• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social The Social Thread 3.2.1

Favorite announcement of this Direct?

• Total voters

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
View attachment 392190

We are currently in the longest period between Nintendo home console releases.
The Switch and it's collection of games are pretty awesome even if Nintendo still refuses to update the net code, so I'm fine with this.

I'm just curious how different and upgraded it's successor will be...And I'm also seriously hoping it's not a repeat of the Wii U.

Noipoi

Howdy!
The Switch and it's collection of games are pretty awesome even if Nintendo still refuses to update the net code, so I'm fine with this.

I'm just curious how different and upgraded it's successor will be...And I'm also seriously hoping it's not a repeat of the Wii U.
Part of the Wii U's problem was Nintendo misreading the situation. The Wii was a massive success, but it was a fad. Nintendo thought they could repeat the exact same phenomenon and keep raking in the dough, but general audiences had already moved onto the next thing. Meanwhile a lot of dedicated gamers thought the Wii was an underpowered casual-tastic gimmick machine, and the Wii U just looked like more of the same.

I'm hoping they've learned from that experience. While I fully expect the next system to still have the Switch branding, I hope they don't just stroll in expecting everybody to gobble it up like last time. Cocky Nintendo does not always make the best decisions.

Jondolio

Smash Hero
I think I lost to the first major boss of P4G 4 times at this point

Really should've brought more healing items

Shroob

Sup?
Part of the Wii U's problem was Nintendo misreading the situation. The Wii was a massive success, but it was a fad. Nintendo thought they could repeat the exact same phenomenon and keep raking in the dough, but general audiences had already moved onto the next thing. Meanwhile a lot of dedicated gamers thought the Wii was an underpowered casual-tastic gimmick machine, and the Wii U just looked like more of the same.

I'm hoping they've learned from that experience. While I fully expect the next system to still have the Switch branding, I hope they don't just stroll in expecting everybody to gobble it up like last time. Cocky Nintendo does not always make the best decisions.
The WiiU's tablet was also just needlessly big and clunky.

The Switch isn't perfect in terms of portability, but it's legions better than the Leap Pad tablet that the WiiU had.

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453

That, along with ti's massive loss of third party support. Very few third parties outside of some Indie developers and SEGA gave much support to or had any games on the console, especially earlier in it's lifespan, which it hurt Wii U's sales and reception even further.

So long as Nintendo doesn't keep focusing on gimmick hype and keeps getting good third party support, as well as finally fixes some of Nintendo's long time issues like net code, the Switch 2 should be a major success.

Noipoi

Howdy!

The Switch isn't perfect in terms of portability, but it's legions better than the Leap Pad tablet that the WiiU had.
And it was made of the smudgiest, dustiest, most stainable plastic known to man.

After a month every Wii U gamepad had more fingerprints than a police station.

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453

Also, this.

The Gamepad's quality is subjective, but to me, it honestly feels like a prototype to the Switch in hindsight. It's more difficult to use, is meant to be used as a main controller for a game you can otherwise just see on your TV, less portable, and is overall underdeveloped and less convenient compared to the Switch itself being able to function as both a TV console and a portable one all on it's own.

Last edited:

Noipoi

Howdy!
Also, this.

The Gamepad's quality is subjective, but to me, it honestly feels like a prototype to the Switch in hindsight. It's more difficult to use, is meant to be used as a main controller for a game you can otherwise just seen your TV, less portable, and is overall underdeveloped and less convenient compared to the Switch itself being able to function as both a TV console and a portable one all on it's own.
And if you moved the gamepad three inches away from the console it’d have a heart attack.

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
Ironically, since the Wii U came first, it WAS the most powerful console on the market.

But then the PS4 and Xbox One blew it out of the water graphically. And in advertising. And in...everything else.
Except for the name in the Xbox One's case.

Making a name for a console that's somehow worse than "Wii U" is a pretty big accomplishment in of itself.

Shroob

Sup?
Also, may just be me but

Man, the Nintendo games of the WiiU era just felt.... off?

Maybe it's because I really don't have many good memories of Smash 4 other than it "Being a Smash game alright".

I guess "safe" is the word I'm going for, which doesn't seem fair since Pikmin 3 and Mario Kart 8 both came out.

Noipoi

Howdy!
Also, may just be me but

Maybe it's because I really don't have many good memories of Smash 4 other than it "Being a Smash game alright".

