• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social The Social Thread 3.2.1

Favorite announcement of today's double Direct feature

• Balatro: Friends of Jimbo update

Votes: 2 5.1%
  • Neva

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Coffee Talk Tokyo

Votes: 1 2.6%
  • Powerwash Simulator Shrek DLC

• Date Everything!

• Pizza Tower

Votes: 18 46.2%
  • Other (Indie World)

• Tetris Forever + NES Tetris on NSO + Tetris 99 Cup

Votes: 8 20.5%
  • The Legend of Heroes Trial in the Sky the 1st

Votes: 5 12.8%
  • Spongebob Squarepants: The Patrick Star Game

• Fitness Boxing 3

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Capcom Fighting Collection 2

Votes: 20 51.3%
  • Atelier Yumia: The Alchemist of Memories & The Envisioned Land

• Castlevania Dominus Collection

Votes: 19 48.7%
  • MySims Cozy Bundle

Votes: 3 7.7%
  • Rune Factory: Guardians of Azuma

• Yakuza Kiwami

• Other (Partner Showcase)

Votes: 1 2.6%
  • Nothing in Either

• The Sonic 3 Trailer

Votes: 21 53.8%

• Total voters

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
KingofPhantoms KingofPhantoms why did the found footage show me a spider and pointed at the spider calling it a spider.

Whether it's supposed to relate to something that hasn't been revealed yer or a metaphor for one of the elements of the story, it's yet unclear.

...I still think the video was scary awesome, though.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
Question: if marvel vs. capcom 2 got 8 more fighters added (enough to make the select screen a square) who would you want added?

Further details: in this hypothetical the added characters are from a hypothetical “updated” edition released later into the PS2 generation. So a few characters are eligible and a few characters aren’t.

my answer
Marvel
  • Thor
    • Reason: he’s a fairly big marvel character even before his movie, or at least common one and he was an assist in Marvel 1 so they had at least a few sprites to work with.
  • Either Captain Marvel (Mar-Vell) or Ms. Marvel (Carol Danvers)
    • They bear the publishers name and Marvel 2 already has a tonne of c-listers and obscure characters (for the time) in it. Why not one who’s not an X-Man?
  • The Fantastic Four as a team fighter or any member on their own.
    • Reason: I mean come on. It would be really easy to do this in sprites and it’s Marvel’s first family. They deserve to be here. And if they could only manage one member, then the others could still cameo in the level 3 super.
  • Doctor Octopus
    • Reason: Spider-Man has one of the most iconic rogues galleries in all of comics and it’s criminal that they’ve only ever done Venom. Doc Ock will fit right in. Maybe even summon other members of the Sinister Six for his level 3 super.
Capcom
  • Sir Arthur
    • Reason: Mostly because he would end up in the series later and he already had sprites as an assist in Marvel 2
  • Zero
    • Reason: For how iconic the X series is and for it being current at the time and a lot of the games being sprite based, it’s really weird Zero didn’t make it to the games till Marvel 3.
  • Dante
    • Reason: One of capcom’s most iconic characters who just missed the cutoff date for the initial version. But if this hypothetical update released later in the 2000s, then they could at least scrape together a version of him based on DMC1.
  • Nemesis T-Type
    • Reason: Resident Evil is huge for Capcom but marvel 2 only has Jill. Lets include her arch nemesis (tee hee) as well.
Honorable mention goes to Dimitri Maximoff if only for Marvel midnight bliss forms
Marvel:
  • The Thing - it seems baffling that the Fantastic Four didn't make it into any Marvel vs. Capcom game. The Thing could mix boxing and wrestling moves into his attacks, along with calling the other FF members for assists. (plus, it would be great to hear "it's Clobberin' Time!")
  • Scarlet Witch - she was one of the main Avengers in the Busiek/Perez run, which had started around the time that development would have begun (that run started in 1998). I was torn between her, She-Hulk, and the Wasp for this spot, but Wanda seemed to have a bigger role early on.
  • Nightcrawler - the X-Men were huge in the 90's, and Nightcrawler seems like one of the most popular members who didn't make it into one of these games. (then again, I didn't think of Jean until after I typed this)
  • Black Panther - the Christopher Priest run started in 1998, which helped to reinvent the character, and I'd be interested to see how the developers could incorporate Wakandan tech into his moves. (it was either him or Ms. Marvel, a.k.a. Carol Danvers, since she was on the Busiek/Perez Avengers team and she had ties to the X-Men; I could easily picture either of them being in)
Capcom:
  • Zero - while there were four Mega Man characters in MvC2 (Mega Man, Roll, Tron Bonne, and Servbot), it feels odd that the X series didn't get any attention when it came to the roster. X or Zero could work, but Zero's more visually distinct.
  • Tessa - I wanted to incorporate a character from one of Capcom's lesser known fighting games like Red Earth, though presumably she'd be using new sprites to match the style of MvC2.
  • Mike Haggar - there are no Final Fight characters in MvC2, which seems like an oversight. I get that Mike Haggar would have some similarities to Zangief, but having the two of them face off seems like one of those "dream match" kind of things that weirdly hasn't been fulfilled yet
  • Jon Talbain - Darkstalkers characters seem like they'd make the transition to MvC easily enough, and Talbain's a kung-fu-using werewolf.
Admittedly, some of my list was likely inspired on some level by the Marvel Cinematic Universe and/or Marvel vs. Capcom 3. (I feel like it would be tough to completely avoid those two as sources of inspiration) I probably should have tried to come up with at least one unorthodox character, like how Shuma-Gorath was picked because he was distinctly non-humanoid, but I couldn't think of one off the top of my head.

