• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social The Social Thread 3.2.1

Favorite announcement of this Direct?

• Total voters

TheMightyP

Smash Obsessed
It has to be Mr.Landlord, right?

DIET SODA and playing Pee Ess Two is going to go down as a meme.
Ngl the Landlord may be weird but he was real for that.

I'd skip work to smoke weed and drink diet soda and play Burnout Revenge on the Pee Ess Too. Allan was geeking for passing on that.

Well minus the smoke weed part I'm a good Christian kid and son of a cop so I'd never do that. No seriously I don't but I'd take the landlord up on his offer

Jotadé

Smash Ace
Just completed the original Darkstalkers as Lord Raptor.

You know, Morrigan aside because everyone knows her already, this game has really cool characters to play as with incredible animations for the time. Going from Street Fighter 2 to Darkstalkers feels like a radical jump in a good way.

I can see how It inspired future Capcom fighters such as the Alpha serie, Jojo or Marvel Superheroes.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
Allan was geeking for passing on that.
Allan declined because it wasn't Burnout Revenge for da three sicks tee

He needs that Early 7th Gen Bloom™ to enjoy mid-2000s multiplats

(no but seriously I associate Burnout Revenge with the Xbox 360 more just because mine came with the demo for it)

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
Oooooh, I see.

Well, I guess they added both Miles and Gwen to gather more interest on the variant cover, although It would have been cool if Starling was there as well yeah.
Probably not helping that Miles still has romantic feelings for Kamala as well

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
Ooromine IV, the second planet from the sun FS-176
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
Gonna apologize for worrying y'all yesterday, I'm really going through a bad time right now and do not have access to my therapist, ****'s rough, nevee underestimate mental issues, that quickly gets to physical ones
I am truly sorry for not seeing it or replying until now. My condolences for the circumstances that led to things being that dire.

For whatever differences we may have had, I would never want something that awful to happen to you.

You have a good head on your shoulders, a presence that is genuinely felt in all your actions/every conversation you bring here (know that I'm not the only one here who feels that way). We won't know to what extent exactly but you've gone through and (still) go through a lot just for existing as you do. What I do know how much it sucks to feel like you're getting the patronizing "it's gonna be alright" stuff over and over again, I'm struggling with it myself what feels like every other day. **** sucks, but there's a reason they stress it so much, before you do anything you can't take back. Even acknowledging that much is no small feat. I'm glad you realised and apologized, but more glad that you point out how serious it is. Truly hope you can reach your therapist as soon as possible, I know it's not much but you're in my thoughts.

Jotadé

Smash Ace
Gonna apologize for worrying y'all yesterday, I'm really going through a bad time right now and do not have access to my therapist, ****'s rough, nevee underestimate mental issues, that quickly gets to physical ones
It's ok Gwen, I understand and pray that things improve for you.

Remember that if you ever need anything my PMs are open. Even if I don't know what to say, I am a good listener :)

Pink Yoshi

Smash Champion
Ok but what if someone's "fursona" was like a Xenomorph from Alien?

Like that's 100% not a furry or a scalie.
Now that you mention it I probably could've mentioned something more alien-istic than the Chozo lol. The Zeti from Sonic are a good example of the aliens I had in mind when discussing alien fursonas

IT'S SUPERNATURAL EXTRATERRESTRIAL-

dezeray112

Smash Hero
Just completed the original Darkstalkers as Lord Raptor.

You know, Morrigan aside because everyone knows her already, this game has really cool characters to play as with incredible animations for the time. Going from Street Fighter 2 to Darkstalkers feels like a radical jump in a good way.

I can see how It inspired future Capcom fighters such as the Alpha serie, Jojo or Marvel Superheroes.
Totally agree with bolded which is what drew me in to the Darkstalkers franchise.

In addition, I will say that Darkstalkers also had a rather interesting story concept and stage designs as well.

Last edited:

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
SW: 5586-2837-4585
Please remeber that men deserve love and male lonliness is 100% a thing

Please, please, please tell your homies you love them

And women and men with self esteem issues,
pLEASE stop being assholes to men, you are part of the reason why they dont express themselves

Also to everyone in the world, while, yes, some men are at fault, not all of them are. Stop staying all me are **** when its just your bestfriend/ex thats ****

Last edited:

Jotadé

Smash Ace
To add onto what Professor Pumpkaboo Professor Pumpkaboo said, on a kinda related note, I also am someone who personally believes on redemption arcs, even for people who aren't on their 20s anymore.

It happened with my mother for example, who used to be really mean and military-like with me back when I was 10, but eventually became a very strong LGBTIQ ally and someone I could trust for my personal problems thanks to her experiences.

