• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social The Social Thread 3.2.1

Favorite announcement of this Direct?

• Total voters

TheMightyP

Smash Obsessed
Ok, so I didn't make a roster, but I just threw in some of my most wanted or characters I think would look cool in MVC4 (5? Does Infinite count?)
my-image(1).png

Most of these are just characters that have been absent for a while or newcomers. Now tell me how I'm wrong but I was not feeling up to combing 100+ characters on that list maker lol.

Last edited:

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
Well I watched the first Quiet Place in preparation for Day One. Gonna watch the second film on Thursday.

As I said, I was too hard on these movies back then as I acknowledge some movies require suspension of disbelief to work but if there's still one thing that grates at me, even if its a nitpick.

How Beau's death could've been avoided. In a world run over by seemingly indestructible aliens with armor that can withstand anything and are attracted by sound. You would think the parents would've known better not to let their youngest child trail last in line and keep in the front to watch over him? Also the fact the father didn't place the batteries on a higher shelf where Beau couldn't have grabbed them but instead placed them where he could grab them. You'd think he'd know better. Kids are gonna be kids and aren't sometimes going to listen. I wouldn't have risked it.

Aside from that, I think they're decent movies at best though kind of overrated (There's so much nitpicking these films have I could bring up). I'm excited for Day One since it really gives off those Cloverfield vibes.
I completely agree with the complaint about why Beau died (and have since I first saw the film), but the rest of the film and the concept of portraying the parents as significantly flawed, but also able to learn from and reflect on their mistakes, while ultimately still being loving parents who want nothing more than the safety of their kids, was portrayed excellently throughout the rest of the film.

Also, the opening scene to Part II is honestly one of the best and freakiest opening scenes I've seen in a horror movie in years. That scene alone is how you do creature horror without outright hiding or obscuring the monster(s) for most of it.

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
Roguewolf Roguewolf

Here's a roster I made for DC Comics vs. Midway Arcade
DC Comics vs. Midway Arcade

DC Comics
Midway Arcade
Franchise
SupermanSatanSatan’s Hollow
BatmanSpy HunterSpy Hunter
Wonder WomanTapperTapper
The FlashGeorgeRampage
Green LanternLizzie
AquamanRalph
Martian ManhunterScorpionMortal Kombat
Green ArrowSub-Zero
Black CanaryRaiden
HawkgirlLiu Kang
ShazamSonya Blade
FirestormKano
ZatannaShang Tsung
NightwingDefenderDefender
CyborgOstrich KnightJoust
StarfireRobotron HeroRobotron: 2048
RavenSmash TV ProtagSmash TV
Beast BoyPaperboyPaperboy
Lex LuthorThor the WarriorGauntlet
DoomsdayMerlin the Wizard
LoboThyra the Valkyrie
The JokerQuestor the Elf
Harley QuinnBlizzardPrimal Rage
CatwomanDiablo
BaneKabuki JoeWar Gods
CheetahZipperheadBio F.R.E.A.K.S.
Gorilla GroddLord DeimosMace: The Dark Age
Captain ColdOne-EyeSkulls & Crossbones
SinestroDr. MutoDr. Muto
Black MantaAfro ThunderReady 2 Rumble Boxing
DeathstrokeTorqueThe Suffering
TerraNick ScryerPsi-Ops
DarkseidShaquille O’NealNBA Jam
Stage Only
  • Toobin’
  • Sinistar
  • Super Sprint
  • Bubbles
  • Klax
  • Rampart
  • Cyberball
  • CarnEvil
  • The Grid

Peepo T. Skeleton

Smash Lord
Exactly 9.7 inches away from your current location
Cyclops is a really good character who's basically a cracked out Shoto with good supers and great meter building. Dr. Doom has one of the best specials/assists with Molecular Shield and has strong mobility(though I'm pretty sure he's worse than MVC3 Doom, he's still good). Even if it's not a hyper competitive team, those two characters are well rounded enough to fit in most situations on their own, let alone together. Amingo is weird, but has high damage. Venom I think is a middle of the road character from what I remember, but lacks a solid anti-air, so having Cyke's Anti-Air Assist(Or Spider-Sting/Shoryuken) would do well for team synergy.

But B.B. Hood has an actual dunk super. So you'll have to figure out that yourself, but those are my suggestions. I was thinking Doom and Venom would be one of my teams, maybe with Magneto or something, team villain and all that. My main would be Spider-Man/Storm/Mega Man.
Thanks for the info!

Probably will end up having at least Cyke or Doom on my team just to have an anchor to work around.

I watched some clips of B.B. Hood's super and holy **** that thing might be one of the easiest ToDs I've ever seen in a fighting game.

