• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social The Social Thread 3.2.1

Favorite announcement of this Direct?

• Total voters

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
Soo many of the cuts are just, what were they thinking?

You add Squidward, which is great, but cut Sandy? Why?

Lincoln gets cut. The main character from Nick's 2nd most popular show?

You cut 2 of the Ninja Turtles... and replace them with 2 of the Ninja Turtles? Literally why?

Toph is a hugely fan favorite Avatar character AFAIK, and you cut them?

You literally nuked Catdog and Ah! Real Monster's representation to nothing.
I had this exact same freakout earlier in the day. Honestly I kind of hope they just delay the game and add them in, or at least promise to add them in in updates.

Also I’m kind of sick of needing to spoiler tag this ****. The leaks have been real, can we please just talk about this **** openly?

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
I worry we might have to wait to get them back in a third game.
There may not be a third game if this one doesn't do particularly well.

The hype for the game is still there, but the amount of cuts and the specific characters among said cuts might affect it's success. Only time will tell.

Shroob

Sup?
I just really wanna know the reason behind the cuts.

I get cuts in most games, budget and lack of popularity for said characters, sure.

They cut EXTREMELY popular characters and it feels like they giga prioritized Newcomers over Veterans, to a fault not gonna lie. I like a lot of the new characters, but not at the cost of what we lost.

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
There may not be a third game if this one doesn't do particularly well.

The hype for the game is still there, but the amount of cuts and the specific characters among said cuts might affect it's success. Only time will tell.
Don’t say things like that man! It’s all too true though.

I’ve got a friend who’s all like “we don’t need infinite characters. Just let people make art!” And I’m like arg! What’s so wrong with being passionate about something you like and wanting it to be done right!

Shroob

Sup?

I’ve got a friend who’s all like “we don’t need infinite characters. Just let people make art!” And I’m like arg! What’s so wrong with being passionate about something you like and wanting it to be done right!
I mean, to a degree they're right. A game doesn't 'need' infinite characters.

But the characters still need to be handled well. And from what I've seen of NASB2, this really ain't it, chief.

I know you're anti-Hugh, but it feels like an extra slap in the face to include Hugh as paid DLC alongside Jenny and Rocko at the butt end of the game's life, a character that yes, the community DID want, and to then just scrap them for the sequel, meaning that basically no one got to even play as Hugh.

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453

I get cuts in most games, budget and lack of popularity for said characters, sure.

They cut EXTREMELY popular characters and it feels like they giga prioritized Newcomers over Veterans, to a fault not gonna lie. I like a lot of the new characters, but not at the cost of what we lost.
What gets me in particular is that Lincoln is the main character of his show and that they essentially traded main characters from Spongebob and TMNT for other main characters from the same franchises.

It genuinely makes very little sense.

Oh, there's nothing wrong with that.

The thing is, this isn't so much a case of people wanting the game to have an absurd number of characters, so much as the characters cut from the previous game being popular characters with little logical reason for even being cut in the first place.

Shroob

Sup?
What gets me in particular is that Lincoln is the main character of his show and that they essentially traded main characters from Spongebob and TMNT for other main characters from the same franchises.

It genuinely makes very little sense.

Oh, there's nothing wrong with that.

The thing is, this isn't so much a case of people wanting the game to have an absurd number of characters, so much as the characters cut from the previous game being popular characters with little logical reason for even being cut in the first place.
Like, NASB not picking the main character of the show isn't anything new. Nigel, Oblina and Helga aren't the main characters of their show.

CUTTING the main character of the show though, and not just any show but Nick's 2nd most popular series would be like Smash cutting Pikachu but keeping Lucario.

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
Like, NASB not picking the main character of the show isn't anything new. Nigel, Oblina and Helga aren't the main characters of their show.

CUTTING the main character of the show though, and not just any show but Nick's 2nd most popular series would be like Smash cutting Pikachu but keeping Lucario.
This exactly.

