• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social The Social Thread 3.2.1

Favorite announcement of this Direct?

• Total voters

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
Sadly, the 3rd party characters are almost always the one with the pendulum over their head, because legal contracts and whatnot. Whereas Fire Emblem is as easy as Sakurai going to Intelligent Systems and going "Yo."
All I have to say in response to this is to stat spilling curse words. To think we could loose actually interesting characters because of licensing fees whereas we keep uninteresting characters from franchises that already have too many characters and will inevitably get more all because they're easy to use. It's incredibly stupid and one of the reason I don't like talking about cuts.

Also this forum overemphasizes the importance of Fire Emblem as a franchise as a rebellion against the typical hatred for it seen in the "smash community". It's no more important to Nintendo than Kirby, and Kirby only has three characters.

Shroob

Sup?
All I have to say in response to this is to stat spilling curse words. To think we could loose actually interesting characters because of licensing fees whereas we keep uninteresting characters from franchises that already have too many characters and will inevitably get more all because they're easy to use. It's incredibly stupid and one of the reason I don't like talking about cuts.

Also this forum overemphasizes the importance of Fire Emblem as a franchise as a rebellion against the typical hatred for it seen in the "smash community". It's no more important to Nintendo than Kirby, and Kirby only has three characters.
Girl, you're in too deep.

No one's over-emphasizing things. It's really as easy as Nintendo going, "We'll pay you this much Square." and Square retorting with "Nah, we want this much or no dice."

I feel like some 3rd Party characters are probably safe. Pac Man because, I mean yeah. Sonic and probably Megaman(If you catch Capcom on a good day at least), and probably the Microsoft bros at least.

Last edited:

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
If your approach to cuts winds up with one franchise going from 8 characters to 3 then your approach is fundamentally awful. Spread that **** out.
I mean I'm under the assumption that FE is going to get more new characters. That's part if the reason they do cuts. They don't just do it out of malice and spite.

And like... nobody's gonna actually listen to me if I tell them that FE has too many characters because people here think it's more important/popular than it is. It's a solid b-tier franchise. But it doesn't deserve to dominate the roster. It cheats by having a whole new set of characters every installment, and I think it's time we trim the fat a little.

Last edited:

Noipoi

Howdy!

Sadly in reality it's not going to come down to what's "interesting" which is subjective anyway, it's going to come down to who they can get. And like it or not it's way easier to get the rights to a franchise they own as opposed to a third party franchise.

That's not to say no first party characters can go, I think Corrin, Incineroar, Young Link, Piranha Plant, and Pichu all have big targets on their heads. But the fundamentals of your thought process here don't exactly align with the legal realities.

Last edited:

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804
I mean I'm under the assumption that FE is going to get more new characters. That's part if the reason they do cuts. They don't just do it out of malice and spite.

And like... nobody's gonna actually listen to me if I tell them that FE has too many characters because people here think it's more important/popular than it is. It's a solid b-tier franchise. But it doesn't deserve to dominate the roster. It cheats by having a whole new set of characters every installment, and I think it's time we trim the fat a little.
Okay but you can't trade an echo fighter for a completely new fighter unless they're also an echo and you're not actually trying to look at anything from an objective lens. FE is a near annual franchise and the gacha makes them a lot of money. It's definitely a priority for Nintendo, a solid A tier franchise now.

Also Awakening is the only time we got more than one character from any game and both the extra characters are low effort clones, you act like the next game is gonna add Alear, Ivy, Yunaka AND Timerra from Engage when it's just gonna be Alear lol

Last edited:

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
Sadly in reality it's not going to come down to what's "interesting" which is subjective anyway, it's going to come down to who they can get. And like it or not it's way easier to get the rights to a franchise they own as opposed to a third party franchise.

That's not to say no first party characters can go, I think Corrin, Incineroar, Young Link, Piranha Plant, and Pichu all have big targets on their heads. But the fundamentals of your thought process here don't exactly align with the legal realities.
I'll admit that I have a bias towards the third parties. 80% of the smash reveals that got me excited were for third party characters. But honestly, if they're cutting characters, I hope they cut the "uninterestng" characters along with any third parties they can't still get (though I personally believe that they'll all be more cooperative then you guys give them credit for). Like, if we gotta loose Snake, I'll at least be comforted by the fact that his spot wasn't filled with Corrin just "because he was easy to get". Nah man. Get rid of them both if you have to.

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
Okay but you can't trade an echo fighter for a completely new fighter unless they're also an echo and you're not actually trying to look at anything from an objective lens. FE is a near annual franchise and the gacha makes them a lot of money. It's definitely a priority for Nintendo, a solid A tier franchise now.

Also Awakening is the only time we got more than one character from any game and both the extra characters are low effort clones, you act like the next game is gonna add Alear, Ivy, Yunaka AND Timerra from Engage when it's just gonna be Alear lol
Realistically it's just gonna be the main character of the installment that's current in like 4-5 years which probably won't be Alear.

And no, it's not A-tier. Like yes, the gatcha game makes them money. But it's nowhere near annual. Three Houses was 2019 and Engage was 2023. Yes, Echoes came out the year after Fates but there was still a two year gap between awakening and Fates to begin with. And we're talking about the shift from the 3DS to the switch after that. It certainly releases more often than Mario or Zelda, but like... how many Kirby games did the Switch get, as an example. And it had a similar release pattern on the 3DS. And again, Kirby is considered a b-tier franchise and only has 3 characters in Smash.

Noipoi

Howdy!
I'll admit that I have a bias towards the third parties. 80% of the smash reveals that got me excited were for third party characters. But honestly, if they're cutting characters, I hope they cut the "uninterestng" characters along with any third parties they can't still get (though I personally believe that they'll all be more cooperative then you guys give them credit for). Like, if we gotta loose Snake, I'll at least be comforted by the fact that his spot wasn't filled with Corrin just "because he was easy to get". Nah man. Get rid of them both if you have to.
Well what's interesting to you doesn't necessitate what's interesting to everybody. I know some people who love the first party reveals and are ambivalent to the third party characters. I wouldn't want the game to revolve around their tastes, just like I don't want it revolving around yours, or even mine.

Eeeehh people like to say that Fire Emblem gets special treatment, and I won't deny that it gets a lot of love, more than other franchises who arguably might need it more. But at the end of the day the series' representation in Smash is mostly the case of circumstance.

By sheer coincidence there just so happened to be a mainline Fire Emblem game launching around the time of each Smash, and each one introduces a new playable character with their own wacky cast of characters. As established by the Pocket Monsters of yore, a series with a revolving cast get a new character in every new Smash.

And Lucina just so happened to be close enough to Marth that they could make a clone out of her. And Corrin's game just so happened to release around the time of the Smash 4 dlc...at least in Japan. Admittedly Corrin's inclusion was a stretch that even Sakurai was iffy about, and I think we all could've avoided a lot of turmoil if they just didn't go ahead with it. But whatever, past is in the past.

And by nature of Everyone is Here, all the FE character's we've amassed are now all back with no opportunity to trim the fat. Chrom was a big fan request back in the day, so they make him an echo too. And then Three Houses just so happens to release while the first Fighters Pass is being planned, leading to the blank-faced teacher. And now we have a million blue haired swordsmen.

It's a lot of lucky happenstances that to FE's prominence, it was never the intention from the start. The team even seems a bit self-conscious about it, which is both funny and sad because you know that means they see all the hate these guys get. I definitely think their numbers will drop by a few next game.

Thank you for coming to my TED Talk :nifty:

Last edited:

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
Well what's interesting to you doesn't necessitate what's interesting to everybody. I know some people who love the first party reveals and are ambivalent to the third party characters. I wouldn't want the game to revolve around their tastes, just like I don't want it revolving around yours, or even mine.

Eeeehh people like to say that Fire Emblem gets special treatment, and I won't deny that it gets a lot of love, more than other franchises who arguably might need it more. But at the end of the day the series' representation in Smash is mostly the benefactor of circumstance.

By sheer coincidence there just so happened to be a mainline Fire Emblem game launching around the time of each Smash, and each one introduces a new playable character with their own wacky cast of characters. As established by the Pocket Monsters of yore, a series with a revolving cast get a new character in every new Smash.

And Lucina just so happened to be close enough to Marth that they could make a clone out of her. And Corrin's game just so happened to release around the time of the Smash 4 dlc...at least in Japan. Admittedly Corrin's inclusion was a stretch that even Sakurai was iffy about, and I think we all could've avoided a lot of turmoil if they just didn't go ahead with it. But whatever, past is in the past.

And by nature of Everyone is Here, all the FE character's we've amassed are now all back with no opportunity to trim the fat. Chrom was a big fan request back in the day, so they make him an echo too. And then Three Houses just so happens to release while the first Fighters Pass is being planned, leading to the blank-faced teacher. And now we have a million blue haired swordsmen.

It's a lot of lucky happenstances that to FE's prominence, it was never the intention from the start. The team even seems a bit self-conscious about it, which is both funny and sad because you know that means they see all the hate these guys get. I definitely think their numbers will drop by a few next game.

Thank you for coming to my TED Talk :nifty:
Which is why i dropped it so substantially. But apparently Smash needs to represent every important Fire Emblem game (visa vi the earlier comments about me cutting the cast of awakening) because it's just so important. I mean they just put up that Fire Emblem theme park in Universal Studios and the Fire Emblem movie grossed millions at the box office so they have to document it's every twist and turn on the smash roster. (I'm aware I'm being ridiculous but I'm doing it to illustrate a point).

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
It's late here and I really don't have the energy to discuss cuts or the prospect of an Ultimate port or Deluxe Edition right now, so in regards to an earlier discussion, wasn't Tooie also the more popular of the Banjo-Kazooie games back in the day?

I never played it but the bosses and some of the quotes certainly seemed more memorable to a lot of players.

Last edited:

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804
Realistically it's just gonna be the main character of the installment that's current in like 4-5 years which probably won't be Alear.

And no, it's not A-tier. Like yes, the gatcha game makes them money. But it's nowhere near annual. Three Houses was 2019 and Engage was 2023. Yes, Echoes came out the year after Fates but there was still a two year gap between awakening and Fates to begin with. And we're talking about the shift from the 3DS to the switch after that. It certainly releases more often than Mario or Zelda, but like... how many Kirby games did the Switch get, as an example. And it had a similar release pattern on the 3DS. And again, Kirby is considered a b-tier franchise and only has 3 characters in Smash.
It is A tier
Three Houses outsold a bunch of the franchises that Smash and Nintendo fans actually tricked themselves into thinking were bigger than they actually are like Metroid and Kirby. Though Kirby did have a big increase on the Switch as well but historically it never outsold the 3ds Fire Emblems until the Switch

You're also leaving out the Warriors games.

2017 had Heroes, Echoes and Warriors.
2018 didn't have anything unless you count Warriors dlc and a new year's worth of content for Heroes
2019 had Three Houses + dlc
2020 had the last bit of Houses dlc and the 30th anniversary release
2021 didn't have anything unless you count Heroes getting another year's worth of content
2022 had Three Hopes
2023 had Engage + dlc
Now we're on 2024 and an FE4 remake is in the rumour mill.

Consider that 2017 tripled up and there were two empty years outside of gacha **** and it evens out to a rate of a release per year. This also excludes NSO releases.

It warrants what it has in Smash, just replace Corrin with Timerra and add the Summoner's gun as an item.

Last edited:

Noipoi

Howdy!
It's late here and I really don't have the energy to discuss cuts or the prospect of an Ultimate port or Deluxe Edition right now, so in regards to an earlier discussion, wasn't Tooie also the more popular of the Banjo-Kazooie games back in the day?

I never played it but the bosses and some of the quotes certainly seemed more memorable to a lot of players.
If it was, it certainly isn't now.

Tooie feels like it's been swept under the rug of history.
Which is why i dropped it so substantially. But apparently Smash needs to represent every important Fire Emblem game (visa vi the earlier comments about me cutting the cast of awakening) because it's just so important. I mean they just put up that Fire Emblem theme park in Universal Studios and the Fire Emblem movie grossed millions at the box office so they have to document it's every twist and turn on the smash roster. (I'm aware I'm being ridiculous but I'm doing it to illustrate a point).
Saltiness doesn't suit you :nifty:

FE's prominence may've been accidental, but the characters are here now. And unlike us fans, the team doesn't seem interested it getting rid of scores of characters from one series just because they feel like it's "too much". Those characters all have heart put into them, each of them is someone's favorite. Even stupid ass dumbass bad game Corrin.

So while I do feel like one (or maybe two) of them will go, we'll still have a lotta fremblems. And it's highly unrealistic to expect most of them to take a hike :drshrug:

Shroob

Sup?

Tooie's issue is kinda the same as DK64 in that there's in a ****ed up way too much of it.

Whereas DK64 has STUFF to get, Tooie was just needlessly big. Kazooie's levels were very concise and had just enough room for its stages to be enjoyable, but you will be using Talon Trot 101% of the time in Tooie. It's just

It's just

IT's JUST

:ultridley:

IT'S TOO BIG

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
It is A tier
Three Houses outsold a bunch of the franchises that Smash and Nintendo fans actually tricked themselves into thinking were bigger than they actually are like Metroid and Kirby. Though Kirby did have a big increase on the Switch as well but historically it never outsold the 3ds Fire Emblems until the Switch

You're also leaving out the Warriors games.

2017 had Heroes, Echoes and Warriors.
2018 didn't have anything unless you count Warriors dlc and a new year's worth of content for Heroes
2019 had Three Houses + dlc
2020 had the last bit of Houses dlc and the 30th anniversary release
2021 didn't have anything unless you count Heroes getting another year's worth of content
2022 had Three Hopes
2023 had Engage + dlc
Now we're on 2024 and an FE4 remake is in the rumour mill.

Consider that 2017 tripled up and there were two empty years outside of gacha **** and it evens out to a rate of a release per year. This also excludes NSO releases.

It warrants what it has in Smash, just replace Corrin with Timerra and add the Summoner's gun as an item.
I mean if you want to count the warriors games. And then the DLC as a separate release, then sure it's annual.

Just admit you're a fan and don't want too loose anythng from the series you like. Because that's easier to swallow than what you're trying to sell me. It doesn't need this many characters in Smash. Trim the fat, add a fresh face, and be done with it. Stop trying to elevate the series you like. It's unbecomming no matter who does it or why.

Shroob

Sup?
I mean if you want to count the warriors games. And then the DLC as a separate release, then sure it's annual.

Just admit you're a fan and don't want too loose anythng from the series you like. Because that's easier to swallow than what you're trying to sell me. It doesn't need this many characters in Smash. Trim the fat, add a fresh face, and be done with it. Stop trying to elevate the series you like. It's unbecomming no matter who does it or why.
Snake, dear, you're kinda, being needlessly hostile rn.

Maybe it's time to get some sleep. :dr^_^:

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806
Tooie's issue is kinda the same as DK64 in that there's in a ****ed up way too much of it.

Whereas DK64 has STUFF to get, Tooie was just needlessly big. Kazooie's levels were very concise and had just enough room for its stages to be enjoyable, but you will be using Talon Trot 101% of the time in Tooie. It's just

It's just

IT's JUST

:ultridley:

IT'S TOO BIG
Vehicles would have made traversing the levels better.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
I never as much as loomed at Tooie, all I know is that it's big as **** and there's an entire scrimblos species of ethnic stereotype who are named after an ethnic slur but with one letter changed.

Also cut discussion sucks cause people just go "I don't like Fire Emblem and Pokemon, we gotta cut em all" while failing to consider the unique playstyles that are lost, then they always suggest milquetoast **** which more often than not, is the same jack of all trades or rushdown that we have loads of meaning people who liked swinging a big ol' sword heavy, one of the two grapplers in the game, etc can go **** themselves

Jotadé

Smash Ace
Good morning everyone!

Here's hoping to a great day for ya'll! Specially Noipoi Noipoi who apparently hasn't been feeling the greatest recently. Praying for his well being and that he gets a dope day! 🙏🏼

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804

I mean, they do count. That's two full priced games and extra stuff sold on top of it you want to arbitrarily exclude for whatever reason.

I could easily wave goodbye to Roy and Corrin lmao. Don't be surprised when people see you doing the stereotypical angry smash fan thing of "cut over half of FE" and call you out on that nonsense.

Jotadé

Smash Ace
Yo Cutie Gwen Cutie Gwen , did you see the X-Men '97 trailer and the GIF I made out of the trailer? Did you find It cool?

I personally am really hyped for the show.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Yo Cutie Gwen Cutie Gwen , did you see the X-Men '97 trailer and the GIF I made out of the trailer? Did you find It cool?

I personally am really hyped for the show.
Haven't gotten around to seeing the trailer cause of time but I'm hoping it's as good as the original, I tried watching it twice and ot was great even if I kept dropping the series around the time Apocalypse gets introduced. Funny as hell seeing the show as an adult going "Oh they're QUEER that's the allegory!" and then seeing babies go "I hope they didn't make this new series woke!" Not sure I'll watch it as I still never got around to She Hulk despite looking forward to that lmao

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
Personally I loved Tooie, the faults mentioned here don’t bother me (though it’s been a good while since I last played the game tbh) but I acknowledge they exist and bother people, because yeah, there’s backtracking and the levels are huge despite Banjo’s speed xD

Very cool and fun imo, but I can see how it can be a slog at times for others, plus there may have been a few things that annoyed me too iirc (at least one may have been related to backtracking; I think it was maybe the sleeping caveman you can get to from Mayahem Temple, but I’m not sure if it was really due to backtracking later. Also Canary Mary really wants you to get carpal tunnel).

tbh Terrydactyl Land’s size may have annoyed me a bit too when trying to traverse it. I’m not 100% certain, but the feeling seems familiar.

(also I didn’t know the slur thing, that sucks too)

You know. If I could erase any two things from the history of video games, I'd probably go with Fire Emblem and Minecraft. Would save me a lot of arguments.
you take that back
IMG_0042.jpeg
/jest

Jondolio

Smash Hero
Had a dream where Sonic 3 just had Sonic and Shadow in a bunch of rubberhose cartoons and wasn't even close to following the plot of SA2. Also neither Rouge or Amy were in the movie and I walked out before I heard Live and Learn

Jotadé

Smash Ace
Haven't gotten around to seeing the trailer cause of time but I'm hoping it's as good as the original, I tried watching it twice and ot was great even if I kept dropping the series around the time Apocalypse gets introduced. Funny as hell seeing the show as an adult going "Oh they're QUEER that's the allegory!" and then seeing babies go "I hope they didn't make this new series woke!" Not sure I'll watch it as I still never got around to She Hulk despite looking forward to that lmao
Oh, I see I see.

And yeah, it's really hilarious seeing dumb people saying "they turned the X-Men WoKe" when they always have been an allegory of racism and LGTB-phobia in society. Heck, I think Mystique is one of the biggest LGBT characters in comic book history iirc (forgot if she was lesbian or bisexual, but she dated a girl).

And yeah, I understand your reasoning with She-Hulk, I was looking forward to that show but I feel the execution wasn't as great as It should have been. I do think Tatiana Maslany was a great casting choice doh! ^^

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
Weird fanfic idea. Somehow. ZIM from Invader ZIM encounters the Borg from Star Trek. They try to assimilate him, but because of the personality backup in his PAK, his personality infects the entire Borg collective. Now ZIM is Borg. An unstoppable hive mind armada of thousands of ships and soldiers. Not just controlled by ZIM, but who are ZIM. The universe would be in so much trouble.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
And yeah, I understand your reasoning with She-Hulk, I was looking forward to that show but I feel the execution wasn't as great as It should have been. I do think Tatiana Maslany was a great casting choice doh! ^^
Oh you're mistaken, I still wanna watch it, I just never got around to it and I don't want to give Disney my money lmao

dezeray112

Smash Hero
Kinda sucks that you had to see the movie right when we just got the greatest streak of Marvel news in recent time between the Fantastic Four cast, the X-Men '97 trailer, Deadpool 3, Moon Girl season 2 and so on.

But oh well, I understand. Hopefully you get to enjoy other stuff soon!
Well, I thought I would go and watch Madame Web for myself even though I have very low expectations and I really regret it, it is as bad as the reviews stated.

Her are my thoughts:

• Almost everything from the writing, plot, the editing to the soulless script were all messy and poorly executed with little or not very much action sequences throughout the entire film.
  • As much as Dakota Johnson does her best, sadly it wasn't enough as her character Cassandra Webb fell somewhat rather boring and bland.
  • As does the characters played by Sydney Sweeney, Isabella Merced and Celeste O'Connor in which neither of them were able to shine within their roles.
  • The same can also be applied to Tahir Rahim's portrayal of Ezekiel Sims who had little to not very much interesting back story as a villain.
  • To be honest, a lot of the acting performances from its cast were rather flat and mediocre.
  • If you are hoping to see Madame Web, Julia Cornwall, Anya Corazon and Mattie Franklin suit up within the film, you may be left rather disappointed.
Overall, Sony Entertainment Picture's ambition to create a universe without its titular superhero is still creating misfires one after the other. Morbius was already bad enough, but I didn't really think that Madame Web would equally be at the same level.

My Rating: 2/10

But it is like you said, there are still other Marvel projects that I am interested and excited for from the above.

Last edited:

Jotadé

Smash Ace

TheMightyP

Smash Obsessed
So I'm a bit late for this but yeah, TTYD is my favorite Paper Mario game, but imo I think the only thing it excels in terms of the rest of the series in is battle game play. 64 and Origami has the better world, every other game has a better soundtrack, Super has a better story, and imo other games have better characters.

But TTYD does all of them consistently and pretty well (aside from the worlds, the dungeons are good but the backtracking and is awful and the level design is meh) that it's overall the best.

But I do expect the remake to clean up the writing because looking back at it, some of the jokes aged BAD.

Last edited:
Top Bottom