TheMightyP

Smash Obsessed
Honestly, MVCI is an interesting case study to look at when it comes to fighting games. By all accounts the game was fun, but turns out nobody wants to play a fun fighting game when the entire roster is stripped into genericness

And also the game looked like a hire this man UE4 game but ignore that

Last edited:

Roguewolf

Smash Lord
Roguewolf Roguewolf

Here's a roster I made for DC Comics vs. Midway Arcade
DC Comics vs. Midway Arcade

DC Comics
Midway Arcade
Franchise
SupermanSatanSatan’s Hollow
BatmanSpy HunterSpy Hunter
Wonder WomanTapperTapper
The FlashGeorgeRampage
Green LanternLizzie
AquamanRalph
Martian ManhunterScorpionMortal Kombat
Green ArrowSub-Zero
Black CanaryRaiden
HawkgirlLiu Kang
ShazamSonya Blade
FirestormKano
ZatannaShang Tsung
NightwingDefenderDefender
CyborgOstrich KnightJoust
StarfireRobotron HeroRobotron: 2048
RavenSmash TV ProtagSmash TV
Beast BoyPaperboyPaperboy
Lex LuthorThor the WarriorGauntlet
DoomsdayMerlin the Wizard
LoboThyra the Valkyrie
The JokerQuestor the Elf
Harley QuinnBlizzardPrimal Rage
CatwomanDiablo
BaneKabuki JoeWar Gods
CheetahZipperheadBio F.R.E.A.K.S.
Gorilla GroddLord DeimosMace: The Dark Age
Captain ColdOne-EyeSkulls & Crossbones
SinestroDr. MutoDr. Muto
Black MantaAfro ThunderReady 2 Rumble Boxing
DeathstrokeTorqueThe Suffering
TerraNick ScryerPsi-Ops
DarkseidShaquille O’NealNBA Jam
Stage Only
  • Toobin’
  • Sinistar
  • Super Sprint
  • Bubbles
  • Klax
  • Rampart
  • Cyberball
  • CarnEvil
  • The Grid
George being right next to flash is genuis

genuinely really like all these choices
Black manga being my personal standout in your choices for dc stuff

but my god sometimes you want a game to be real just so you can dominate the paint with shaq
So it can finally be shaq’a’clock again

Shroob

Sup?
Honestly, MVCI is an interesting case study to look at when it comes to fighting games. By all accounts the game was fun, but turns out nobody wants to play a fun fighting game when the entire roster is stripped into genericness

I guess people just didn't gel well with all the game's.....Functions.

:nifty:

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed

Maybe I just have low standards but I just straight up don't understand why people think the game looks bad. And the roster, IMO, is a breath of fresh air compared to the X-Men Dominated games of the past.

TheMightyP

Smash Obsessed
Maybe I just have low standards but I just straight up don't understand why people think the game looks bad.
It looks better on release but it was super scuffed before then, even for beta standards
And the roster, IMO, is a breath of fresh air compared to the X-Men Dominated games of the past.
Quick, what is Marvel vs Capcom a sequel series too?

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
It looks better on release but it was super scuffed before then, even for beta standards

Quick, what is Marvel vs Capcom a sequel series too?
I hate that as an argument. I don't care about what game they made first. It's called MARVEL vs. CAPCOM. Not X-Men and Friends vs. Capcom. And Marvel is no longer dominated by X-Men the way it was in the 90s.

TheMightyP

Smash Obsessed
I hate that as an argument. I don't care about what game they made first. It's called MARVEL vs. CAPCOM. Not X-Men and Friends vs. Capcom. And Marvel is no longer dominated by X-Men the way it was in the 90s.
When the entire series is built off X-Men vs Street Fighter it is a very valid argument that removing the X-Men when they were half the foundation of the series was a bad idea.

It's like making a Smash game and removing 6 of the original 12. Nobody's gonna be ok with that.

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804
Maybe I just have low standards but I just straight up don't understand why people think the game looks bad. And the roster, IMO, is a breath of fresh air compared to the X-Men Dominated games of the past.
Because you have characters that look like this (and I'm not going to resort to Crackhead Dante or Chun-Li with the ****ed up face because they're too easy):

Substantially worse direction put into the supers
And stages that look utterly sterile and lifeless

Also the roster is just objectively worse because they cut too many characters with very few additions to make up for it. Also having no X-Men in MvC is an objectively bad thing, even worse when it's because of stupid corporate politics from a piece of **** that's assmad Marvel didn't have the film rights and specifically mandated that the X-Men be wrote out of as much of the comics as possible in order to screw them over and push the Inhumans that no one liked outside of Ms Marvel who was meant to be a mutant in the first place anyway.

Peepo T. Skeleton

Smash Lord
Exactly 9.7 inches away from your current location

Don't forget the part where they had several completely finished characters who even featured in the campaign that they held onto for several weeks and sold as DLC for 8$ a pop.

