• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social The Social Thread 3.2.1

Favorite announcement at the Indie World

• Little Kitty, Big City

Votes: 3 12.5%
  • Yars Rising

Votes: 4 16.7%
  • Refind Self: The Personality Test Game

Votes: 1 4.2%
  • Sticky Business

• Antonblast

Votes: 10 41.7%
  • Valley Peaks

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Lorelei and the Laser Eyes

Votes: 4 16.7%
  • Helder Pinto

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • TMNT Splintered Fate

Votes: 5 20.8%
  • Cat Quest 3

• stitch

Votes: 2 8.3%
  • Steamworld Heist 2

• One of the games from the montage

• None

Votes: 7 29.2%

• Total voters

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
Well, if they lose, Sony is going to be a sore loser about it. Sony plans to keep all things related to the PS6 from Activision-Blizzard if the former loses.
They’d be a bit foolish to not allow COD on their systems (since that’s legit the only thing they are fighting over).
IMG_8811.png
IMG_8812.png
In addition, Sony keeps trying to treat Nintendo as someone who isn’t a threat while Microsoft still sees them as a respected competitor; going as far as to say that Minecraft does better on the Switch than on the PS5 and Xbox (PC and mobile revenue wasn’t revealed in court)

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
Super Mario Wonder

Please

Don’t have the final boss just be another fight with Bowser on a bridge.

I get it, it’s iconic, but it’s time to do something fresh with 2D Bowser battles.
Bowser with a gun that erases you from Mario history

Hydreigonfan01

Smash Master
The Nintendo Direct made it clear that a Pokémon Presents is in the near future, and I feel it'll be around July.

And some noticed the first Pokémon movie will turn 25 in July so maybe that could be something.
First movie anniversary aside, I don't see a Pokemon Presents happening when we just got the trailers for the Scarlet and Violet DLC and Detective Pikachu 2. It'd be a bit weird to have a Presents planned for July but instead put those two games in the June Direct. I'm pretty sure Warner Bros is behind the Detective Pikachu movie sequel so I also doubt that would be in a Pokemon Presents either.

Care to explain your thoughts?

Wario Bros.

Smash Obsessed
NNID
WarioBrose
3DS FC
0903-2806-9000
Switch FC
SW-8539-3655-2004
First movie anniversary aside, I don't see a Pokemon Presents happening when we just got the trailers for the Scarlet and Violet DLC and Detective Pikachu 2. It'd be a bit weird to have a Presents planned for July but instead put those two games in the June Direct. I'm pretty sure Warner Bros is behind the Detective Pikachu movie sequel so I also doubt that would be in a Pokemon Presents either.

Care to explain your thoughts?
Honestly, the Direct showed footage and not much on the detail department IMO. And I really can't see live-action news at a Presents.

Just what I feel.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
DBFZ inspired alts for that Gohan drawing I did, couldn't remember if I had posted these on any site besides Newgrounds.

On the last Gauntlet for MUA3. It's one where you have to beat every main character. Spider-Man's a tough customer, Daredevil's a menace. Venom's kind of tough, Iron Man and Storm's slightly tough, Deadpool's annoying. Punisher is like fighting ANY annoying Zoner in a fighting game. Still have to clear it, cause I ran out of time almost beating Cyclops, Colossus and Phoenix.

Aligo

Smash Ace
Any scientist claiming they'll be bringing back mammoths is a quack.
The basis is there, unlike nuclear fusion. The main issue is logistics, as the process would involve using an African elephant to act as a surrogate mother to a hybrid mammoth/elephant embryo.

Quite understandbly, elephants are quite difficult for laboratories to obtain these days. I don't envy the people who will have to go through a mountain of legislation to actually get things going.

PK-remling Fire

Smash Ace
Broke: Bring back wooly mammoths
Woke: Bring back wooly rhinos

They could use these guys (sumatran rhinos, the closest living relatives to wooly rhinos which have retained their hairy genes) as a base to revive wooly rhinos and have them fill in that sweet tundra megafauna ecological niche.
large.jpg

Last edited:

Aligo

Smash Ace

They could use these guys (sumatran rhinos, the closest living relatives to wooly rhinos which have retained their hairy genes) as a base to revive wooly rhinos and have them fill in that sweet tundra megafauna ecological niche.
View attachment 374107
I think the main reason they have looked to woolly mammoths first is because they have a surprisingly large DNA bank available for use compared to other megafauna, because they went extinct far more recently (in relative terms).

