• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social The Social Thread 3.2.1

Favorite announcement of this Direct?

• Total voters

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
Why? Why can’t people have the option to explore if they wish?

The fun thing about all those side areas and hidden caves in the older games is that were optional. If you wanted to you could blast straight through. Hell, you could theoretically do that in Scarlet/Violet, there’s still an implied linear progression structure.

Why can’t the people who want a world to discover have that, while those who don’t want to can just ignore it?
Because if it's there I can't stop myself from doing it. I think it's important and then it's not and I just feel like I wasted my time.

Jondolio

Smash Hero
Sword and Shield made me question whether or not I still enjoy Pokémon as an adult after playing the **** out of all the previous games during my teenage years. It's such a barebones experience that I had to play it again but slower to trick myself into thinking that I like it.

Nearly 5 years later I can confidently say that yes, I still do enjoy Pokémon. Legends Arceus is one of my favorite games of all time and for all of their faults, Scarlet and Violet clearly had a lot of passion poured into them.

Sword and Shield is just ass, it's such a nothing experience of a Pokémon game, the way it's designed does not make sense on home consoles and is still bad when you compare it to the other handheld games. It really highlighted how the series needed to evolve and unless you're an insane completionist like me it's a completely disposable entry now that PLA and SV exist

Noipoi

Howdy!
Because if it's there I can't stop myself from doing it. I think it's important and then it's not and I just feel like I wasted my time.
Well that really just sounds like a you problem, dude. I’m sure other people who don’t want to do the side stuff can just not do it

I’m not gonna say you’re wrong for liking linear Pokemon games, no matter how much I like insulting you. But I heavily disagree with the notion that all sense of exploration should be removed because you don’t like it, especially because that’s what I and so many others love about the franchise.

Maybe the inevitable Black and White remakes will stick true to the route design, and you can have a grand old time with that.

We’ll see :drshrug:

Last edited:

TheMightyP

Smash Obsessed
SwSh, Let's Go, BDSP, Arceus, and a little bit of XY ans FRLG
Ok, so based on what you said:
  • Pokemon Emerald if you want classic Pokemon before it went full competitive. Route design is strong, solid story, soundtrack is a banger 🎺🎺🎺. Also has a cute girl in a suit.
  • ORAS is great if you want that in a more modern fashion, with big time QOL features that makes the game much smoother overall. But no cute girl in a suit
  • Many consider Platinum to be the best of "Classic" Pokemon, and it is a very solid entry. Now you did play BDSP but for whatever reason that game just ignored Plat despite Plat being the better game than DP.
  • Gen 5 as a whole. Linear, yet really good with the level design, amazing visuals amd soundtrack, and QOL features all make it what many consider the first entry of "modern" Pokemon.
  • Gen 7 as a whole. It's probably the most linear of the pre-HD era but it's arguably the most solid. Big issue is the game does not have a skip cutscene button when it REALLY needs one.
Oh also there's HGSS but don't be fooled the only people who like that are 30 year olds who deluded themselves into thinking Gen 2 was the best.

Last edited:

Shroob

Sup?
  • Pokemon Emerald if you want classic Pokemon before it went full competitive. Route design is strong, solid story, soundtrack is a banger 🎺🎺🎺. Also has a cute girl in a suit.
  • ORAS is great if you want that in a more modern fashion, with big time QOL features that makes the game much smoother overall. But no cute girl in a suit
  • Many consider Platinum to be the best of "Classic" Pokemon, and it is a very solid entry. Now you did play BDSP but for whatever reason that game just ignored Plat despite Plat being the better game than DP.
  • Gen 5 as a whole. Linear, yet really good with the level design, amazing visuals amd soundtrack, and QOL features all make it what many consider the first entry of "modern" Pokemon.
  • Gen 7 as a whole. It's probably the most linear of the pre-HD era but it's arguably the most solid. Big issue is the game does not have a skip cutscene button when it REALLY needs one.
Oh also there's HGSS but don't be fooled the only people who like that are 30 year olds who deluded themselves into thinking Gen 2 was the best.
Haha, good thing there's noone here like that.

1716865875707.png

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
I'm gonna play most of the old games. Just disappointed the new ones won't be as enjoyable for me.

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
Sword and Shield are fine.

It just needed a much better map and a serious rewrite of it's story (the actual base for the storyline with the Darkest Day and Galar's history is solid; the issues stem from the adult Trainers refusing to let the main characters in on the action until late in the game and rarely telling them anything important and Rose's plan making no freaking sense).

