sections.
Super Duper wakeup johns+wanting to post more= this. Also fixed.
12% dmg and you get the opponent in a position where you have options.

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
Not to mention that you can U-Throw three (or was it four...?) times consecutively before Forward throw will surpass U-Throw in raw damage output.

What can't be said about this attack honestly. It's fast (F-Throw is faster), very good positioning even if DI'd, and it's one of Sonic's most damaging attacks.

The wonderful thing about U-Throw is that when the opponent starts to properly DI it that you can switch in F-Throw and make them improperly DI F-Throw. To properly DI F-Throw would be to improperly DI U-Throw. Both are fast enough to throw off most opponents and if the opponent guesses wrong that leaves you with some opportunities.

For doubles, whenever you accidentally grab your partner it's usually best to F-Throw. At the very least, it will put a hitbox in front of you and save yourself, and your partner will only take 9% + whatever attack might've hit them, blah blah blah. U-Throw you could use if an opponent happens to be laying right on top of you and Sonic's quills will elongate to hit them. Otherwise B-Throw is slow and does a poor job at avoiding an attack, and D-Throw is just asking for punishment.

ATM, there is no (frame) data concerning guaranteed follow-ups from U-Throw at low or 0%. A lot of people tend to go for some stuff too; a couple of them being very hard reads, what with U-Throw chains to Back Airs to UTilts to Uairs. Some may work, some may not. Some might work on one character, and might not on another If anybody would like for me to gather an entire repository on the entire cast from 0% let me know and you just promise me somebody will have a write-up on Back Throw since ATM I'm too lazy to do it myself. Given a couple of days I might do it myself (the B-Throw write-up).

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
testing all that would take forever.

But will all my game time with the character, I have most of that info memorised for each character.

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
testing all that would take forever.

But will all my game time with the character, I have most of that info memorised for each character.
It wouldn't take long. I'm thinking 1-3 hours.

The way to find it out is universal, just have each character Double-jump, airdodge, attack, special attack, whatever, and see how soon they can react compared to how soon Sonic can put up his shield, and viola.

None of that shieldstun BS where you have to add 7 to consider shielddrop frames, and that's not using some other intricate way to find Shieldstun frame data; of which many people have given me many suggestions to.

So you know what you get is what you get.

Tesh

Smash Hero
Something weird happened with fthrow when I was playing ALSM. I grabbed him and did an fthrow while his gale boomerang was returning. It pulled us offstage but the throw animation didn't cancel when Sonic moved off the ledge. I don't think I saved that match though.

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
That sounds easy enough to replicate.

Does it work anything like Gay's Olimar or not the same thing?

Tesh

Smash Hero
It was kinda like that yea. Sonic just continued to kick Link in the nuts as they both flew off the edge. It might be possible that it works because Sonic jumps when he kicks his opponent during fair. The same as how Kirby and Metaknight's throws can land offstage because both characters leave the ground during the throw.

It could be kind of useless regardless due to the trajectory of fthrow(no good for gimping)

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
keep in mind finding out how much frame advantage sonic has on up throw doesnt tell us what follow ups are guaranteed or not.

lets say for example that it gives 10 frames advantage on mk. and hypothetically it takes sonic 4 frames to leave the ground and up air starts on frame 5. that doesnt guarantee that up air will hit. it guarantees that up air will come out before mk can move, but there is the added time as well that it actually takes sonic to physically jump up to the opponent.

just something to keep in mind.

Phoenix_Dark

Smash Lord
NNID
Phoenix2337
3DS FC
1289-8343-1385
U-throw is awesome because certain characters can grab the person getting thrown before they leave Sonic's back, but after taking the 12% <3

-LzR-

Smash Hero
To me uthrow is Sonic's most important move. I almost always use uthrow when I get the grab. And Sonic ***** when the opponent is high up in the air. Can't say much as I am like new to Sonic sorry.

B.A.M.

Smash Lord
NNID
Bambatta
true that KID. Id say the best thing to test if anything would be a uthrow> FH uair/fair. According to the Marth boards, the reason FH dair works on grab release and not SH Dair is because of the timing; Marths FH with conjunction of when the hitbox gets to the opponent is just enough. You cant just test uthrow like that. Doesnt matter if our uair comes out if theres noone there; infact that happens quite a bit with some DI able combos with uair. Sometimes you cant even buffer it, you have to actually wait till you are near otherwise the first hit uair will wiff and u are flying up to ur opponent with no hitbox.

JayBee

Smash Champion
NNID
jamesbrownjrva
Up throw is a strong option for sonic because it immediately allows sonic to go into his strength, his followup game in the early stock. Upthrows can be followed up with upair, one of are best disjointed aerials, forcing the opponent to either airdodge, which we can bait, jump, which the upair can catch anywways, or attack on the way down, which can be shield grabbed, or beaten out with upair's priority. Few characters can consistantly deal with that early game setup. its a nice ice-breaker,

MarKO X

Smash Champion
NNID
legendnumberM
3DS FC
2595-2072-2390
Switch FC
Play as Sonic.
Get the opponent to his last stock, using every throw but upthrow.
Get opponent to like, 170% (if Snake, 270%)
Use uthrow.

Greatest feeling in the world.

I know I don't really play this game competitively anymore (much less with Sonic), but I feel like theory translates well with gameplay here: almost always use upthrow with Sonic. I feel like his other throws are situationally good. Upthrow is a nasty spike of 12% damage that you, as a Sonic, can appreciate.

Edit: throw some pummels in there too.

Chis

Finally a legend
NNID
ArcadianPirate
Can be teched. Good for throwing characters with poor recoveries over the edge of the stage due to the low angle it throws them at. Tech chases.

If those write ups don't appear, I'll just do them myself when the exams are over.

Life

Smash Hero
I think you forgot the "Moving on to d-throw." in that post.

Dthrow was pretty decent before people learned to tech it. Does 8% unstaled, making it the least damaging throw tied with bthrow. Spikes slightly, especially at low percents, but Sonic usually doesn't come out of the animation quickly enough to take much advantage of it.

IIRC we actually have frame advantage on a couple characters even if they tech it. Pretty sure ROB is one.

Top Bottom