PK-remling Fire

Smash Ace
It definitely is weird to think about the fact that mammoths were still around while the pyramids of Egypt existed, also that their extinction actively contributed to global warming (by only about 0.3% F, but still)

Last edited:

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
The basis is there, unlike nuclear fusion. The main issue is logistics, as the process would involve using an African elephant to act as a surrogate mother to a hybrid mammoth/elephant embryo.

Quite understandbly, elephants are quite difficult for laboratories to obtain these days. I don't envy the people who will have to go through a mountain of legislation to actually get things going.
Is the basis really there though?

DNA has a half-life of around 521 years. Wooly Mammoths have been extinct for 4,000. There's not going to be enough left go clone one, even if you could clone from dead cells.

Now there's this private, for-profit company called Collossal that wants to genetically modify elephants to have features of ancient woolly mammoths and are claiming it'll save the artuc tundra and fight climate change. And they promise to do this in a remarkably short ammount of time, all the while brushing aside all the ethical and practical concerns of ecologists outside the company. The whole thing reaks to me of an investor scam, just like so many failed mammoth ressurection attempts from before.

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
I just realized that the Persona equivalent to Daisy is Chie

Shroob

Sup?
I've said it before, much to Snake's annoyance, but

Maybe, it's okay to let the dead just, rest. More often than not, aside from the animals that humans have directly harmed within the last few hundred years, the animals that went extinct, went extinct for a reason.

Noipoi

Howdy!

Maybe, it's okay to let the dead just, rest. More often than not, aside from the animals that humans have directly harmed within the last few hundred years, the animals that went extinct, went extinct for a reason.
I completely agree. Nature is gonna do whatever it's gonna do, and we should probably let it be.

With that said, I think bringing back the dodo bird would be funny as hell.

Shroob

Sup?
Yeah uh so it looks like Colossal is claiming they have plans to do that too.
Even though I severely doubt they will.

I'm just imagining a scenario

Some scientist, in a lab surrounded by the damn things like awkwardly strutting around. The scientist questioning their life decisions on how they got to this point of bringing back a frankly useless, fat bird of all things was worth years upon years of research and millions of dollars in funding.

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
Even though I severely doubt they will.

I'm just imagining a scenario

Some scientist, in a lab surrounded by the damn things like awkwardly strutting around. The scientist questioning their life decisions on how they got to this point of bringing back a frankly useless, fat bird of all things was worth years upon years of research and millions of dollars in funding.

Tbf though humans are absolutely at fault for the Dodo's death, they were suited for their large predator-free island enviroment before we messed it up by introducing dogs and cats.

Still far too late to save 'em though.

Mamboo07

Smash Hero

Always a myth, buried in prehistoric times... Not to be touched, never to be seen by man...

Some things were meant to be left alone...
Forever.

Jondolio

Smash Hero
Just found out that the new Superman actor is Jewish.

That makes me so happy because Superman was created by two Jews and is commonly read as an allegory for Jewish American immigrants, plus we're at an age where a lot of Jewish comic book characters are being portrayed by non-Jewish actors.

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
Always a myth, buried in prehistoric times... Not to be touched, never to be seen by man...

Some things were meant to be left alone...
Forever.
That’s what things like Jurassic Park taught us, did they not? The question is, will we learn from that?

DynamicSmasher

Smash Cadet
No we should totally bring back mammoths. Imagine the cheese you could get from a mammoth. Mammoth Cheese. Mmm...
Humans actually can't drink elephant milk, so the Mammoth Cheese dream may be deader than the animals it's based on unfortunately

Last edited:

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
Ooromine IV, the second planet from the sun FS-176
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
Manifesting from the grave to say I will forever be sad they removed these from TotK.

BotW_Great-Horned_Rhinoceros_Concept_Art.png

They are better off not having to deal with us, but just look at 'em rhinos are so neat

Dyllybirdy

Smash Hero
I've seen a lot of talk on de-extinction in this thread recently, and I thought I'd weigh in. When it comes to de-extinction, the most feasible method doesn't actually involve the cloning of a genetically pure member of an extinct species, rather the use of genome editing to create hybrids that resemble extinct species. After first sequencing the genomes of an extinct species and it's closest living relative, you then compare the two, and insert the most important parts of the extinct species' genome into the genome of the extant species. For example, to create something that resembles a woolly mammoth, you would insert traits such as their fur and smaller ears into the genome of an Asian elephant.