The devs did their best but the business side of Capcom and Marvel seemed like they were trying their damnedest to run it into the ground.

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804
Don't forget the part where they had several completely finished characters who even featured in the campaign that they held onto for several weeks and sold as DLC for 8$ a pop.

The devs did their best but the business side of Capcom and Marvel seemed like they were trying their damnedest to run it into the ground.
Reminder that one of those characters they held off as dlc was one of the main ****ing villains of the story even!

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
I've heard every argument about why MvCI sucks and I still disagree with all of them. Sure, maybe like... 5 x-men characters is ok if the roster is big, with more if it gets even bigger. But I care more about it representing ALL of Marvel instead of just mostly representing this one series that was really popular in the 90s. And people will just show me graphics they say are terrible and I just look at them with a blank stare because I just do not see what they're apparently seeing. If anything I think 3 looks bad because of all the thick black lines everywhere obscuring the character models.

Rant all you want. But I think the game looks great and would have had a really great roster if "fans" hadn't boycotted the thing because it didn't have their precious half-assed minority allegories (I really don't like the X-Men and think they're a terrible allegory for minority groups) and they had been allowed to actually do all the DLC and updates they wanted to do like what happened with Street Fighter V. But no. We didn't get that. And now people refuse to even call it the 4th game in the series (like it ****ing is) because they don't like it. So yeah.

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
...MvC3 had way less mutants than 2 already, and most of the characters in Infinite for that matter since reused assets.
3 still had nothing characters like X-23 and Sentinel (who was apparently added because FANS WANTED IT WHY!?!) and even outside the X-Men it's roster is still pretty weak. You have to cover the basics before you can do weird stuff like MODOK and Shuma-Gorrath. And I know the MCU was in it's infancy so a lot of the characters I perceive as important weren't as well recognized back then. But... I kinda don't care.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
The execs were looking at the complaints and were like "why are they mad? We already put in X, man".

plz laugh
TBH having X be one of the first characters revealed feels like a response to the backlash of MvC3's lack of any Blue Bomber. Guess if there's ever an MvC4 they'll have Wolverine be one of the first Marvel characters shown.

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
Honestly sometimes I wish Infinite just didn't have Capcom characters in it so it could actually be it's own thing and they could play more to what Disney wanted from the game. Yeah, people would still be complaining, but it would be because they wanted a new MvC and not a capcom developed Marvel game. And honestly I think the end product would have been better received.

Shroob

Sup?
I think the thing that irks me the most is that no, characters are not ****ing functions. Characters are characters.

People play characters for two reasons. Sure, one of them is because they like how they play.

But the other is because Wolverine is ****ing Wolverine.

Nova is not Magneto because he has an 8 way aerial dash. Magneto is Magneto and Nova is Nova.

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804
Like... it's one thing if you cut a bunch of X-Men, the drop from MvC2 to MvC3 was ****ing massive.
But dropping them entirely is completely ****ing moronic. And it didn't help that the PR at the time had their hands tied because they couldn't say "Ike Perlmutter is a ***** ass ************" because you don't do that with a company you work with and instead said a bunch of insanely dumb **** between the functions comment and people not recognising X-Men characters, ignore that Fox had a very solid string of X-Men movies going at the time including First Class, DoFP, Deadpool and two Wolverine solo movies and also Apocalypse I guess.

3 still had nothing characters like X-23 and Sentinel (who was apparently added because FANS WANTED IT WHY!?!) and even outside the X-Men it's roster is still pretty weak. You have to cover the basics before you can do weird stuff like MODOK and Shuma-Gorrath. And I know the MCU was in it's infancy so a lot of the characters I perceive as important weren't as well recognized back then. But... I kinda don't care.
Sentinel is massive to both X-Men in general and the MvC community. Calling that a nothing character is ignorant as hell.
The only stuff UMvC3 was sorely missing was Thanos, Venom, a Mega Man and Asura.

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804
TBH having X be one of the first characters revealed feels like a response to the backlash of MvC3's lack of any Blue Bomber. Guess if there's ever an MvC4 they'll have Wolverine be one of the first Marvel characters shown.
Nah they're gonna recreate the Cyclops and Ryu handshake, this is the Age of Cyclops

What do you mean!?! He just looks like a guy! I'm sorry to harp on this but it's like people have an anorexia like disorder where when they look at this game they see something way worse than what actually exists and it genuinely confuses and baffled me. He's just a guy!
He looks like they based him off of a Rob Liefeld drawing.

