• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social The Social Thread 3.2.1

Favorite announcement of this Direct?

• Total voters

Noipoi

Howdy!
Ok fair. I just get… I don’t know. I think Smash speculation has permanently ruined my perception of the series.

But like it’s a turn based tactics game. That’s never been a popular genre, especially in America. So it baffles me why the games apparently do well over here “just because they’re good” when other “good” titles and series are left to languish in obscurity and few releases. It can’t be the only criteria. So things like genre and style have to matter. But fire emblem breaks those rules by being apparently massively successful despite its genre and none of it makes any sense to me. Like… X-Com and Disgaea are not as big as your trying to tell me fire emblem is so where’s the disconnect?
I think you think too deep about this stuff, dude.

It’s a solid series that found an audience so it sells well. This wasn’t always the case, if Awakening wasn’t a hit the series would’ve went into dormancy.

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
I mean Fire Emblem is in Smash and has a lot of exposure from their company and their fans, so in turn it's gonna be the most popular of that type.
I think you think too deep about this stuff, dude.

It’s a solid series that found an audience so it sells well. This wasn’t always the case, if Awakening wasn’t a hit the series would’ve went into dormancy.
All I do is think, think, think, no matter what.

Now if I had editing software worth a dam I’d take a clip of that song “All I do is win” and overlay Winnie the Pooh saying “think think think” over “win win win” and post that in response instead and that would be a better joke but sadly adobe premiere costs money.

And I can’t help it. I think it’s the autism. When something doesn’t make sense I have to find an explanation and the explanation you provided doesn’t work when there’s still, from my point of view, evidence to the contrary.

And I mean, ultimately I just want more things I like to be as popular as the things I don’t like seem to always be.

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804
FE sells because it has huge casual appeal.
You have the no perma death mode (this was in FE12 but that was Japan only lol) and starting with SoV, a rewind mechanic.
You have map design that isn't too in depth for the most part (Conquest, Rev and Engage are exceptions whilst SoV had non-existent map design).
You generally have busted OP units and a fair amount more freedom (Conquest only has some slightly busted units and Engage don't really)
You have a fairly expansive support system (Engage and especially SoV didn't really have this)

You look at the best selling titles being Three Houses, Awakening and Fates and you realise all three of those have all four of the above. I don't think there's been a breakdown with the Fates versions and more popular routes but I wouldn't be shocked if more people picked Birthright. It's not rocket science as to why the series took off. You got accessible gameplay, you got a dating sim element with conventionally attractive anime characters and you have generally solid character and story work (unless you're Fates and AM/AG lmao)

Sure, I could see that happening.

If Nintendo just has zero games for this year :4wario2:
I can't believe Nintendo are copying Sony smh my head

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946
So after some thinking here what I'll think will be the launch lineup for Switch 2:
  • Mario Kart 8 Ultimate (big system seller, has all the content from MK8, 8D, and 8D's DLC).
  • Fire Emblem 4 remake (it's been rumored for years now and FE is a priority franchise)
  • 3D Zelda remake/remaster. My guess? BoTW remastered edition to show off the graphical enhancements from the Switch. If they were based though, they'd rerelease the remakes of the first 4 3D Zelda games and enhance them significantly.
  • Pokemon. Probably just a port to showcase graphical enhancements.
And a 3D Mario comes sometime down the line, and then mainline Pokemon, then the usual Nintendo cycle repeats...
1708114430843.png

“That’s it? Thats the switch 2 launch lineup? No Metroid Prime 4? Star fox X Zootopia? Pikmin 27?”

Also in terms of Zelda, rumors are its twilight princes and wind waker that had ports move to switch 2. I think it was Nate drake saying that.

Noipoi

Howdy!
Good thing there are these...live presentations where Nintendo announces upcoming games. What are they called again?
If we were to get a normal direct this month I’d be in agreement. But if all the leaky leaky leakers are pointing to no first party announcements this month (aside from Pokemon cuz they do their own thing)…

What then? No games at all until something is maybe announced in June, which’ll then release in the fall?

That timeline just doesn’t make sense to me :drshrug:

TheMightyP

Smash Obsessed
Ngl, I do feel as if Fire Emblem is the "generational divide" for Nintendo fans. FE's explosion in popularity is a fairly recent thing (if 12 years is recent to you), and there is no coincidence that Awakening exploding was a year after Operation Rainfall's campaign to get Xenoblade into the west.

Also also, both Xenoblade in the Americas and Fire Emblem Awakening coincided the same year KissAnime launched.

It's the demographic shift at work right there.

Last edited:

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
I try to go into the Smash speculation with an open mind since while criticism is important, the amount of just plain negativity when discussing certain characters and franchises gets grating and tiring after a while.

