• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social The Social Thread 3.2.1

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
I'm going to fistfight whoever was responsible for the cave generation

They also removed Ai no Uta, an iconic Pikmin song that the Pikmin occasionally sing because the license deal expired which is a shame because I love that song, but otherwise it's still a functional version of Pikmin 2. Problem is, it's Pikmin 2
Pikmin 2's Caves and their mechanics are very subjective.

I personally really liked since it adds to the game's variety and challenge and gives the player more areas to explore + more enemies to fight. And glitches with generation and treasure placement are so rare that needing to reset once for it isn't a major issue, imo.

On the other hand, I get why some people dislike the constant and high amount of changes on cave floors between resets or later visits and playthroughs as it can make solving puzzles or planning out strategies more difficult since level layouts and object placements are very rarely consistent outside of the few cases where they're pre-programmed to always be the same.

To each their own, but I was ecstatic when Caves returned in 4.

Yellow Pikmin in 1 are kinda, braindead.

They take a LOT longer to throw bombrocks, and in the Emperor Bulblax fight, it's extremely hard to go deathless due to it.

That, and the fight's actually harder since it's stunned for less time if it eats a Pikmin and Bomb Rock at the same time.
Yellows in general are kind of odd since their mechanics change in almost every game they're in.

I think they were at their best in 2, though, since they were immune to an instant death hazard and it was also the game that introduced their ability to conduct electricity safely and thus their immunity to it as a hazard. But 3 introducing electricity puzzles was also a welcome addition, even if electricity as a hazard was hard nerfed.

Shroob

Sup?

I personally really liked since it adds to the game's variety and challenge and gives the player more areas to explore + more enemies to fight. And glitches with generation and treasure placement are so rare that needing to reset once for it isn't a major issue, imo.

On the other hand, I get why some people dislike the constant and high amount of changes on cave floors between resets or later visits and playthroughs as it can make solving puzzles or planning out strategies more difficult since level layouts and object placements are very rarely consistent outside of the few cases where they're pre-programmed to always be the same.

Yellows in general are kind of odd since their mechanics change in almost every game they're in.

I think they were at their best in 2, though, since they were immune to an instant death hazard and it was also the game that introduced their ability to conduct electricity safely and thus their immunity to it as a hazard. But 3 introducing electricity puzzles was also a welcome addition, even if electricity as a hazard was hard nerfed.
Pikmin viability is just weird in general.

Like, Reds are basically useless in 2 outside a small handful of Firey Bulblaxes.

Jondolio

Smash Hero

I was just joking. I do actually like Pikmin 2 even if it's my least favorite of the four games (there are no bad Pikmin games). The randomly generated caves can be hit or miss for me because more often than not an entire section of the cave can be rendered completely skippable and sometimes you're sentenced to death by spawning next to poison gas. I like Pikmin 4's caves better since there's actual level design and also you don't spend as much time in the caves

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
Pikmin viability is just weird in general.

Like, Reds are basically useless in 2 outside a small handful of Firey Bulblaxes.
I used to think that and rarely used Red past the Perplexing Pool as a kid, but then I realized how good their damage output was + their immunity to fire and normal running speed makes them far more balanced combat troops than the otherwise stronger Purples.

I tend to bring Reds along almost every mission in playthroughs of the game nowadays, barring the small handful of caves where fire isn't a hazard at all.

Ok, hear me out: is Pikmin 4 a Fire Emblem game?
Command an army via multiple lords/captians
Type Matchups and Weapon Triangles
Final Boss is a gigantic, ancient, beast
Permadeath
Okay, this is the one major issue I have with Pikmin 4.

What the heck were they thinking when they decided to make it so that enemies on the surface don't respawn?

Shroob

Sup?
I used to think that and rarely used Red past the Perplexing Pool as a kid, but then I realized how good their damage output was + their immunity to fire and normal running speed makes them far more balanced combat troops than the otherwise stronger Purples.

I tend to bring Reds along almost every mission in playthroughs of the game nowadays, barring the small handful of caves where fire isn't a hazard at all.

What the heck were they thinking when they decided to make it so that enemies on the surface don't respawn?
Honestly, it's a speed versus power thing for me.

Since Purples can stun the enemies, the tradeoff of them being slower is well worth it for me since they have the stun + huge damage. Them being harder to get is a huge downside for sure, but also, you're going to need to farm them eventually for that one weight treasure.

TheMightyP

Smash Obsessed
Also also, I may be blind, but the Luigi's Mansion Dark Moon remaster looks the exact same as the one on the 3DS.

I genuinelly see zero difference like at all, like nothing graphically, nothing gameplay wise, I see like 0 new modes, etc. They selling this for $60?

Jondolio

Smash Hero

That's probably my biggest issue with the game. Combat in this game is easy enough as it is, and now I don't even have to worry about enemies respawning? I already think the game is too cozy and this doesn't help things at all. Plus it makes the world feel boring

Shroob

Sup?
Also also, I may be blind, but the Luigi's Mansion Dark Moon remaster looks the exact same as the one on the 3DS.

I genuinelly see zero difference like at all, like nothing graphically, nothing gameplay wise, I see like 0 new modes, etc. They selling this for $60?
I still remember when Dark Moon made my 3DS ****ing CRASH. I was afraid the game bricked my system. It was in the ice area with the ski lifts.

Jondolio

Smash Hero

I just checked out the trailer again and I genuinely don't think I see any difference. They could've at least thrown in the first game as well, it still wouldn't really justify the cost but it's something

TheMightyP

Smash Obsessed
I just checked out the trailer again and I genuinely don't think I see any difference. They could've at least thrown in the first game as well, it still wouldn't really justify the cost but it's something
Yeah, and they remade the first game on the 3DS too so idk why they just decided to leave it out when it would have gotten the entire series on the Switch.

