• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social The Social Thread 3.2.1

Favorite announcement of this Direct?

• Total voters

StormC

Smash Hero
I wonder if certain games like TOTK will get patches for the new Switch. Nintendo has consistently been good about BC though so that was never in any danger outside of pointless fearmongering.

Noipoi

Howdy!
Also Mario Wonder does not have a "new identity". If you think that's a new identity than you're definition is too loose.
IMG_7415.jpeg

I dunno man, the whole gimmick of the trippy Wonder effects makes it distinct from the other 2D Mario’s. Thats its identity.

Like how 3 has the whole stage play thing, or World has the dinosaur theme.

I think you’re mistaking the term identity for something else dude cuz you’re kinda talking nonsense.

SnakeFighter64

Pranked!
View attachment 384603

I dunno man, the whole gimmick of the trippy Wonder effects makes it distinct from the other 2D Mario’s. Thats its identity.

Like how 3 has the whole stage play thing, or World has the dinosaur theme.

I think you’re mistaking the term identity for something else dude cuz you’re kinda talking nonsense.
2D Mario and 3D Mario have different identities because they're fundamentally different games, as an example. Sonic and Metroid have different identities because they play completely differently. In order for Mario Wonder to have a "new identity" it would need to fundamentally become something else and just barely qualify as "2D Mario" because yes it has Mario and yes it is in 2D. Like if it was... IDK a beat em up or something and you tried to say that was the next 2D Mario. That would be a "new identity".

You can look at it differently, if you want, but then I think you're being too forgiving about what a game's identity is and what causes it to change.

Noipoi

Howdy!
2D Mario and 3D Mario have different identities because they're fundamentally different games, as an example. Sonic and Metroid have different identities because they play completely differently. In order for Mario Wonder to have a "new identity" it would need to fundamentally become something else and just barely qualify as "2D Mario" because yes it has Mario and yes it is in 2D. Like if it was... IDK a beat em up or something and you tried to say that was the next 2D Mario. That would be a "new identity".

You can look at it differently, if you want, but then I think you're being too forgiving about what a game's identity is and what causes it to change.
carl facepalm.gif

That's not an identity that's a genre, you knuckleheaded ninny.

A game's identity is the theming, artstyle, music, and any other creative decisions like that. The genre is the type of gameplay.

SnakeFighter64

Pranked!
I also think we're fundamentally misrepresenting how many times Nintendo has done "the exact same thing" as Star Fox 64. Like, Command sure as hell wasn't the same thing as Star Fox 64. And if you're counting 64 3D than I think you're putting your thumb on the scale.

Pink Yoshi

Smash Champion
I just discovered Horseland...

And I have to formally apologize to Trollz with a Z because oh dear god

Li Speaks has a video on it. And frankly...I feel bad she had to watch this. It is no exaggeration 2000% baaaaaaaaaad.

Noipoi

Howdy!
I just discovered Horseland...

And I have to formally apologize to Trollz with a Z because oh dear god

Li Speaks has a video on it. And frankly...I feel bad she had to watch this. It is no exaggeration 2000% baaaaaaaaaad.
I had a little sister growing up in the early-mid 2000s.

I’ve seen it all :217:

Dinoman96

Smash Master
I also think we're fundamentally misrepresenting how many times Nintendo has done "the exact same thing" as Star Fox 64. Like, Command sure as hell wasn't the same thing as Star Fox 64. And if you're counting 64 3D than I think you're putting your thumb on the scale.
Even Zero is honestly pretty hugely different from 64 as far as actual mechanics and level design is concerned, it's only really the story and characters that are mostly recycled from SF64.

SnakeFighter64

Pranked!
That's not an identity that's a genre, you knuckleheaded ninny.

A game's identity is the theming, artstyle, music, and any other creative decisions like that. The genre is the type of gameplay.
I mean... in that case a series can't have an identity because that stuff always changes. Individual games can, but by your definition an identity can't link the entries in a franchise. And I think that's a wrong way of looking at things.
Even Zero is honestly pretty hugely different from 64 as far as actual mechanics and level design is concerned, it's only really the story and characters that are mostly recycled from SF64.
It would have been nice if those mechanics and level design had been in a game that had a different story and was at least a follow up to 64. Even if they still used Andross.

