• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social The Social Thread 3.2.1

Jotadé

Smash Journeyman
Finally finished downloading the entirety of the 90s X-Men show in european spanish (because Disney+ Spain sadly doesn't have that dub) onto my TV.

Now I am ready for my marathon to prepare myself for '97.

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
SW: 5586-2837-4585
Ai is one of the WORSt social links in P4
What's this dlc about? Does it add anything like furniture and **** to the main game?
If you played happy home designer, thats basickly what it is. I loved happy home designer so it was a day 1 gor me.
Also you get to use partitions on your main island once you unlock them

Last edited:

Jotadé

Smash Journeyman
This is an interesting one!

You see, the original Super Mario RPG didn't release in Europe back in the day, so in theory I should have no connections to It... However against all the odds I actually did! Long story short: I got the SNES Mini back when It released for Día de Reyes, and It included Super Mario RPG even in Europe.

It was one of my favourite games on the device, loved the DKC-style pre-rendered graphics, the overall tone of the game and the gameplay was quite fun and creative compared to other RPGs on the SNES Mini.

So yeah, I was excited for the remake, so how did It turn out... Weeeeeell... I have mixed thoughts on it.

Before going on, don't get me wrong: I enjoyed It and felt that It was a very worthy experience to try... I just feel that It wasn't a 60 bucks experience.

Let's start with the good things: the graphics are outstanding. Every single sprite from the original has been beautifully recreated in 3D, both the overworld sprites and the Battle ones. It feels kinda magical and nostalgic. There's also a charm to seeing characters such as Booster, Geno, Mallow, Speardovich and Smithy in full 3D. And the whole thing gets even greater with Culex.

The music is as great if not better. Yoko Shimomura returns with the full Orchestra for this remake, and the music sounds outstanding. Could spend a whole evening naming my favourite tracks.

The idea behind the Boss rematches is also quite cool. Love that they offer a new harder version of the most iconic ones with each having a different gimmick... I just wish they didn't still feel kinda easy.

Ok, now we get to what I didn't enjoy as much from this remake, and sadly It is a big thing: the Gameplay has been nerfed to the point there's not even a difficulty spike. The main reason why is because now when you time your attacks well, you damage all the enemies at once. This seemingly small change makes the game way too much of a cake walk. I think I finished It on a single evening.
And It is a shame, because you don't get enough time to appreciate the successes in the battles and such because they just end that fast.
All in all, I wish they added some sort of retro mode which took out the multi-hits or at least a New Game+ Mode to replay the story without having to start a new file.

So to conclude: Super Mario RPG Remake is a fun but extremely short time. This feels like a genuine passion project by Yoko Shimomura and all the devs... But I wish the game had at least some sort of difficulty spike. Maybe an update can fix the elephant in the room... But at this point idk if that will happen.

Without the multi-hits, I would give this Game a 8.5/10... As It stands, It sadly is a 6.5/10. A good game... Just not worth 60 bucks.

Jotadé

Smash Journeyman
Happy three years to the day I lost my ****

That was also the Direct where they announced Mario Golf Super Rush iirc.

Great times, I remember being hyped for that game and the chance It could include Pauline (she actually made It in which was awesome).

Speaking of Pyra and Mythra, my local videogame store has restocked their amiibo, so that's neat. Would pick them up but I want to prioritize stuff.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Without the multi-hits, I would give this Game a 8.5/10... As It stands, It sadly is a 6.5/10.
Gonna use this to go on a weird tangent, I know you mean the AoE effect on normal attacks but this is pretty much my issue with Mario RPGs, I hate the timed hits. At first, it seems like a way to reward skill with bonus damage, which sounds great, but as I got more into RPGs, I learned to appreciate the flow of picking your moves, seeing how things play out and then reacting by thinking of your next moves, but the timed hit mechanic makes it so that I constantly have to kick my focus up to 11, otherwise I miss out on crucial damage, otherwise I take extra damage which makes fights last longer as I may need to heal. The interactive element makes it feel worse as instead of being rewarded with bonus damage and reduced damage, I feel punished by taking more damage and dealing less of it for not being fixated. Mario and Luigi has it and while I loved those before delving into other games, I found myself frustrated at constantly needing to do 'fun' minigames. Paper Mario? Couldn't finish the first one cause of it and I dread playing TTYD for the same thing lmao. It feels repetitive yet mandatory, I'd rather have a straight minute of homing attack chains in a Sonic game than a 45 seconds of combat in a Mario RPG lmao

Shroob

Sup?
I don’t feel like it’s any of these scenarios. But it will be this one:

4. Business as usual. Traditional sequel.

It’s happened before. Melee to Brawl. Brawl to Wii U. I think the next game doesn’t have to surpass Ultimate. I don’t even think any form of next game can surpass Ultimate’s success, be it an enhanced port, traditional sequel, or reboot.
That's what option 1 is.

The big difference here is that assuming Switch 2 gets a Smash, and why wouldn't it since we've gotten one every console generation, the thing is this game'll be running on a console that can already run Ultimate, assuming Switch 2 is backwards compatible.

The question is how do you get people to drop Ultimate for the new game, because that's not going to be easy.

This is going to be the first time since Brawl where 2 Smash games co-exist on the same platform(Not counting 64 here obv, shhh the WiiU does not exist), and Melee to Brawl was really the first big split in the community. Are we going to have this happen all over again?

Last edited:

BritishGuy54

Smash Journeyman
That's what option 1 is.

The big difference here is that assuming Switch 2 gets a Smash, and why wouldn't it since we've gotten one every console generation, the thing is this game'll be running on a console that can already run Ultimate, assuming Switch 2 is backwards compatible.

The question is how do you get people to drop Ultimate for the new game, because that's not going to be easy.

