• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social The Social Thread 3.2.1

When do you expect a Switch Successor announcement?

• Total voters

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
So do you want more representation of Marvel as a whole or do you only want their heavy hitters? Do you want the basics covered or do you want X Men, one of the most popular Marvel series from the 80's until the 2010's with Wolverine being part of Marvel's big 3 until the Iron Man movies made people give a **** about Tony Stark, wiped off the face of the earth?
Like I said. In a 50+ character roster (that has characters from both Marvel AND Capcom remember) you can get away with like... 6. But in a smaller roster, like Infinite's base game, you really only should do like... Wolverine and Magneto and that's it. Maybe Deadpool too. Then when the roster gets bigger you can start doing more X-Men characters. Just like you can start doing more side characters from every other Marvel series. ANd of course the rules are different if the game is ALL Marvel because then you can get to using more side-characters earlier.

Peepo T. Skeleton

Smash Lord
Exactly 9.7 inches away from your current location
What do you mean!?! He just looks like a guy! I'm sorry to harp on this but it's like people have an anorexia like disorder where when they look at this game they see something way worse than what actually exists and it genuinely confuses and baffled me. He's just a guy!
He looks like a guy... Dressed like an insect.
EnxFG6cWEAYvi4m.png

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
Yeah you're right, good thing they didn't make them all generic so they could fit in with the MCU versions... oh wait
They look like that in the comics now too! It's just what they look like now. Iron Man, Captain America. Hulk. Hawkeye. They all inherited their movie designs into comics like... as soon as the movies took off. Not to mention Dr. Strange and Spider-Man basically having their classic comic designs despite their MCU looks being established at that time and looking quite different from their comic counterparts. Captain Marvel's costume also looks pretty different from her film design too (but that wasn't revealed yet so they get a pass).

Also when was the last time you saw Thor wearing that goofy ass helmet in the movies?

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
SW-6660-1506-8804
And Black Widow. And Ultron. And Namor. And the Fantastic Four. And like... any Guardian of the Galaxy besides Rocket. And like.. all of Spider-Man's rogues gallery (one of the most iconic comic book rogues galleries). And M. Bison. And Sigma. And Monster Hunter.

And don't get me started on C. Viper. Juri was right there guys!
No one cared about Widow until Avengers.
Ultron wasn't a glaring omission at the time.
No one cared about Namor much
They went for the Fantastic Four but Super Skrull was a compromise on roster slots.
No one knew who the Guardians were in 2011, people were like "Who the **** is Rocket Raccoon?!"
Doc Ock and Venom were gonna be in but there was difficulties.
I can grant Bison but no one cared to raise much of a stink.
No one cared about Sigma when there wasn't a playable Mega Man.
They tried for MH, that's entirely on the MH team at the time saying no.
Juri was made too late to be in UMvC3 and C Viper is better anyway.

A lot of this is known info. It's not for a lack of trying with some of these characters and others they simply weren't big enough deals for people to get pressed about at the time.

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
No one cared about Widow until Avengers.
Ultron wasn't a glaring omission at the time.
No one cared about Namor much
They went for the Fantastic Four but Super Skrull was a compromise on roster slots.
No one knew who the Guardians were in 2011, people were like "Who the **** is Rocket Raccoon?!"
Doc Ock and Venom were gonna be in but there was difficulties.
I can grant Bison but no one cared to raise much of a stink.
No one cared about Sigma when there wasn't a playable Mega Man.
They tried for MH, that's entirely on the MH team at the time saying no.
Juri was made too late to be in UMvC3 and C Viper is better anyway.

A lot of this is known info. It's not for a lack of trying with some of these characters and others they simply weren't big enough deals for people to get pressed about at the time.
I don't really care if they have excuses. People don't care about the excuses that explain Infinite's roster. So why should I care about any of that? The roster could have and should have been way better.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Like I said. In a 50+ character roster (that has characters from both Marvel AND Capcom remember) you can get away with like... 6. But in a smaller roster, like Infinite's base game, you really only should do like... Wolverine and Magneto and that's it. Maybe Deadpool too. Then when the roster gets bigger you can start doing more X-Men characters. Just like you can start doing more side characters from every other Marvel series. ANd of course the rules are different if the game is ALL Marvel because then you can get to using more side-characters earlier.
If 6 X-Men are acceptable for a 50 or more roster why is 5 in a 48 roster so unacceptable to the point you're screaming at people online? You're just being willfully ignorant, it's not like they prioritized Marrow or added in Toad, they did Storm, Wolverine and Mag ****ing Neto, fan fave Sentinel and X-23. You're also still saying weird nonsense about how the biggest faces are more important yet arguing against Marvel's biggest faces

TheMightyP

Smash Obsessed
They look like that in the comics now too! It's just what they look like now. Iron Man, Captain America. Hulk. Hawkeye. They all inherited their movie designs into comics like... as soon as the movies took off. Not to mention Dr. Strange and Spider-Man basically having their classic comic designs despite their MCU looks being established at that time and looking quite different from their comic counterparts. Captain Marvel's costume also looks pretty different from her film design too (but that wasn't revealed yet so they get a pass).