I guess "safe" is the word I'm going for, which doesn't seem fair since Pikmin 3 and Mario Kart 8 both came out.
To be fair the Wii U had some good ****. Mario 3D World, Mario Maker, Splatoon, Tropical Freeze, all radical games.

But a lot of the games also felt like they were playing it really safe, and trying to recapture what made the Wii special while neglecting to give the Wii U its own identity. Wii Fit U, Wii Party U, Wii Sports Club, even games like NSMBU felt nearly identical to their Wii predecessors.

And then there’s the games on the system that just…weren’t good. Animal Crossing Amiibo Festival, Mario Tennis Ultra Smash, Star Fox Zero. Just awkward, not very good games.

Add in the lack of third party support and the system’s lineup feels kinda wonky.

TheMightyP

Smash Obsessed
Also, may just be me but

I mean I understand what you mean. The 3D Mario game was great but it wasn't this grand adventure like 64, Sunshine, and the Galaxy games, 2D Mario was just NSMB again, Mario spinoffs were lacking in quality and quantity aside from Mario Kart 8, no new Zelda to define the console (BoTW defines the Switch far more), Smash 4 offers nothing of any note aside from being a Smash game, No Animal Crossing besides the greediest game Nintendo made (which backfired big time), no Metroid, no major Kirby game, no Fire Emblem besides the SMT crossover that sold 10 copies, no 3rd party support, lmao Star Fox.

So like what's left? Mario Kart 8, Pikmin 3, Xenoblade X, Bayonetta 2, Tropical Freeze, and uh... Pokken? Which wasn't even a Wii U exclusive since it was in arcades which was also the superior version.

Not really system movers aside from Mario Kart. Like I got it as a Christmas gift when I was a kid so it doesn't matter now, but if I was an adult during that time and buying it for myself, I would have second guesses on purchasing it (and tbh, maybe not at all. Save the money for a PS4).

edit: So I forgot about Splatoon and Mario Maker so I want to put in an addendum that both were lacking significant features at launch, especially Splatoon which was incomplete at launch and the devs knew it too. Mario Maker was also lacking super basic staples of Mario games even after the updates, like slopes

Last edited:

Jondolio

Smash Hero
Fellas

Is it normal to feel sluggish while playing an RPG? I don't know if this is boredom or if I'm feeling relaxed while playing it, truth be told JRPGs as a genre kind of scare me

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed

The Wii U flopped so hard it’s got people worrying about the ****ing name of the next system.

And I still don’t believe that the name was the reason it failed. For that to be true, the average person would have to be a complete idiots.

The Xbox 360 didn’t confuse people. Not the Xbox One or the series X. Heck, remember the Suoer Nintendo? Why didn’t people think that was just an upgrade for your nes? It wasn’t called the nes 2 after all. Or how about the 3DS. All of these avoided the Wii U’s state of failure despite having the exact same type of name. So stop it with this narrative.

TheMightyP

Smash Obsessed
The Wii U flopped so hard it’s got people worrying about the ****ing name of the next system.

And I still don’t believe that the name was the reason it failed. For that to be true, the average person would have to be a complete idiots.

The Xbox 360 didn’t confuse people. Not the Xbox One or the series X. Heck, remember the Suoer Nintendo? Why didn’t people think that was just an upgrade for your nes? It wasn’t called the nes 2 after all. Or how about the 3DS. All of these avoided the Wii U’s state of failure despite having the exact same type of name. So stop it with this narrative.
It's called the Wii U and the only new thing they advertised was the Gamepad.

It wasn't the sole reason but it was a big reason

Noipoi

Howdy!
IMG_8973.jpeg

You’d be surprised
Not the Xbox One or the series X.
Are you nuts? Do you not remember how many people were confused about the XBONE’s naming scheme?
All of these avoided the Wii U’s state of failure despite having the exact same type of name. So stop it with this narrative.
It’s not that the name thing was the Wii U’s only issue, it just contributed to the issues it already had.

Nintendo was marketing the thing to people who didn’t know anything about games, who brought the Wii and all its accessories because it was the cool thing at the time, and no longer cared about the Wii. The fad was over. They heard the name Wii U in passing, figured it was another gimmicky add-on for a toy they didn’t use anymore, and didn’t buy it.

Last edited:
Top Bottom