Last edited:

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
Question: if marvel vs. capcom 2 got 8 more fighters added (enough to make the select screen a square) who would you want added?

Further details: in this hypothetical the added characters are from a hypothetical “updated” edition released later into the PS2 generation. So a few characters are eligible and a few characters aren’t.

my answer
Marvel
  • Thor
    • Reason: he’s a fairly big marvel character even before his movie, or at least common one and he was an assist in Marvel 1 so they had at least a few sprites to work with.
  • Either Captain Marvel (Mar-Vell) or Ms. Marvel (Carol Danvers)
    • They bear the publishers name and Marvel 2 already has a tonne of c-listers and obscure characters (for the time) in it. Why not one who’s not an X-Man?
  • The Fantastic Four as a team fighter or any member on their own.
    • Reason: I mean come on. It would be really easy to do this in sprites and it’s Marvel’s first family. They deserve to be here. And if they could only manage one member, then the others could still cameo in the level 3 super.
  • Doctor Octopus
    • Reason: Spider-Man has one of the most iconic rogues galleries in all of comics and it’s criminal that they’ve only ever done Venom. Doc Ock will fit right in. Maybe even summon other members of the Sinister Six for his level 3 super.
Capcom
  • Sir Arthur
    • Reason: Mostly because he would end up in the series later and he already had sprites as an assist in Marvel 2
  • Zero
    • Reason: For how iconic the X series is and for it being current at the time and a lot of the games being sprite based, it’s really weird Zero didn’t make it to the games till Marvel 3.
  • Dante
    • Reason: One of capcom’s most iconic characters who just missed the cutoff date for the initial version. But if this hypothetical update released later in the 2000s, then they could at least scrape together a version of him based on DMC1.
  • Nemesis T-Type
    • Reason: Resident Evil is huge for Capcom but marvel 2 only has Jill. Lets include her arch nemesis (tee hee) as well.
Honorable mention goes to Dimitri Maximoff if only for Marvel midnight bliss forms
Marvel:
  • Carnage: "Red Venom" in MvC1 feels like they wanted him in the game already, and in terms of newcomers who'd be blatant edits of preexisting sprites I think he'd be a better idea than Bone-Claw Wolverine
  • Thor: Same reasons as you
  • Blade: His movie trilogy was ongoing at the time, and the original movie in it was what saved superhero movies from being brutally murdered by Batman & Robin
  • Thing: Similar with "Red Venom" being a stand-in for Carnage, "Orange Hulk" feels like a stand-in for him, except he'd need more work when it comes to spriting.
Capcom:

• Alex: For the sake of having an SF3 character on the roster
  • Guy: Similar reasons why Megadoomer put Haggar, except he has fighter sprites already made from the Alpha games
  • Zero: Reasons have already been said by both of you
  • Anita: Secret character in Marvel Super Heroes, and MvC2 is supposed to be a dream match involving everyone playable in previous games except secret characters who were recolors (nor characters who represent neither Marvel nor Capcom, hence no Norimaru) so why isn't she in?