The only fighter in the entire series that I personally don't like much at all is Hero, and that's only because the sheer RNG and the critical hits mechanics in their moveset rather than anything to do with the character or Dragon Quest themselves.

Last edited:

Noipoi

Howdy!
Ngl, I do feel as if Fire Emblem is the "generational divide" for Nintendo fans. FE's explosion in popularity is a fairly recent thing (if 12 years is recent to you), and there is no coincidence that Awakening exploding was a year after Operation Rainfall's campaign to get Xenoblade into the west.

Also also, both Xenoblade in the Americas and Fire Emblem Awakening coincided the same year KissAnime launched.

It’s very much a “those darn kids” type of situation, mostly from the Nintendo Power crowd.

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946
If we were to get a normal direct this month I’d be in agreement. But if all the leaky leaky leakers are pointing to no first party announcements this month (aside from Pokemon cuz they do their own thing)…

What then? No games at all until something is maybe announced in June, which’ll then release in the fall?

That timeline just doesn’t make sense to me :drshrug:
“Where are the Games this year Nintendo?”

Nintendo:
1708114735208.jpeg

“Put your money where your mouths are and make this game support our entire console year”

Noipoi

Howdy!
I mean, if they were launching a console this year I think we’d already know about it.
The Switch was announced in October and released in March, that’s about six months.

If they announce this thing in March, it could see release in September or so. That’s about the same length of time.

Not to mention the general lack of releases slated for this year that should’ve been announced by this time, and the gazillion people that are talking about something going on behind the scenes. If there’s that much smoke there’s gotta be fire.

Last edited:

TheMightyP

Smash Obsessed
It’s very much a “those darn kids” type of situation, mostly from the Nintendo Power crowd.
Yeah and the Nintendo Power crowd did dominate online discussion and discourse for a long ass time.

Now they gotta share the space with other people and they don't know how to act.

Look at the Smash Speculation thread when someone brings up Fire Emblem, you got 40 year olds going on boomer rants on how FE sucks, ironically failing to realize that it's more popular than the dormant series they want to hype up as an a-lister.

Change is scary.

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
The Switch was announced in October and released in March, that’s about six months.

If they announce this thing in March, it could see release in September or so. That’s about the same length of time.

Not to mention the general lack of releases slated for this year that should’ve been announced by this time, and the gazillion people that are talking about something going on behind the scenes. If there’s that much smoke there’s gotta be fire.
Idk about you. But I get nervous around universal certainty…. Well… other peoples universal certainty. Not my own.

Noipoi

Howdy!
Yeah and the Nintendo Power crowd did dominate online discussion and discourse for a long ass time.

Now they gotta share the space with other people and they don't know how to act.

Look at the Smash Speculation thread when someone brings up Fire Emblem, you got 40 year olds going on boomer rants on how FE sucks, ironically failing to realize that it's more popular than the dormant series they want to hype up as an a-lister.

Change is scary.
Worst part is it’s gonna happen to us

Jotadé

Smash Ace
FE sells because it has huge casual appeal.
You have the no perma death mode (this was in FE12 but that was Japan only lol) and starting with SoV, a rewind mechanic.
You have map design that isn't too in depth for the most part (Conquest, Rev and Engage are exceptions whilst SoV had non-existent map design).
You generally have busted OP units and a fair amount more freedom (Conquest only has some slightly busted units and Engage don't really)
You have a fairly expansive support system (Engage and especially SoV didn't really have this)

You look at the best selling titles being Three Houses, Awakening and Fates and you realise all three of those have all four of the above. I don't think there's been a breakdown with the Fates versions and more popular routes but I wouldn't be shocked if more people picked Birthright. It's not rocket science as to why the series took off. You got accessible gameplay, you got a dating sim element with conventionally attractive anime characters and you have generally solid character and story work (unless you're Fates and AM/AG lmao)

I can't believe Nintendo are copying Sony smh my head

I agree with both of you, yeah.

Although tbf, I gave Fire Emblem Three Houses a chance and idk, It didn't click with me gameplay-wise.

Story-wise It is freaking awesome: all the characters are amazing, the conflict is very fascinating and well executed, the character designs are very good and I can easily see why people wanted Three Houses stuff in media such as Smash.

But yeah... I personally felt that the game required a lot of thinking and taking things slowly in the Gameplay... And ya'll know me, I'm as hyperactive as Sonic The Hedgehog or a Metroid speedrunner. I like taking things as fast as possible and am more of a spectacle person. That's why Sonic Frontiers, Dragon Ball FighterZ, Guilty Gear Strive and Shredder's Revenge clicked so much with me: those games REALLY want you to play them with speed and fashion.

So yeah, Fire Emblem may not be my thing outside the GBA games, but I still value what It has done for strategy games as a whole and really enjoy the story in the games.