Also when was the last time you saw Thor wearing that goofy ass helmet in the movies?
I mean beyond the aesthetics, why were they stripped away from their personality for more generic one-liners? Why are the moves and specials so sanitized? Why did they get rid of their iconic themes for generic orchestral tracks?

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
If 6 X-Men are acceptable for a 50 or more roster why is 5 in a 48 roster so unacceptable to the point you're screaming at people online? You're just being willfully ignorant, it's not like they prioritized Marrow or added in Toad, they did Storm, Wolverine and Mag ****ing Neto, fan fave Sentinel and X-23. You're also still saying weird nonsense about how the biggest faces are more important yet arguing against Marvel's biggest faces
Marvel's FORMER biggest face.

Beyond that... you actually have a point. Though I don't understand why Sentinel and X-23 are fan favorites.

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
SW-6660-1506-8804
I don't really care if they have excuses. People don't care about the excuses that explain Infinite's roster. So why should I care about any of that? The roster could have and should have been way better.
Because there's a major difference between development issues and one dev team going "no" to their character and a whole ass company having a company wide meltdown over film rights and actively ****ing over massively iconic characters.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Marvel's FORMER biggest face.

Beyond that... you actually have a point. Though I don't understand why Sentinel and X-23 are fan favorites.
They've been bigger than anyone other than Hulk who the MCU refuses to give movies and Spiderman who's been their mascot since the 60's. The MCU was like, late 2000's and thus not one of the most profitable movie series when MvC3 was being made and oh, X-Men was still getting a buttload of movies at the time

Sentinel is pretty much MvC's Captain Falcon, someone who's purely defined by their role in this spinoff series and is beloved for it. Not a comic expert but Laura was real ****ing good in Logan, she was in X-Men 2 and I believe she's currently the actual Wolverine in the comics, people like her

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
SW-6660-1506-8804
I mean beyond the aesthetics, why were they stripped away from their personality for more generic one-liners? Why are the moves and specials so sanitized? Why did they get rid of their iconic themes for generic orchestral tracks?
Even the voice acting was worse.
Iron Man has the same VA as in 3 but the work in Infinite is worse because instead of having him keep up with his own thing he's being told to imitate RDJ.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Even the voice acting was worse.
Iron Man has the same VA as in 3 but the work in Infinite is worse because instead of having him keep up with his own thing he's being told to imitate RDJ.
My favourite example of this is Dormammu, a buttery smooth voice that sounds incredibly confident and hot to raspy unpleasantness screaming in my ear

D

Deleted member

Welp, haven't been able to sleep for reasons which surpass me (seriously, idk why I can't do so at the moment, I just am not able to).

Do ya'll have any tips to help me get comfy enough for that? Maybe a warm/cold shower?
Also did I just see Cyclops slander on this chat? In a post X-Men 97 world? Damn

Last edited by a moderator:

TheMightyP

Smash Obsessed
Feels like this discussion would have been easier to just say you're not that big on Xmen instead of beating around the bush soo much.
I am honestly curious, what would the Smash equivalent be to this? Like I said it was like cutting 6 of the Original 12, but lowkey I think it'd be like if they just cut every Pokemon.

Or cut every FE character but idk if that'll get Smash fans fuming like that.

Shroob

Sup?
I am honestly curious, what would the Smash equivalent be to this? Like I said it was like cutting 6 of the Original 12, but lowkey I think it'd be like if they just cut every Pokemon.

Or cut every FE character but idk if that'll get Smash fans fuming like that.
Cutting Captain Falcon because Falcon Punch is just a charged B function.

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
Decided to throw my hat in the ring with an MvC roster @Jotadé @Speed Weed Roguewolf Roguewolf
View attachment 391545
There were two capcom characters I wanted that weren't on the (otherwise very comprehensive) tier list maker sight. Those being Herlock Sholmes and the protagonist from Monster Hunter Stories with Ratha. So yeah... slot them in next to the other characters from their franchise.

Also I WANTED Zero from Mega Man Zero instead of X and for the Monster Hunter to be updated to reflect Monster Hunter Rise (or I guess that new MH that was just announced. I already forget what it's called) but again, they did not have pictures in the tier maker.
I just realized I forgot Dr. Doom. Switch Mr. Sinister out for him.