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
I was just joking. I do actually like Pikmin 2 even if it's my least favorite of the four games (there are no bad Pikmin games). The randomly generated caves can be hit or miss for me because more often than not an entire section of the cave can be rendered completely skippable and sometimes you're sentenced to death by spawning next to poison gas. I like Pikmin 4's caves better since there's actual level design and also you don't spend as much time in the caves
I still think this might be a bug with the Switch port specifically. I've played through Pikmin 2 on the Gamecube countless times and I've never once spawned right next to a poison pipe in any cave. There's always enough breathing room for the Pikmin to be called and organized, or at least left by the ship's pod before moving out to disable the pipes or just use White Pikmin and Bulbmin to bypass them entirely.

I'm not sure about the cave sections being skippable, though. That happens on occasion with some cave floors in the original, but it sounds like it happened more frequently in your first playthrough of the game.

That's probably my biggest issue with the game. Combat in this game is easy enough as it is, and now I don't even have to worry about enemies respawning? I already think the game is too cozy and this doesn't help things at all. Plus it makes the world feel boring
I like the game's environment but the reduction of the challenge and the more boring atmosphere without the enemies is a change that makes absolutely no sense to me.

Much like only allowing a set number of Pikmin types on the surface at once, it feels like a change that was introduced for the sake of it rather than being added to meaningful purpose like to shake up the gameplay or as quality of life difficulty change.

My dog is obsessed with eating cicadas and I don't know why
I'm afraid your dog has too much access to social media suggesting how to cook cicadas. You should consider restricting it's time on it's smartphone.

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280
Honestly tho, what DOES Nintendo even have this year?

SMT Vengeance drops next month and then....... what? Pokemon ain't til sometime next year, there has to be something to fill the gap.
If I had to guess...
  • Wind Waker and Twilight Princess HD
  • Fire Emblem: Genealogy of the Holy War remake (this has been rumored for years)
  • Metroid Prime 2 and 3 (rumors say this is happening too)
  • Yoshis Wooly World (another Wii U game that could be brought to switch fairly easily, 3DS version really isn't an issue anymore)
  • A new Mario party (there were three years between 10 and Super, then another three years between Super and Superstars, and it's been three years since Superstars)
  • I wouldn't be surprised if the Mario Kart/ARMS team has something cooking. Home Circuit and Tour were mostly outsourced, and the Booster Course Pass was obviously by a skeleton crew. That means that the bulk of the team has been MIA since 2018, and I doubt they've been twiddling their thumbs for six years.
It's not terribly exciting, but it's fairly good for what it blatantly is - a filler year before the Switch 2.

Noipoi

Howdy!
  • I wouldn't be surprised if the Mario Kart/ARMS team has something cooking. Home Circuit and Tour were mostly outsourced, and the Booster Course Pass was obviously by a skeleton crew. That means that the bulk of the team has been MIA since 2018, and I doubt they've been twiddling their thumbs for six years.
Yeah, Mario Kart 9 on the Switch 2.

Last edited:

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
and the Booster Course Pass was obviously by a skeleton crew
Surprisingly, no:
Notice it has a much bigger list of programmers than either version of MK8's base game.

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280
Yeah, Mario Kart 9 on the Switch 2.
Don't get me wrong they're absolutely working on 9, but I doubt it started development immediately after ARMS. If I had to guess, from around 2018 to 2022 they had 70% of the team working on this mystery game and 30% working on everything else (Tour, BCP, Home Circuit, very early MK9 dev), and after that they have 70% of the team working on MK9 and the rest of the time finishing up the mystery game and the Booster Course Pass.

Or maybe they were working on something and it got canned, like whatever Retro was doing between Tropical Freeze and Metroid Prime 4. That could happen too I guess.

Dukefire

Smash Master
The last Nintendo Direct was broadcast on February 21 as a Partner Showcase. It has been more than 3 months now.

So what announcements will be appearing other than the possible switch 2? (name not official yet)

Last edited:

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946
All they gotta do is port Super and all the good Paper Mario games are on the Switch.

Unless you're one of them Color Splash truthers which there are surprisingly a lot of
Minus the combat, color splash is fun. Characters are witty and well written and it gave more life than previous installments. Yeah no unique characters sucks, but the NPCs all stand out fairly well, from the shy guy who confides in Mario how he became a villain and what he wants for his future, only for Mario to inadvertently kill him later only, the toad who beats Mario because his wife left him, the prison cell sniffit, key holder toads, etc. list can go on, but for generic designs, they all were memorable characters.

plus Luigi and bowser are written with personality which was a huge step back in the right direction.
No Pokemon game in November

Presidental elections in November

Coincidence? I think not
Pokémon Rose and Pokemon Ghetius coming soon to a voting booth near you.

Shroob

Sup?
Minus the combat, color splash is fun. Characters are witty and well written and it gave more life than previous installments. Yeah no unique characters sucks, but the NPCs all stand out fairly well, from the shy guy who confides in Mario how he became a villain and what he wants for his future, only for Mario to inadvertently kill him later only, the toad who beats Mario because his wife left him, the prison cell sniffit, key holder toads, etc. list can go on, but for generic designs, they all were memorable characters.

plus Luigi and bowser are written with personality which was a huge step back in the right direction.

Pokémon Rose and Pokemon Ghetius coming soon to a voting booth near you.
South Park prepared me for having to vote between a turd sandwich and a giant douche...

Reactions: Z25
Top Bottom