Last edited:

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
Marvel:
  • Carnage: "Red Venom" in MvC1 feels like they wanted him in the game already, and in terms of newcomers who'd be blatant edits of preexisting sprites I think he'd be a better idea than Bone-Claw Wolverine
  • Blade: His movie trilogy was ongoing at the time, and the original movie in it was what saved superhero movies from being brutally murdered by Batman & Robin
  • Thing: Similar with "Red Venom" being a stand-in for Carnage, "Orange Hulk" feels like a stand-in for him, except he'd need more work when it comes to spriting.
Capcom:

• Guy: Similar reasons why Megadoomer put Haggar, except he has fighter sprites already made from the Alpha games
  • Anita: Secret character in Marvel Super Heroes, and MvC2 is supposed to be a dream match involving everyone playable in previous games except secret characters who were recolors (nor characters who represent neither Marvel nor Capcom, hence no Norimaru) so why isn't she in?
Anita certainly would have been a better pick than Servbot.
Marvel:
  • The Thing - it seems baffling that the Fantastic Four didn't make it into any Marvel vs. Capcom game. The Thing could mix boxing and wrestling moves into his attacks, along with calling the other FF members for assists. (plus, it would be great to hear "it's Clobberin' Time!")
  • Scarlet Witch - she was one of the main Avengers in the Busiek/Perez run, which had started around the time that development would have begun (that run started in 1998). I was torn between her, She-Hulk, and the Wasp for this spot, but Wanda seemed to have a bigger role early on.
  • Nightcrawler - the X-Men were huge in the 90's, and Nightcrawler seems like one of the most popular members who didn't make it into one of these games. (then again, I didn't think of Jean until after I typed this)
  • Black Panther - the Christopher Priest run started in 1998, which helped to reinvent the character, and I'd be interested to see how the developers could incorporate Wakandan tech into his moves. (it was either him or Ms. Marvel, a.k.a. Carol Danvers, since she was on the Busiek/Perez Avengers team and she had ties to the X-Men; I could easily picture either of them being in)
Capcom:
  • Zero - while there were four Mega Man characters in MvC2 (Mega Man, Roll, Tron Bonne, and Servbot), it feels odd that the X series didn't get any attention when it came to the roster. X or Zero could work, but Zero's more visually distinct.
  • Tessa - I wanted to incorporate a character from one of Capcom's lesser known fighting games like Red Earth, though presumably she'd be using new sprites to match the style of MvC2.
  • Mike Haggar - there are no Final Fight characters in MvC2, which seems like an oversight. I get that Mike Haggar would have some similarities to Zangief, but having the two of them face off seems like one of those "dream match" kind of things that weirdly hasn't been fulfilled yet
  • Jon Talbain - Darkstalkers characters seem like they'd make the transition to MvC easily enough, and Talbain's a kung-fu-using werewolf.
Admittedly, some of my list was likely inspired on some level by the Marvel Cinematic Universe and/or Marvel vs. Capcom 3. (I feel like it would be tough to completely avoid those two as sources of inspiration) I probably should have tried to come up with at least one unorthodox character, like how Shuma-Gorath was picked because he was distinctly non-humanoid, but I couldn't think of one off the top of my head.
This is why I hate trying to make MvC rosters. There are too many choices from both companies and they all have perfectly valid reasons for being there. So when I try to put any sort of limit on it it just makes the whole process unsatisfying.

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
Marvel:
Capcom:

A lot of your points reminded me that Apocalypse and Onslaught didn't end up in marvel 2 either. They had sprite sheets and normal sized forms from their previous appearances as bosses. They would have been fun to play as.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
A lot of your points reminded me that Apocalypse and Onslaught didn't end up in marvel 2 either. They had sprite sheets and normal sized forms from their previous appearances as bosses. They would have been fun to play as.
Apocalypse's sprites don't include enough normal fighter-sized ones, just ones for his intro and defeat animations.

As for Onslaught, he may not have had enough attacks. It's why the four bosses were initially unplayable in SFII, and when playing CE and HF you can see their attack animations are so repetitive that Balrog literally has only one aerial. SFII fighters are supposed to have twelve.

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
There's still no official release date for it yet, but I'm really hoping that Iron Lung premieres in October.

It'd be awesome too watch the film adaptation in the spookiest time of the year.

