• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social The Social Thread 3.2.1

What do you want most in a Switch Successor?

• Total voters

Shroob

Sup?
Yeah, and we'd still only have two turtles if they focused on remaking every single veteran.

Smash fans realize why "everyone is here" is a rarity in fighting games challenge
Smash is still able to strike a happy medium when there are cuts though. Like, I'm not deluded enough to think that the next Smash will top Ultimate roster-size unless Sakurai pulls off some insane magic, but most fighting games tend to go up in roster count over time.

NASB2's roster is....almost the exact same size as 1's, with the caveat of half the original cast being gone.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
I mean I get why characters were cut, but I think what people have an issue with are the characters that got in instead. Like this is Nick ALL STAR Brawl, and a lot of the cut characters are what I define as Nickelodeon All Star line up, especially when some pillars of Nicks early days are straight up vaporized like CatDog
But characters like the other two Turtles and Lincoln??? Not a character like Lucy?

That's what I'm not getting at.

Last edited:

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
I mean I get why characters were cut, but I think what people have an issue with are the characters that got in instead. Like this is Nick ALL STAR Brawl, and a lot of the cut characters are what I define as Nickelodeon All Star line up, especially when some pillars of Nicks early days are straight up vaporized like CatDog
At the same time, you could say that Squidward, Plankton, Jimmy Neutron, and the Beavers also belong in a game with that name, and if we couldn't get them because they were focused on remaking everyone, there would still be complaints about those characters being missing. It's a double edged sword.

Shroob

Sup?
At the same time, you could say that Squidward, Plankton, Jimmy Neutron, and the Beavers also belong in a game with that name, and if we couldn't get them because they were focused on remaking everyone, there would still be complaints about those characters being missing. It's a double edged sword.
Nasb1 has what, 25 characters?

With the cuts, that makes it 14. I don't remember how many newcomers were leaked but you're getting a sequel to a game with barely any increase.

Just like nasb1, gameplay isn't gonna save this game. People like platform fighters due to the selection of scrimblos. I appreciate them making the game less jank, but I fear this game's gonna be DoA.

TheMightyP

Smash Obsessed
Fair but looking at the leaked roster, I see 4 characters that really shouldn't be top priotity over who got cut, and tbh I would have kept Sandy over Squidward and Toph over Azula

Last edited:

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
Nasb1 has what, 25 characters?

With the cuts, that makes it 14. I don't remember how many newcomers were leaked but you're getting a sequel to a game with barely any increase.

Just like nasb1, gameplay isn't gonna save this game. People like platform fighters due to the selection of scrimblos. I appreciate them making the game less jank, but I fear this game's gonna be DoA.
Well it can either be dead because it still didn't add Jimmy, or dead because no playable Hugh. Pick your poison.

Shroob

Sup?
Well it can either be dead because it still didn't add Jimmy, or dead because no playable Hugh. Pick your poison.
Nasb1 didn't die because of no Jimmy. It died because it launched in a horrible state that caused the player count to drop off a cliff. I watched the declining player numbers fall, and it was double digits only a couple of months after release, which, yikes.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
Nasb1 didn't die because of no Jimmy. It died because it launched in a horrible state that caused the player count to drop off a cliff. I watched the declining player numbers fall, and it was double digits only a couple of months after release, which, yikes.
I was kind of joking when I said that anyway. I was really trying to say if they didn't cut anyone, the base game would only have 1 newcomer at best, like I've been trying to say.

NASB1+DLC=25 characters
Leaked NASB2 roster=26 characters

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
I was kind of joking when I said that anyway. I was really trying to say if they didn't cut anyone, the base game would only have 1 newcomer at best, like I've been trying to say.

NASB1+DLC=25 characters
Leaked NASB2 roster=26 characters
Alternatively, they could've not scrapped all their work from NASB1 and keep the gameplay virtually identical thus making it easier to bring back veterans without sacrificing newcomers...but then there would still be complaints about the game looking janky and Aang still not showcasing the other elements.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
Spider-Man 2 and Mario Wonder come out on the same day. When I found that out, I had to cook this up right quick.

Still got a little bit more new art for this week as well. But I'm working on expanding my TeePublic store more in October, so I'm busy working on that!

Batkelley

Smash Cadet
When you think about it, isn't this whole situation with NASB kind of similar to what some people are asking for in terms of a Smash reboot?

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Spider-Man 2 and Mario Wonder come out on the same day. When I found that out, I had to cook this up right quick.

Still got a little bit more new art for this week as well. But I'm working on expanding my TeePublic store more in October, so I'm busy working on that!
Something tells me that's gonna be the new DOOM/Animal Crossing: New Horizons.

Shroob

Sup?
Alternatively, they could've not scrapped all their work from NASB1 and keep the gameplay virtually identical thus making it easier to bring back veterans without sacrificing newcomers...but then there would still be complaints about the game looking janky and Aang still not showcasing the other elements.
I don't mind that they changed the battle system.

The issue is always going to be the cut choices. Again, what they did to tmnt is nonsensical.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
I don't mind that they changed the battle system.

The issue is always going to be the cut choices. Again, what they did to tmnt is nonsensical.
And Lincoln. I don't really care for the show (The Loudcest keeps me away from it) but being Nick's second biggest cash cow after Spongebob and being the protag. It feels like if Link was cut out of Smash. Why keep Lucy but cut Lincoln? It would had made more sense if it was the other way around.

Last edited:

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Ha, ha, ha, ha as if the Japanese government would ever allow that to happen.

Like Godzilla. Nintendo is a crucial cultural part of media for Japan.