Are the developers prinarily in charge of the roster or do Nick execs have the final say? Either way, unless they're just prioritizing newcomers this time and planning to re-add most of the cut characters in an update or as DLC, it seems pretty clear that the one thing they haven't quite gotten down about making a crossover fighting game is the roster.

Venus of the Desert Bloom

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
People who think they'll come to Japan and eat Sushi every day are in for a reality check.

Sushi is a privilege here. It's expensive, which really sticks out compared to most other food items here. I have no idea why people say Japan is expensive, you can get a bowl of ramen for less than 1000 yen which is the equivalent to less than 7 dollars to all of you uncultured Americans here.

I like Sushi, it's the only way I can eat fish aside from like, canned Tuna, but I haven't eaten it once on this trip and frankly I could go the rest of it without having any even though I do wanna eat some
Go to a Conveyor Belt sushi place. It’s cheaper.

Venus of the Desert Bloom

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
But is it good tho?
Better than what you find in your country. But not so good if you were to compare to more midrange price options. There’s also the novelty though. I would recommend it.

With sushi, you either pay out of the ass for good sushi for high prices or settle for cheaper sushi that isn’t too bad. Either way, you will have a good experience.

Last edited:

osby

Smash Obsessed

That's completely baseless speculation, but I wonder if they prioritized gameplay in this sequel.

Like, given how many characters feel like exact replicas of Melee fighters, I can't help but feel like the devs were more interested in the fighting styles they/competitive scene would like to see. For example, that would explain why they cut Lincoln in favor of his more unique sister or the wildly dysfunctional Toph.

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
No but really.

Teal Mask's main story takes like, an hour max.

How the **** are they going to conclude the main game's plotline involving Terrastilization, the Kitakami plotline with Kieran, and this new Blueberry Academy plotline while apparently also having ****ING ZOMBIES???
Pretty sure the idea is that the Loyal 3 coming back to life is probably something routed in Japanese folklore.

I don't know much about Japanese/shinto folklore so I could me misunderstanding this but from what I gather sometimes spirits of heroes and spirits of the wicked live on as kami amd continue to be worshipped, with bad kami still being worshipped to appease them. So I guess loyalty plaza getting repaired still makes sense.

SneakyLink

NNID
bne9635
Switch FC
SW-6259-3694-6593
FTC leaked a ton of confidential Microsoft Documents overnight, including:
Bethesda’s plans
Discless Series X
Nintendo laughing at Microsoft trying to buy them 2, Electric Boogaloo. Also mentions Valve and WB games, neither of which I think are going to happen (the former has Steam, while the later was more a AT&T thing before Discovery ended up giving WB their best selling game this year)

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
or a delay so they can add them back in.
Look, having all 11 of these characters gone sucks, but that'd probably require the game to be delayed a whole year. And Nick and GameMill refused requests to delay the game by a month or two last time, they're not gonna accept that.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Surgery sucks but hopefully after some recovery I'll get better.
I'm very late to respond to this, but having had to go through surgery myself, I honestly thought that the toughest part was the recovery afterwards. Once you're back home, it's not so bad otherwise.

You got anyone helping you while you recover?
My dog apparently fractured two of her teeth on Sunday. She's gonna have to get them removed tomorrow. It'll probably take a couple of days for her to recover.
Soo many of the cuts are just, what were they thinking?

You add Squidward, which is great, but cut Sandy? Why?

Lincoln gets cut. The main character from Nick's 2nd most popular show?

You cut 2 of the Ninja Turtles... and replace them with 2 of the Ninja Turtles? Literally why?

Toph is a hugely fan favorite Avatar character AFAIK, and you cut them?

You literally nuked Catdog and Ah! Real Monster's representation to nothing.
GameMills: Wants to copy on Smash's success
Also GameMills: Proceeds to cut out half the veterans from the previous game including one that was a memetic request.

Kek.

Seriously, I don't understand this line of thinking. Who the **** thought this was a good idea? They should be fired.

