• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social The Social Thread 3.2.1

Favorite announcement of this Direct?

• Total voters

TheMightyP

Smash Obsessed
I dont play the gaaames, I have a CHROMEBOOK đŸ˜«
Also. Why would I play that whitewashes every playable character thats supposed to be dark skinned like Genshin
So you watch gameplay? You watch streamers play the game and enjoy it? Is that what I'm hearing? I don't support this woman's wrong, repeal the 15th and 19th amendment.

Alphine Agnitio

Certified Nerdâ„¢
People look at me like I'm crazy, but on the rare occasions where I do watch Dragon Ball, I just can't watch it subbed.

Goku's voice is too iconic, so to go from "HEY IT'S ME, GOKU!" to his JP voice is too jarring.
I will admit this is how I feel about pokemon but its ENTIRELY nostalgia and the fact that pokemon names get localized so its hard to follow along having to mentally translate what pikachu is in the anime compared to what I know it as

Shroob

Sup?
I usually do everything dubbed, unless a dub is unavaliable or just plain sucks (which is rare). There's no wrong way, both subs and dubs have a lot of heart put into them.

Y'all think Japanese dudes just go online and debate if the Family Guy sub is better than the dub?
I've seen this exact thing, actually.

And Japanese people call each other "Westaboos" for liking American cartoons like South Park.

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
SW: 5586-2837-4585
I've seen this exact thing, actually.

And Japanese people call each other "Westaboos" for liking American cartoons like South Park.
I think westaboos are mostly people who love the wild west
Oh ok yeah, its japanese fans of western stuff, you right

Last edited:

StormC

Smash Hero
I don't watch anime dubs anymore but I don't care if others do. The problem is often anime dub discussion (especially for older dubs that are often of mediocre quality) often becomes "the original Japanese version is complete crap, how could ANYONE like it" like anime isn't made by and for Japanese audiences. It's a condescending attitude to foreign cultures that bothers me. But other than that go nuts with whatever you want to watch.

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
SW: 5586-2837-4585
I don't watch anime dubs anymore but I don't care if others do. The problem is often anime dub discussion (especially for older dubs that are often of mediocre quality) often becomes "the original Japanese version is complete crap, how could ANYONE like it" like anime isn't made by and for Japanese audiences. It's a condescending attitude to foreign cultures that bothers me. But other than that go nuts with whatever you want to watch.
Dont forget, there is awful and cringy Japanese dubs too. You just dont notice it because you dont speak the language

Last edited:

StormC

Smash Hero
Dont forget, there is awful and cringy Japanese dubs too. You just dont notice it because you dont speak the language
You’re assuming I don’t speak Japanese, for one. But also that has nothing to really do with what I’m talking about with cultural attitudes westerners (especially Anglos) have towards Japanese media.

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
I think the only times I went through an entire anything subbed was with Dragon Ball Super and the Persona 5 anime, and DBS was strictly because I was hella impatient (and then I rewatched everything in dubbed later on anyways)

Last edited:

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280
Me when I realized that I'll almost assuredly never do anything of note and the world at large would be the same if I never existed
1720502246796.png

My first mistake was being born to parents that are not millionaires

Noipoi

Howdy!
Me when I realized that I'll almost assuredly never do anything of note and the world at large would be the same if I never existed
View attachment 392145
snorwake.gif

Nah **** that

Maybe your name won't be in the history books, maybe you'll never be rich, but neither will the majority of people who've ever walked this earth. Would you say all of those lives were meaningless?

Every time you make a friend laugh or do something nice for someone or even just take a breath of fresh air, you're doing something of note. Because you're important, you're life is important. Who cares if you'll never set a world record?

And even after saying all that, who says that you won't become notable for something one day? You've got the whole rest of your life ahead of you, there's no telling what could happen.

Keep your chin up. A trillion coincidences and random and stars had to align just to create you, that means there's a reason you're here. Even if it's just to live a good life that you're satisfied with. That should be notable enough.

Jondolio

Smash Hero
When it comes to anime I usually prefer to watch subbed. I really do prefer seeing the original version of the work, even if I can't understand most of it. I do watch dubs sometimes if I hear they're good, like with Kaguya and Dungeon Meshi.

My position is different from most of you in that English isn't my first language and that I had to grow up with dubs for English speaking shows, and those sucked ass.

osby

Smash Obsessed
I usually prefer subs for both cartoons and anime because I have a much easier time reading than understanding what I'm hearing.

That being said, there are some childhood faves of mine that I can't imagine with their original voices, especially CN and Nickelodeon shows.

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
View attachment 392145
Ever start to think Zor was right?
View attachment 392146
Yeah I'm going through some stuff right now too...
Yeah, I'm with Noi on this. You guys matter regardless of how much influence you've had on the world at large so far.

Not everyone changes the world as we know it. Or even just a certain field or medium. At least not immediately. But, if you're able to enjoy living your lives to the fullest and help the people you care about in life, either by helping them with their own issues or hurdles in life, or just by making them happy, as well as being happy for yourselves and doing the things in life you enjoy, then that's what matters most. And I'm certain that you've both been able to make your friends' and families' lives better, and that you still both have things in life that bring joy to your lives as well. And if you're worried about being able to make a larger influence or difference on the world or achieving your dream goals, don't give up. You've got many years ahead in your lives to achieve those things, and it's never too late.

Keep living your lives to the fullest, keep spending time with your friends and loved ones, because those are the things that matter most. And whatever your life goals and dreams are, never give up on achieving them, because that's the only guarantee that you'll fail. Everyone absolutely matters, regardless of how much influence they might have on the world at large, including you two. Please don't forget that, and the same goes for anyone else here going through anything similar at any point as well.

Pink Yoshi

Smash Champion
View attachment 392147

Nah **** that

Maybe your name won't be in the history books, maybe you'll never be rich, but neither will the majority of people who've ever walked this earth. Would you say all of those lives were meaningless?

Every time you make a friend laugh or do something nice for someone or even just take a breath of fresh air, you're doing something of note. Because you're important, you're life is important. Who cares if you'll never set a world record?

And even after saying all that, who says that you won't become notable for something one day? You've got the whole rest of your life ahead of you, there's no telling what could happen.

Keep your chin up. A trillion coincidences and random and stars had to align just to create you, that means there's a reason you're here. Even if it's just to live a good life that you're satisfied with. That should be notable enough.
I agree completely, this was very well said.

My current problem is that my feelings got shook up a LOT by an event, one I don't feel comfortable talking about. But basically I feel totally horrible and probably will do for a while.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
So you watch gameplay? You watch streamers play the game and enjoy it? Is that what I'm hearing? I don't support this woman's wrong, repeal the 15th and 19th amendment.
Why the 15th? You just sabotaged yourself. :202:

Alphine Agnitio

Certified Nerdâ„¢

One big reason I love Persona is this is basically one of its primary themes

Actual life changing writing

Jondolio

Smash Hero
I have installed mods for Persona 4 Golden

The game runs much better now and Chie's voice no longer makes my ears bleed

Wario Bros.

Smash Obsessed
NNID
WarioBrose
3DS FC
0903-2806-9000
Switch FC
SW-8539-3655-2004
I'm reading a Shantae fan comic right now and while it's an interesting read so far, I'm not a fan of it changing illustrators every few pages.

Top Bottom