Noipoi

Howdy!
I mean... in that case a series can't have an identity because that stuff always changes. Individual games can, but by your definition an identity can't link the entries in a franchise. And I think that's a wrong way of looking at things.
Incorrect, my often mistaken friend.

See, a long running franchise can have games with individual themes, but it’ll still have an overarching identity that ties the franchise together.

To once again go back to Mario, individual games can have their own themes. Sunshine was a vacation, Galaxy was space, Odyssey was a globe trotting adventure, and so on. But they all share the general identity of Mario, with things like Goombas and Koopas, warp pipes and ? blocks, and the general sense of a lighthearted but whimsical and epic adventure with a portly plumber.

Last edited:

NonSpecificGuy

V Has Come To
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
“Back in my day I liked every single post I came across and caused issue for all the moderators and admins here!”

“Sure, Grandpa now let’s get you back to bed”

IMG_3633.jpeg

Can’t believe it’s been 10 Years honestly though.

SnakeFighter64

Pranked!
how do you feel about Mario Odyssey then Snake
It's fine. Like... I don't think the capture Mechanic is all that interesting and sansbox Mario isn't as interesting as the 3D World style. But it's still Mario, with a lot of it's tried and true merits and faults.
Incorrect, my often mistaken friend.

See, a long running franchise can have games with individual themes, but it’ll still have an overarching identity that ties the franchise together.

To once again go back to Mario, individual games can have their own themes. Sunshine was a vacation, Galaxy was space, Odyssey was a globe trotting adventure, and so on. But they all share the general identity of Mario, with things like Goombas and Koopas, warp pipes and ? blocks, and the general sense of a lighthearted but whimsical and epic adventure with a portly plumber.
... I feel like we're getting dangerously close to philosophy where we start talking about things that don't really matter. Like... I'd say the franchise identity is all that really matters because that's what the series will always be when you come back to it, and that is inherently liked to it's most important aspects of game-play. Like... I as a person don't have a different identity on Halloween because my house is decorated differently and I'm wearing different clothes. My identity is what makes me me, and is omnipresent and immutable, no matter what new thing I might be trying out.

So if you take something that makes up a game's identity, and remove it, or if you add so much that the original identity is barely there anymore, then I think you're doing a bad. Yes, series should change as time goes on so every installment isn't a literal remake on what came before but there's a balance between iteration and innovation that needs to be struck. And, getting back to the original point, I don't think this proposed new direction for Star Fox by MightyP has that balance. I also don't think that, for all the things Mario Wonder does to make itself stand out from the series past entries on a cosmetic level, it really does all that much to change it's identity. Again, i'm not a new person just because I put on a bunch of face paint and wear a crazy costume.

Add to that the fact that I question the reason why Star Fox even "needs" these innovations and there you go.

Noipoi

Howdy!
It's fine. Like... I don't think the capture Mechanic is all that interesting and sansbox Mario isn't as interesting as the 3D World style. But it's still Mario, with a lot of it's tried and true merits and faults.

... I feel like we're getting dangerously close to philosophy where we start talking about things that don't really matter. Like... I'd say the franchise identity is all that really matters because that's what the series will always be when you come back to it, and that is inherently liked to it's most important aspects of game-play. Like... I as a person don't have a different identity on Halloween because my house is decorated differently and I'm wearing different clothes. My identity is what makes me me, and is omnipresent and immutable, no matter what new thing I might be trying out.

So if you take something that makes up a game's identity, and remove it, or if you add so much that the original identity is barely there anymore, then I think you're doing a bad. Yes, series should change as time goes on so every installment isn't a literal remake on what came before but there's a balance between iteration and innovation that needs to be struck. And, getting back to the original point, I don't think this proposed new direction for Star Fox by MightyP has that balance. I also don't think that, for all the things Mario Wonder does to make itself stand out from the series past entries on a cosmetic level, it really does all that much to change it's identity. Again, i'm not a new person just because I put on a bunch of face paint and wear a crazy costume.