Noipoi

Howdy!
Idk about you. But I get nervous around universal certainty…. Well… other peoples universal certainty. Not my own.
I get excited about universal certainty, but only in regards to things I want. It’s also worked against me before.

I remember a few years ago all the insiders started saying the first Pokémon game on the Switch would be a Kanto remake with motion controls, and despite all these credible sources backing it up I tried to deny it because it sounded like the worst thing ever.

And look what happened :054:

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
Post was warned for inflammatory content

Change is scary.
Sometimes I wish you could just tell other people in here to go screw themselves without getting a flaming warning. I’m sorry your weeb RPGs like fire emblem and Xenoblade don’t appeal to me and that Metroid, DK, Star Fox, and Kirby do. Apparently that makes me an angry 40 year old boomer even though I’m only 25. Of course I want the stuff I like to be bigger because then that means I get more stuff. And the thing I’m sick of is people like you acting like smug jackasses just because your favorite game has managed to sell more units. And I’m tired of you waving that around like it’s some sort of validation. Like “yeah my game succeeded the most in the evil exploitative capitalist world economy so it’s better than yours”! La de ****ing da.

TheMightyP

Smash Obsessed
Ngl, one of the reasons why I'm trying to get into non and less popular Nintendo gaming is so it doesn't happen to me, as well as getting a better appreciation of gaming as a whole.

If I'm 40 and I catch myself arguing with a 16 year old on why Nintendo's newest a-list series Poppli's Battle Royale doesn't deserve a rep in Smash, I'd just end it all.

Ok not really but I refuse to turn into a Francis. You know, the
8urrpzs05mk81 (1).png

(And real talk, I'd be too grown to care. I probably got a wife and maybe kids by then... I hope.)

Jotadé

Smash Ace
I get excited about universal certainty, but only in regards to things I want. It’s also worked against me before.

I remember a few years ago all the insiders started saying the first Pokémon game on the Switch would be a Kanto remake with motion controls, and despite all these credible sources backing it up I tried to deny it because it sounded like the worst thing ever.

And look what happened :054:
Yeah yeah, I get what you say ^^

It happened to me with X-Men 97 as well, some leakers were saying the animation would be similar to What If's but with a very good cell-shaded filter and even though I felt that could turn out well if done right... I was very scared thinking about the worst case scenario.

And well... It turned out to be that way, but thankfully the execution seems to have turned out amazing.

Noipoi

Howdy!
Sometimes I wish you could just tell other people in here to go screw themselves without getting a flaming warning. I’m sorry your weeb RPGs like fire emblem and Xenoblade don’t appeal to me and that Metroid, DK, Star Fox, and Kirby do. Apparently that makes me an angry 40 year old boomer even though I’m only 25. Of course I want the stuff I like to be bigger because then that means I get more stuff. And the thing I’m sick of is people like you acting like smug jackasses just because your favorite game has managed to sell more units. And I’m tired of you waving that around like it’s some sort of validation. Like “yeah my game succeeded the most in the evil exploitative capitalist world economy so it’s better than yours”! La de ****ing da.

Alright it might be time for you to hop off the computer for the day, bud. It’s not that serious.

Go take a walk or something :217:

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719

To be fair, Nintendo's catalog has always been full of plenty of both Scrimblos and McJRPG's. It's just that games require too much manpower to make now to keep all the platformers and Star Fox and F-Zero and such alive while still making sure a new FE can still come out every 2-3 years.

Jotadé

Smash Ace
Ngl, one of the reasons why I'm trying to get into non and less popular Nintendo gaming is so it doesn't happen to me, as well as getting a better appreciation of gaming as a whole.

If I'm 40 and I catch myself arguing with a 16 year old on why Nintendo's newest a-list series Poppli's Battle Royale doesn't deserve a rep in Smash, I'd just end it all.

View attachment 384968

(And real talk, I'd be too grown to care. I probably got a wife and maybe kids by then... I hope.)
Honestly my motto is the same one from the Lion King (at least in the spanish version): Akuna Matata, live and let live.

Most people should be able to enjoy the media they want or are passionate about, and I ain't a figure key person who has the right to tell them what to like and dislike.

And hey! It is amazing when someone introduces you to something you didn't think much about and It turns out to be one of the greatest things ever. It happened to me with the Superman & Lois and Harley Quinn TV shows, right now some of my favourite superhero media ever released.

Jondolio

Smash Hero

View attachment 384968

I used to be scared that it'll happen to me but tbh I mellowed out too much to really care anymore.

Do I think I'm gonna be rich and successful and married with a wife and kids at 40? Nah, but at least I won't be yelling at kids over Nintendo games in a remote corner of the internet.