Last edited:

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
Ha, ha, ha, ha as if the Japanese government would ever allow that to happen.

Like Godzilla. Nintendo is a crucial cultural media of Japan.
Not to mention, but correct me if I am wrong, I don’t think American work culture and Japanese work culture would go well together if you know what I mean. The philosophies of Nintendo and Microsoft are probably not well compatible, too.

SneakyLink

NNID
bne9635
Switch FC
SW-6259-3694-6593
Boy, by the looks of it, Microsoft must be desperate to buy Nintendo.

Have they brought a Japanese game company before?
Does Tango Gameworks count? It is technically under the Bethesda umbrella…

Also, no way Nintendo will allow themselves to be bought. Remember they laughed hard at Microsoft the first time around.

Shroob

Sup?
Piranha Plant is funny.

The juxtaposition of a random enemy no one gives a second thought to being in the same game as some of the biggest gaming icons is funny.

It's not a joke everyone will find funny, but a little wacky never hurts.

Never go full wacky though. No one is happy with full wacky.

TheMightyP

Smash Obsessed
When you think about it, isn't this whole situation with NASB kind of similar to what some people are asking for in terms of a Smash reboot?
Yes, and it the cuts are gonna suck as well. However, what makes Smash different is that though they did cuts twice, they have a solid basis with the core characters, where you can understand some characters were low priority. Here, the cuts don't make sense given that plenty of them are very popular Nickelodeon stars, as opposed to a B-Tier Fire Emblem character or a C-Tier Nintendo Villian.

Shroob

Sup?
Yes, and it the cuts are gonna suck as well. However, what makes Smash different is that though they did cuts twice, they have a solid basis with the core characters, where you can understand some characters were low priority. Here, the cuts don't make sense given that plenty of them are very popular Nickelodeon stars, as opposed to a B-Tier Fire Emblem character or a C-Tier Nintendo Villian.
Honestly, Smash's cuts have always made sense when you think about it.

Melee to Brawl? All the clones and Mewtwo who was an unfortunate victim of time restraints. We even know that he, Roy, and Dr.Mario were being worked on to come back.

Brawl to Smash 4? Icies due to technical limitations of the 3DS and Snake due to Konami being in a bad spot. Lucas was cut out to put in as DLC, and Wolf was a super last minute addition to Brawl.

These all make sense. Even Mewtwo's Brawl cut makes sense when you realize they were going to put him in.

Nasb2 cuts make zero sense.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
Well yeah but would you rather have only one newcomer? Because that's what you'd get if they remade everyone. Still no Jimmy, still don't have all four Turtles, etc.

Shroob

Sup?
Well yeah but would you rather have only one newcomer? Because that's what you'd get if they remade everyone. Still no Jimmy, still don't have all four Turtles, etc.
Personally speaking, I wouldn't have remade the game from the ground up and redone everything.

Nasb is JANK, but all it needed was some polish to make it feel better.

They threw the baby out with the bathwater, and now no one's happy really.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
Personally speaking, I wouldn't have remade the game from the ground up and redone everything.

Nasb is JANK, but all it needed was some polish to make it feel better.

They threw the baby out with the bathwater, and now no one's happy really.
In hindsight, that probably would be for the better. I was hoping at best they'd reanimate Danny's face, and remake any duplicate ground/air normals. Even with the lack of water/fire/earthbending I thought Aang was fine for example.

TheMightyP

Smash Obsessed
Honestly, Smash's cuts have always made sense when you think about it.

Melee to Brawl? All the clones and Mewtwo who was an unfortunate victim of time restraints. We even know that he, Roy, and Dr.Mario were being worked on to come back.

Brawl to Smash 4? Icies due to technical limitations of the 3DS and Snake due to Konami being in a bad spot. Lucas was cut out to put in as DLC, and Wolf was a super last minute addition to Brawl.

These all make sense. Even Mewtwo's Brawl cut makes sense when you realize they were going to put him in.

Even then the only one that was 100% controversial was Mewtwo simply because, imo, he was the only A-List Nintendo star to get cut throughout the entire series.

Now Nick's issue is that they don't have a solid foundation for a roster. Street Fighter (minus the 3 series) uses SF2's roster for a base, Smash keeps 64's (and at this point, Melee's) roster as a solid starting point. Here, there is none, it's just all over the place on who gets in and who doesn't.

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
They could have still made some cuts without deleting Catdog, turtles, or heck even Lincoln.. That would still probably mean less newcomers but it's not all or nothing.

I also imagine the new Story Mode might also have effected the roster size.

I still think NASB2 looks like a huge upgrade from the original but if the player base isn't there then I still might not pick it up. But I'm also biased because my most played characters - Reptar and Korra - are both returning.

TheMightyP

Smash Obsessed
That said, NASB2 seems tio ave the same issue with the first for me, and that's... I don't think any of the characters appeal to me. As for why, from what I seen, they all once again fall under the same archetype as rushdown combo machines aside from Plankton who we all know will be bottom tier. Like I get they want to appeal to Melee fans like HARD, but even then Melee had some diversity in it's playstyle (even if it didn't pan out for some characters).

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
That said, NASB2 seems tio ave the same issue with the first for me, and that's... I don't think any of the characters appeal to me. As for why, from what I seen, they all once again fall under the same archetype as rushdown combo machines aside from Plankton who we all know will be bottom tier. Like I get they want to appeal to Melee fans like HARD, but even then Melee had some diversity in it's playstyle (even if it didn't pan out for some characters).
The NASB fanbase thinks they've been trying better to diversify the playstyles, actually. Like Raph is truly the only one who feels like a NASB1 character.

Top Bottom