Roguewolf

Smash Lord
Welp, haven't been able to sleep for reasons which surpass me (seriously, idk why I can't do so at the moment, I just am not able to).

Do ya'll have any tips to help me get comfy enough for that? Maybe a warm/cold shower?
Also did I just see Cyclops slander on this chat? In a post X-Men 97 world? Damn
Staying up and going down rabbit holes about various kinds of lemurs or some **** at the detriment of your own health, at least that’s what I do

speaking of did you know aye-aye’s use a distinct method of food gathering called percussive foraging where they tab on the base of a tree trunk to suss out where the insects they hunt are within the tree

with the power of sleep deprivation you too could know this and many other useless facts

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Ok. Fine. The game I like is stupy dum dum and we should all worship the ****ing X-Men. Happy?
This is part of the problem, why can you not simply be ok with people liking different things than you? Lay off the ragebait youtubers or whatever it is that's telling you it's ok to throw a fit at differing opinions, it's not an attack on you personally

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
SW-6660-1506-8804
Listen if we really had to live through Disney's hissyfit over not having the movie rights to X-men and The Fantastic Four. Disney could have at least attempted to put the Inhumans in MvC

Lockjaw could have saved MVC:I
POV, you got hit by Black Bolt's Level 3:

D

Deleted member

Genuiely would love to bring my two cents to the whole convo, although It seems the main people talking are Schnee117 Schnee117 who has... A very unpredictable attitude towards me (maybe It depends on how their day is going, idk) and TheMightyP TheMightyP who may or may not want to bother with whatever I post for probably fair reasons.

But yeah, for those who care I do think that the amount of X-Men characters pre-Infinity is kinda justified because... Well, the whole series started because of a X-Men fighting game (and also a Punisher game, but that one was more obscure until recently). Would I add more Avengers, Street level, modern and out of nowhere characters to balance It out? Sure, because I do think that there's a lot to take from with the rogues gallery of people such as Spider-Man or the cosmic side of Marvel.

Also, I say this again, but are we seriously doing Cyclops slander? It was tiresome back when the FoX-Men movies were a thing, and It should have died off after X-Men 97 showed the true potential of the character. Just look at this scene, It goes hard:
Staying up and going down rabbit holes about various kinds of lemurs or some **** at the detriment of your own health, at least that’s what I do

speaking of did you know aye-aye’s use a distinct method of food gathering called percussive foraging where they tab on the base of a tree trunk to suss out where the insects they hunt are within the tree

with the power of sleep deprivation you too could know this and many other useless facts
Oh wow, those aye-ayes sound very cool.

But yeah, I appreciate the support. Although I think I'll go with the option of the shower.

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
I was today years old when I learned that Smash Ultimate has an online mode dedicated to having amiibos train one another

D

Deleted member

I was today years old when I learned that Smash Ultimate has an online mode dedicated to having amiibos train one another
I think that's the one they added this year alongside the new spirits and the Sora amiibo, yes.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Genuiely would love to bring my two cents to the whole convo, although It seems the main people talking are Schnee117 Schnee117 Schnee117 Schnee117 who has... A very unpredictable attitude towards me (maybe It depends on how their day is going, idk) and TheMightyP TheMightyP TheMightyP TheMightyP who may or may not want to bother with whatever I post for probably fair reasons.
This isn't a healthy mindset Jotadé, nobody has it out for you, you're being paranoid, why even tag people to say you're insecure about how they feel? That's just gonna make you feel worse no matter what they do

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
This is part of the problem, why can you not simply be ok with people liking different things than you? Lay off the ragebait youtubers or whatever it is that's telling you it's ok to throw a fit at differing opinions, it's not an attack on you personally
I don't watch ragebate youtubers. I watch TomSka, Philosophy Tube, ERB, and Rhett and Link.

I just... I don't know... you're right. Childhood trauma is no excuse to act this way.

D

Deleted member

This isn't a healthy mindset Jotadé, nobody has it out for you, you're being paranoid, why even tag people to say you're insecure about how they feel? That's just gonna make you feel worse no matter what they do
Yeah, maybe It is my autism and ADHD pushing me to do It or just social anxiety, but I have this tendency of saying everything I think out loud (basically like Spider-Man does in the 90s cartoon whenever he was swinging around).

It's like... A feeling of wanting people know my full honesty regarding any kind of thing. A matter of trust where maybe if I say everything I think out loud people won't be suspecting I am thinking weird stuff or any random thing.

It is something I need to work out, because I know really well that not talking can sometimes do more than saying everything you think on every situation.

Top Bottom