And yeah, I also enjoy redemption arcs on media, being an example how characters such as Plastic Man from DC or Cody from Street Fighter have become some of my favourite ones due to their satisfying character arcs. I kinda even reflect myself with Cody because just like him in SFIV I was at a point of life once where I thought I was beyond saving due to all the people I had letdown... But eventually I found trust and love in new people I've met in recent years both online and IRL... And now I can say I see myself on his SFV self in the sense that I went from giving Up on everything to taking a hold of my life and effectively "turn the beat back".

So yeah, even if you think some men and women are beyond saving... Just try to keep yourself together, and let life teach them the needed lessons with time.

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946
I was watching mob Psycho and then all of it sudden it hit me that this guys voice actor:

IMG_1018.jpeg

Is the same one who voices basically the same character in danganronpa 2.

Also he’s endeavor which I probably should have realized first lol

TheMightyP

Smash Obsessed
So can I be a bit personal for a bit? I'm asking for advice for those who've been in a similar situation.

My grandmother isn't doing so hot. She's had dementia for several years now, and the past couple years it's progressed significantly worse. She had several strokes (or seizures, nobody knows for sure), her motor abilities have drastically faltered, she can't use the bathroom, 95% deaf and she can't walk anymore. I'm expecting her to not be around after this year.

I was pretty close to her before the dementia, I regularly visted her over the summer, there were times I had sleepovers at her place, and above all I still love her so I know this is gonna hurt like a mf. My parents are discussing hospice (and tbh yeah I agree), and I've been trying to prepare myself for the inevitable all throughout this year.

So my question is, for those who were in similar situations, how did y'all brace for the impact, and cope with the loss and all that? While I had family members pass before, this is the first one I was ever truly close too. So like, any advice helps.

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
Please remeber that men deserve love and male lonliness is 100% a thing

Please, please, please tell your homies you love them

And women and men with self esteem issues,
pLEASE stop being assholes to men, you are part of the reason why they dont express themselves

Also to everyone in the world, while, yes, some men are at fault, not all of them are. Stop staying all me are ** when its just your bestfriend/ex thats **
"But here is the truth: not all men are what you think they are. Man does not mean what you think it means. Generalizing harshly and broadly but implying 'you know which ones I mean' is an intellectual and rhetorical laziness that is not allowed to pass anywhere else in these communities. Because we don’t get to choose who our words and behavior affect, we are obligated to choose them carefully. " - Jennifer Coats

Seriously though I was so scared to explore my gender identity for so long because I internalized this idea that being male made me a pervert, and as such that my feelings around gender must be perverted. Petty genderwars nonsense disguised as feminism did not help. And some people act like it's some big surprise that internet feminism has a terf problem! Bleh.

Last edited:

Jotadé

Smash Ace
So can I be a bit personal for a bit? I'm asking for advice for those who've been in a similar situation.

My grandmother isn't doing so hot. She's had dementia for several years now, and the past couple years it's progressed significantly worse. She had several strokes (or seizures, nobody knows for sure), her motor abilities have drastically faltered, she can't use the bathroom, 95% deaf and she can't walk anymore. I'm expecting her to not be around after this year.

I was pretty close to her before the dementia, I regularly visted her over the summer, there were times I had sleepovers at her place, and above all I still love her so I know this is gonna hurt like a mf. My parents are discussing hospice (and tbh yeah I agree), and I've been trying to prepare myself for the inevitable all throughout this year.

So my question is, for those who were in similar situations, how did y'all brace for the impact, and cope with the loss and all that? While I had family members pass before, this is the first one I was ever truly close too. So like, any advice helps.
Had this exact situation happen to me with the grandma of one of my IRL friends last year (his family was always very supportive, thoughtful and kind to me, so her death hurt me in a way) and currently with my grandpa, who while not having dementia or anything like that, he has a sort of cancer and can't even go to the bathroom recently. We basically take turns between my mother and I, my Aunt and my uncle to go the entire week to take care of him.

Honestly MightyP, death is a complex matter, people handle It in extremely different ways. I personally, am not someone who goes to the funerals of close family members because of my inability to cry, so the way I handle It is by spending some time on my own, and get myself to relax and prepare myself to support in any way my other family members. I do go to the funerals of people unrelated to my family, since I can hide my inability to cry easier and people usually want me to be there so I can emotionally support them and help them distract themselves a little.

So yeah, if you were to ask me on personal experience, I would try my best to be there for your family members. It is gonna be tough, specially because she was someone really close to you, but trust me when I say that if your family really loves you, they will deeply appreciate just the fact you are spending time near them and giving all the support you genuiely can to make sure ya'll get through this.

Whatever happens, just know that you can count on me or Noipoi Noipoi if you ever need anything. Both of us would love to help you in any shape or form.