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
Oh yeah page 2002. I was borm that year or something.

And so was Mario Sunshine, Wind Waker, Kingdom Hearts, and more goated things because the gods had to bless me when I came into this world.
I forgot that Kingdom Hearts released in the same years as those games what the-

Okay, 2001 and 2002 were insanely good years for games. I hadn't even started playing video games yet at that point in time lmao.

Last edited:

Noipoi

Howdy!
Yeah, they released those games in our birth years so we can ignore the fact that we'll be wallowing in student debt and unable to afford a house until we hit like 70.

But but... Sora said "My friends are my power!" and those words makes life worth it
It’s not being a basement dweller if the economy is so ****ed you literally can’t leave your parent’s house
:4pacman:

Last edited:

TheMightyP

Smash Obsessed
Okay hearing about how y'all were literal babies in the early 2000's is actually giving me the worst case of psychic damage imaginable lmfao
I mean 32 going on 33 isn't old at all, you got a lot of your best years ahead of you.

SHOCKER: I'm actually genuine here and not throwing a curveball in the spoilers. Did you think I was? You totally did, didn't you.

Shroob

Sup?
I still remember when the internet meant the landline phone was unavailable until the person on the net got off.

I remember the very first episode of the Pokemon anime I ever saw(It was the Metapod versus Metapod episode).

Though I think I'll never forget the day I got my first copy of Pokemon, Red. Sleeping on the family's couch bed, only to wake up and see the brand new box sitting atop the living room's china cabinet.

Jondolio

Smash Hero
I still remember when the internet meant the landline phone was unavailable until the person on the net got off.

I remember the very first episode of the Pokemon anime I ever saw(It was the Metapod versus Metapod episode).

Though I think I'll never forget the day I got my first copy of Pokemon, Red. Sleeping on the family's couch bed, only to wake up and see the brand new box sitting atop the living room's china cabinet.
Sure grandpa, let's get you home

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
The earliest memories I have are probably from 1999 or 2000, and those are memories of like two or three separate dreams I had, and playing with a toy castle set with my great grandmother while she was babysitting me.

Other memories I still have from the time include time I spent with relatives, being stuck watching news stations while construction was going on at my family's house, and my first ever Disneyland trip.

I didn't know that video games existed until like 2003, at which point I saw a commercial for Spongebob Squarepants: Battle for Bikini Bottom and asked for it along with a Gamecube because I'd never seen anything like it before and wanted to try it.

My mother later got them both for me for Christmas that year along with some other Gamecube games, and that was how I was introduced to the Legend of Zelda and Pac-Man, the former of which in particular went on to become my favorite video game series ever.

Last edited:

Jondolio

Smash Hero
Everyone seems to have childhood gaming memories and I really envy that

My childhood games were mostly Mario and Sonic Flash games and my first home console was the Wii U, which is probably why I have so many issues these days

Shroob

Sup?
Everyone seems to have childhood gaming memories and I really envy that

My childhood games were mostly Mario and Sonic Flash games and my first home console was the Wii U, which is probably why I have so many issues these days
The stories I could tell of having unrestricted internet access as a young teen and finding Newgrounds.

TheMightyP

Smash Obsessed
I can't really say much about the 2000s like that given that I didn't have a concious until like 2008ish, but I can say I remember the exact moment I realized 90s-00s tech was going out of date in favor for the smartphone era.

It was a day at my moms job, she works with kids and every time, over the summer I'd do the summer program with my siblings and I made a lot of friends there. Well anyways, one day I came in and a bunch of kids were just crowded around this one guy. He had some device in his hand that was just so cool to everyone, I mean we stopped playing Mario Kart DS and Smash Bros Melee for this exciting new handheld. So mysterious, so elegant, so sleek.

That device was the iPod Touch.

Some other fond memories were made there too. toddlers and preschoolers had their nao times in the other rooms, we gathered around and just played Mario Kart DS together and quitely, one dude decided to bring in his action replay and cheat and we subsequently banned him until he stopped (which lasted 1 game). Other days, we just pictochat'd as our way of communicating while silent. And when the toddlers were awake, it was Melee, Jak and Daxter, or and MLB game on the PS2. Or, on occasion, a game with a key slinging teen and Donald and Goofy and...

God I miss those days so much. Life was so sweet.

Last edited:
Top Bottom