This is going to be the first time since Brawl where 2 Smash games co-exist on the same platform(Not counting 64 here obv), and Melee to Brawl was really the first big split in the community. Are we going to have this happen all over again?
I had assumed when you talked about Splatoon you were talking about the jump from 2 to 3 rather than 1 to 2. My mistake on that part.

Melee and Brawl caused a split in the community primarily due to the combat rather than the roster. A competitive schism.

However, a new game may be the inverse. That the community becomes split due to the roster instead, especially if it downscales in terms of amount and scope. A more casual schism.

I don’t see the combat changing much from Ultimate. Maybe it gets a bit faster or a bit slower.

I have heard people talk about the post-Wii era being a generational divide, and it’s hard to deny. We’ve seen new franchises born in the 2010’s such as Xenoblade or Splatoon, and the rising prominence of Animal Crossing and Fire Emblem, while we have seen some franchises go dormant, get a one-shot revival, or even end outright during the 2000s and 2010’s.

And being realistic, it won’t be very long before Switch nostalgia becomes a thing.

In terms of trying to retain Ultimate’s audience, I guess some things to try would be retaining a small group of legacy faces (such as Ness, Falcon, Little Mac), keeping and bringing in recent Switch characters, and bringing in a couple of timeless picks.

Shroob

Sup?
I had assumed when you talked about Splatoon you were talking about the jump from 2 to 3 rather than 1 to 2. My mistake on that part.

Melee and Brawl caused a split in the community primarily due to the combat rather than the roster. A competitive schism.

However, a new game may be the inverse. That the community becomes split due to the roster instead, especially if it downscales in terms of amount and scope. A more casual schism.

I don’t see the combat changing much from Ultimate. Maybe it gets a bit faster or a bit slower.

I have heard people talk about the post-Wii era being a generational divide, and it’s hard to deny. We’ve seen new franchises born in the 2010’s such as Xenoblade or Splatoon, and the rising prominence of Animal Crossing and Fire Emblem, while we have seen some franchises go dormant, get a one-shot revival, or even end outright during the 2000s and 2010’s.

And being realistic, it won’t be very long before Switch nostalgia becomes a thing.

In terms of trying to retain Ultimate’s audience, I guess some things to try would be retaining a small group of legacy faces (such as Ness, Falcon, Little Mac), keeping and bringing in recent Switch characters, and bringing in a couple of timeless picks.
There's also the very real fact that Ultimate just has soo much 'stuff' in it.

If given the choice between an older game that has a ton of stuff on it(Ultimate), and a newer game that has less stuff, assuming Switch 2 Smash will be 70$ like other modern games, and both are playable/purchasable on the same console, it's a bit hard to even justify buying the newer game outside of "It's new", if the older game is cheaper, and just has 'more' in it.

There's a lot of hurdles the next Smash game is going to have to overcome.

Now if Switch 2 ISN'T backwards compatible, then there's no issue because it'll stand alone, but that would feel very ****ty on Nintendo's part.

And that's the main point I'm getting at.

Assuming that the Switch 2 is backwards compatible, and Ultimate will be playable on it, how do you get people to give up Ultimate for a new game that probably will just have 'less', and will probably cost more.

There's really no easy answer.

Last edited:

Jocario Zero

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-2327-1796-5400
I just finished the 3rd playthrough of Nier Automata. Great game, but it got weird at times. Also: I really liked Kyle McCarley's performance as 9S, especially towards the end.

I have the endings A, B and C as well as a few other endings. I will get back to that eventually, but right now I need something a little more lighthearted. :upsidedown:

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
20240217_164138234.jpg

And complete! 96 pieces of plastic & computer chips and nearly a decade of hunting. I definitely have some stories about the first couple years, but I'm really glad that Nintendo eventually got their act together for the most part.

I don't have a proper display case yet, so the picture is a little crude (there are also file size limits). As much as I would love for Ultimate to continue, I kind of don't so I can finally see the Amiibo series completed.

Jondolio

Smash Hero
View attachment 385026

And complete! 96 pieces of plastic & computer chips and nearly a decade of hunting. I definitely have some stories about the first couple years, but I'm really glad that Nintendo eventually got their act together for the most part.

I don't have a proper display case yet, so the picture is a little crude (there are also file size limits). As much as I would love for Ultimate to continue, I kind of don't so I can finally see the Amiibo series completed.
Congrats!

Wish I could afford these. I'm pretty sure I have a third of them at this point but I'm sinking too of my wallet into collecting One Piece figurines to really put some on the side for amiibo

Reactions: ---

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
Congrats!

Wish I could afford these. I'm pretty sure I have a third of them at this point but I'm sinking too of my wallet into collecting One Piece figurines to really put some on the side for amiibo
I think the most I paid was $55 for a new Rosalina back during the peak of demand. It's probably not the most affordable to get in now... If they each went for the original MSRP price of $13 each, that would be $1,248 before taxes, potential shipping, or the $3 increase the Ultimate figures had. Though I guess if you divide that by a decade, that's only $125 per year or about full size Japanese character statue per year.

Best of luck with the One Piece figures! I've been reading the Manga for the first time over the past few months while I workout on a Treadmill/Exercise Bike and just reached the Water 7 Arc. I'm sure being One Piece there are more than 96 to collect. lol

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
A new Project Voltage supporting artwork was released, too. “Anniversary” by heiwa. Specifically, it’s for Kaito’s 18th anniversary. It has Miku, Kaito, Mantine, Mantyke, Eiscue, Vanilluxe, and Sensu-style Oricorio:

Professor Pumpkaboo Professor Pumpkaboo more Kaito

Regarding the “Eon Ticket” song and video, it was cool, pretty and cute!

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
Gohan Beast vs Masted Ultra Instinct Goku is gonna be amazing

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID