• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social The Social Thread 3.2.1

Favorite announcement of this Direct?

• Total voters

Dukefire

Smash Master
For the TTYD, I'm going to face hooktail soon. I just want to ask, which stat is better to strength more? While it is personal preference, I just want to hear out.

Currrently:
HP: 15
FP: 10
BP: 6

Lamperouge

Drifting Soul
For the TTYD, I'm going to face hooktail soon. I just want to ask, which stat is better to strength more? While it is personal preference, I just want to hear out.

Currrently:
HP: 15
FP: 10
BP: 6
Definitely make sure to dump plenty into BP because that lets you use all the cool **** and makes battles more enjoyable.

Shroob

Sup?
Paper Mario is a weird RPG case where you actually don't want to increase your HP, since Danger/Peril strats are soo ungodly overpowered in both games.

Shroob

Sup?
Worse if you are planning to dive into the Pit of 100 Trials.
Honestly, the thing is, if you do Danger/Peril strats, you kinda don't need to worry about anything, since you just one tap everything. It's THAT broken of a strategy.

Only real issue is one of the new super secret bosses they added.

SneakyLink

NNID
bne9635
Switch FC
SW-6259-3694-6593
Wait I missed page 2,000?!

Was too busy playing the Switch version of Thousand Year Door to the point where I redid the Glitz Pit before going to Chapter 5.

I would not recommend it unless you want the Champ's Belt in your inventory.

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
Danger Mario is too much of a risk for non-expert players, imo.

I've seen the strat in action, but unless you're extremely good at timing both hits and superguard on stronger enemies, you're in still in major trouble as getting attacked once or twice by late game enemies and bosses is pretty much a guaranteed game over.

Having a lot of BP is still hyper important, though.

Last edited:

TheMightyP

Smash Obsessed
Danger Mario is too much of a risk for non-expert players, imo.

I've seen the strat in action, but unless you're extremely good at timing both hits and superguard on stronger enemies, you're in still in major trouble as getting attacked once or twice by late game enemies and bosses is pretty much a guaranteed game over.

Having a lot of BP is still hyper important, though.
Even without Danger Mario, all the cool attacks are locked behind BP and/or FP so HP kinda falls off the wayside. Some badges are straight up mandatory to improve the game, like I don't think I ever took Quick Swap off the moment I got it and iirc it takes 7 BP. (OG version, idk if they changed it)

Last edited:

TheMightyP

Smash Obsessed
I haven’t superguarded at all since the tutorial.

That’ll probably bite me in the ass by the end of the game.
Nah, for the regular game it's a suggestion. It's mandatory for challenge runs and the Pit where enemies do like 9 damage a pop and there are 4 each battle.

That said, when you get her, get ready to learn Vivianese late game.

Last edited:

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
To this day I still wonder how Super Paper Mario would have been received if it kept The Thousand Year Door's battle system (turn-based, stage and audience, remixes of the battle theme and all) while also still having the exact same story as the final game.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
To this day I still wonder how Super Paper Mario would have been received if it kept The Thousand Year Door's battle system (turn-based, stage and audience, remixes of the battle theme and all) while also still having the exact same story as the final game.
I actually thought a platformer with Paper Mario's visuals and the 2D-3D shifting were interesting ideas in 2007.

Little did I know we'd never get another classic PM again.

Noipoi

Howdy!
I’m a SPM defender but if that game had the exact same story with TTYD’s gameplay and artstyle they would’ve been singing it’s praises from the rooftops

TheMightyP

Smash Obsessed
It probably would be my favorite if that was the case, Imo the Castlevania platformer RPG system doesn't mesh well with standard Mario gameplay.

Side note, anyone else disappointed there wasn't a boss fight aginst Nastasia. She did something to Luigi, he left for half the story and ended up in hell, so she probably killed him. I wanted to fight her for killing Luigi

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
My preffered AU is the one where it still released on the GameCube and people properly recognized it as a spinoff instead of the next mainline entry.

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
I was Sword and Shield’s greatest defender when they were coming out but once the games hit I couldn’t deny the truth anymore.

I was seconds away from taking a step away from the franchise. I’d never be able to fully part with it, but if they were gonna keep putting out games like SwSh I didn’t know if I wanted to play them. Then they announced Legends Arceus.

It’s like they knew
I still have yet to buy and play ScarViol. But I had a lot of fun with SwSh. Still hope we get another linear Pokemon game in the future.

Noipoi

Howdy!
I still have yet to buy and play ScarViol. But I had a lot of fun with SwSh. Still hope we get another linear Pokemon game in the future.
Yeah dude I sure would love another round of

Small corridor -> town comprised of hallways -> small corridor -> town comprised of hallways -> one mildly open patch of grass in the middle -> more corridors and hallways

For an entire 30 hour game while I watch a nonsense story play out and and feel the pain of the 60$ I just blew. Sounds great.

Last edited:

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
Yeah dude I sure would love another round of

Small corridor -> town comprised of hallways -> small corridor -> town comprised of hallways -> one mildly open patch of grass in the middle -> more corridors and hallways

For an entire 30 hour game while I watch a nonsense story play out and and feel the pain of the 60$ I just blew. Sounds great.
I play the game to catch and battle pokemon. Not to run around an open field and look for things.

Noipoi

Howdy!
I play the game to catch and battle pokemon. Not to run around an open field and look for things.
I play the game to immerse myself in the world of Pokemon and feel like I’m exploring a vast landscape with my magical friends by my side. Catching and battling is very important to that experience, but it rings hollow if the world I’m in feels phony. Sword and Shield did a poor job of selling me on the world, it was an unrewarding game to work my way through.

I want to travel through forests and mountains and see wild Pokémon in the wilderness and choose how to proceed. Which is why I’m stoked that Legends and open world exploration seems to be the future of the franchise.

Last edited:

Shroob

Sup?
I mean, me too. But as someone who's played SwSd several times through to get a handful of Pokemon for SV, it's painfully obvious how the game is just

Not good

Which is sad because I never really felt this way in other games before which were just as linear. SwSd just kinda pooped the bed in its level design.

Noipoi

Howdy!
See I don’t even think the older Pokemon games were all that linear. Not to the same degree as Swishy was.

In the story and the way you got the badges, sure. But there was a lot of backtracking through familiar areas, you could explore and find different things depending on what HMs you had, there were secrets and stuff like that. It felt very fulfilling, like there was this great big world out there and I was uncovering every bit of it.

Which is the feeling I wasn’t getting from Gen 8, a feeling I got back in PLA, and while Gen 9 isn’t perfect I could tell they were trying. Here’s hoping Z-A follows through.

Shroob

Sup?
See I don’t even think the older Pokemon games were all that linear. Not to the same degree as Swishy was.

In the story and the way you got the badges, sure. But there was a lot of backtracking through familiar areas, you could explore and find different things depending on what HMs you had, there were secrets and stuff like that. It felt very fulfilling, like there was this great big world out there and I was uncovering every bit of it.

Which is the feeling I wasn’t getting from Gen 8, a feeling I got back in PLA, and while Gen 9 isn’t perfect I could tell they were trying. Here’s hoping Z-A follows through.
Gwimbly Voice

I'm gonna say what no one else is willing to say

Gen 3 and Gen 5 have the best route designs in the whole series.

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
I’m a SPM defender but if that game had the exact same story with TTYD’s gameplay and artstyle they would’ve been singing it’s praises from the rooftops
It probably would be my favorite if that was the case, Imo the Castlevania platformer RPG system doesn't mesh well with standard Mario gameplay.

Side note, anyone else disappointed there wasn't a boss fight aginst Nastasia. She did something to Luigi, he left for half the story and ended up in hell, so she probably killed him. I wanted to fight her for killing Luigi
Honestly TTYD's battle system and the stage environment and mechanics were perfect for the series. If they brought it back in Super Paper Mario in that exact same form, just with some new mechanics and new quality of life features, I also think there's a good chance it would have been praised as the masterpiece of the franchise.

The only other thing I think it really needed was either the Pixls having more dialogue and character, or having them serve as power-ups that could talk while bringing in new Partner characters more similar to the ones from the first two games. Tippi was great and the Pixls were fun whenever you first spoke to them, but after they join your party, virtually none of them besides Tippi and Tiptron talk ever again for some reason, and while it was the first game I played in the series, after playing TTYD and the original Paper Mario, I can honestly say the partner characters with more original designs, variety of abilities and far more fleshed out personalities and character arcs are much better and something Super would be sorely missing even if it kept TTYD's combat gameplay.

That, and I kinda wish they didn't cutall of SPM's planned cameos from the first two game's Partners as I would've loved to talk to Goombella, Vivian, Koops, Goombario, Lady Bow, Parakarry, Bombette and Admiral Bobbery among others again.

Last edited:

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
I play the game to immerse myself in the world of Pokemon and feel like I’m exploring a vast landscape with my magical friends by my side. Catching and battling is very important to that experience, but it rings hollow if the world I’m in feels phony. Sword and Shield did a poor job of selling me on the world, it was an unrewarding game to work my way through.

I want to travel through forests and mountains and see wild Pokémon in the wilderness and choose how to proceed. Which is why I’m stoked that Legends and open world exploration seems to be the future of the franchise.
Eh. Most of that stuff doesn't really matter to me, and open worlds just.. i don't enjoy them. I should be allowed to have pokemon games I like too.

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed

Yeah but the routes were still routes and not just open fields.

See, I don't just need the ability to go from objective to objective in a linear fashion, I need it to be the only option.

Noipoi

Howdy!
The only other thing I think it really needed was either the Pixls having more dialogue and character, or having them serve as power-ups that could talk while bringing in new Partner characters more similar to the ones from the first two games. Tippi was great and the Pixls were fun whenever you first spoke to them, but after they join your party, virtually none of them besides Tippi and Tiptron talk ever again for some reason, and while it was the first game I played in the series, after playing TTYD and the original Paper Mario, I can honestly say the partner characters with more original designs, variety of abilities and far more fleshed out personalities and character arcs are much better and something Super would be sorely missing even if it kept TTYD's combat gameplay.
I love the partners and we desperately need more. But if the game was going for the whole Mario, Luigi, Peach and Bowser quartet, along with Tippi, I don’t entirely mind partners taking a backseat for one game. The Pixls were fine as a one-off kinda thing.

Of course, this is under the assumption that they’d be back by the next game and the entire series wouldn’t be uprooted. But that’s wildly unrealistic :nifty:

Noipoi

Howdy!
Yeah but the routes were still routes and not just open fields.

See, I don't just need the ability to go from objective to objective in a linear fashion, I need it to be the only option.
Why? Why can’t people have the option to explore if they wish?

The fun thing about all those side areas and hidden caves in the older games is that were optional. If you wanted to you could blast straight through. Hell, you could theoretically do that in Scarlet/Violet, there’s still an implied linear progression structure.

Why can’t the people who want a world to discover have that, while those who don’t want to can just ignore it?

Top Bottom