• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social The Social Thread 3.2.1

Favorite announcement of this Direct?

• Total voters

Shroob

Sup?
I get that people are disappointed that some characters aren't coming back, but the gameplay looks so good compared to the first, I find it odd that people aren't focusing on the positives more.
I want NASB to do well as a series, trust me, but it's very, very hard to have confidence in the series.

I watched the first game's player count dip to double digits mere months after it launched despite wanting it soo badly to do well, and I'm honestly not convinced that history won't repeat itself, sadly.

Shroob

Sup?
So doing some testing with the Tera Charm you get for completing the Kitakami dex, it seems like you get an extra 12 Tera shards a 6* Raid.

It's something. Dunno if it's a good kind of something, but it's something.

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804
I get that people are disappointed that some characters aren't coming back, but the gameplay looks so good compared to the first, I find it odd that people aren't focusing on the positives more.
It's a crossover fighting game so most people are gonna focus on the roster first.
Like barely anyone plays Marvel Infinite despite it's great gameplay because the roster is missing the X-Men and some fan favourite Capcom characters on top of just generally looking ass.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
I want NASB to do well as a series, trust me, but it's very, very hard to have confidence in the series.

I watched the first game's player count dip to double digits mere months after it launched despite wanting it soo badly to do well, and I'm honestly not convinced that history won't repeat itself, sadly.
It's a fair point, I'm not sure what made it dip the most. Personally I thought the gameplay turned out too 1-dimensional and the rock-paper-scissors mechanic was odd and the animations felt janky. The new game seems a lot better on those fronts so personally I'm satisfied with where it seems to be going but I dont know why others dropped the game last time.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
October: Justice League vs. Godzilla vs. Kong, Mortal Kombat Legends: Cage Match
November: Invincible Season 2 (First Half), Monarch: Legacy of Monsters
December: Godzilla Minus One, Hilda Season 3

These last few months are gonna be great! September already kicked it off with Gamera: Rebirth and Mortal Kombat 1.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
It's a crossover fighting game so most people are gonna focus on the roster first.
Like barely anyone plays Marvel Infinite despite it's great gameplay because the roster is missing the X-Men and some fan favourite Capcom characters on top of just generally looking ass.
The roster got some good additions too, so I think even if some people don't like the changes some others will like them. It depends who people are fans of. Lots might like plankton and squidward. I'll be missing sandy and some of the others but the gameplay looks good anyway like i mentioned, which is what's more likely to keep me around. i do need a couple characters I like though but thankfully there are.

Last edited:

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719

You at least can't say this isn't a game without items/voices/SP content/Jimmy Neutron, but before we were sure cuts were happening let alone 11, it still wasn't getting the same level of hype NASB1 got pre-release. Only the new SB characters, Ember, and somehow Gertie were able to get that same level of attention, and for the SB characters it was only their showcases that got millions of views, not their trailers.

Shroob

Sup?
It's a fair point, I'm not sure what made it dip the most. Personally I thought the gameplay turned out too 1-dimensional and the rock-paper-scissors mechanic was odd and the animations felt janky. The new game seems a lot better on those fronts so personally I'm satisfied with where it seems to be going but I dont know why others dropped the game last time.
The first game really didn't launch in a good state. Between the animations and just general feel being jank, it just lacked really any appeal to casuals.

No items, no voice acting, no recognizable music, nothing really to do aside from Arcade mode. Yeah, this all got fixed later, but a game's main amount of sales and player retention happens within the first month or so. If you lose that person, they're more likely than not going to return.

Like, it's a scrimblo game at its heart, but in execution, it wants to be a fast, Melee-esque game. The two kinda don't mix. You either want the game to have a widespread appeal that gets kids and fans of the IP in, or you get people who want to experience a super fast paced platform fighter. You can serve both for sure, Ultimate does a decent-ish job at it, but NASB1 kinda missed the landing.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
The first game really didn't launch in a good state. Between the animations and just general feel being jank, it just lacked really any appeal to casuals.

No items, no voice acting, no recognizable music, nothing really to do aside from Arcade mode. Yeah, this all got fixed later, but a game's main amount of sales and player retention happens within the first month or so. If you lose that person, they're more likely than not going to return.

Like, it's a scrimblo game at its heart, but in execution, it wants to be a fast, Melee-esque game. The two kinda don't mix. You either want the game to have a widespread appeal that gets kids and fans of the IP in, or you get people who want to experience a super fast paced platform fighter. You can serve both for sure, Ultimate does a decent-ish job at it, but NASB1 kinda missed the landing.
Those thoughts make sense to me.
I hope 2 appeals more. Could be cool to have more thought out modes so that casuals can enjoy it more too. I know I lean more towards fast paced competitive, but it does have to be fun too all around.

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
Moving forward, any new game that is a platform fighter should stop being called a “Smash Bros killer”…cause the game dies everytime that happens. Comparing it to Smash is fine, but don’t say it’s gonna kill the platform fighting king. Just focus on having a balanced gameplay that satisfies casual players and competitive psycho, while also building up a lineup consisting of iconic characters.