But, personally, I'm of the belief that bringing back the woolly mammoth in particular is an awful idea. It can be assumed that, like the elephants of today, they were social, wide roaming, highly intelligent animals who learned from the examples of their elders. Getting these animals to adapt to life in the wild would be an incredibly long and costly process that would be far more trouble than it's worth.

This doesn't mean I'm entirely opposed to de-extinction however. There are many species I believe, if brought back, would have a positive impact on the preservation and restoration of our current ecosystems. Species like the thylacine, gastric-brooding frog, great auk, dodo, passenger pigeon, Pyrenean ibex, huia, or heck, even animals like the woolly rhino or Steller's sea cow are far better candidates for de-extinction than the woolly mammoths. As long as the focus of de-extinction is on restoring our ecosystems rather than just on the novelty of the idea, I think it has a chance of doing some good.

osby

Smash Obsessed
I've seen a lot of talk on de-extinction in this thread recently, and I thought I'd weigh in. When it comes to de-extinction, the most feasible method doesn't actually involve the cloning of a genetically pure member of an extinct species, rather the use of genome editing to create hybrids that resemble extinct species. After first sequencing the genomes of an extinct species and it's closest living relative, you then compare the two, and insert the most important parts of the extinct species' genome into the genome of the extant species. For example, to create something that resembles a woolly mammoth, you would insert traits such as their fur and smaller ears into the genome of an Asian elephant.

But, personally, I'm of the belief that bringing back the woolly mammoth in particular is an awful idea. It can be assumed that, like the elephants of today, they were social, wide roaming, highly intelligent animals who learned from the examples of their elders. Getting these animals to adapt to life in the wild would be an incredibly long and costly process that would be far more trouble than it's worth.

This doesn't mean I'm entirely opposed to de-extinction however. There are many species I believe, if brought back, would have a positive impact on the preservation and restoration of our current ecosystems. Species like the thylacine, gastric-brooding frog, great auk, dodo, passenger pigeon, Pyrenean ibex, huia, or heck, even animals like the woolly rhino or Steller's sea cow are far better candidates for de-extinction than the woolly mammoths. As long as the focus of de-extinction is on restoring our ecosystems rather than just on the novelty of the idea, I think it has a chance of doing some good.
Great insight, thanks for this comment!

I think there's a lot of good that can come from reintroducing extinct species to nature, especially the ones that disappeared due to human influence. Let's not forget that humanity is one of the six major extinction events and we absolutely caused more species to disappear than we can ever "resurrect".

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Ditto here. Recent extinctions I think are best to bring back but anything thousands of years ago like mammoths should remain extinct.

If I may ask though why the woolly rhino but you think mammoths aren't a good idea even though like mammoths they died thousands of years ago?

Last edited:

Aligo

Smash Ace
The whole reason why cheese was invented was to convert milk into an edible form before lactose tolerance became more common. It is also why you can have sheep and buffalo cheese even though the milks are unpalatable.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Regardless of how much destruction we cause to the planet. In the long run. The earth is gonna be fine. It'll take a long time but it'll recover. Look how long it took with the Permian-Triassic Extinction and KT-Extinction? Those were far worst and life managed to still bounce back.

The reason why should act is more for ourselves, to make it habitable for us.

Give it away George Carlin!

Last edited:

Dyllybirdy

Smash Hero
Ditto here. Recent extinctions I think are best to bring back but anything thousands of years ago like mammoths should remain extinct.

If I may ask though why the woolly rhino but you think mammoths aren't a good idea even though like mammoths they died thousands of years ago?
It's certainly more feasible than bringing back mammoths. Unlike mammoths and elephants, most rhinos aren't particularly social, or anywhere near as intelligent, so it would probably be easier for them to adapt to their new environment. Another issue could be poaching, though since poachers target rhinos for their horns, maybe this could be mitigated by editing the rhino's genome so that the horn barely grows at all, being nothing but a stump.

Do I think it's a good idea to bring back woolly rhinos? Eh. I agree with you that de-extinction efforts should prioritise more recently extinct species. But of the Pleistocene megafauna, which many like to bring up whenever there are talks of de-extinction, I believe the woolly rhino would be easier to bring back than most.

Top Bottom