Add to that the fact that I question the reason why Star Fox even "needs" these innovations and there you go.
Yeah, we’re viewing what constitutes a game’s identity as completely different things. And I’m not overly interested in trying to convince you one way or the other. I got things to do.

Also you think Odyssey is mid and in my culture that’s a crime punishable by life in prison.

Anyway I’m just gonna mark this down as another Snake Moment and keep it moving :nifty:

Last edited:

Venus of the Desert Bloom

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
“Back in my day I liked every single post I came across and caused issue for all the moderators and admins here!”

“Sure, Grandpa now let’s get you back to bed”

View attachment 384608
Can’t believe it’s been 10 Years honestly though.
Wait until the Crystal Anniversary kicks in.

Jotadé

Smash Ace
I feel this from time to time
IMG_20240211_231446.jpg

Not referring to anyone here btw, this also happened to me on some Discord servers I already left and back when I was at college/university/however you call it.

It gives me shivers down my spine when It happens, but I guess I can only move on with my life whenever It does, because sadly you can't change people's thoughts about you sometimes.

Noipoi

Howdy!
I feel this from time to time
View attachment 384610
Not referring to anyone here btw, this also happened to me on some Discord servers I already left and back when I was at college/university/however you call it.

It gives me shivers down my spine when It happens, but I guess I can only move on with my life whenever It does, because sadly you can't change people's thoughts about you sometimes.
Not everyone's gonna like you. Maybe there are people who don't enjoy your presence, but I know there are people who do! Just focus on them.

If anyone give you **** just for existing, tell em to piss of.

Jotadé

Smash Ace
Not everyone's gonna like you. Maybe there are people who don't enjoy your presence, but I know there are people who do! Just focus on them.

If anyone give you **** just for existing, tell em to piss of.
Completely agreed Noi, thanks for your constant support ❤

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Uh oh.......TVA is brought up for the whole MCU timeline mess.
It’s their HUB for the multiversal nonsense, as there wouldn’t be one without them for this narrative. Were you expecting something different? :4pacman:

Dukefire

Smash Master
It’s their HUB for the multiversal nonsense, as there wouldn’t be one without them for this narrative. Were you expecting something different? :4pacman:
Nope, I didn't think the TVA would be brought to the movie screen. Also, Deadpool and Wolverine working together on fixing the MCU timeline.

Hydreigonfan01

Smash Master
I'm guessing Deadpool & Wolverine and Joker 2 will be the only superhero movies this year that perform really well. Mostly because their spin-offs and kept separate from the MCU/DCU.

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946
The ruined Fox logo and the tattered original Secret Wars comic lmaooooo
The presence of that comic is actually huge as it backs up the rumored plot for this movie.

Which is that the TVA are recruiting the best warriors from across the multiverse for secret wars.

But that they also needed Deadpool’s help with a house of M type of situation. Something the trailer definitely sets up but does not confirm. I imagine marketing will probably continue that trend.

SnakeFighter64

Pranked!
Yeah, we’re viewing what constitutes a game’s identity as completely different things. And I’m not overly interested in trying to convince you one way or the other. I got things to do.

Also you think Odyssey is mid and in my culture that’s a crime punishable by life in prison.

Anyway I’m just gonna mark this down as another Snake Moment and keep it moving :nifty:
I mean.. I also think 64 is mid too. Haven’t played enough of Sunshine or Galaxy to judge but like… its just not that remarkable if you compare it to stuff other than other Mario games.

Shroob

Sup?
I mean.. I also think 64 is mid too. Haven’t played enough of Sunshine or Galaxy to judge but like… its just not that remarkable if you compare it to stuff other than other Mario games.
Isn't that an unfair comparison?

Like sure, Super Mario 64's good, but have you ever tried cocaine?

Kids, don't do cocaine

Top Bottom