For the most part NASB is in a bit of a lucky spot to where it isn’t dead due to a curse, but it’s up to them to not **** up with NASB2 despite these character cut issues (perhaps some of them will return via dlc, be it a purposely done cut for DLC like what MK does, or it’s a Piranha Plant situation and they couldn’t be finished in time). It being more like Melee can be a bit of an issue for the long term since the little jimmys and jessies can’t git gud like the more experienced players. So at worst they should change the game’s speed to be more like Sm4sh or Ultimate…but you can make April beyond broken if you want tho

And while others like Brawlhalla has done perfectly fine (cause where else will I get Undertaker fighting Lara Croft and Rayman)…there’s Multiversus…and there’s a good bit that can be said about how that can turn things around after killing its hype quickly

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
The first NASB seemed too focused on competitive players from what I read so the lack of anything besides cool fighters made me lose interest. This one is apparently better gameplay-wise and stuff plus has voices etc. on launch, but the weird cuts just kill my interest again.

I don't care about the Loud House, but cutting Lincoln and keeping his sisters is like if Smash Bros. cut Link and just kept Zelda and Ganondorf. The other cuts are all strange too, and cutting Hugh feels especially bad, even moreso if they decide to bring him back as paid DLC.

Supposedly they're not adding Arnold because he's a pacifist, though that may just be a fan argument. Personally I think that's a bad reason; I didn't watch much of the show and don't really remember what I did watch, but apparently his grandma at least taught him karate. Plus they can just treat it like a fun sparring match, I doubt SpongeBob would be willing to beat up most of these characters if it wasn't just a fun sport or like his fights with Sandy. Most of these characters in general likely wouldn't be willing to beat each other up, besides the villains of course.

SpongeBob is literally Nickelodeon's Mario, there was no good reason to cut Sandy. I get wanting newcomers, but if it's at the point where you have to cut what many would consider mainstays, it'd probably be better to just focus on the veterans. Squidward and these other newcomers are cool additions, but still, it'd be better if it wasn't at the detriment of the veteran cast, with baffling cuts and weird tradeoffs that make no sense.

Honestly, Nick should just provide a bigger budget and more time if they want a good Smash clone. It sounds as if they didn't think it through very well, or don't care as much as you'd think they would.

Last edited:

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
Nick should just provide a bigger budget
It's not Nick funding these games, they can't do that.

And yes, Nick doesn't know what they're doing. Kids' TV networks still don't get that the E10+ rating covers their target audience, for one thing.

Shroob

Sup?
I will say we do need another Punch Time Explosion. I said it so many times but I was a Cartoon Network kid growing up from Boomerang to modern CN and idk I'd like another crack at it seeing that Platform Fighters are all the rage nowadays.

I don't trust WB Games though
You're not ready for the Pibby fanbase.

Gonna make the Geno fans look like saints.

HyperSomari64

Smash Master
If there was as new PlayStation All Stars Battle Royale, would PS Studios be encouraged to include characters from Sony Pictures?
Can't wait for Kratos vs Slimer in the Miyagi-Do Karate stage. :joyful:

Last edited:

Teeb147

Smash Legend
I just think it's an overreaction to downplay an entire game for cuts when the game itself looks much higher quality on top of possibly being fun and all.

At most I would say if someone really got their interest in the game affected by the cuts you can wait to see what happens past launch, but the other characters and new ones are there, and the gameplay is better, I still don't see cuts as warranting that much. But I could understand it on a personal level if a fave character got cut.

cashregister9

Smash Hero
Cuts are a standard part of fighting games, It is totally valid to not want to pick up a game because of the roster, but not every fighting game can be Smash Ultimate (Talking purely in terms of size here) Especially when it is a game like NASB 2 where they have stated several times that they are completing redoing every character.

Last edited:

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
not me going through Kanji’s voice going from Troy Baker to Matt Mercer in the same game and same storyline

I’m loving P4AU more and more thanks to Kanji

Shroob

Sup?
I now own every article of clothing in Scarlet barring those Pokeball backpacks given out via competitive battling.

Was it worth it?

**** no.

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860
Hey, does anyone have a spare Moon Ball they can part with? I want to get Blood Moon in one, but the only one I can get reliably is locked behind the dex completion that I need it for, so I need to get another.

I can trade over any of my extra Apriballs (Love, Heavy, or Fast) in turn, or even give up the Moon Ball at the end of the dex completion if you want it back.

Dukefire

Smash Master
Moving forward, any new game that is a platform fighter should stop being called a “Smash Bros killer”…cause the game dies everytime that happens. Comparing it to Smash is fine, but don’t say it’s gonna kill the platform fighting king. Just focus on having a balanced gameplay that satisfies casual players and competitive psycho, while also building up a lineup consisting of iconic characters.

For the most part NASB is in a bit of a lucky spot to where it isn’t dead due to a curse, but it’s up to them to not **** up with NASB2 despite these character cut issues (perhaps some of them will return via dlc, be it a purposely done cut for DLC like what MK does, or it’s a Piranha Plant situation and they couldn’t be finished in time). It being more like Melee can be a bit of an issue for the long term since the little jimmys and jessies can’t git gud like the more experienced players. So at worst they should change the game’s speed to be more like Sm4sh or Ultimate…but you can make April beyond broken if you want tho

And while others like Brawlhalla has done perfectly fine (cause where else will I get Undertaker fighting Lara Croft and Rayman)…there’s Multiversus…and there’s a good bit that can be said about how that can turn things around after killing its hype quickly
Yeah, any game that "TRIES" to match or even surpass Smash Bros won't end well.
1000011867.jpg

How can a new title face off against a series that has 20+ years with experience, a decent fanbase, and simplicity refined .(Kirbyism)

Top Bottom