TheMightyP

Smash Obsessed

Update: As I was typing this, she had another medical emergency. 911 dialed and all.

Idk man I'm in a state of being over this, wanting her suffering to end, whie also not wanting her to die. Happens every other month man...

Edit: actually, seeing her suffering hurts the more than anything. I think I'm ready for her to rest peacefully. It's gonna hurt but she just can't keep living like this.

Last edited:

Noipoi

Howdy!

That’s really rough man, it sucks that this is happening. But unfortunately this is just a part of life. I’m thankful that I’ve yet to experience this myself, but my grandparents are getting close to that point too. They aren’t getting any younger, I can tell it’s only a matter of time.

It kinda freaks me out, but something I’ve been telling myself is that this is the next step. They’ve had long lives, I’ve only been around for a fraction of them. And for anyone who reaches that age there will come a moment when it’s time to leave this earth behind and embark on the next adventure, one we can’t join them on quite yet.

I guess my advice would be to enjoy the time with her that you have, first and foremost. Do the things you both liked and do what you can for her to make her comfortable. When the day comes when it’s time for her to take that next step, it’ll be really sad. But it’s not a case where someone’s life was cut tragically short, this is her reaching the end of her time with us and heading off to parts unknown. So it is sad, but maybe there can be a little joy in that too. Celebrate the life she had with all of you, that meant something. She’ll be keeping you in her heart forever in the world beyond.

That’s just how I look at it at least. Hope this helped.

TheMightyP

Smash Obsessed
Had this exact situation happen to me with the grandma of one of my IRL friends last year (his family was always very supportive, thoughtful and kind to me, so her death hurt me in a way) and currently with my grandpa, who while not having dementia or anything like that, he has a sort of cancer and can't even go to the bathroom recently. We basically take turns between my mother and I, my Aunt and my uncle to go the entire week to take care of him.

Honestly MightyP, death is a complex matter, people handle It in extremely different ways. I personally, am not someone who goes to the funerals of close family members because of my inability to cry, so the way I handle It is by spending some time on my own, and get myself to relax and prepare myself to support in any way my other family members. I do go to the funerals of people unrelated to my family, since I can hide my inability to cry easier and people usually want me to be there so I can emotionally support them and help them distract themselves a little.

So yeah, if you were to ask me on personal experience, I would try my best to be there for your family members. It is gonna be tough, specially because she was someone really close to you, but trust me when I say that if your family really loves you, they will deeply appreciate just the fact you are spending time near them and giving all the support you genuiely can to make sure ya'll get through this.

Whatever happens, just know that you can count on me or Noipoi Noipoi if you ever need anything. Both of us would love to help you in any shape or form.
That’s really rough man, it sucks that this is happening. But unfortunately this is just a part of life. I’m thankful that I’ve yet to experience this myself, but my grandparents are getting close to that point too. They aren’t getting any younger, I can tell it’s only a matter of time.

It kinda freaks me out, but something I’ve been telling myself is that this is the next step. They’ve had long lives, I’ve only been around for a fraction of them. And for anyone who reaches that age there will come a moment when it’s time to leave this earth behind and embark on the next adventure, one we can’t join them on quite yet.

I guess my advice would be to enjoy the time with her that you have, first and foremost. Do the things you both liked and do what you can for her to make her comfortable. When the day comes when it’s time for her to take that next step, it’ll be really sad. But it’s not a case where someone’s life was cut tragically short, this is her reaching the end of her time with us and heading off to parts unknown. So it is sad, but maybe there can be a little joy in that too. Celebrate the life she had with all of you, that meant something. She’ll be keeping you in her heart forever in the world beyond.

That’s just how I look at it at least. Hope this helped.
Thanks guys.

I said it in my last edit but truth is the suffering is what hurts the most. Her not being able to recognize the family or able to walk or eat by herself or really anything but sit and watch tv or read her newspaper (and I mean that very loosely) sucks.

Like this is gonna sound terrible, but I'm ready for her to pass on. Nobody wants a loved one to die, but is it truly living if you can't do anything but sit and suffer? It's just cruel to witness and be helpless

Noipoi

Howdy!
Thanks guys.

I said it in my last edit but truth is the suffering is what hurts the most. Her not being able to recognize the family or able to walk or eat by herself or really anything but sit and watch tv or read her newspaper (and I mean that very loosely) sucks.

Like this is gonna sound terrible, but I'm ready for her to pass on. Nobody wants a loved one to die, but is it truly living if you can't do anything but sit and suffer? It's just cruel to witness and be helpless

That just means you have a heart, dude.

Obviously no one wants a loved one to die, but it’s clear that her life has reached its end. She’s in pain, and you don’t want her to be. That makes total sense.

Top Bottom