Last edited:

TheMightyP

Smash Obsessed
To be fair, Nintendo's catalog has always been full of plenty of both Scrimblos and McJRPG's. It's just that games require too much manpower to make now to keep all the platformers and Star Fox and F-Zero and such alive while still making sure a new FE can still come out every 2-3 years.
Tbf, it's not the main Nintendo team doing McJRPGs, they outsource most of them to 2nd parties. Which frees up focus to allow Nintendo EPD to have Mario and Zelda to expand into much larger games. ToTK was all hands on deck.
It is truly not that serious.

Jondolio

Smash Hero
Girl, if this is the kind of stuff that really gets to you I think you need to dial back on your social media usage, it's just video games

Last edited:

Noipoi

Howdy!
What if the supposed Partner Showcase this week was delayed to next week because they just decided to delay the Switch 2 to next year, a now they’re scrambling to edit together a normal direct so they have a few game announcements for 2024.

This has been conspiracy theories with Noipoi

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804
The thing is you need dedicated teams and Main People to make these games.
The problem for Star Fox is... that's Miyamoto and also the last Star Fox game was complete ass. Get some young blood in that wants to work on those IPs and you'll get those IPs. You consistently get FEs and Xeno****s because that's the main things IS and Monolith focus on outside of Paper Mario and having support teams for other titles. They even brought in KT to develop Three Houses. They don't really do non-RPG titles as their main thing.

Jotadé

Smash Ace
Ngl doh, It is true that sometimes I am scared of sharing certain stuff here specifically out of fear of people finding It too uncool or something like that.

One example is that I've been sitting for a really long time on sharing with ya'll my review of Super Mario RPG because I know people such as Cutie Gwen Cutie Gwen to name someone aren't really huge on It and have... Shared really strong views on It.

Now, that doesn't mean I hate anybody here: ya'll are awesome people with a lot of talents and strength Who want to help improve the world. That's amazing and admirable, and I have nothing but respect for ya'll as such.

But yeah... I don't wanna get on anybody's wrong side just for talking about a game they really don't enjoy at all.

Aurane

ㅤㅤㅤㅤ
You're 25?

Jondolio

Smash Hero
Ngl doh, It is true that sometimes I am scared of sharing certain stuff here specifically out of fear of people finding It too uncool or something like that.

One example is that I've been sitting for a really long time on sharing with ya'll my review of Super Mario RPG because I know people such as Cutie Gwen Cutie Gwen to name someone aren't really huge on It and have... Shared really strong views on It.

Now, that doesn't mean I hate anybody here: ya'll are awesome people with a lot of talents and strength Who want to help improve the world. That's amazing and admirable, and I have nothing but respect for ya'll as such.

But yeah... I don't wanna get on anybody's wrong side just for talking about a game they really don't enjoy at all.
Dude, you can talk about literally whatever you want here. Like people won't necessarily respond to it but the best part about this thread is that you can talk about whatever you want and it won't feel out of place, unless it's like super heavy stuff.

Like I'm pretty sure only half of this thread cares about One Piece (and that's a generous estimate) but I'll talk about it as much as I want

Jotadé

Smash Ace
Dude, you can talk about literally whatever you want here. Like people won't necessarily respond to it but the best part about this thread is that you can talk about whatever you want and it won't feel out of place, unless it's like super heavy stuff.

Like I'm pretty sure only half of this thread cares about One Piece (and that's a generous estimate) but I'll talk about it as much as I want
Thanks! I really appreciate your support on this.

Yeah, It is true that Gwen and other people did tell me that they appreciate the stuff I post because It doesn't feel as destructive or harmful as other stuff posted in the past on the site. Maybe if I were to post my review of said game people would be cool with It as It will likely be as comfy as chill as most of my posts in recent time.

Ok then! Will post my review tomorrow and hopefully some people get a good time out of reading It! ^^

Thanks Jon.

Aurane

ㅤㅤㅤㅤ
Its an open thread for everyone, but I personally just insert myself into topics here, maybe meme a bit, and then leave.

Most topics I bring up are usually ignored. So I just spectate until a topic seems interesting to me.

Jondolio

Smash Hero
Thanks! I really appreciate your support on this.

Yeah, It is true that Gwen and other people did tell me that they appreciate the stuff I post because It doesn't feel as destructive or harmful as other stuff posted in the past on the site. Maybe if I were to post my review of said game people would be cool with It as It will likely be as comfy as chill as most of my posts in recent time.

Ok then! Will post my review tomorrow and hopefully some people get a good time out of reading It! ^^

Thanks Jon.
No problem! Also uhhhhhh

I haven't really publicly said it here (although I did change my name on Discord) but I go by Jessie or Jess now so please refer to me by either of those names

Jotadé

Smash Ace
No problem! Also uhhhhhh

I haven't really publicly said it here (although I did change my name on Discord) but I go by Jessie or Jess now so please refer to me by either of those names
Sure Jess! Will remember to do so!

Wonderful name btw, I really like It! ^^

Top Bottom