Jondolio

Smash Hero
I'm at the third semester of Persona 5 Royal

Okay I actually might like this new Akechi. He's a different kind of prick, instead of being a condescending smug ***** he's just a straight up sociopath but the difference is, being a sociopath is actually just Akechi being his true self so I genuinely prefer it that way. It's very subtle but even his portrait looks different now which really illustrates the fact that he's done with putting on fronts. I still think he was an idiot for his prior actions but at least now there are no pretenses about him being an asshole

Also hot Maruki is unnerving for multiple reasons

Last edited:

StormC

Smash Hero
I'm at the third semester of Persona 5 Royal

Okay I actually might like this new Akechi. He's a different kind of prick, instead of being a condescending smug ***** he's just a straight up sociopath but the difference is, being a sociopath is actually just Akechi being his true self so I genuinely prefer it that way. It's very subtle but even his portrait looks different now which really illustrates the fact that he's done with putting on fronts. I still think he was an idiot for his prior actions but at least now there are no pretenses about him being an asshole

Also hot Maruki is unnerving for multiple reasons
Akechi is definitely a much more enjoyable character in Royal between his Social Link and the third semester. I love the uneasy alliance between him, Joker, and Kasumi.

SneakyLink

NNID
bne9635
Switch FC
SW-6259-3694-6593
Here are some Fortnite collab updates:

Iron Man has returned to the game. This time, his armor is based on Avengers Age of Ultron.

The Incredibles are coming this update!
New collab: Saw. I’m not sure how they’ll make Jigsaw work (maybe as a backbling?)

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
Day 57: Goodra

Hot take? I dunno but Goodra is one of the cutest Pokemon to me. I just think it's adorable, have since 2013.

It's one of my favorite Psuedos, and it's definitely my second favorite Kalos dragon type :4wario2:
We've had so many cool and badass psuedo legendaries before, and while they're all awesome it was kind of refreshing to see Kalos go for one that was more cute and whimsical again. It feels almost like an homage to the archetype's roots in Dragonite.

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
Alright. I made a roster for Ultimate Tournament. My pet idea since childhood. Just taking the biggest fighting game franchises and mashing the rosters together in one big crossover. This is the first time I've done this while explicitly dis-including fighting games made from characters who debuted outside the medium (No Smash, no P4A, no FighterZ, no Dissidia, no Injustice, no Mahvel), and I think the roster is better for it. Would very much like opinions.
Street Fighter
  • Ryu
  • Ken Masters
  • Chun-Li
  • Zangief
  • Cammy White
  • M. Bison
  • Akuma
Darkstalkers
  • Morrigan Aensland
  • Jon Talbain
  • Baby Bonnie Hood
Mortal Kombat
  • Scorpion
  • Sub-Zero
  • Raiden
  • Sonya Blade
  • Kano
  • Shang Tsung
  • Shao Khan
Tekken
  • Heihachi Mishima
  • Kazuya Mishima
  • Jin Kazama
  • Nina Williams
  • King
  • Yoshimitsu
  • Marshall Law
SoulCalibur
  • Heishiro Mitsurugi
  • Sophitia Alexandra
  • Ivy Valentine
  • Nightmare
Dead or Alive
  • Kasumi
  • Ryu Hayabusa
  • Tina Armstrong
  • Bayman
  • Helena Douglas
Killer Instinct
  • Jago
  • Black Orchid
  • Fulgore
  • Riptor
Virtua Fighter
  • Akira Yuki
  • Jacky Bryant
  • Sarah Bryant
  • Dural
Fatal Fury
  • Terry Bogard
  • Mai Shiranui
  • Geese Howard
King of Fighters
  • Kyo Kusanagi
  • Iori Yagami
  • Kula Diamond
  • Rugal Bernstein
Samurai Shodown
  • Haohmaru
  • Nakoruru
BlazBlue
  • Ragna the Bloodedge
  • Jin Kisaragi
  • Noel Vermillion
  • Taokaka
  • Susano'o
Guilty Gear
  • Sol Badguy
  • Baiken
  • Bridget
  • Testament
  • Asuka R. Kreutz
Under Night In Birth
  • Hyde Kido
  • Merkava
  • Vatista
Skullgirls
  • Filia Medici
  • Cerebella
  • Valentine

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
decided to check out the Boruto movie…damn I’m already annoyed by his ***** ass and it’s only been 10 minutes

Edit: saw the birthday scene…HAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
Edit 2: Sarada being voiced by Makoto/Queen…ok she’s already my favorite character in this batch

Last edited:

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
SW: 5586-2837-4585
You ever just... have that certain taste bud that you don't know about but when you eat something new, it explodes I sheer happiness?

I don't know what I'm saying either- this chicken sandwich ****ing rocked.
Your taste bud reacting to the chicken sadnwich
IMG_20180505_231614.jpg

The Feds got Diddy.

No more DK games for a long time.
I actually read up on the **** they foubd and all I gotta say is
hqdefault (2).jpg

Last edited:
Top Bottom