The only way they can redeem themselves is if they do free updates of the missing veterans or an "EVERYONE IS HERE" with the third game, though I wouldn't be surprised if next game they cut out half the newcomers in this game and the returning veterans of this game are cut bringing back the ones from the first.

At this point all interest I had in this game is lost. Not even the
beavers
can save it for me because I really wanted to fight my Aussie bro Mamboo07 Mamboo07 as Lincoln online. Ya didn't deserve it man, I'm so sorry...

Last edited:

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
Who the **** thought this was a good idea
Someone who wanted to make newcomers. Judging by how many veterans were cut and how many newcomers have been leaked, if they wanted to bring everyone back they'd only have resources for one newcomer. We'd still have issues like only two Turtles.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Someone who wanted to make newcomers. Judging by how many veterans were cut and how many newcomers have been leaked, if they wanted to bring everyone back they'd only have resources for one newcomer. We'd still have issues like only two Turtles.
The problem is cuts though like Lincoln and the other two turtles. Cutting out Lincoln is like cutting out Link from Smash.

If it was something more around the lines like Lucy then I could get it...But the protag of Nick's second biggest cash cow???

Last edited:

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
The problem is cuts though like Lincoln and the other two turtles. Cutting out Lincoln is like cutting out Link from Smash.

If it was something more around the lines like Lucy then I could get it...But the protag of Nick's second biggest cash cow???
Yeah, and we'd still only have two turtles if they focused on remaking every single veteran.

Smash fans realize why "everyone is here" is a rarity in fighting games challenge

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
musical snippet and later on another trailer

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
Nick really should have approached a bigger gaming company that wasn't GameMills...
Even if they chose a higher budget publisher, Ludosity and Fair Play would likely still only have enough resources to only make 25-26 characters in two years. That's an average number of characters even for higher budget fighters.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Even if they chose a higher budget publisher, Ludosity and Fair Play would likely still only have enough resources to only make 25-26 characters in two years. That's an average number of characters even for higher budget fighters.
Still, I don't understand cutting out two of the turtles and Lincoln. Lucy would have made sense but Lincoln??? The protag of Nick's second biggest cash cow??? What kind of line of thinking is that? To cut out the protag but have his sister stay in?

I'm just baffled and dumbfounded...

Last edited:

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
Still, I don't understand cutting out two of the turtles and Lincoln. Lucy would have made sense but Lincoln??? The protag of Nick's second biggest cash cow??? What kind of line of thinking is that? To cut out the protag but have his sister stay in?
I already told you. They wanted to make newcomers and only have enough resources to (re)make 26 fighters total. Newcomers are a big part of marketing crossover fighters like this, even when you're working with a company with shoddy marketing.

Last edited:

Shroob

Sup?
Pretty sure the idea is that the Loyal 3 coming back to life is probably something routed in Japanese folklore.

I don't know much about Japanese/shinto folklore so I could me misunderstanding this but from what I gather sometimes spirits of heroes and spirits of the wicked live on as kami amd continue to be worshipped, with bad kami still being worshipped to appease them. So I guess loyalty plaza getting repaired still makes sense.
Loyalty Plaza getting repaired is entirely a profit driven thing. The caretaker even lets slip it's 100% because tourism makes up the town's biggest source of income.

As for them revining, don't forget that Kieran had the Teal Mask in his possession, which had been retrofitted with some shiny new Terastilization crystals in it. Which minutes before we got lore dumped about their connection to the dead.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
I already told you. They wanted to make newcomers and only have enough resources to (re)make 26 fighters total. Newcomers are a big part of marketing crossover fighters than this, even when you're working with a company with shoddy marketing.
Then cut out Lucy but not Lincoln. Cutting Lincoln out is like cutting Link from Smash.

TheMightyP

Smash Obsessed
I mean I get why characters were cut, but I think what people have an issue with are the characters that got in instead. Like this is Nick ALL STAR Brawl, and a lot of the cut characters are what I define as Nickelodeon All Star line up, especially when some pillars of Nicks early days are straight up vaporized like CatDog

Top Bottom