TheMightyP

Smash Obsessed
I've heard every argument about why MvCI sucks and I still disagree with all of them. Sure, maybe like... 5 x-men characters is ok if the roster is big, with more if it gets even bigger. But I care more about it representing ALL of Marvel instead of just mostly representing this one series that was really popular in the 90s. And people will just show me graphics they say are terrible and I just look at them with a blank stare because I just do not see what they're apparently seeing. If anything I think 3 looks bad because of all the thick black lines everywhere obscuring the character models.
I mean of we're being honest Infinite did a bad job at that too, it was all MCU characters except Venom, Ghost Rider, and Nova.
I think the thing that irks me the most is that no, characters are not ****ing functions. Characters are characters.

People play characters for two reasons. Sure, one of them is because they like how they play.

But the other is because Wolverine is ****ing Wolverine.

Nova is not Magneto because he has an 8 way aerial dash. Magneto is Magneto and Nova is Nova.
This is the reason why I like Smash so much.
For as much faults as it has, Sakurai and his teams understands that characters are characters and delivers them with as much respect to the source material as possible. And lowkey, it kinda feels like a lost art for some of these fighting game developers.

Also this convo makes me realize I will never see Ms. Marvel in an MvC game cause the series is dead. **** you Marvel and Capcom

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
Like... it's one thing if you cut a bunch of X-Men, the drop from MvC2 to MvC3 was ****ing massive.
But dropping them entirely is completely ing moronic. And it didn't help that the PR at the time had their hands tied because they couldn't say "Ike Perlmutter is a * ass ************" because you don't do that with a company you work with and instead said a bunch of insanely dumb **** between the functions comment and people not recognising X-Men characters, ignore that Fox had a very solid string of X-Men movies going at the time including First Class, DoFP, Deadpool and two Wolverine solo movies and also Apocalypse I guess.

Sentinel is massive to both X-Men in general and the MvC community. Calling that a nothing character is ignorant as hell.
The only stuff UMvC3 was sorely missing was Thanos, Venom, a Mega Man and Asura.
And Black Widow. And Ultron. And Namor. And the Fantastic Four. And like... any Guardian of the Galaxy besides Rocket. And like.. all of Spider-Man's rogues gallery (one of the most iconic comic book rogues galleries). And M. Bison. And Sigma. And Monster Hunter.

And don't get me started on C. Viper. Juri was right there guys!

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
I care more about it representing ALL of Marvel
(who was apparently added because FANS WANTED IT WHY!?!) and even outside the X-Men it's roster is still pretty weak. You have to cover the basics before you can do weird stuff
So do you want more representation of Marvel as a whole or do you only want their heavy hitters? Do you want the basics covered or do you want X Men, one of the most popular Marvel series from the 80's until the 2010's with Wolverine being part of Marvel's big 3 until the Iron Man movies made people give a **** about Tony Stark, wiped off the face of the earth?

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
Nah they're gonna recreate the Cyclops and Ryu handshake, this is the Age of Cyclops

He looks like they based him off of a Rob Liefeld drawing.
**** Cyclops. He just shoots lasers from his eyes. He's such a lame ass character.
I mean of we're being honest Infinite did a bad job at that too, it was all MCU characters except Venom, Ghost Rider, and Nova.

This is the reason why I like Smash so much.
For as much faults as it has, Sakurai and his teams understands that characters are characters and delivers them with as much respect to the source material as possible. And lowkey, it kinda feels like a lost art for some of these fighting game developers.

Also this convo makes me realize I will never see Ms. Marvel in an MvC game cause the series is dead. **** you Marvel and Capcom
Except the MCU is a collection of multiple character franchises. All who stand alone in their own titles. Sure, they intersect in the Avengers but they all have their own home series to go back to. Unlike the X-Men who all spawned from the same title and share their own corner of the universe. Yes they get spinoff titles but they're still "that character from X-Men", instead of a character from their own series joining up with a bunch of characters from a bunch of other series.

it's not "all MCU characters". It's Iron Man characters. And Thor characters. And Hulk Characters. And Captain America characters. And Spider-Man characters. And Guardians of the Galaxy characters. etc. It's different.

TheMightyP

Smash Obsessed
Except the MCU is a collection of multiple character franchises. All who stand alone in their own titles. Sure, they intersect in the Avengers but they all have their own home series to go back to. Unlike the X-Men who all spawned from the same title and share their own corner of the universe. Yes they get spinoff titles but they're still "that character from X-Men", instead of a character from their own series joining up with a bunch of characters from a bunch of other series.

it's not "all MCU characters". It's Iron Man characters. And Thor characters. And Hulk Characters. And Captain America characters. And Spider-Man characters. And Guardians of the Galaxy characters. etc. It's different.
Yeah you're right, good thing they didn't make them all generic so they could fit in with the MCU versions... oh wait

**** Cyclops. He just shoots lasers from his eyes. He's such a lame ass character.
Now eat this ratio
45lqhp0d3xr71.jpg

Top Bottom